• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice |OT| The Mid-Tier, in Limbo

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I have to say
getting through the dark area while hear sound of creatures around you
was so god damn intense!!!

Started this last night at 11pm and didn't stop playing till 4 am. I can't remember the last time I did that with the game. I love it. The atmosphere. The combat. The protagonist. The way it is handling her traumatic psychosis I just really really love it.

Please tell me this sold well.

Also holy hell it is gorgeous. It might be one of the best looking games out right now.

Started this last night at 11pm and didn't stop playing till 4 am. I can't remember the last time I did that with the game. I love it. The atmosphere. The combat. The protagonist. The way it is handling her traumatic psychosis I just really really love it.

Also holy hell it is gorgeous. It might be one of the best looking games out right now.

I suppose it did:

@NinjaTheory 8 sept.

We're incredibly proud that #Hellblade was the best-selling game on the #PlayStation Store in August! Thanks to all our fans and supporters!

Also, they're hiring. :)

It hit top ten on PSN and Steam. I don't think there is a final tally, but i know it did over 100k on steam

Awesome news.
Game is fantastic.

The absolute best part of this whole experience has been Ninja Theory having the balls to do no HUD or tutorials (I mean really). It just make's everything you figure out so satisfying.

I just hit a game-breaking bug. I'm so sad :(

In
Helheim when you light the torches and then its supposed to trigger a fight sequence which removes the gate giving you a vantage point to get the last rune I lit all the torches and no enemies spawned no nothing.
Restarted so many times. Looks like no one has a fix for it either.

Wish I had realized this had Ansel support before I got 8/10ths through the game. I took a few pretty amazing 3D 360 photos towards the end but thinking back there were a bunch of spots I would have loved to capture. They look pretty amazing in VR.

Melchiah

Just started the game last night, and I'm enjoying it so far. The visuals and atmosphere are amazing, and the audio is great when playing with surround headphones on. I'm not that fond of the combat so far, particularly when you can't try the moves outside of combat, and the game doesn't really explain much of the mechanics to you. Even when compared to something like Bloodborne. I beat V
alravn
and all the enemies before it without blocking at all, and using focus only in the boss fight. I also got stuck in the first S
urt
gate, until I figured out you had to push X farther away from it.

I glanced at the trophies, and it seems like an easy platinum. Are any of the trophies missable?

Alastor3

That would be amazing man thank you

Here is a EU save file but it's a completed game, im still waiting for my friend's response.
https://www.thetechgame.com/Downloads/id=37108/hellblade-senuas-sacrifice-platin-save-cusa07527-eu.html

Im no where near helheim tho so that might take a few hours/days to give you a save from mine :/

edit: Hah! I saw your post on reddit, sad that no one responded :(

edit2: have you tried with a save file from the pc version to the ps4? I wonder if that would work...

Here is a EU save file but it's a completed game, im still waiting for my friend's response.
https://www.thetechgame.com/Downloads/id=37108/hellblade-senuas-sacrifice-platin-save-cusa07527-eu.html

Im no where near helheim tho so that might take a few hours/days to give you a save from mine :/

edit: Hah! I saw your post on reddit, sad that no one responded :(

edit2: have you tried with a save file from the pc version to the ps4? I wonder if that would work...

Ha yeah it doesn't work thanks so much for trying bro. I can wait till you get to Hellheim :)

ArjanN

Just started the game last night, and I'm enjoying it so far. The visuals and atmosphere are amazing, and the audio is great when playing with surround headphones on. I'm not that fond of the combat so far, particularly when you can't try the moves outside of combat, and the game doesn't really explain much of the mechanics to you. Even when compared to something like Bloodborne. I beat V
alravn
and all the enemies before it without blocking at all, and using focus only in the boss fight. I also got stuck in the first S
urt
gate, until I figured out you had to push X farther away from it.

I glanced at the trophies, and it seems like an easy platinum. Are any of the trophies missable?

Block at the right time and you get a counter. More fun that way.

The one missable trophy is for getting all those lore runes, on a new game it does remember which ones you'vealready gotten but there's no chapter select, so if you missed some you have to play a new game up to the last one you missed at least.

Melchiah

Block at the right time and you get a counter. More fun that way.

The one missable trophy is for getting all those lore runes, on a new game it does remember which ones you'vealready gotten but there's no chapter select, so if you missed some you have to play a new game up to the last one you missed at least.

I just platinumed it yesterday. =) While I greatly enjoyed the atmosphere, visuals, and the portrayal of mental illness, I really didn't like the constant mob fights in closed spaces. I've hated them since the PS1/2 days, and at least you could avoid them in something like Souls games. I also found the view-based lock-on system working against me, resulting with missed attacks or being hitted at times. And I did use blocking to my advantage eventually.

The last boss fight was the icing on the cake...
constant mob waves that are supposed to beat you. I actually googled the solution because it just didn't end. It reminded me of the beating of Zeus in GOW3, and the infamous thread about it.=D
...I can't say I liked the conclusion to the story either.

I still remember how I hated the combat in Heavenly Sword, and it seems to me that things haven't really improved in that regard. It's unfortunate, as it drags down an otherwise great game.

I also have to voice my grievances with the saving system. Since I read that you could get stuck due to a bug, or a trophy wouldn't pop, I made backup saves to USB-stick after each chapter. When I returned to the game, it always threw me further back from where I was. For example...
I quitted and copied the save file after the cutscene that precedes the trials, but when I returned it threw me back to the first tree cutscene.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, that it took me 2 days and 2 hours to platinum the game, which is just an hour more than it was with The Order: 1886.

Speely

Banned
Started playing through this again a bit even though my backlog is huge.

Yep, still in my top 4 of 2017. I am also in the minority of both fans and those critical of the game because I like the combat. I can understand why others don't like it, but I will speak here a bit about why I do.

One of the main elements of the game is that Senua is always at the whim of her psychosis. Her perception is unnerving and unsteady. Her very reality is ever-shifting.

In combat, I feel like this theme is carried over quite well. Enemies appear behind you. You can get swarmed unfairly. You are not free, as a player, to completely override Senua's illness ever.

Even the camera adds to this sense of disproportionate and skewed reality in combat. The offset, low camera combined with enemies who are ALL tall as fuck (comparitively,) dressed creepily, and who advance in quite menacing, stalk-ey fashions adds to the claustrophobic and uncomfortable combat dynamic that the small "arenas" establish.

I fucking love it. It's very Senua imo. Combat in this game should not be a mobile, freeform endeavor in stark contrast to the rest of the game. It should be just as compromised by Senua's sense of reality as everything else.

When I view it in that sense, I get why it is like it is. And it also makes it more engaging for me. I am not great at action games, but I enjoy the pressure and the lack of freedom in this combat system. Compensating for the close, swarmimg nature of it by setting up well-faced parries/ripostes that can buy some time is cool in such a small theatre of battle, and it feels right within the context of the story itself.

Again, I understand why many feel like the combat is the low point of an otherwise good game. Maybe I just view the combat as another element of Senua's experience that should be governed by the same jagged edge by which the rest of the game is governed, rather than being a robust, clean action game combat system that exists aside from the main narrative.

Melchiah

Regarding the above post, they could have made the combat more interesting and varied while keeping the idea intact, instead of lazily putting the same mobs against the player over and over again. I enjoyed it every time they introduced a new enemy variant, but there weren't that many of them. Most of the mob fights included the enemies that were introduced in the very beginning of the game.

The boss fights weren't that interesting either. Take F
enrir
for example. It was just
evade, evade, evade, focus, attack, rinse and repeat.
The preceding parts with exploring and puzzles, and the horror elements, were the highlights and the saving grace of the game.

Just finished this... Didn't expect it to be so short... 5 hours at best, and I'm pretty slow at games. That ending sequence reminded me of God of War 3-
I fought wave after wave of enemies before finally listening to the voices and giving in
. It was definitely an interesting game, hopefully one they can expand upon with a sequel and make something great.

Speely

Banned
Regarding the above post, they could have made the combat more interesting and varied while keeping the idea intact, instead of lazily putting the same mobs against the player over and over again. I enjoyed it every time they introduced a new enemy variant, but there weren't that many of them. Most of the mob fights included the enemies that were introduced in the very beginning of the game.

The boss fights weren't that interesting either. Take F
enrir
for example. It was just
evade, evade, evade, focus, attack, rinse and repeat.
The preceding parts with exploring and puzzles, and the horror elements, were the highlights and the saving grace of the game.

I will agree with this on paper. The game would have been more interesting as an action game had there been more varied enemy types and more dynamics needed to overcome them.

That said, this very much seems to me like a concession that the developer made because they were basically pioneering the "indie AAA" thing.

Sepultura

Pricing error? Its $10.49 on Steam right now.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/414340/

hellsgs89.jpg

hollerphonix

Neo Member
wondering if that price is kinda posted early as it'd coincide with the charity thing tomorrow and maybe they're throwing it on sale to boost attention to it in that way also...

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
latest patch on PS4 Pro locks framerate to 30 fps! so good now. Still have that 60fps mode if you prefer that.

Hot damn ! Came into this topic just to ask if the last Patch does this.

Thanks for the confirmation.

I need to replay this to get the one last achievement for the Platinum. This is a great incentive to replay in HQ mode on the Pro.

Filben

Just finished it and I can say that no other game, up to this point, managed to devours me – getting me so immersed – like Hellblade did. Usually I'm well aware of my surroundings although I focus heavily on films and video games (for instance I can't stand talking or people standing up while watching a movie together, I'm a bit of a hardliner in that regard). And this game just pulled me even more deeper that I mentally switched off everything else. The sound design and visual presentation is outstanding.

I'm always a fan of non-linear storytelling and Hellblade totally nailed it. Its presentation is intriguing, captivating and keep you interested in what actually happened and how everything will turns out.

As for the gameplay I was kind of surprised of what they came up with besides the (expected) 'shallowness':
the level where's nothing but darkness and you have to find your way out without fighting, or running from spotlight to spotlight, not getting devoured by darkness.
. Cynically spoken, you could call it 'walking simulator', but as for myself I was so immersed in the world and Senua's reality that I didn't mind.

I also enjoyed the combat, although it lacks complexity and deep mechanics. So what was to like about it? Its responsiveness made it a blast to play. It was quick, brutal, intense and it just worked without any clumsiness. In that regard it was sort of 'flawless', straight on point.

Visual clues were used in a clever way and weren't spelled out boldly for you. Even in one situation where acting under pressure and time limit was required I managed to find all the necessary clues without a compass needle or HUD markers pointing out where to go – and voices telling you to "give up" or to "focus". It fits the theme of the game and it is an enjoyable change in a video game.

It has become definitely one of my favorite games by now.

Speely

Banned
Just finished it and I can say that no other game, up to this point, managed to devours me – getting me so immersed – like Hellblade did. Usually I'm well aware of my surroundings although I focus heavily on films and video games (for instance I can't stand talking or people standing up while watching a movie together, I'm a bit of a hardliner in that regard). And this game just pulled me even more deeper that I mentally switched off everything else. The sound design and visual presentation is outstanding.

I'm always a fan of non-linear storytelling and Hellblade totally nailed it. Its presentation is intriguing, captivating and keep you interested in what actually happened and how everything will turns out.

As for the gameplay I was kind of surprised of what they came up with besides the (expected) 'shallowness':
the level where's nothing but darkness and you have to find your way out without fighting, or running from spotlight to spotlight, not getting devoured by darkness.
. Cynically spoken, you could call it 'walking simulator', but as for myself I was so immersed in the world and Senua's reality that I didn't mind.

I also enjoyed the combat, although it lacks complexity and deep mechanics. So what was to like about it? Its responsiveness made it a blast to play. It was quick, brutal, intense and it just worked without any clumsiness. In that regard it was sort of 'flawless', straight on point.

Visual clues were used in a clever way and weren't spelled out boldly for you. Even in one situation where acting under pressure and time limit was required I managed to find all the necessary clues without a compass needle or HUD markers pointing out where to go – and voices telling you to "give up" or to "focus". It fits the theme of the game and it is an enjoyable change in a video game.

It has become definitely one of my favorite games by now.

I 100% agree with everything in your post. It has become one of my favorite games of all time.

Will probably vote for it as my #1 in the GotY thread, despite how stacked this year is. It was that powerful for me.

Raven117

After the accolades trailer, I purchased this last week and beat it in about 4 sittings.

Holy Smokes, this game is a must play if you even have the slightest inclination to view games as art or an interest in psychosis.

I actually really liked the combat. While some of those mobs at the end were a bit much for the way the combat was designed, overall loved it.

The music, the sound, the shifting realities, writing, the acting, the atmosphere...I mean...damn...its really an incredible experience. Anyone miss on the above and this game would have fallen flat...instead, they come together to create an exceedingly unique experience.

Its heavy...Very heavy....If you aren't in the mood for it, then it may not work for you, but if just give in to what its trying to do, you are in for a wild ride.

Love it....Simply Love it.

Szadek

Finished the game yesterday.
While the presentaion and storytelling was amazing, the gameplay wasn't nearly at the same level.
Someting I didn't know before playing is that it's, at least in part, a puzzle game, but, again, not a very good one.
I wouldn't call the gameplay bad, but certainly far away from great.

In any case, the game has very clear vision that the entire game is build around.
The cinematography, the sound design, storytelling and gameplay are about getting the player to understand Senua and her suffering (at least a little bit).
That doesn't always translate to good gameplay, which fine up to a point, but if it gets too furstrating, it can break immersion, which is obviously the last thing you want to do.
There are a few gameplay flaws that can't be explained away easily, such as low enemie variety or the relative slow moment speed give how much you have to run around in this game.

When I try to compare the Hellblade, the first games that come to mind are Silent Hill 2 and Spec Ops: The Line, since they are character studies.
So the game is in good company.
These games also benefit from the fact that the frustrations gameplay are quickly forgotten, while the important story beats stick.
As a result many players will thing about this game more highly as time gones on.
That's why I still consider this game a must-play despite it's weaknesses.

Finally, I want to say that I hate the term "Indie AAA".
As a AAA game, this game would never existed in it's current from or close to it, because it's taking way too many risks.
I don't even want to know what it would look like if they focused tested the shit out of it... if they geenlit it at all, which is highly unlikely.

JP

I just picked this up from the sale on PlayStation 4.

Can I ask when settings people are using on the PS4 Pro? I know there was a DF video, which I've watched, but the game has been updated since then so I'm just wondering what people who have played it feel about setting is the best one.

Top Bottom