• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help me choose: Skyrim vs Witcher 3 vs Fallout: New Vegas

Keratay

Neo Member
I feel like playing skyrim on console would mean missing out on a lot of things. The mods are very important for that game imo, and a little less so for new Vegas. You mentioned xbone so I'm assuming that's the platform you're looking at.

So on console: Witcher 3 ~ NV > Skyrim

Disclaimer: skyrim is one of my favorite games ever and I've never played Witcher 3.

A bunch of dummies are just going to tell you New Vegas even though that game has aged *terribly* and wasn’t that great to begin with

The Witcher 3 is the only right answer

damn seeing as how you're not playing NV on pc I'm going to side with Witcher 3. However if you do ever play NV i highly recommend playing it on a PC for the great mod support

kliklik

Banned
One thing that should be mentioned here for OP, is that I guess that a lot of the people not recommending Skyrim also probably think that F3 and 4 are trash, which are two games the OP loved. Bethesda RPGs aren't exactly beloved by a big portion of Gaffers. Which is fine, but keep that in mind.

That may be true, but fwiw, I didn't like Skyrim but LOVED Fallout, especially NV. And technically, it's not really a Bethesda game lol.

TC, I HIGHLY SUGGEST that you check out this thread, because a lot of people tried to like Witcher 3 and ended up not enjoying it. You should read their reasons and see if those problems resonate with you.

I would pick Fallout New Vegas. I enjoyed it on console.

Toni

If you would like the best rendition of magic between the 3 and the best Necromancer class of probably ever, go Skyrim. Skyrim also has the best Archery between those 3.

There is always something happening on Skyrim. The sense of adventure that you encounter in it will forever be unrivaled. I still haven't finished it after 6 years.

Its Skyrim > Tw3 > Fallout for me

Mathieran

Banned
I don't know about Fallout so I can compare all 3.

But Witcher 3 has awesome story, characters, exploration, all set in a pretty believable world. Customization is okay but probably not as strong as Skyrim's. But I would say that is the only thing Skyrim does better.

Flying Fish

Neo Member
If you want a large sandbox to screw around in and do whatever, go with Skyrim.

If you want an RPG in which everything you do matters, you can have a different role in the plot depending on your choices, and can choose from more than one way to complete a quest, go with Fallout: New Vegas.

I haven't played Witcher 3 so I can't comment that well on it.

New Vegas is by far the best game of the bunch. But if outdated graphics and bugs are going to put you off, then maybe you'll be safer with The Witcher 3? It's a giant step down in game design (repetitive, shallow mechanics reduce most quests to "follow yellow tracks to red splotches"), but the central story is plenty effective.

stn

As much as I enjoyed Skyrim and New Vegas, even combined they don't sniff the greatness of Witcher 3.

Banned
NV. If you like exploration The Witcher 3 is not for you.

Thank you! Any time I see people praising W3 for exploration, I wonder if they've played a different game than I have. NV and Skyrim are the only games where I've wandered and seen something "over there" and then have been able to enter it and explore. Maybe even pick up a quest based on a diary. W3 does a lot of things, but exploring isn't really one of them.

Lord, how I pray for a NV remaster for PS4 using whatever magic was used for Skyrim.

Three of my GOATs! New Vegas may look pretty dated though so Id skip that for now. Skyrim for the freedom and The Witcher 3 for the world and story.

Broank

Witcher 3 easily. It's a step above the others in quests, story, characters, world, gameplay. Skyrim and NV allow more experimenting and fucking around potential though.

But all 3 are must plays and I've played them all probably 200 hours. lol

Neith

Banned
A bunch of dummies are just going to tell you New Vegas even though that game has aged *terribly* and was that great to begin with

In this case Witcher 3 is the only right answer. New Vegas has a lot of options and with mods it can be decent, but it's also dated as hell and the entire engine is so fucking janky I would not even bother anymore.

Skyrim only with mods too. I seriously hate that engine.

New Vegas is by far the best game of the bunch. But if outdated graphics and bugs are going to put you off, then maybe you'll be safer with The Witcher 3? It's a giant step down in game design (repetitive, shallow mechanics reduce most quests to "follow yellow tracks to red splotches"), but the central story is plenty effective.

There really is not all that much more to do in NV quests tho. And the shooting mechanics are terrible. So terrible I just didn't use them on my PC playthrough. I played without all that dumb slo mo shit.

New Vegas was my GOAT game for a long time, and it is absolutely still worth playing. That said, having just finished the Witcher 3 and the expansions, it's a toss up whether TW3 or BOTW has now taken over that honour.

