• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heavenly Sword cameo in the latest Heroes episode (UPDATE: new footage, post #754)

Pusha

Banned
Chris Michael said:
I guess it looks better in motion. It looks good, but it's really nothing IMO to go so GAGA over like the replies in the thread. It looks like... er, well, a 360 game. Games like LittleBigPlanet and Crysis look fields better than this.

Looks much better than a 360 game. Look at the lighting and textures, not to mention the draw distance.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Chris Michael said:
I guess it looks better in motion.
It's a game with quite possibly the best gameplay animation made so far, with only real competition coming from Assassins Creed, so yes it's safe to say it looks better in motion :p

Also, if they really pull off her look to be like that wallpaper in the final game... yeah.

Aisenherz

Banned
Chris Michael said:
I guess it looks better in motion. It looks good, but it's really nothing IMO to go so GAGA over like the replies in the thread. It looks like... er, well, a 360 game. Games like LittleBigPlanet and Crysis look fields better than this.
:lol :lol

Marconelly said:
It's a game with quite possibly the best gameplay animation made so far, with only real competition coming from Assassins Creed, so yes it's safe to say it looks better in motion :p

Also, if they really pull off her look to be like that wallpaper in the final game... yeah.

hmm animation in LBP looks excellent as well

peace

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
nelsonroyale said:
hmm animation in LBP looks excellent as well

peace
LBP is one of, if not the most advanced looking game in terms of lighting and shaders (I can't at least think of any other game that uses global illumination in realtime), but I'm wary of comparing it's animation with 'real' 3D games. It's true though, LBP makes an impressive blend of physics based and keyframed animation, but it's also possible that it's easier to do that in 2D plane.

Regardless of that, it's very impressive I agree, the possibilities with animation in LBP seem endless, stuff like being able to just jump and start running on that cog, or interact with anything in just the way you expect you should be able to, make it look really impressive. In that way it looks like a much more advanced version of that one man developed game I wish we would hear more about. The one that was all dark, and had a boy as a main character. I remember thinking how "next gen" that looked despite relatively simplistic visuals.

VNZ

Marconelly said:
I agree with you that I'd love to see a 480p game made for PS3 by the same team, and hell make it 30FPS like they did with Ico. It didn't hurt that game one bit. I question however how much more can be done even in that resolution or if the stuff like pixel/vertex shaders, where most improvements would have to come from, would not really benefit that much. I still think it would help because I see from various tests that even the most shader heavy applications like 3DMark run significantly better in lower resolutions.
Obviously it's the amount of crunching you have time to do per pixel that increases at a lower res -- there's ~6 times more pixels to render at 1080p compared to 480p, so if you're only looking at the fragment shading you have 6x more time for each pixel at 480p. Also you'd free up a quite significant amount of VRAM for other buffers and textures.

However, I've heard on several occations from PS3 devs that pixel shading isn't the real bottleneck so far... Dunno about that, though. It'd be interesting to hear Nostromo/Nao/Marco's take on this.

Also, I'd be surprised if the PS3 TRC allows rendering at lower than 720p. And anyway, trying to push the envelope graphically while doing it in 480p would be quite contradictory, but I'm sure there's some kicks to be had in it...

PleoMax

Banned
Marconelly said:
LBP is one of, if not the most advanced looking game in terms of lighting and shaders (I can't at least think of any other game that uses global illumination in realtime), but I'm wary of comparing it's animation with 'real' 3D games. It's true though, LBP makes an impressive blend of physics based and keyframed animation, but it's also possible that it's easier to do that in 2D plane.

Regardless of that, it's very impressive I agree, the possibilities with animation in LBP seem endless, stuff like being able to just jump and start running on that cog, or interact with anything in just the way you expect you should be able to, make it look really impressive. In that way it looks like a much more advanced version of that one man developed game I wish we would hear more about. The one that was all dark, and had a boy as a main character. I remember thinking how "next gen" that looked despite relatively simplistic visuals.

I know of two...

Forza 2 and Halo 3. There could be more though...

And - http://xbox360.qj.net/Enlighten-engine-to-light-Xbox-360-s-way/pg/49/aid/84606

So, further U3 games will probably also use it.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Marconelly said:

What game are you talking about?

szaromir

Banned
Marconelly said:
Heart of Darkness?
But it wasn't one-man developed.

PleoMax

Banned
Ynos Yrros said:
They are really using GI? Shouldn't it make game look more realistic?

