• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Health packs vs health regen. Which do you prefer?

Brashnir

Regen has a lot of issues design-wise in that it can completely unbalance the player's resources if there is a good place to hide.

Health packs force resource limits on the player, which is in theory better design, but has the often unfortunate consequence of potentially putting the player in a position where they are far more resource-constrained than the designers intended.

The best system would limit player resources in such a way that they are strictly limited but completely predictable to the game's designers. Health that completely recharges once a set of encounters and/or obstacles is cleared, but does not refill at all in-between is the best way to go, but I can't really think of many games that do this.

foxdvd

I want the game developer to balance the game so that I feel a challenge and have to be on my toes when I play it. I want health regeneration or pickups to strike a perfect balance of difficulty and fun...no system is better than the other...

Old school resident evil/RPG style.

Health items plus other adverse conditions which have their own healing methods.

Overall health HP
Poison
Specific limb targeted damage (like Fallout)
Poison

And so much more.

Both systems can have problems on their own, though of course they also both have worked in some games. Still, I prefer if the designer comes up with a clever way of mixing the two systems.
For instance, in Xonotic, you have fairly slow/delayed regeneration up to half health (100), but there are also very small health packs (that respawn quickly) around the map, along with one very slow-respawning mega health (+100) and a few larger health packs (+50 and +25).
Like in Quake, the closer you are to max health (200), the quicker it drains.

I think it depends on the game, the regen system works good for call of duty, more linear shooters, because its a linear rollercoaster shooter also its hard as hell sometimes to know whose shooting you. Bullets seem to come from every angle in call of duty.

But if i play doom or wolfenstein where the maps are open then i like the resource management of health packs and ammo.

I liked the hybred system from Halo were you have a recharging shield but limited health depending if you find a health pack or not.

Fredrik

Health packs, potions, hearts, herbs etc wins without a doubt for me.

Regenerating health makes the games too easy imo, even when they're extremely difficult you can usually find a cheap blind spot in the enemies attack pattern where you can get full health again.

Unlimited ammo for the default pistol is a dumb idea too. If there is a risk that you'll get out of ammo it'll make you play in a completely different way, no sloppy aiming, every shot counts, the devs shouldn't be afraid to put us in that spot imo, it makes the games so much better.

Falchion

I hate having to stop playing the game to hunt around for health packs but systems that have some sort of shield or armor that regens and health that doesn't is fine.

Health Packs. I've never played anything so thrilling as having 23 hp because I misjudged a exploding barrel toss with gravity gun and having to zip around nailing every other enemy. Fighting tooth and nail because that's what you /had/ to do.

Regen makes me play conservatively, hiding more than I otherwise really need to because there are basically zero consequences.

UberLevi

Either as long as the game knows how to design combat encounters tailored for it. Although, I gotta say I'm a fan of regenerating segments that cap out without the aid of a health pack like in Mass Effect 3, which is basically what was mentioned in the OP. I feel like that style works best when combined with a regenerating shield though.

I prefer the systems DOOM put in place for its health system where it's a sort of aggressive regen system. Keep rushing demons and you'll keep your health at good levels. Stay back and camp and you'll end up running around like a crazy person looking for packs. Also Resistance 3 had an excellent health system (which was actually similar to Wolfenstein's system of regen to 20, 40, 60, 80, 100). And Shadow Warrior had a great health system due to a manual heal with an upgradable cap yet still having health packs to break the cap.

After DOOM and Wolfenstein, I'm for health packs, all day, every day

Doom doesn't have a health pack system.

As for me, I want a regenerative health system where you don't regenerate in combat, but outside combat, health regenerates very quickly and every encounter assumes the player has maximum health. Add in real time limited use health potions for combat and it would be pretty interesting in my opinion.

Mass Effect 3 and Halo Reach were the best
haloreach1.jpg

2123577-169_mass_effect_3_wii_U_gameplay_112612_trooper.jpg

Man, so sad that after Bungie brought back Halo 1's health system for ODST and Reach, 343i threw it all away again for Halo 4. I think Halo 5 might have returned to the classic/Reach system, but I'm not sure. Been on hiatus from Halo after 4 ran me off.

