• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldivers 2 shows us that "chasing trends" works...

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
There's roughly 4 genres that make waves in the multiplayer space nowadays...

1. Team based sports games.
2. Battle Royale/Extraction
3. Survival
4. Co-OP

Helldivers 2 blew up because it wasn't a fighter, it wasn't an arena shooter, it wasn't an RTS.

PlayStation identified a trendy genre, supported a studio that made games in that genre and...voila, it worked! Their "big gamble" paid off handsomely. What are the odds?

May this be a lesson to those who say publishers shouldn't "chase trends". No, they actually should.

671af244-89b3-4b77-ab9c-8c5a80fd857f_text.gif

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
And that all goes out the window once you realize this game had been in development for 8 years.

The studio did a game they wanted to make and it just happened to align with Sony's timetable for GAAS. It also turned out that it's a very fun game.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The game still has to be fun and engaging. Which is why most fail that chase trends.

You need to get a number of things right in order to launch a successful game. "Fun and engaging" is obviously a requirement but if you're not landing in a genre gamers want to play, you're fighting a difficult uphill battle. Remember everyone raiving about how good Halo Infinites multiplayer was at that launch?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You need to get a number of things right in order to launch a successful game. "Fun and engaging" is obviously a requirement but if you're not landing in a genre gamers want to play, you're fighting a difficult uphill battle. Remember everyone raiving about how good Halo Infinites multiplayer was at that launch?
Clearly fun and engaging is the main driving factor here, since their matchmaking is fubar and was not built with this much fetch in mind. And people still can't get enough and will excuse those hiccups, because, it's a damned fun and engaging gameplay loop.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
And that all goes out the window once you realize this game had been in development for 8 years.

The studio did a game they wanted to make and it just happened to align with Sony's timetable for GAAS. It also turned out that it's a very fun game.

Trends often span longer than 8 years my friend.

It is successful because it is fun to play, not because it chases any trends. And begin with, those games that created the "trends" are also because they are fun to play.

Jeez, why those days people just saw some superficial facts and then make a claim as if they were the causes.

Last edited:

Hibs

That and you can tell the game was made with love. Lots of nice little details in the game that all add to the atmosphere.

3. Survival
4. Co-OP

Helldivers 2 blew up because it wasn't a fighter, it wasn't an arena shooter, it wasn't an RTS.

PlayStation identified a trendy genre, supported a studio that made games on that genre and...voila, it worked! Their "big gamble" paid off handsomely. What are the odds?

May this be a lesson to those who say publishers shouldn't "chase trends". No, they actually should.

Ghost of Tsushima is just an Assassin's Creed game that wasn't half-assed.
Spider-Man is a big budget Arkham game.
Uncharted is Tomb Raider meets Indiana Jones.
The Last of Us is The Walking Dead meets Children of Men meets The Road.

Palworld is just pokemon meets ark

Look at the Horizon game that is just going to be Horizon meets Monster Hunter.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Clearly fun and engaging is the main driving factor here, since their matchmaking is fubar and was not built with this much fetch in mind. And people still can't get enough and will excuse those hiccups, because, it's a damned fun and engaging gameplay loop.

Some trends / genres are more fun + engaging than others.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I think a lot of it has to do with the art style, colour pallette and Starship troopers vibe.

If this game swapped in a modern military setting with AK47s and downtown looking maps, it'd bomb.

Hugare

There's a diference between asking Naughty Dog and other single player focused companies to make a GAAS game vs asking a developer to make a sequel (that improves upon the last game but doesnt reinvent the wheel)

And they had 8 years

Just like Marathon would fit with Bungie and their previous games

Ruining developers that are known for other genres just to follow the GAAS trend is the real crime

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The RTS genre used to be fun and engaging for a lot of people. Then it wilted considerably.
I never played RTS games.

But way back RTS was everywhere, and some games were solid from what I'd read or see my bro playing. Then the genre kind of disappeared aside from Starcraft keeping going. You never hear of RTS ever know. Although MOBA is a different kind of RTS.

But all those 90s and early 2000s strategy RTS games in sci settings or WWII etc.... what happened? You dont even hear about the genre anymore.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
No one said it was "just chasing trends". But chasing the correct trends is clearly a huge help.

When the title literally says "Helldivers 2 shows us that chasing trends works", it's meant to imply that chasing trends is a large part of a game's success. Your entire thesis was build on how Playstation identified a trend, and funded a studio to make a game in that trend, without anything else that goes into making a successful game.

When you also don't mention the many other times that chasing trends didn't actually work, it's hard for anyone to take your point seriously.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
There's a diference between asking Naughty Dog and other single player focused companies to make a GAAS game vs asking a developer to make a sequel (that improves upon the last game but doesnt reinvent the wheel)

And they had 8 years

Just like Marathon would fit with Bungie and their previous games

Ruining developers that are known for other genres just to follow the GAAS trend is the real crime

I think this is a bogus narrative if you simply think about it for a few monents.

Think about a studios composition.

Do animators care if they're working on a SP or a MP game? Of course not. Do texture artists care if they're working on a SP or MP game? Nope. Do sound engineers care? Unlikely. Do UI artists care? Nope.

Most people in a studio can flex between SP and MP with ease.

A studio like Naughty Dog clearly has tons of expertise in the above fields, which means building a multiplayer team within the studio would be very doable. The only people who can't flex would be writers and thosr who work on cutscenes.

