• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldivers II broke 250k+ CCU on Steam: first PlayStation PC release to do so

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
fPXRkje.jpg

Will it be possible to beat Halo Infinite or Starfield?

Halo Infinite was free to play. The player count dropped off rapidly and failed to maintain a healthy user base.

Starfield had a high concurrent count but sales on all platforms dropped fast after the first two weeks.

Helldivers 2 might see long-term sales on Steam better than Starfield...unless future updates change people's feelings about the game.

Dynasty8

Just had one of the funniest, most enjoyable, entertaining and best 3 player runs. Finished almost all objectives and the end resulted in a panic to escape to the evact zone with an army chasing us. Our characters were laughing and yelling like psychopaths while mowing down and burning the entire horde of bugs. This game has so much potential. My biggest worry is content...if they add some more modes, better unlockables, new planets and hopefully new enemy variety as well down the road, then we're in for a good treat.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Starfield had a high concurrent count but sales on all platforms dropped fast after the first two weeks.
Wow so not only are you predicting Starfield is coming to PS5 and switch 2 but also predicting it's sales trajectory on them. You must be one hell of an insider.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Wow so not only are you predicting Starfield is coming to PS5 and switch 2 but also predicting it's sales trajectory on them. You must be one hell of an insider.
How am I talking about sales on PS5 and Switch 2 when I was talking about what happened to Starfield's sales AFTER two weeks?

Stuart360

I think it says more about how disappointing and awful StarField and Halo were to be so insanely low compared to projections and the History of their franchises/studios. Meanwhile Helldivers 2 is a sequel to a modest success indie game And it is doing very well for itself.
Helldivers is actually doing amazing numbers, a lot of MP games would love those numbers when they launch.
Having said that, i dont know if you are just a console gamer and dont game on PC but those numbers for halo and Starfield are fantastic. A lot of AAA games that are classed as hits dont even hit 100k CCU on Steam. Those numbers you see for Hogwarts and BG3,they are NOT the norm. Its incredibly rare to see ANY game get Dota, CSGO, and PUBG hey day numbers like those 2 have.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
There's a lot of people who don't understand nuance or context. They just think tick for tack.

I'd say any GaaS, Live Service, F2P type games it makes sense to be on PS5, PC, and Mobile day 1. These games don't really sell systems in the first place. They're successful based on the size of the audience.

I doubt many people bought a PS5 FOR fortnite. Could some kid who owns a PS5 only play fortnite? Sure, but that's probably not why the system was purchased.

I helped get a PS5 for my nephew a couple years ago. All he plays is Rocket League. Literally all he is interested in. Got him Spider-Man 2 for Christmas and he hasn't even played beyond Sandman. He's back to Rocket League. We built a gaming PC for him for Christmas, and now he is playing Rocket League on PC at 120 fps.

The younger generation doesn't care as much about story that you get with a single player AAA game. Maybe as they get a bit older potentially. They just want to play multiplayer games.

The idea that Sony isn't going to tap into that market or that they're going to wall it off for PlayStation, thus killing how many units they can actually even sell on PlayStation because of the lack of size of crossplay audience, makes no sense.

The most interesting thing is that there is no PS4 version of Helldivers 2. That might have been a mistake.
A PS4 version would have been HORRIBLE!

mckmas8808

This thinking is flawed as it assumes every PC sale is a sale taken away from PS5. That’s obviously not true.

PlayStation owners only care about their plastic box. Sony is looking at the bigger picture. They’re looking at an untapped audience with a presence in countries where they aren’t.

To Sony there’s no difference if word of mouth for their games is building on PC or PlayStation. They’re looking to grow their brand, and PC/Mobile are the only neutral platforms to help do it.

Console users have to get over their insecurity. Sony knows how to run their business.
You are 100% wrong here. And you don't understand business. Sony made the PS4 Pro specifically to get their gamers to stay with PlayStation and not go to PC.

You are 100% wrong here. And you don't understand business. Sony made the PS4 Pro specifically to get their gamers to stay with PlayStation and not go to PC.

Sony definitely wants them to play on PlayStation. If they play on PC not only are they getting less profit per unit, but they aren't building their ecosystem which gets them significantly more money, and not just attach rate, but accessories as well. This is exactly why Sony is stepping more into the peripherals business. They know their userbase is MORE likely to buy PlayStation branded peripherals.

Their PC games are only to get additional revenue from people they're either convinced won't buy PlayStation or will actually double dip and buy again on PC.