Of the games you mentioned, my vote is for the Witcher 3. The story and characters are so engaging and memorable, not to mention the stellar soundtrack. Sidequests are consistently above what you would expect in games of this type, and do not feel like a chore to push through.The visuals are still some of the best I have seen; especially in 4K on PC. The only "knock" against it per se is that it has a high learning curve, and until you're comfortable with all the systems (which signs, oils and potions to use in which situations, checking bestiary entries, how to manage combat), it can seem a bit overwhelming. However, it is worth pushing through that, as once they all click, the game is incredibly rewarding.

At some point, you will still want to check out FNV though, even with its dated presentation.

PixelatedBookake

I wanna say Fallout New Vegas because it's shorter than The Witcher 3 so you can go back to it later and do different playthroughs. So yeah I'd say F:NV

xviper

Witcher 3 wipes the floor with the whole elder scrolls and fallout series combined, it's so damn good, a true masterpiece, and don't worry, it's not overrated like TLOU, everything you heard about TW3, it's even better

BUT, if you are planning on playing W3 then going back to Bethesda outdated games, you are making a big mistake, skyrim is one of the best open world games out there, but it's trash in comparison with Witcher 3, so i recommend playing Skyrim then playing Witcher 3 so you don't ruin it for yourself

as for NV, just don't play it, i have played N64 games with better gameplay

Varna

From what I recall 360 version of New Vegas was all right. It's by far the best of the three and if you do go that route just remember to go with the highest difficulty option and hardcore mode enabled. It's the only way to play.

If you were on PC Skyrim would be temping what with all the ridiculous mod options... but I would still go with New Vegas. It's just a really engaging game all around and the gameplay is very satisfying with Vicious Wasteland mod (or JSawyer mod if you wanted something a bit more forgiving).

No idea how someone can call the gameplay in New Vegas trash and immediately follow up with recommending The Witcher 3.

Movement is general responsiveness are abysmal. The game tries so hard to emulate much better games and just fails on every level.

Everything related to the UI is total shit. Easily up there with Mass Effect one in terms of inventory management.

The gear system is laughably bad. 99% of gear is worthless. Why did this game feel the need to shoehorn in a Diablo style loot system? They undermine it immediately with the Witcher Diagrams (basically crafting recipes that are easy to get and are the best gear in the game).

The combat is laughably easy since every single skill tree seems to have some ridiculous broken functionality. This is on the hardest difficulty.

I just don't get it at all. It's a gorgeous game and the story and characters are great. But you have to handicap yourself to keep the gameplay interesting and exploration isn't very rewarding since you don't gear up via random rewards.

Polish FolkHero

Neo Member
Witcher 3 hands down!
Then Skyrim
Then New Vegas
Or whatever any of these games ticks your boxes, just think The Witcher Geralt ticks them the hardest and bestest! Good Luck on the path.

There really is not all that much more to do in NV quests tho. And the shooting mechanics are terrible. So terrible I just didn't use them on my PC playthrough. I played without all that dumb slo mo shit.

New Vegas's shooting mechanics work fine for an RPG where combat (and shooting in particular) shares the stage with several other game systems. It's no worse than TW3's swordplay, and because New Vegas gives you a wide variety of weapons (guns, rifles, shotguns, heavy weapons, grenades, melee, etc., some w/ physical or energy options) and the option of approaching combat scenarios in a number of different ways, in my view it comes out ahead on combat.

As for "not all that much more to do in NV quests," I'll just leave this here:

mAENC.jpg

Bl@de

On console: Witcher 3. Canˋt imagine NV or Skyrim without Mods. Donˋt know about XB1 limitations for Skyrim mods.

Kazuhira

I think NV is waaaay more fun than W3,but choosing W3 sounds like the best option for you because it would like a breath of fresh air after playing FO3 and 4.
NV is maybe the only open world game i've bothered to explore every single location and sidequest with multiple characters but yeah,the game hasn't aged well visually.
Never played Skyrim so i can't speak for that one,but you there's no wrong choice between NV and W3 IMO.
You could feel lost with the lore/story/characters of W3 if you haven't played W2 at least though.

ISOM

A bunch of dummies are just going to tell you New Vegas even though that game has aged *terribly* and wasn’t that great to begin with

Yeah fuck off, just because people have different opinions. Real nice dialogue there.

redcrayon

New Vegas would be my pick of the bunch, one of only a handful of 'modern' RPGs I've played through more than once. To be honest I didn't find the combat in any of them to be great (it made me quit the Witcher after a few hours) but the varied ways you can approach questlines in NV is awesome.

New Vegas is my favorite of all three, followed by Skyrim, and then I liked Witcher 3 while playing it but something didn't click with me and I never played it more than ~10 hours or so. I liked it and the world looked good but it didn't hook me.

New Vegas is a great game but some of the mechanics have aged poorly, or well, they were aged when the game came out and have since gotten worse as better games have come out mechanically. Things like incessant load times (especially in the area of New Vegas proper, which has some of the worst area design w/ loading of any major game I've ever played), and that Bethesda-engine jank that we've all come to know. I also felt that NV was very linear for the first ~20 hours of the game. It does open up and becomes less linear than Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3, and Fallout 4, but for that first 10-20 hours it felt super linear to me, where Fallout 3 did not.

Skyrim is very polished, seems super impressive when you first play it, but then loses some lustre at the mechanics show through and you realize that there's not a lot to the game. But, from hours 1 - 80 it's an excellent game, and so if you can get 80 excellent hours out of a game, even if hours 81-120 are repetitive and hollow, then I still think it's a good game.

Based on that you like GTAV a lot, I think you'll probably enjoy Skyrim and you should play it. Not that they're the same game or anything, but most of the criticism of Skyrim comes from RPG enthusiasts who were unimpressed with quests and activities in the game, or character building... But things like world exploration and other elements are done really well, and so if you enjoy GTAV for exploring the world, then you'll probably like Skyrim as well.

If you want a RPG, New Vegas is better than both. TW3 is not a full RPG experience although a great game.

If it's just a choice between those three, The Witcher 3 I guess.

Oynox

Yes, NV looks like shit compared to the other to on the Xbox One. I would certainly go with The Witcher 3 because the whole experience is more cohesive than with Skyrim. Skyrim certainly is no bad game but the game direction of The Witcher 3's world is just phenomenal. Even if you leave most side quests aside and especially do not do all the random shit it is a superbe game.

Kill3r7

I feel like playing skyrim on console would mean missing out on a lot of things. The mods are very important for that game imo, and a little less so for new Vegas. You mentioned xbone so I'm assuming that's the platform you're looking at.

So on console: Witcher 3 ~ NV > Skyrim

Disclaimer: skyrim is one of my favorite games ever and I've never played Witcher 3.

Some mods are available on consoles.

ffvorax

FNV is a more of the same, but with all the exp, is a fantastic more of the same! Much better role play than F3/4.

The Witcher 3 has the best script in terms of fantasy stories out there, nice chars and good role play, also is huge but fun to explore.

Skyrim was good and fun at the time, but I think it feels outdated now, and also it's not so good in any points... it has a great background if you like to read all the books ingame... but gameplay and roleplay whise, is not particulary good. (but dragon fights are fun, the best dragon fights you will find in a game)

For me so W3>NV>>>>Skyrim (and I like skyrim)

sublimit

Banned
I haven't played Fallout New Vegas but the Witcher 3 absolutely destroys Skyrim and then mops the floor with its corpse.

Witcher 3 with its expansions is a one in a lifetime experience and a case to be studied. I have serious doubts that even CDPR will ever manage to top it.

New Vegas is definitely a buggy mess, but it's easily the best out of that trio.

After that, Skyrim and the Witcher 3 are on about the same level for me. If you want story and good writing then the Witcher 3 would definitely be the way to go. If you want better exploration and a feeling of being in the world, then I'd go with Skyrim. Skyrim has better combat as well. Not that it's all that good, but combat in the Witcher 3 is poop. Both are good games, just in different ways.

Only played Skyrim and Witcher 3.

I enjoyed Skyrim, but Witcher 3>>>>>Skyrim.

In my opinion, it is the best WRPG ever and one of the few games to marry cinematic story telling with an open world design.

I don't think Witcher 3 is a missable game. As far as story driven games go you won't get more for your money anywhere else. It's the most impressive RPG presentation I've ever seen by a longshot, and the sheer amount of storytelling as well as its consistently high quality is astounding.

m00h

Banned
It's The Witcher 3.

I love the world of Witcher 3. Wandering around through the lonely areas of Kaer Morhen, letting the moonshine reflect from your back. Climb up the mountain pass and admire the beatiful nightly landscape.

saktrop

Neo Member
Even though i have fond memories of skyrim i've gotta go ahead and say witcher 3. The writing is just so much better along with the atmosphere.

Top Bottom