Me, personally though, I prefer the DOOM and Metal Gear Rising system of health-packs dropping from killed enemies. Part of why I love playing Reaper in Overwatch.

(Funny that I brought up OW. I just now noticed the health-bar looks like Halo 1's.)

Not sure if it's been done yet, but I want packs that regen your shield/armor, but have a separate health bar that very slowly regenerates, no health packs. Health regen rate can be similar to Wolverine: Adamantium Rage. In that game your healing factor would regenerate very slowly so you couldnt really use it as a crutch during battles.

Also if you lose your armor then your health depletes, and your performance such as speed, ability to aim, etc. is related to how much health you have. Maybe that's a bit too realistic to be fun, but I always thought it silly that you could have a sliver of life left yet be able to perform like nothing happened to you. It's like in Uncharted 2 when Nate was shot and in the middle of that winter storm, trying to cling to life. Minutes later an army comes to take him out and he's moving around like nothing is wrong.

sjay1994

I prefer the intermediate where you hold on to the health pack, and you can use them when you need to instead of the classic grab it when you need it.

It adds a layer of resource management to healing, instead of just hiding to heal or frantically running around trying to find one to heal yourself with.

draetenth

Regen, simply because I don't want to waste time hunting for a health pack when I really need it (not that waiting behind a wall for health to recharge is that much better...).

DocSeuss

If I'm playing a game that wants me to get up in there and fight, partial regen/shield. Something that lets me risk a little, but not all the way.

If I'm playing horror, health packs, for sure.

Shang

Kind of neither. I like Doom 2016's approach, where killing enemies at low health drops a ton of health pickups. Making regaining health a conscious decision is much more interesting to me.

I also like the new Wolfenstein approach, where your health heals only to the nearest multiple of ten, and you need a health item to raise it any more.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
It depends on game design. Some games aren't suited for health packs, and others are too easy with health regen. And then you have smaller differences like health packs that are found vs health packs that are dropped, or regen that is initiated by the player (I think Bad Company 1 worked like this) vs auto regen. Not to mention hybrid systems like Resistance 1 or Wolfenstein: TNO.

My personal favorite is health packs that are found. They usually require an emphasis on exploration-based level design to be done well, and those are my favorite kinds of levels.

Nzyme32

Packs.

People need to feel tension in games and a fear of dying, giving them a will to stay alive rather than just casually waltzing around. Most games that take that to heart end up being more fun for it.

Hikami

Regenerating shields but non-regenerating health is my favorite.

If the game doesn't use shields then just health packs.

Nameless

Health packs. They come with trade offs which usually make for more dynamic gameplay experiences. Plus they build better habits, especially when your supply is limited.

orborborb

Recharge stations like Marathon and Half Life should be the standard. Health packs or equipment that gives you regenerating health should be limited/rare rewards.

U can do both. In darksouls 3 there is a ring that regenerate health but reallllly slow that helps if u r wondering about but once enemies show up u need to use a health item

ViolentP

Packs. Regen is more often than not too easy to exploit.

U can do both. In darksouls 3 there is a ring that regenerate health but reallllly slow that helps if u r wondering about but once enemies show up u need to use a health item

I'm ok with this kind of mechanic so long as it's balanced. In this case, you lose a slot for another trait. It's give and take and I am a fan of it.

JordanN

Banned
When I think about it, I hate both.

I like how Project Reality/Squad handles health. You can only heal when either approached by a medic, or you use (disposable) first aid kits.

Minustephen

Neo Member
I was gonna say "regen" is pretty immersion breaking. Like in what world is regenerating health remotely plausible? At least health packs make SOME sort of sense. But then it's like... come on now. I'm getting blasted with a rocket launcher and can just pick up health to cure myself? I guess it's all ridiculous-- they're all GAMES. Breaking it down, gimme regen. I prefer that method of play for sure.

Z3M0G

Resistance Fall of Man had it perfect. A tactical mix of both. If you are down to one block, you can still survive if skillful enough

Top Bottom