• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN: The attempt to roll back net neutrality has officially begun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swass

Ajit Pai, the Trump-appointed chairman of the Federal Communications Commission, laid out plans Wednesday to limit the agency's oversight of Internet service providers, potentially weakening enforcement of net neutrality.
Pai has now issued a proposal to repeal that reclassification, called Title II, raising alarms among net neutrality advocates and throughout the tech industry.
"Two years ago, I warned that we were making a serious mistake," Pai said in a speech at the Newseum in Washington D.C. "The more heavily you regulate something, the less of it you're likely to get."
Pai was vague in his speech on how the FCC would enforce net neutrality without Title II. His full proposal is expected to be published online Thursday and be voted on by the FCC on May 18. Then it will go through a period of public feedback.
"This will be the beginning of the discussion, not the end," Pai said.
The fireworks kicked off even before Pai's speech began.
More than 800 startups signed a letter to Pai on Wednesday urging him to protect net neutrality. "We ... depend on an open Internet -- including enforceable net neutrality rules that ensure big cable companies can't discriminate against people like us," they wrote.

More at the link: http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/26/technology/fcc-net-neutrality/index.html

Awesome, and I was actually having a good day, too.

Like, is there any precedent at all that this stuff can be fought in court?

RPGCrazied

Can't wait to start getting charged by google just to search for something. Netflix might become a disaster too.

Not

Banned
At least the tech companies will fight this. The only way things get done in this country is when certain people with fuckloads of money want something more than other people with fuckloads of money.

Nokterian

Pai is the worst..fuck this asshole is ruining everything and the worst part is he will not listen even if he says so. But if the likes of google,facebook etc are going to fight...shut it all down let's see what happens when people like Pai cannot do anything what they normally do.

What i hate the most about Pai what he is saying just isn't true, he is lobbyist only speaking through the likes of Verizon and other ISP's bidding to there will..not the consumer.

Nokterian

Charged by google?

They could do that now if they wanted...

This is about your ISP mostly being able to put sites and services behind pay walls.

Not only that ISP will decide on what you can and cannot do..slow and fast lanes. It is ridiculous the internet is a human right just like water and electricity it flows the same way through tubes.

Kirye

Well, isn't a monthly bill enough? How much more money do these fuckers want?

As much as you're willing to give. Most people will complain but they'll keep paying. Who cares if your customers are upset if they still pay you a premium to access Netflix on your Internet service.

TyrantII

Can't wait to start getting charged by google just to search for something. Netflix might become a disaster too.

That's not what this is about. They already technically charge you, you're just not paying them cash, but bartering in browsing data and access.

This is about ISPs wanting a cut from the provider for better access, and eventually from you for wanting better service. If you do not pay them, they will artificially degrade your service untill someone ponies up the cash.

It be like the water company only supplying you with shit infested water unless you buy into their poopless tier. Because fuck you.

Mondrian

Are they really? For example, Netflix was on the forefront of Net Neutrality back when they were a scrappy underdog. They don't seem to have that same level of fight in them these days.

Considering an ISP can put netflix behind a paywall, they will certainly fight for it. Anything that further limits their ability to grow their consumer base and hell, even maintaining current customers is something that's not in their best interest.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
"The more heavily you regulate something, the less of it you're likely to get."

Makes sense since based on all these data caps, there's obviously only so much internet to go around! We need to conserve the amount of internet we're using so we better charge people more for the privilege until we can mine for more bits and bytes.

Well, isn't a monthly bill enough? How much more money do these fuckers want?

Right now people are paying like $40-60 per month for internet. Think about how everyone is cutting the cord and how cable bills were routinely over $100 even 10 years ago. I think that's the long term goal.

I can't wait to pay for my moviebuff internet package for unlimited streaming on Netflix/hulu.

Or my media package for unlimited access to Youtube/vimeo!

Socialbutterfly deal for unlimted Facebook/twitter use for just 29.99 a month.

Or triple-play social/media/streaming package for just $90 a month, woo!

Shredderi

What does net neutrality or the lack of it mean in practical terms for you guys in the US? I'm ashamed to admit but I'm not that up to speed about it for some reason.

FyreWulff

I've found it sad that Republicans literally only cared about net neutrality as of a couple years ago and somehow twisted a rule that functionally DEREGULATES the internet into a regulation.

It just says a bit is a bit, and that's that. Companies actually PREFER this because they don't have the overhead of policing content and being held responsible for content that comes over their wire. What this fuckbasket is doing is actually adding more regulation and overhead to the internet, just offloaded to the private companies because it doesn't count when you can make AT&T pay to give you customized dumps of traffic .