Well...what the hell do you want me to say? Hehe

Forza 2 looks pretty damm good in motion, Halo3 still hasn't been shown. But GI won't do all the work for you, color pallete and textures are part of the deal. Forza2 lightning is actually pretty damm good (check the GDC video, the images suck i don't know why).

Kleegamefan said:
Blue Dragon also Uses GI, IIRC....

Yeah now i remember Sakagushi talking about it on Blue Dragon.

heh

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
PleoMax said:
I know of two...

Forza 2 and Halo 3. There could be more though...
They could be (just because engine supports it doesn't mean they are), and I didn't see enough of H3 to comment, but I wasn't that impressed with whatever Forza 2 is doing for lighting :\

I think it's very well applied GI combined with all the other shaders and good looking textures and artwork (and physics!) what's giving LBP that realistic look.

szaromir said:
Heart of Darkness?
But it wasn't one-man developed.
No, no... it was something we've only seen recently in video form, and the video was completely B&W. Damn, I wish I could find that website/video now! That was such a cool looking little concept.

When people are referring to Global Illumination I assume they're referring to various "pre-baked" techniques? I seriously doubt we'll be seeing anything close to the GI they use in CG at runtime this generation, even on a relatively smaller scale like LBP.

Durante

hukasmokincaterpillar said:
When people are referring to Global Illumination I assume they're referring to various "pre-baked" techniques? I seriously doubt we'll be seeing anything close to the GI they use in CG at runtime this generation, even on a relatively smaller scale like LBP.
I was just about to say that. I don't believe for a moment that any game does realtime GI at this point.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
hukasmokincaterpillar said:
I'm referring to realtime GI with dynamic light sources, and yes from what I can see, I'm pretty sure LBP is doing it. I'm not the only one who's said that btw, I've heard some devs saying the same thing. Realtime GI has been possible for some time now, but has mostly been relegated to tech demos and various proofs of concept so far. Keep in mind, realtime GI, even though has simillar result visually as the one used in offline rendering, is not as precise and robust.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
When people are referring to Global Illumination I assume they're referring to various "pre-baked" techniques?
Fast approximations, usable to different extents, exist.
So to answer your second question - that means "something close to GI" can definately be used in runtime.
Most methods rely on precomputed information to varying degrees - but that's kinda besides the point, vast majority of nexgen games still relies on completely static precomputed solutions for some things (including the likes of GearsOfWar, or Resistance), so if some future techniques are half dynamic, you're only trading up, not down.

At any rate bandying about pretty sounding terms doesn't exactly change facts - LBP looks like stop animation movie, while other stuff looks like, well, videogames :p

Did you guys know that Ninja Theory is the team that made Kung Fu Chaos?

200px-Kung_Fu_Chaos_Image.jpg

Sorry if anyone already brought it up. I just heard it in 1up's interview with shane kim.

Chrono

Banned
So when is this game getting a release date? I'm tired of waiting. :mad:

Is there a Sony event coming up where they could announce some news?

Pimpwerx

bouc_emissaire said:
http://generationdreamteam.free.fr/afrika/heavenlysword/hscompa4.jpg
I approve of this. BTW, the first two shots from 2005 are rendered in Maya. :D That's why I said they finally topped everything from the 2005 trailer. Phenomenal. PEACE.

Kittonwy

Banned
Pimpwerx said:
I approve of this. BTW, the first two shots from 2005 are rendered in Maya. :D That's why I said they finally topped everything from the 2005 trailer. Phenomenal. PEACE.

Now if they can only show some gameplay (with someone actually playing the game) so we can get some hands-on impressions.
gladtomeetya.gif

Lagaff

Gub'mint Researcher
Nao it's time for a demo :D
That would be nice
Can we expect something soon can you answer without breaking NDA? :D

Pimpwerx

Deepblue said:
Except of course, the ridiculous enemy detail in the 05 CG.
The enemies looked plenty detailed in the footage from the playable E3 demo from 2006. I believe the stage boss saw a noticeable increase in detail for that demo. Or are you talking about something else?

Ceb

Deepblue said:
Except of course, the ridiculous enemy detail in the 05 CG.

Hey, it's the guy freaking out over the Mass Effect pics. Where's this "ridiculous enemy detail" you speak of?

Deepblue

Banned
Ceb said:
Hey, it's the guy freaking out over the Mass Effect pics. Where's this "ridiculous enemy detail" you speak of?

Pics 4 & 9 in the 05 column. The CG target renders with massive fields of ultra detailed enemies.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
karasu said:
Yeah. He has the amazing ability to make facial expressions.

Imagine the places I could have gone were my face not fixed into this hideous, expressionless mask!

Top Bottom