Where this might change however is when not if Sony creates their PC Storefront, where there may actually be a huge benefit to someone buying there rather than on PS5. They don't have to incur the cost of the hardware sale upfront, they still get royalties, and they have a larger market in which to sell their peripherals to, especially if they're considered best in class.

The Xbox controller used to be the go to PC controller and now the Dual Sense is surpassing it with greater native PC support than previous Dual Shock controllers had.

If they can hit it big with their headsets and monitors, they'll have created a very different market for them. There is a future where they could get more revenue from PC than PlayStation, that's even including the eventual handheld they'll release.

fPXRkje.jpg

Halo was F2P and Starfield no one was talking about it a month after release and it’s mostly bad reviews on steam.

Let’s also not forget Helldivers 2 got here as a priced game. The others are on gamepass.

And last but not least…the budget helldivers 2 has as opposed to the other 2.

I’d also bet long term Helldivers 2 will have more players and at least break even lmao

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

Sony created the PS4 Pro well before they started supporting PC. That was the mindset back then.

Obviously the mindset has changed from keeping gamers from going to PC, to bringing their biggest franchises on PC.

Dynasty8

It is over 150K now on Steam, more than doubling Sony's previous best on the platform.

The number is impressive and I really hope it continues to grow, but you can't compare it to previous Sony titles. Those previous games were released years prior on console. If we ever see something like a new GoW released simultaneously on PS5 and PC, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we saw a million concurrent on Steam.

Regardless, HD2 is awesome and I hope the momentum continues. This game is so much fun.

mckmas8808

Sony created the PS4 Pro well before they started supporting PC. That was the mindset back then.

Obviously the mindset has changed from keeping gamers from going to PC, to bringing their biggest franchises on PC.

Trust me they care about Playstation. It matters if people play on Playstation compared to PC. There's more money for them on Playstation.

Freeman76

I know its not the intention of the game in the first place, cant help feeling salty they didnt put a single player option in though, as I would have been day one on this. I dont like playing online with randoms and my friends arent gamers so I miss out on the fun with this one

• Strength
Reactions: GHG

Killjoy-NL

I know its not the intention of the game in the first place, cant help feeling salty they didnt put a single player option in though, as I would have been day one on this. I dont like playing online with randoms and my friends arent gamers so I miss out on the fun with this one
I'd give quickplay a chance, if I was you.

I don't really see much difference between playing with friends and with randoms, apart from communication.

Could be different at higher difficulties though.

Last edited:

Fabieter

Helldivers 2 won't have much of a player base in two months. Sony knows this. Arrowhead knows this.

If this is the case, charging up front is the smarter strategy. F2P is better for games that can retain sizeable player bases.

Actually I think you got it backwards. Most games that are f2p from the getgo are desprate to get a playerbase and most of the time the playerbase will drop like shit regardless.

TrebleShot

It would be interesting to have known if it would have had a PC release if ArrowHead were first party, I dont think they would have.

Arrowhead employs ~100 people.
Remedy's Alan Wake 2 was made by 130 something employees and people call that it AAA. Where's the cut-off point? Arrowhead spent more time developing the game so its budget must've been higher.
The same can be said for Hellblade 2.

i dunno why people get triggered by it. in fact I think its a compliment that sony didnt need to spend GoW, DS, TLoU or Horizon money to produce something that feels fresh, is getting high prise by the community and has surpassed expectations.

yurinka

fPXRkje.jpg

As of now:
Helldivers 2: 134,798 CCU
Halo Infinite: 7,778 CCU
Starfield: 6,011 CCU

i mean this game didn't cost TLoU, GoW or Death Stranding money. it is what it is.
Helldivers 2 had 8 yeaars of development, and pretty likely over 1000-2000 people worked on it. Budget maybe isn't the same than a top tier huge AAA like TLOU or GoW, but make sure it did cost more than the average smaller sized AAA game like Death Stranding, Hellblade 2 or Returnal.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Arrowhead employs ~100 people.
Remedy's Alan Wake 2 was made by 130 something employees and people call that it AAA. Where's the cut-off point? Arrowhead spent more time developing the game so its budget must've been higher.
Arrowhead was ~15 people back in 2015 when development on H2 started. I suspect they grew gradually over the years and didn't reach the size they are now until only a couple of years ago. Hard to gauge the budget unless we know employee count each year.

Top Bottom