Shift those people to the SP projects and hire a few employees who specialize in networking and multiplayer design and you're really not talking about building a whole new animal from the ground up.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
When the title literally says "Helldivers 2 shows us that chasing trends works", it's meant to imply that chasing trends is a large part of a game's success.
Oh it absolutely is.

If production and fit & finish of Helldivers 2 is anything but elite. It's not a AAA studio by a long shot. They're outcompeting many AAA studios right now because they made a game in a genre that speaks to people.

Think grunge music in 1992. There were great metal records being made back then but the grunge genre spoke to more people. Obviously not all grunge records sold well back then either.

StueyDuck

3. Survival
4. Co-OP

PlayStation identified a trendy genre, supported a studio that made games in that genre and...voila, it worked! Their "big gamble" paid off handsomely. What are the odds?

I guess that big 2 In the title is a bit difficult to understand.

It means it's a sequel to a game that already existed

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Jesus christ can't some of you just deal with the reality that some games are just...good games...and fun?

HD is fucking good. That's why everyone is playing.

Imagine being in the war room at a giant publisher and they're talking about what games to make over the next 10 years.

If you blurted out "Let's just make good games everyone", it would be awkward AF. That's not particularly helpful when discussing industry trends.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I guess that big 2 In the title is a bit difficult to understand.

It means it's a sequel to a game that already existed
Trends exist over various lengths of time. The coop genre existed before Left 4 Dead. It wasn't nearly as lucrative or impactful as it is today.

Y'all can picture what a line graph looks like right?

Hugare

I think this is a bogus narrative if you simply think about it for a few monents.

Think about a studios composition.

Do animators care if they're working on a SP or a MP game? Of course not. Do texture artists care if they're working on a SP or MP game? Nope. Do sound engineers care? Unlikely. Do UI artists care? Nope.

Most people in a studio can flex between SP and MP with ease.

A studio like Naughty Dog clearly has tons of expertise in the above fields, which means building a multiplayer team within the studio would be very doable. The only people who can't flex would be writers and thosr who work on cutscenes.

Shift those people to the SP projects and hire a few employees who specialize in networking and multiplayer design and you're really not talking about building a whole new animal from the ground up.
They absolutely care

The animator has the option to animate cutscenes in a narrative driven game or animate weapons on a GAAS shooter. They are not the same.

Ask a ND texture artist if he would rather work on the next TLOU game or some Battle Royale game

Ask the sound engineer if he would rather work on the next Ghost of Tsushima or some looter shooter

You are oblivious. Devs spend huge chunks of their lives on those games. Talented developers choose their projects. That's why its hard to retain talent on your studio after a game is done. You have to keep making interesting projects to retain talent.

You really think that if ND decides to make Crash or Jak games from now on, the same artists would remain there?

You know what it shows me, that EA is so stupid because they’ve got some great Mass Effect multiplayer that is similar to this in several ways, yet they refused to do anything about it.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Oh it absolutely is.

Not when there's so many examples where it fails. Helldivers 2 shows us that chasing trends works. Sometimes. Except when it doesn't.

Think grunge music in 1992. There were great metal records being made back then but the grunge genre spoke to more people. Obviously not all grunge records sold well back then either.

Think chasing trends to make successful video games. There were great games being made but chasing trends spoke to more people. Obviously not all attempts to chase trends sold well either.

If that's the case, then "chasing trends" doesn't actually work. It's something more fundamental to video games and human entertainment than that.

StueyDuck

Trends exist over various lengths of time. The coop genre existed before Left 4 Dead. It wasn't nearly as lucrative or impactful as it is today.

Y'all can picture what a line graph looks like right?
Is it really trend chasing then if you are just going talk about a game that released over 10 years ago

Cary Elwes Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
They absolutely care

The animator has the option to animate cutscenes in a narrative driven game or animate weapons on a GAAS shooter. They are not the same.

Ask a ND texture artist if he would rather work on the next TLOU game or some Battle Royale game

Ask the sound engineer if he would rather work on the next Ghost of Tsushima or some looter shooter

You are oblivious. Devs spend huge chunks of their lives on those games. Talented developers choose their projects. That's why its hard to retain talent on your studio after a game is done. You have to keep making interesting projects to retain talent.

You really think that if ND decides to make Crash or Jak games from now on, the same artists would remain there?

I think those developers really only care about hitting financial incentives. They want steady work that benefits their bank accounts. You don't join a AAA studio if you're driven by making creative choices.

StueyDuck

I disagree with that.
Online diminished co-op, before that it was massive.
Absolutely. The ps360 era was the last huzzah for actual fun co-op.

Sure we get a few great games here n there like wildlands or HD2 but devs absolutely hate co-op these days.

Like basically all games at this point should be co-op barring very few titles.

Any call of duty campaign should be co-op, jedi survivor? How would that game have not been infinitely better with a bud doing dually sabers.

Elden ring seamless co-op mod is the best way to play that game I'm finding out on my 3rd playthrough with mates

StueyDuck

You don't think trends can exist over a 10 year period?
In the video game industry that is barely even 50 years old...

Yes I don't think you can call 10 years a trend.

Basically you may as well say "well see you can move in this game just like that trend Mario started"

I mean HD1 is a thing right? HD2 is an iteration of that base.

for what i have seen I would say that is the opposite, they approached the "chasing trends" in their own way not just copy-paste.q

Top Bottom