• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldivers II broke 250k+ CCU on Steam: first PlayStation PC release to do so

squarealex

And thats what lots of us on GAF have been saying for years. If Sony wants big PC gamer numbers they got to release games on time and dont treat them as second class citizens with a game 3 years later at full price.
Once again this is just for the GAAS games.

Hermen already says GAAS was on day one PS5 / PC and 2 years for Solo games.

Hermen =/= Phil Spencer, stop whinning your PCMR bullshit

So 10 times more than Suicide Squad.

Rocksteady closure will be announced in one month or two maximum

Wouldn't be surprised if Insomniac opens up Insomniac London and hires a lot of these people.

Arkham was the blueprint for Spider-Man. They're obviously doing more and more comic book games, and they have aspirations for online games. This didn't work out, but I think the concept was shaky to begin with.

But you're right, this game likely kills the studio.

Astray

I'm surprised this is going as well as it is tbh.

In the minority here, but I think Payday 3 flopping creates an opening for Fairgames too given how that is a similar sort of heist game.

I think the Sony GAAS push might actually end up doing better than most of us expected, for better or worse.

Once again this is just for the GAAS games.

Hermen already says GAAS was on day one PS5 / PC and 2 years for Solo games.

Hermen =/= Phil Spencer, stop whinning your PCMR bullshit

There's a lot of people who don't understand nuance or context. They just think tick for tack.

I'd say any GaaS, Live Service, F2P type games it makes sense to be on PS5, PC, and Mobile day 1. These games don't really sell systems in the first place. They're successful based on the size of the audience.

I doubt many people bought a PS5 FOR fortnite. Could some kid who owns a PS5 only play fortnite? Sure, but that's probably not why the system was purchased.

I helped get a PS5 for my nephew a couple years ago. All he plays is Rocket League. Literally all he is interested in. Got him Spider-Man 2 for Christmas and he hasn't even played beyond Sandman. He's back to Rocket League. We built a gaming PC for him for Christmas, and now he is playing Rocket League on PC at 120 fps.

The younger generation doesn't care as much about story that you get with a single player AAA game. Maybe as they get a bit older potentially. They just want to play multiplayer games.

The idea that Sony isn't going to tap into that market or that they're going to wall it off for PlayStation, thus killing how many units they can actually even sell on PlayStation because of the lack of size of crossplay audience, makes no sense.

The most interesting thing is that there is no PS4 version of Helldivers 2. That might have been a mistake.

I'm surprised this is going as well as it is tbh.

In the minority here, but I think Payday 3 flopping creates an opening for Fairgames too given how that is a similar sort of heist game.

I think the Sony GAAS push might actually end up doing better than most of us expected, for better or worse.

I've been thinking the exact same. Sony can take its time with its GaaS games and not rush them out if they have faith in them. Other publishers don't have that luxury.

Everyone is asking where Sony's games are and here they are. If Fairgames and Concord are even mildly well received, Sony will already be off to a really strong start.

That's ignoring Gran Turismo 7 and MLB the Show, both of which still need to release on PC.

Zathalus

120k is alright but for a multiplayer GaaS title it's not exactly setting the world on fire. Of course the true metric would be player retention 3/6/12 months down the line.

120k is alright but for a multiplayer GaaS title it's not exactly setting the world on fire. Of course the true metric would be player retention 3/6/12 months down the line.
I feel like it would actually be more if there weren't rampant connection issue, and disconnection problems. It's just so much fun when it actually works and you get a squad of four together.
The biggest issue right now is the above ,plus crossplay not working properly, and PS5 matchmaking has been broken since launch. Although they just sent out a patch.
Game also needs balancing in terms of enemies. I keep landing on "Safe" locations , only for three charges to show up, and the entire team getting blasted to hell. Those enemies should be lowered to around 1-2 from difficulty 5-7 and then 2+ from 8+ difficulties.

I've been thinking the exact same. Sony can take its time with its GaaS games and not rush them out if they have faith in them. Other publishers don't have that luxury.

Everyone is asking where Sony's games are and here they are. If Fairgames and Concord are even mildly well received, Sony will already be off to a really strong start.

That's ignoring Gran Turismo 7 and MLB the Show, both of which still need to release on PC.
Yeah, people don't realize that there have not been a lot of AAA gaas releases the past few years. Gaas games are usually lower budgeted with developers hoping something sticks. Low risk/high reward.

Having said that, I'm more skeptical of Sony's other gaas titles. But, I bet the games are at least somewhat decent because Sony doesn't need to rush anything out

Reasses what? The Finals had more than twice that ccu and look at its state now.

