• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldivers 2 Announced - Coming in 2023 | PlayStation Showcase

Draugoth

Gold Member

Arrowhead officially announced a sequel to its 2015 top-down shooter Helldivers, and it's coming to PS5 and PC later this year.

Little else was revealed about Helldivers 2, including a release date beyond 2023. It also debuted a brief trailer, which showed off the original's popular four-player co-op. The trailer went with a third-person experience, as opposed to the top-down view of the original.

Helldivers took place in what's called "Super Earth," and the player acts as a citizen that joins a commando team tasked with fighting aliens in various biomes. It immediately drew comparisons to Starship Troopers, the 1959 novel of the same name and 1997 Paul Verhoeven film adaptation, even opening with something of an homage to the latter with a propaganda video.

Fw60KpkagAEOS_1
Fw60Pq-agAMwV92

Fw60emjagAIhmW5
Fw60eCHagAQ5svg

Last edited:

Sethbacca

I didn't play the first one, but now I kinda want to. I fucking love Starship Troopers and this fits that vibe to a T.

Mossybrew

Yeah, I'm down for this. The first was OK but I much prefer the third person presentation they've moved to. Looks like it might scratch that EDF itch.

I'm ok with the camera change, the problem with the first game was that while fun, on higher tier difficulties it just resulted in trying to stay together in mechs while bombing everything off screen. The shared coop camera also limited a lot of gameplay fun. Still hoping the cyborgs will be in it and the High Tech Alien Race.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I had loads of fun with the original on PC, playing with randos and my best friends. Now we all have PS5's, can't wait. I hope it's even half as good as the original.

Willing to give it a chance but I am not enthused by the new perspective. The production looks good, but it’s just more generic and as people have pointed out this probably means no couch co-op. That’s what the game is to me, a fucking fire couch co-op game. I hope they at least keep the button code system, that gave the game personality. I hope this is awesome 🙏

Dibbs

Looks more like Starship Troopers than Starship Troopers Extermination. I'm in.

Last edited:
Enjoyed the original on Vita, PS4 & PC, but never really expected a sequel. The shift in perspective is fine so long as they bring the same energy

JCK75

I'm really kind of surprised that there isn't a lawsuit from the makers of starship troopers over how much this completely copies everything about it

I'm really kind of surprised that there isn't a lawsuit from the makers of starship troopers over how much this completely copies everything about it
Why? The Starship Troopers most people cite is nothing like the original to begin with so I doubt Heinlein's estate gives a shit.

supernova8

Banned
I guess I'm one of the only people who is irritated that they changed it from a top down (not sure what it's called, Diablo camera angle?) title into a...

THIRD PERSON SHOOTER

team america vomit GIF

As if Sony first party needs any more fucking third person run and shoot/slash games!!!

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I prefer the first from isometric view.

This just looks like a generic TPS now. I wish them luck.

Last edited:
Top Bottom