What does net neutrality or the lack of it mean in practical terms for you guys in the US? I'm ashamed to admit but I'm not that up to speed about it for some reason.

Net neutrality means everyone treats all internet traffic the same, a byte is a byte, they don't care what those bytes "mean" or where they're coming from or going to. So for example Cox Cable couldn't charge you more to watch Youtube by charging more for traffic coming from Google servers.

The analogy I've come up with to explain it to family: imagine if you sent postcards. They all cost the same to mail, no matter what's on them. What Ajit and the GOP wants to do is let the postal service charge you more to send a postcard to grandma, or send postcards with the description of a video, even though it's the same size and weight no matter who it's going to, because "people will want to really mail their grandma" and ask for more money.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
I can't wait to pay for my moviebuff internet package for unlimited streaming on Netflix/hulu.

Or my media package for unlimited access to Youtube/vimeo!

Socialbutterfly deal for unlimted Facebook/twitter use for just 29.99 a month.

Or triple-play social/media/streaming package for just $90 a month, woo!

Ughhhhh.

This is the worst :/

Buy bundles of website access like cable channels. Other sites will be slowed down aritificialy.

This also means innovation is pretty much dead at this point.

Apathy

Charged by google?

They could do that now if they wanted...

This is about your ISP mostly being able to put sites and services behind pay walls.

Isn't it also the ISP charging internet companies like Google and Netflix for the privilege of being put on a fast stream on top of charging customers the privilege to access the fast streams?

WillyFive

Net neutrality is the idea that the internet can be used equally by everyone that has access to it.

For example, without enforcement of net neutrality, the company that owns the internet lines that go to your house can decide to charge you more for using something like Netflix, because that company happens to have a competitor to Netflix that they'd rather you use instead.

Conversely, those companies could simply block or slow down those websites if they don't pay them for the grace of having their content travel through their lines. Either way, it is bad for everyone except the company that owns the lines.

You'll have to pay an extra $100 a month to access NYT, WaPo, LA Times etc. but Breitbart and Info Wars will be part of the basic packages.

TyrantII

Essentially the ISP inserting itself between the content provider and the user, and demanding to be paid based on completely arbitrary metrics.

quink.png

They want to take the cable TV model and apply it to the internet. Be the gatekeeper, charge everyone for very specific access with tiered services and lock down information.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Essentially the IPS inserting itself between the content provider and the user, and demanding to be paid based on completely arbitrary metrics.

quink.png

They want to take the cable TV model and apply it to the internet. Be the gatekeeper, charge everyone for very specific access with tiered services and lock down information.

There aren't many pictures that make me as angry as that one

What a fucking shitshow

DarkKyo

Bleed the middle class until they're dry and make sure the poorest people lose access completely. I think it's pretty obvious where and what America will be in ten years.

Game Guru

Are they really? For example, Netflix was on the forefront of Net Neutrality back when they were a scrappy underdog. They don't seem to have that same level of fight in them these days.

Let me explain it in simple terms... Without Net Neutrality, Comcast, who owns the NBCUniversal content library, could theoretically offer their own version of Netflix neither forcing their own hypothetical version of Netflix to pay or throttling them while they force Netflix to pay them or face throttling. That is why Netflix will fight for Net Neutrality until the end because it could mean the end for them without Net Neutrality.

-shadow-

Essentially the IPS inserting itself between the content provider and the user, and demanding to be paid based on completely arbitrary metrics.

quink.png

A true wetdream for any of the US big ISP companies. Man I hope we'll never get this crap in Europe...

Downhome

quink.png

I don't stand with a lot of you guys on many issues, but this is certainly one where I'm on your side. It's insanity to think that this is even a remote possibility.

This image, and things like it, have any of the ISPs actually came out (publicly or even privately), that this is their ultimate goal or is all of this just a complete and total theoretical worst case scenario type of deal?

quink.png

How much of a corporate stooge can one man be? The FCC is supposed to protect us from bullshit like this, not enable it.

WillyFive

This image, and things like it, have any of the ISPs actually came out (publicly or even privately), that this is their ultimate goal or is all of this just a complete and total theoretical worst case scenario type of deal?

They have tried to do stuff this like this before the Obama administration stopped them. Obviously, the new administration disagrees with that decision.

Almighty

Net Neutrality is fucked for the next few years at best.

Feels kind of weird saying that as only a few years ago I thought this fight was settled for a decade or two at least, but here we are. Hopefully the same combination of corporate and public interest meet up again like they did last time, but I am not holding my breath.

Shredderi

Ok to say that this is bullshit would be an understatement. That sounds fucking criminal. Like, it doesn't matter if they make it legal, everyone knows it's wrong on every fucking barometer that exists. What's the "official" argument to push something so obviously malicious through?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom