• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heavily criticized games that you really enjoy

PerfectConsumer

Neo Member
I love stealth games, and Tenchu Z on the 360 was one of my favorite games last generation. The toe-to-toe fighting is kind of broken, but I am the sort of guy that restarts the level if I'm spotted anyway, so it was a non-issue. Man, those sublime stealth kills never got old.

PooBone

GAF, do you have any favorite games that you hear a lot of negativity about? I'm talking about stuff that people frequently describe as the worst games they've ever experienced, an affront to the medium, absolutely terrible, etc., that you have an affinity for.

I'm not asking this so we can thumb our noses at the haters or feel victimized for liking controversial titles, but to celebrate irrational preference and muse at how a game can "click" with one person on a profound level while being disgustingly bad to someone else.

For me, it's the Borderlands series. The criticism started slowly, but since 2009 people have built up a pretty strong consensus that they feel floaty, have terrible writing, simplistic AI, poorly balanced difficulty, monotonous battles, unsatisfying/uninteresting loot, and generally try too hard to be funny and edgy. Honestly, I agree with all of that. They're not winning any awards for white-knuckle gunplay, 99% of the items you loot are absolute crap, and the writing can be extremely cringeworthy. In spite of all that, there's something about the setting, art style, co-op experience, and the (very rare) thrill of finding a cool new gun that gives the series a special place in my heart.

A lot of people groaned when The Pre-Sequel was announced. I groaned along with them while silently acknowledging that I would buy it and play through the whole thing with my co-op buddies, just like I had for the previous two games and most of their DLC.

So yeah, another Orayn thread with a fairly simple premise. Share your controversial favorites! They don't need to have certain metacritic score, high or low, just a distinct and noticeable voice of dislike directed at them.

I agree with all the complaints you listed about Borderlands.

I enjoyed the last few console Silent Hill games even though they were universally panned.

Dezzy

I really loved Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny on PS3.

I liked Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory quite a bit too.

Oh, and Tales of Graces F is my favorite Tales game.

Coxy

Armored Core 5

Sure its hard as fuck and complicated as hell but man is it rewarding. These's content in that game that probably less than 200 people have ever seen. I love the challenge, I love having to completely design a new machine to complete a mission in a certain way. I had so much fun plotting and scheming with my team mate. Not many games will ever do that for me again

LTWood12

I can agree with a lot of the games mentioned. Here's a few more:

Castlevania_Lords_of_Shadow_2_boxart.jpg

Ninja_Gaiden_3_RE_box_artwork.jpg

250px-Dead_Space_3_PC_game_cover.jpg

Meneses

I have played many hours of Devil May Cry 2 (less than one other person for sure) and I consider it a great game. It is one of the most fun and memorable games I've ever played. Every time I see a helicopter, I think to myself "its infested".

Came here to say this.

Had a lot of fun with it, I just wanted to run on walls and shoot behind the back all day.

DJ_Lae

I really like the two Test Drive Unlimited games, even 2. They're just relaxing games to cruise around in fancy cars, even if the second game has its issues (and I suppose there a lot of them).

I still can't believe the actual open world and multiplayer concept hasn't been borrowed by more games. Even Forza Horizon, probably the closest to it, is nowhere near as ambitious as TDU.

Sonic Adventure from 1999. It's got lots of little flaws I won't deny, but the game's my comfort food, and it has such a great aesthetic to this day. SA2 goes overboard in just about every way, whereas the original is perfectly fine having a cheesy legendary-monster story with lots of set-pieces and occasional challenge atop.

Bioshock Infinite and Metal Gear Solid 4. I like Kojima's craziness and I liked the plot in Infinite.

I really like the two Test Drive Unlimited games, even 2. They're just relaxing games to cruise around in fancy cars, even if the second game has its issues (and I suppose there a lot of them).

I still can't believe the actual open world and multiplayer concept hasn't been borrowed by more games. Even Forza Horizon, probably the closest to it, is nowhere near as ambitious as TDU.

This too, I loved TDU. Too bad The Crew will be always online.

EDIT: Another one - Alpha Protocol. Played through many times.

Doomguy84

Oh boy where to start. I'm a huge Silent Hill and RE fan...and I liked Homecoming. In fact I would go as far as saying its the true Resident Evil 5....or 4.5 if u will. Thats probably why silent hill fans hate it...Its too much like RE. At least I think so. Another series I love is Castlevania and I loved Lords of Shadow. I thought it was a beautiful looking game and had solid and fun gameplay. Although the first 3 chapters were sorta plain, once u got to the first castle I felt it was brilliant all the way to the end.

