• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FCC Comments on "Restoring Internet Freedom" Press Release Open for response

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm seriously terrified of what the internet could like like if Pai and the FCC get their way with this.

It will start off subtle. Companies like Comast, Verizon, Charter, and others will start offering a new "basic" tier of internet access. Something like $29/month, but you only get access to basic email, Facebook, and Youtube. That's it. Every other website you would try and access would be blocked. This is an obvious violation of net neutrality and the core principle of an open and free internet, but it would be marketed as a "basic" package for people who "don't need" anything more.

Fast forward 3+ years from now, and who knows what things could look like. ISPs could be requiring people to pay for "premium" packages just to access any website they want. They could be charging people $0.25 for every MB used on Steam, or $0.30 for every MB used when using Blizzard's game or services. $0.15 per MB when using Youtube. All on top of your normal bill. And of course, all of their own services (Comcast owns NBC Universal, AT&T is about to own Timer Warner) will be exempt from these extra fees.

The internet as we know it will truly be no more. What authoritarian regimes do in other countries to the internet, the ISPs will be doing the same thing here.

I kind of doubt it will play out exactly like that.

It'd be a very slow process, yes, but 3+ years from now someone else who supports Net Neutrality could be elected and overturn all of this.

ISPs aren't stupid enough to invest in the kind of tiered system that would involve throttling and blocking literally every other website imaginable because they know about that and millions upon millions of people would riot about this if they did and they'd get lawsuit on top of lawsuit.

It'd be an entirely useless endeavor that would only make them lose money.

Of course, nothing is certain, so that's why this still needs to be fought at every opportunity.

It'd be a very slow process, yes, but 3+ years from now someone else who supports Net Neutrality could be elected and overturn all of this.

ISPs aren't stupid enough to invest in the kind of tiered system that would involve throttling and blocking literally every other website imaginable because they know about that and millions upon millions of people would riot about this if they did and they'd get lawsuit on top of lawsuit.

Of course, nothing is certain, so that's why this still needs to be fought at every opportunity.

Here's hoping you're right

No problem.

"Increase competition and choice" has become more Republican code speak for literally the opposite. Any single time I've seen a scumbag Republican say those words it's always behind a decision that does the exact opposite, and often benefits only executives and cronies.

Zenner

Found a great quote, at the bottom of an article about the possible WGA strike:

http://deadline.com/2017/04/nbcu-ch...ters-strike-strong-upfront-market-1202078339/

On other matters, CEO Brian Roberts cheered FCC Chairman Ajit Pai’s announcement yesterday about his plan to reverse efforts to strongly enforce net neutrality rules.

“We’re encouraged,” Roberts says. The rules that would enable the FCC to stop Comcast and other internet providers from favoring some content services over others “puts a damper on ability to invest and react to change.”

He adds that “we support and want” net neutrality, “but not in a regulatory regime designed for a different era that doesn’t apply to the business” with “dark clouds for our investment community.”

They want it soooooo bad.

Republicans are the absolute fucking worst. Keep ruining the nation when they have any power. Where do I gain freedom when ISPs are free to restrict things unless content providers or myself pay more money? Right, they only care about the freedoms of the CEOs at the ISPs to earn more money.

Republicans are the absolute fucking worst. Keep ruining the nation when they have any power. Where do I gain freedom when ISPs are free to restrict things unless content providers or myself pay more money? Right, they only care about the freedoms of the CEOs at the ISPs to earn more money.

And the sad part is how blatant it is, yet buy into it considerably. Like questions should be asked once a Verizon head is put on the FCC to decide how companies like the one he was just at, and made millions from, should be treated. And people really look at that and say, "of course he'll address the common mans needs"

I'd like to think this was true, but there's an old adage that governments aren't usually in the business of giving back rights that they take away, unless there's a significant shift in the government. But I don't know, we can only see at this point, I guess.

And the sad part is how blatant it is, yet buy into it considerably. Like questions should be asked once a Verizon head is put on the FCC to decide how companies like the one he was just at, and made millions from, should be treated. And people really look at that and say, "of course he'll address the common mans needs"
"Who better to regulate the industry than someone who knows it inside and out?"

Fucking anyone else.

Zolo

I'd like to think this was true, but there's an old adage that governments aren't usually in the business of giving back rights that they take away, unless there's a significant shift in the government.

I think that's what's being counted on for the next election as a response to Trump.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I really, really, really hate this guy.

His face makes me want to punch kittens.

He looks like Butthead. I keep waiting for him to say "Shut up, Beavis.".

I wish I could ask Pai when exactly he decided to sell his soul to the devil. How does he look himself in the mirror without feeling like a piece of a shit?
It's just a game to them. Shareholder value is the meaning of life and the one who dies at the end with the most money wins. Fuck everyone else and anything in their way, by whatever means neccisary.

WillyFive

The name "Restoring Internet Freedom" will get a lot of supporters from the mainstream that have no idea what the name is attached to.

Once again, Republicans have the better names. A normal person seeing "Internet Freedom" vs "Net Neutrality" is going to go for Internet freedom every time.

zma1013

The name "Restoring Internet Freedom" will get a lot of supporters from the mainstream that have no idea what the name is attached to.

Once again, Republicans have the better names. A normal person seeing "Internet Freedom" vs "Net Neutrality" is going to go for Internet freedom every time.

Yep, that's pretty much it. They just tack on "Freedom" or "American" or "Patriot" to the name and no matter how good or bad it is, no matter what it actually says in the bill or law or regulation, some people will just see those words and think it must be a good thing.

Game Guru

The thing is that tacking on "Freedom," "American," and "Patriot" should be just as much a sign of, basically the opposite, as anything else. Authoritarian regimes always use political buzzwords that sound good but end up being exactly the opposite. The best modern example is North Korea, or as it is officially known, the Democratic People's Republic of Korea. It, quite unlike the name, is an undemocratic hereditary dictatorship. This sort of trend goes as far back as the Holy Roman Empire, which ended up being a loose German Confederation that couldn't even agree on what 'holy' meant.

Basically, if you've read up your modern history, feel good names should always be suspect.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

They don't have better names. They have zero shame.

If more people actually knew and understood this issue I feel like it would be seemingly one of the few things the majority of Americans would agree on. At least I hope, because if not this country is well and truly fucked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom