• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ViviOggi

Might be a stupid question, and I have looked at some places but didn't really find an answer. Is there a point of having two of the same card? It looks like in custom decks if you only have one of a card you can play it twice. What is the point of having two of them? Should I just DE the second one for the dust?

Just starting out and trying to get a hang of things.

You got that wrong, you need two copies of any card to use it twice in the same deck. You always get two copies of the starter cards so maybe that's why you're confused. Legendaries can only be used once in a deck no matter what, so you're good to disenchant Legendaries when you have more than one of them and any other rarity when you've got more than two.

Although if you can afford it it's wise to keep dupes that might get nerfed in the future for the full de value, especially with Legendaries (400 vs 1600 dust).

mackattk

You got that wrong, you need two copies of any card to use it twice in the same deck. You always get two copies of the starter cards so maybe that's why you're confused. Legendaries can only be used once in a deck no matter what, so you're good to disenchant Legendaries when you have more than one of them and any other rarity when you've got more than two.

Although if you can afford it it's wise to keep dupes that might get nerfed in the future for the full de value, especially with Legendaries (400 vs 1600 dust).

I guess it was the starter cards that I was getting confused on. Thanks for clearing this up.

Brakara

We could do an international "Level 10" tourney if there weren't a lot of regions in play. Some classes are bad without their rares though. Would be a lot of mages.

You have to grind for new cards, but an unheroic tournament (basic + commons only) should be achievable for anyone. Only basic cards would have a too small card pool IMHO.

How do I actually change regions?

Not enabled yet (but "very very soon").

I guess it was the starter cards that I was getting confused on. Thanks for clearing this up.

Yeah, the cards you unlock from the classes are unlocked in pairs. Those you get from boosters are just single copies and you need to eiter craft a second or find another one to use two in a deck.

By all means, DE the 3rd copy of cards (on the off chance you weren't aware of that already).

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
I found out why my game wouldnt load right!!

Apparently it was D3DOverrider that was causing the issue on my PC!!

YAAAAAY! NOW I CAN TRY THIS GAME!! YAAAAAY!

so if you have issues with the video not loading but having sound and mouse control, it could be D3DOverrider

scy

VC is there as a threat that makes great use of the way the deck operates but isn't actually vital to it. Miracle Rogue is all about the card draw engine of the cheap spells + Gadgetzan Auctioneer + Preparations and then Shadowstep + Leeroy as a finisher.

You can find other ways to do the deck, albeit less efficiently, with Mana Addicts or Questing Adventurer instead of VC. VC is just a nice way to go Backstab -> Coin -> VC for a 6/6 on Turn 2, for instance.

Myomoto

Is possible without Van Cleef?

You can use a Questing Adventurer or a Mana Addict instead of VanCleef (run 2x Conceal in that case). It won't have the flexibility of VanCleef, and it won't be able to deal as much damage early in the game, but it will still function fairly well. One of the great things about VanCleef is how he interacts with Shadowstep, since you can play him, Shadowstep him and then play him again as a 6/6 total for 1 card and 4 mana. Shadowstep is also useful to heal him/if he's been silenced.

ShinNL

Man, I still hate Wild Pyromancer + Equality, It's not even the same league as Brawl, Twisting Nether or Flamestrike, because Paladins still have Consecration and Avenging Wrath at their disposal, all doing plenty of AoE damage for smaller boards. And of course all those cards combo in some way and are effective on their own.

eznark

Banned
So before the latest patch I had disconnected zero times in hundreds of games. Now I have disconnected (and been unable to reconnect) 6 times in two days.

Great!

Alarm-o-bot is actually pretty fun with a demon warlock, as I'm finding in this arena run. Thought it was a trash card but it's doing a ton of work playing minions with disadvantageous battlecries.

So I've been playing this game more than I should for the last week, and all I gotta say is:

Fuck Jaina

I'm trying to play Shaman as I found it to be my favorite class, but I feel like I need to get so many of the cards before I can make the deck work.

Tarazet

This going to be my first trading card game.

Could you guys give me some guidance which class to explore first? I would like to realy understand one class before moving on to the next.

Which steps should I take??

Two ways you can go imo.. Mage and Hunter both have really solid basic decks and common cards. Easy to use, hard to master.

At first it's good to play tempo/board control decks or just plain old rush decks.. make good trades where you can and take only the early to mid-game removal spells like Frostbolt, Arcane Missiles, Fireball, Polymorph, Explosive Trap and Frost Trap, Deadly Shot, Multi-Shot.

Do some practice to learn which plays result in you being efficient with your cards, but not so stingy that you fall behind.

And always use enough 2-cost minions that play well into an empty board, like Loot Hoarder, Faerie Dragon, Bloodfen Raptor. If you put in too much stuff that depends on synergy to be good, you're going to be blown out whenever you don't get your nut draw.

Okay second pick of my new arena round. I'm shaman being offered illidan, Harrison Jones, and TBK. First pick was spirit wolves against trash. Wat do?

linkent

Just got my 4th legendary.. (Previously have king krush, harrison jones, crafted leeroy)
Was so excited when i saw the yellow light..
Turn out to be gold tinkmaster and feel sad to get it due recent nerf..
BUT WAIT!!! Full DE dust!!!! Yeeehaaaa excited again..
Thinking of crafting rag or jaraxus

Okay second pick of my new arena round. I'm shaman being offered illidan, Harrison Jones, and TBK. First pick was spirit wolves against trash. Wat do?

TBK! Assuming that is the black knight?

It's been nice to swap out my second acidic swamp ooze for a harrison. I think I have some decks where I just run harrison as the only weapon removal. Came in handy against a jaraxus once haha.

> Opponent plays Onyxia into empty board
> Have Flamestrike and Blizzard in hand and 9 mana
> Decide to play Mind Control Tech first, on a whim
> Take control of Onyxia at random, then cast Blizzard

Poor guy. lol.

Started playing a bit of mage again. It's fun smacking people in the face and finishing them off with double fireball or pyroblast.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Saw my first legendaries in my last ranked match. Ragna + Tink + Ysera, got wrecked but it was fun trying to survive a few turns. Don't get how a Rank 25 dude has those cards but hey, nice to meet you.

bjaelke

Saw my first legendaries in my last ranked match. Ragna + Tink + Ysera, got wrecked but it was fun trying to survive a few turns. Don't get how a Rank 25 dude has those cards but hey, nice to meet you.
(Region swapping +) Buy a lot of packs and join rank.

or

Play first ranked game since ladder reset.

ShinNL

What's the purpose of Lightwarden in this deck? I like playing Shaman so I'll give this a shot
80% of the time, it serves the same purpose as Argent Squire would have in your opening hand. But Argent Squire quickly becomes an unwanted topdeck draw, while Lightwarden still has good value. The reason for this is because of the Healing Totem. I've had people Fireball my Lightwarden even though I had 4 threats, just because it went to 7/2. You can also consider this a different version of the Argent Squire + Bloodknight combo. But instead of a 1/1 and 6/6, you combo it with Darkscale Healer for a 3/2 + 4/5.

I've wrote out the purpose of every card in this deck here if you're interested:
http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/37495-meta-destroyer

It's really fun to play. Like every deck sometimes you just draw like crap, but most of the time you'll find yourself countering soooo hard with Bloodknights, Mind Control Tech and Acidic Swamp Ooze. And for such an aggressive deck, Hex and Lightning Storm almost make it seem unfair because the classes it's designed to counter don't have equivalents running in their decks.

So here is something that is a problem for me.

Now that Hearthstone has region swapping it has the following message:

Global Play Limitations & Restrictions

In-game property such as heroes, items, cards, and custom decks are not available across regions and cannot be moved from one region to another.

Game progress, including ladder rankings, does not transfer across regions. Each region has its own independent ladder.

Friend lists (including RealID) are not available across regions. You must add friends to each region’s friend list when you log in for the first time.

Im Dutch, living in South Africa, going for a Msc in September in USA and after that going to Shanghai. What should I do about this? It seems that putting effort (and maybe money) is useless if I am going to have to play on three seperate servers, losing my progress every time.

ShinNL

So here is something that is a problem for me.

Now that Hearthstone has region swapping it has the following message:

Global Play Limitations & Restrictions

In-game property such as heroes, items, cards, and custom decks are not available across regions and cannot be moved from one region to another.

Game progress, including ladder rankings, does not transfer across regions. Each region has its own independent ladder.

Friend lists (including RealID) are not available across regions. You must add friends to each region’s friend list when you log in for the first time.

Im Dutch, living in South Africa, going for a Msc in September in USA and after that going to Shanghai. What should I do about this? It seems that putting effort (and maybe money) is useless if I am going to have to play on three seperate servers, losing my progress every time.
Just pick a region and stick to it. No matter where you are you can select a region now. It's only a problem if you have friends from every region that you want to play against, but if you mostly play alone and occasionally with friends, then just selecting 1 region is perfectly fine. You don't actually lose your progress, you just have kind of like a new account for each one if you decide that you want an account on each region.

Just pick a region and stick to it. No matter where you are you can select a region now. It's only a problem if you have friends from every region that you want to play against, but if you mostly play alone and occasionally with friends, then just selecting 1 region is perfectly fine. You don't actually lose your progress, you just have kind of like a new account for each one if you decide that you want an account on each region.

I guess picking Europe would be the best choice for me. Should I be wary of latency issues? I do expect to play this game the most in the US

Brakara

I guess picking Europe would be the best choice for me. Should I be wary of latency issues? I do expect to play this game the most in the US

No, not as long as your Internet connection is good.

Edit: note that European server maintenance times may be inconvenient for you if you mostly play from the US though. Another advantage of using a US server is that you'll be able to participate in GAF tournaments. But mostly you should use a server where your friends are.

No, not as long as your Internet connection is good.

Edit: note that European server maintenance times may be inconvenient for you if you mostly play from the US though. Another advantage of using a US server is that you'll be able to participate in GAF tournaments. But mostly you should use a server where your friends are.

Ok then, Europe it is :)

Thanks for the help

bjaelke

We could always do a tournament on the EU server if people are up for it.

---

1JME8RQ.png

Anyone else getting this error? The tabs are supposed to say "Promo set, Reward set" etc. but only the t appears unless I click on them.

Corum

We could always do a tournament on the EU server if people are up for it.

---

1JME8RQ.png

Anyone else getting this error? The tabs are supposed to say "Promo set, Reward set" etc. but only the t appears unless I click on them.

I've got the same issue.

Minsc

Gold Member
The good thing is those tabs are mostly useless anyway. I noticed it right away with the patch, but I've never used them for anything.

Tried playing a few games of Druid in casual mode tonight. In almost all of them, the opponent conceded within 1-3 turns. Cant work out what is going on?

KeRaSh

So, a funny thing just happened.
Paladin plays Worgen Infiltrator.
I play Crazed Alchemist.
He Coins out Blessing of Kings... On my Alchemist...
"That was a mistake" emote follows and he concedes...

Tarazet

> Opponent plays Onyxia into empty board
> Have Flamestrike and Blizzard in hand and 9 mana
> Decide to play Mind Control Tech first, on a whim
> Take control of Onyxia at random, then cast Blizzard

Poor guy. lol.

I like rolling the dice sometimes.

Turn 1: Leper Gnome. Opponent passes
Turn 2: Attack with Leper Gnome, then Mad Bomber. Result: 3 to the opponent's face.

Gamble that won me the game.

Minsc

Gold Member
Goodbye Nat Pagle, you officially suck vs your value of 1600 dust. Dusted him!

Last three games he didn't even last on the board long enough to even trigger his ability a single time (he didn't even get a chance to fish and miss)... near-worthless now I say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom