• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help me decide which retro JRPG I'm playing next

i-Jest

Your ass should be playing the Seventh Saga. Now that's worth your time of day, unlike all those games listed.
Relax guys, I'm just joking.

Thac0

Neo Member
Xenogears is my favorite JRPG ever. The second disc does have some story dump but I actually liked it. It really fleshed out the characters and world events and didn't really feel out of place. I don't remember thinking that there was a dearth of gameplay on the second disc either.

heringer

Since some of you fuckers said I need to play the original Suikoden first, I've narrowed the list down to:

Xenoblade
Suikoden -> Suikoden 2
Breath of Fire 3

Still open to new suggestions, though!

If I do play Suikoden and the game manages to dissuade me to play the sequel, that's on you!

Lothar

Banned
Since some of you fuckers said I need to play the original Suikoden first, I've narrowed the list down to:

Xenoblade
Suikoden -> Suikoden 2
Breath of Fire 3

Still open to new suggestions, though!

If I do play Suikoden and the game manages to dissuade me to play the sequel, that's on you!

What are your thoughts on Lufia 2 and Earthbound? Played them?

heringer

What are your thoughts on Lufia 2 and Earthbound? Played them?

Since they are SNES games, it would be a bit of a hassle to play them.

I've read some reviews on Earthbound and didn't like what I read though. Don't know much about Lufia 2.

Your ass should be playing the Seventh Saga. Now that's worth your time of day, unlike all those games listed.
Relax guys, I'm just joking.
One of my favorite Snes jrpgs actually. Cool post apocalyptic Fantasy with rather gritty monster and character designs. Visually it reminds me of Phantasy Star 3. Super challenging as well (although this has much to do with Enix USA's meddling with the game balance).

Yeah, I'm leaning towards Xenogears. Only downside is that the game is looooooong (nowadays, the shorter the better to me).

lol you're playing the wrong genre then ;p Just take your time and play in chunks as time affords you. It's seriously a must play for avid JRPG fans, the story is unparalleled in both mine and many other gamer's opinion.

heringer

lol you're playing the wrong genre then ;p Just take your time and play in chunks as time affords you. It's seriously a must play for avid JRPG fans, the story is unparalleled in both mine and many other gamer's opinion.

I can still play and enjoy long games, but lately my attention span is much shorter, so the game really, really has to keep me interested.

No, sadly there isn't. It's fucking absurd.

Yeah, and I just checked the price of a used copy.

ROFL, I guess VP is out of the competition.

I know Suikoden 2 gets a lot of praise, but when I tried to play it on Vita, everytime I booted it up I would have bought idea where to go next.

No quest markers, I spent like six hours wandering around and accidentally over levelling myself

Lol quest markers.

Old school rpgs aren't for you if you need that.

Weebos

Banned
I haven't played any of these either OP, so great thread. Xenogears sounds like the next older RPG for me to tackle, after I get around to finishing FFT and FF6.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Glad to see Xenogears getting so much love. I played through it earlier this year. Last time for me was 2002. I have to say it holds up amazingly well even today. There's really no other game like it. The story, music, cast of characters, environments, etc. all feel very unique to JRPGs.

The experience was sort of bittersweet for me. It's sad knowing that there will probably never be another JRPG that even attempts to tell a story as epic as Xenogears.

I'm sure others have done it already but I always pop into these kinds of threads and recommend Live a Live. What a cool and weird rpg. It blew my damn mind the first time I played it. I don't want to spoil too much but it's basically a bunch of different themed rpgs in one game.

Silraru

I'm sure others have done it already but I always pop into these kinds of threads and recommend Live a Live. What a cool and weird rpg. It blew my damn mind the first time I played it. I don't want to spoil too much but it's basically a bunch of different themed rpgs in one game.

Isn't Live a Live Japanese only?

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Seems like some very good suggestions here. Any word on Konami bringing Suikoden 2 to Steam?

jb1234

Yeah, I'm leaning towards Xenogears. Only downside is that the game is looooooong (nowadays, the shorter the better to me).

Xenogears is pretty long, partly due to the slow-scrolling text, one of the most irritating parts of the game. It's a great game but dated in a LOT of ways. I'm not sure if I'd ever replay it, personally.

Suikoden can be easily finished in under 20 hours. Its sequel is probably 30-35 hours (and one of the best JRPGs). It's not required to play the first game but there are some plot points and characters that carry over to the sequel.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Breath of Fire 4 is probably the weakest entry on that list, and that's saying something since BOF4 is still a good game. But damn, that's a ton of quality... I'd personally go with Star Ocean 2 since it's one of my all-time favorites. But then again, so are Valkyrie Profile, Suikoden 2, and Xenogears... And Trails in the Sky is the (required playing) prequel to my GOTY 2015.

Decided to go with Xenogears for now. Thanks guys!

Excellent, looking forward to your impressions. The story starts out simple but boy does it open up so just give it time. A nice thing about this game among your list is that it isn't a sequel like most of the others so nothing will nag in your mind that you'd enjoy it more if you played the prior iteration ;p

As for you Suikoden fans, I realized I'd only played Suidoken 4 I think it was? Where you're at sea and was on the PS2. So I went ahead and purchased Suikoden and Suikoden 2 on PSN and had to dig up my PS3 and get it setup in the living room so you still got your message out there and we'll see if I agree with you ;p I've played most of the all time great JRPGs so I need to check Suikoden 2 off my list. I should be able to beat the first one before RE7 comes out but not sure about the sequel. Either way, I purchased it so I'll play it soon.

Jay Sosa

tits isn't retro

and the answer is always suikoden 2, no matter the question.

Grandia 2! Best combat system of any RPG. No qualifiers, no conditions.

I'll never understand the love for Grandia's battle system (finished all 3, and loved the first and the third).. I mean it's alright I guess..but people always act like it's the best thing ever.

Xenoblade
Suikoden -> Suikoden 2
Breath of Fire 3

you can skip suikoden 1, it's really not all that good. BOF 3 is awesome, might be among my Top 5...but Suikoden 2 is still so much better.

heringer

Actually, I changed my mind. I will go with TitS. Xanadu Next got me in the Falcom mood, lol.

But I have Xenogears and Suikoden waiting for me next.

Lol quest markers.

Old school rpgs aren't for you if you need that.

I've been playing RPGs since the original Dragon Warrior on NES.

I find Suikoden 2 is particularly easy to get lost in though. Most old school RPGS I don't have this issue. Thanks for the condescending tone though, junior.

Top Bottom