Only time will tell if this will be one of the few GAAS that can carve out a small niche for itself or it'll be thrown into the sea of GAAS flops.
I'm still playing THE FINALS on a daily basis from Australia and I get a match in under 60 seconds. Game is doing just fine.

Also hell yea go Helldivers!

I don't necessarily disagree, but it's only been out a few days and it's not a super big franchise. It's doing just as well as say Apex Legends when it first came out.

Yeah, people don't realize that there have not been a lot of AAA gaas releases the past few years. Gaas games are usually lower budgeted with developers hoping something sticks. Low risk/high reward.

Having said that, I'm more skeptical of Sony's other gaas titles. But, I bet the games are at least somewhat decent because Sony doesn't need to rush anything out

I mean any new IP or game mechanic is going to draw skepticism. That's why they're inherently risky.

But Helldivers 2 so far is proving Sony's GaaS push was a good idea. If this game ends up the next Apex Legends, that'll be massive for Sony, but it will also encourage greater quality for future titles.

That is what I believe is going to differentiate GaaS games going forward. Those that have AAA polish. Of course you're still going to have flash in the pan hits like Palworld, but as far as a repeatable template, Sony using their AAA template for GaaS is a recipe for success.

A SOCOM game along the lines of Rainbow Six Siege could be one of the biggest games of all time.

A horizon game along the lines of Monster Hunter, could be really successful.

If Fairgames is more successful than PayDay 2, that'll be a win for Sony.

We've yet to see Concord or Marathon, but those have a lot of pedigree behind them.

Twisted Metal might have the exact type of gameplay to make it a hit GaaS title. It was either canceled or again they're taking their time with it to make sure it hits.

So this peaking in the early hours of the UK. Which suggests it's most popular in the Americas?! Yay/Nay.

You Yanks really like your guns!!
This is what surprised me the most about the CCU for Helldivers 2 as well. The CCU peaked at 4 AM UTC, which corresponds to 11 PM ET and 8 PM PT when most of Europe is asleep. It looks like the player base for this game is predominantly centered around North America (at least on Steam where we have the numbers).

I mean any new IP or game mechanic is going to draw skepticism. That's why they're inherently risky.

But Helldivers 2 so far is proving Sony's GaaS push was a good idea. If this game ends up the next Apex Legends, that'll be massive for Sony, but it will also encourage greater quality for future titles.

That is what I believe is going to differentiate GaaS games going forward. Those that have AAA polish. Of course you're still going to have flash in the pan hits like Palworld, but as far as a repeatable template, Sony using their AAA template for GaaS is a recipe for success.

A SOCOM game along the lines of Rainbow Six Siege could be one of the biggest games of all time.

A horizon game along the lines of Monster Hunter, could be really successful.

If Fairgames is more successful than PayDay 2, that'll be a win for Sony.

We've yet to see Concord or Marathon, but those have a lot of pedigree behind them.

Twisted Metal might have the exact type of gameplay to make it a hit GaaS title. It was either canceled or again they're taking their time with it to make sure it hits.
I don't mind Sony's investment in gaas, I mind them attempting to shift their traditional SP studios into making gaas games. I believe they have already shifted strategies though, with Factions failing and canceling an Insomniac gaas game. Guerilla is the only big SP studio of Sony's making a gaas game. And while the Horizon gaas may be good, it is obviously just chasing trends

That is why I think Sony kind of got lucky with HD2. The game is so wholly original and was an obvious evolution from HD1. I don't believe Sony's other gaas games will be nearly as innovative or boundary pushing. AAA polish will for sure help. And I give loads of credit for Sony helping Arrowhead make the AAA leap. HD2 is still lightning in a bottle type succes, imo

Also, I loved Socom as a kid on PS2. It is an amazing IP. I think it's a tough investment to make a PvP Military shooter in 2024. That is a really saturated market place

I don't mind Sony's investment in gaas, I mind them attempting to shift their traditional SP studios into making gaas games. I believe they have already shifted strategies though, with Factions failing and canceling an Insomniac gaas game. Guerilla is the only big SP studio of Sony's making a gaas game. And while the Horizon gaas may be good, it is obviously just chasing trends

That is why I think Sony kind of got lucky with HD2. The game is so wholly original and was an obvious evolution from HD1. I don't believe Sony's other gaas games will be nearly as innovative or boundary pushing. AAA polish will for sure help. And I give loads of credit for Sony helping Arrowhead make the AAA leap. HD2 is still lightning in a bottle type succes, imo

Also, I loved Socom as a kid on PS2. It is an amazing IP. I think it's a tough investment to make a PvP Military shooter in 2024. That is a really saturated market place

I think it's pretty lazy to claim that sony got "lucky." That diminishes a lot of the work done here. They believed in Helldivers 1 and they believed in what Helldivers 2 could be and funded that.

Similarly, they bought Housemarque after years of working with them and the release of Returnal. If Housemarque comes out with a game that is a big hit, would you consider that lucky as well?

Did Sony get lucky with Spider-Man and Ghost of Tsushima? Or have they invested in these studios for years whether in a 1st party relationship or 2nd party relationship? Same with Horizon and Guerrilla Games.

You can say that it's a saturated market, but there really isn't anything in league with CoD at the moment. CS isn't on PS5. So the closest thing to it is again Rainbow Six Siege, which I think Sony can top pretty easily.

Not sure what boundaries you're looking to get pushed or what you consider innovative. Can't games just be good? It made sense for Sony to try to put their AAA studios on GaaS, because they're the best studios in the business.

Guilty_AI

I think you are disregarding that HD2 is a 40$ game. The numbers would probably be tripled(if not more) if it was F2P, like most gaas games
It gives them good initial return like any premium game would, but if they want this to last and profitable on the long run, they'll need players to stick and actually buy mtx/dlc.

It also depends on returns of course, this'll probably get 50k ccu on the medium run, and 10-20k after a few months. Their investment on this game must match that kind of engagement, otherwise there's a good chance this devolve into monetization hell and eventually be shut down.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Why are people confused that this GaaS game is doing well?

Want to know the secret? OK here it is, Day 1 there are no 20 dollar costumes spread across unique characters, the fun buck cost does not go up to 100 dollar packs it caps out at 20 and that will give you enough to buy everything in the store for like 5 rotations. Not spend 100 to buy 1 fifth of the rotation. You don't even need to buy them, because you can find the currency in matches lying around in pods or bunkers.

The fact that the free battle pass has leagues more content than the paid one, the fact that you can find and earn the premium currency needed to unlock that premium pass by just playing the game. The fact these passes will never expire, and you can just keep going at them as you want in your own time.

The fact that you can call your ship "The Fist of Family Values" and the gameplay is fucking great...the mix of hardcore mechanics, with fast respawns and powerful callins is addictive, its not unfair when you die it's your (or your team mates) fault, but the death is just a minor inconvenience so who cares you whre probably low on ammo anyway, get back in there soldier.

That's why, it's no mystery, the game treats its players with respect for the time they invest in it, vs rewarding how much you spend on it.

Last edited:

Luipadre

Why are people confused that this GaaS game is doing well?

Want to know the secret? OK here it is, Day 1 there are no 20 dollar costumes spread across unique characters, the fun buck cost does not go up to 100 dollar packs it caps out at 20 and that will give you enough to buy everything in the store for like 5 rotations. Not spend 100 to buy 1 fifth of the rotation. You don't even need to buy them, because you can find the currency in matches lying around in pods or bunkers.

The fact that the free battle pass has leagues more content than the paid one, the fact that you can find and earn the premium currency needed to unlock that premium pass by just playing the game. The fact these passes will never expire, and you can just keep going at them as you want in your own time.

The fact that you can call your ship "The Fist of Family Values" and the gameplay is fucking great...the mix of hardcore mechanics, with fast respawns and powerful callins is addictive, its not unfair when you die it's your (or your team mates) fault, but the death is just a minor inconvenience so who cares you whre probably low on ammo anyway, get back in there soldier.

That's why, it's no mystery, the game treats its players with respect for the time they invest in it, vs rewarding how much you spend on it.

Also designed for coop and multiplayer from the start, not half assed sp story with thrown in multiplayer elements

I think it's pretty lazy to claim that sony got "lucky." That diminishes a lot of the work done here. They believed in Helldivers 1 and they believed in what Helldivers 2 could be and funded that.

Similarly, they bought Housemarque after years of working with them and the release of Returnal. If Housemarque comes out with a game that is a big hit, would you consider that lucky as well?

Did Sony get lucky with Spider-Man and Ghost of Tsushima? Or have they invested in these studios for years whether in a 1st party relationship or 2nd party relationship? Same with Horizon and Guerrilla Games.

You can say that it's a saturated market, but there really isn't anything in league with CoD at the moment. CS isn't on PS5. So the closest thing to it is again Rainbow Six Siege, which I think Sony can top pretty easily.

Not sure what boundaries you're looking to get pushed or what you consider innovative. Can't games just be good? It made sense for Sony to try to put their AAA studios on GaaS, because they're the best studios in the business.

I gave Sony props for elevating Arrowhead to make HD2. Sony is the best publisher when it comes to building up their studios in the industry. I think Arrowhead is kind of a unicorn studio tho. And just because HD2 is amazing, it doesn't mean Sony can replicate it with its other gaas studios. Haven and Firewalk are brand new studios and Guerilla games and Sony's London studio have never developed a gaas game before. We will see soon enough with the likes of Concord and Fairgame

Last edited:
I gave Sony props for elevating Arrowhead to make HD2. Sony is the best publisher when it comes to building up their studios in the industry. I think Arrowhead is kind of a unicorn studio tho. And just because HD2 is amazing, it doesn't mean Sony can replicate it with its other gaas studios. Haven and Firewalk are brand new studios and Guerilla games and Sony's London studio have never developed a gaas game before. We will see soon enough with the likes of Concord and Fairgame

Guerrilla had never made an open world 3rd person adventure game before Horizon and the game sold 20 million copies.

Naughty Dog had never made a 3rd person action game before Uncharted but it's one of the biggest franchises in gaming history followed up by the last of us.

Haven and Firewalk are new studios with veteran leadership and full backing from Sony.

You look at the vast majority of Sony-funded games like Kena, Sifu, and Stray... and they hit way more often than they miss and they let studios explore new avenues usually with a lot of success as a result.

Guerrilla had never made an open world 3rd person adventure game before Horizon and the game sold 20 million copies.

Naughty Dog had never made a 3rd person action game before Uncharted but it's one of the biggest franchises in gaming history followed up by the last of us.

Haven and Firewalk are new studios with veteran leadership and full backing from Sony.

You look at the vast majority of Sony-funded games like Kena, Sifu, and Stray... and they hit way more often than they miss and they let studios explore new avenues usually with a lot of success as a result.
I agree Sony has a history of letting their studios have creative freedom. But you can't tell me Naughty Dog, Insomniac, and Guerilla games all having gaas games in development in recent years wasn't pushed by Sony execs. It wasn't an organic evolution of the studio like HD2 was for Arrowhead.

I'm still excited for Sony's upcoming gaas games. My expectations are just more grounded. Like I said, we will see soon enough

I agree Sony has a history of letting their studios have creative freedom. But you can't tell me Naughty Dog, Insomniac, and Guerilla games all having gaas games in development in recent years wasn't pushed by Sony execs. It wasn't an organic evolution of the studio like HD2 was for Arrowhead.

I'm still excited for Sony's upcoming gaas games. My expectations are just more grounded. Like I said, we will see soon enough

Which Sony exec? I love how people love to make assumptions of directions, and the assumption is always to blame those at the top, even if they're only tangentially involved in day to day operations.

I'm not excited at all about Sony's GaaS games as I don't play online games, but I think it's silly to make assumptions without evidence or to call Sony lucky for things that required planning and risk.

Dazraell

eMjxjYT.png

yurinka

Yesterday Helldivers 2 achieved 119,117 CCU. Let's see what they achieve tonight. I assume they'll pass Halo MCC (had a 161,024 CCU peak).

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Releasing a game during the hype phase paid off? Say it ain’t so!

I guess the PS5 version bombed because of that day and date release narrative. What a shame!

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The major difference here it seems is arrowhead are specialised multiplayer developers wanting to make a multiplayer game.

Not a Single player developer being FORCED to make multiplayer game.

Imagine wanting to do something affecting the quality of the product.
Why do you think they were "forced"?

Vlodril

It gives them good initial return like any premium game would, but if they want this to last and profitable on the long run, they'll need players to stick and actually buy mtx/dlc.

It also depends on returns of course, this'll probably get 50k ccu on the medium run, and 10-20k after a few months. Their investment on this game must match that kind of engagement, otherwise there's a good chance this devolve into monetization hell and eventually be shut down.

Since this probably doesn't have a aaa budget it will probably be profitable from the first couple of weeks. It will be great (for them) if it keeps the playerbase and people buy the mtx but it's not like their are going to lose on it.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I just realized something.

If you aren't confident in the long term engagement metrics of your game (I don't think PlayStation is with Helldivers 2), you charge up front $$$ for it to take advantage of launch FOMO. They're literally saving the developer by using this tactic.

What a fascinating success story.

Top Bottom