Sayers

Dragon Age 2 is not the war crime people like to make it out to be. I thoroughly enjoyed it even though it is not as good as Origins.

mp1990

Banned
I really like ME3,for me the ending don't interfere so much the experience that makes the game bad.And i liked Dragon Age 2 when i played,but when i played i didn't have a fuck and skipped all cutscenes/dialogs,just playing for the combat.

Fjordson

L.A. Noire.

Had some issues to be sure, but I really enjoyed the setting and solving the various cases was pretty satisfying. And that facial animation was really neat. Made for some amazing performances, not just with the voice acting but with the actual acting. Gotta love all the Mad Men cast members in there.

Xenon

Too Human - Best loot game of the past gen.(I never played Diablo 3)

Fatal Inertia - I actually like the fact that it was so different from Wipeout and the graphics didn't bother me.

Knack - Classic gaming for next gen, done right.

Enchanted Arms - Loved the chessboard battle system.

LBP PSP(most played of the series) - Everyone who wants better controls in LBP needs to play this, if they think they could get past the poor graphics.

Ryse - Simple yet satisfying on higher difficulties.

DJ_Lae

Dragon Age 2 is not the war crime people like to make it out to be. I thoroughly enjoyed it even though it is not as good as Origins.

I enjoyed the hell out of it too in spite of the reused assets.

Enough to platinum it, even.

Begaria

Whenever a Tales discussion happens, inevitably people will start crapping over Tales of Legendia. It's generally looked down upon, and I'm assuming it's because a lot of people started the series with Tales of Symphonia and jumped right to Tales of Legendia which likely gave this perceived lack of downgrade between the two without realizing it's by different teams with different goals in mind.

Tales of Legendia is not a bad game nor even close to being the worse Tales game (that dishonor goes to Tales of Innocence). It has a good combat system, fucking awesome music, and a good cast of characters, the Fast Travel system makes going back through areas painless, and the Character Quests can be quite touching. It's a shame that the English voice acting wasn't carried completely through the second half of the game and this whole "Main Game"/"Character Quests" split can be quite divisive. The re-use of dungeons in the second half of the game can get quite egregious, but Holy Bottles help with that. While a good amount of what happens in the overarching plot is fairly cliche, at least the character's themselves are interesting with good pay offs in each of their character quests.

Also, the Oresoren are badasses. Ors ors!

BigDug13

Borderlands 2 (and 1). BL2 sold 10 million copies and sits at 89 metacritic and I feel like 90% of GAF thinks it's one of the worst series of last gen.

mp1990

Banned
The Saboteur

Amazing game though critically not very well received whatsoever. I consider it a cult classic though.

What ? People didn't liked this game ? I just loved it,it's one of my fav game from last gen.It's a shame i lost my copy before completing it.

I love stealth games, and Tenchu Z on the 360 was one of my favorite games last generation. The toe-to-toe fighting is kind of broken, but I am the sort of guy that restarts the level if I'm spotted anyway, so it was a non-issue. Man, those sublime stealth kills never got old.

Good man! I came in here to say the exact same thing. It's one of, if not the only reasons I keep my Xbox 360 within reach. Despite its flaws, it's probably one of my favorite games of all time.

Final Fantasy XIII was one of my favorite games from last gen. I was rather unimpressed after playing through the import, but the game really grew on me. One reason has to do with the fast paced combat system that kept me thrilled through around seven replays. The visuals and music are also top notch. And while I didn't like how some of the story panned out presentation-wise I found the world setting and lore to be one of my favorites in the genre.

XIII-2 and LR should never have been made. Although I had some fun with them, I don't think they had the quality that the original XIII did. For me the XIII story ends with XIII and everything after is fanfiction crap.

Spider-Man games

I played The Amazing Spider-Man 2 on my PS4 for almost 80 hours. 100% the game, Platinum'd it and I web swing around the city on a daily basis.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Assassin%27s_Creed_III_Game_Cover.jpg

Don't care what people say, this is probably one of my favourite games last gen and the best Assassin Creed game they have made since 2.
Also Resident Evil 5-6, I see no difference with 4
All of them aren't as good as classic RE.

Top Bottom