• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help me pick out a prebuilt gaming pc! Please

It’s been awhile since I’ve built a gaming pc or purchased one. What is a good prebuilt pc or site to use?

Price is almost no object, it’s a pretty well off relative buying for his son, so it should be like a 4090 build with monitor/keyboard, etc.

I just want to make sure it’s done right and not using a last gen SSD or older ram type or shit psu. Etc.

If the price was anywhere around $5k he probably wouldn’t even hesitate.

OverHeat

« generous god »
He’s in another state, I’m not building him shit.
Origin PC
T1d2Gty.png

Op, I was in a similar situation a few months ago. Friends wanted me to build one, but I was too intimidated. I found an Amazon deal of a pre built PC that seemed to have pretty good specs.

It was this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BTRXP7C4?ref_=cm_sw_r_apin_dp_CNRNFEXAGQ9J8XXG95GV&language=en-US&th=1

I know nothing about PC gaming, so not sure if it is up to par, but I've had no complaints at all so far. And it is running every game I play on ultra settings. With your budget it looks like you can get the fully decked out version, if you'd like. Best of luck with your purchase.

shaddam

After I did my scuba license I realised building a pc and assembling the scuba gear is the same. Put everything together, if something does not fit dont force it(you can try and jiggle gently a bit)

Please also recommend a good pre-built gaming PC that is reasonably priced, for people that don't want to build their own and for whom money is an object.

Last edited:
use ddr5 6000 minimum.
samsung m.2 SSDs are good. 990 series is the latest, but 980 is good too. WD black edition m.2 SSDs are good too.
prebuilts usually dont give a ton on info on the PSU. high end corsairs and be quiets are usually decent. if worried, get a higher wattage PSU (>1000w), since theyre usually built better (but not always).

went here (https://www.originpc.com/configurator/genesis/) and maxed it out for a cool $7500.
but free shipping.
and no monitor.

AndrewRyan

Bought a prebuilt from CyberpowerPC back in 2016 and was very happy with it. About a year later a huge thunderstorm caused a power outage and it stopped working.

Took a while to figure out what went bad but determined it was the RAM and contacted support. After showing the diagnostic test results they sent replacement RAM under warranty. Some parts from that computer still live on today in various systems.

Since then I only ever build from scratch and highly recommend that route, even if you're new. PCPartPicker is the way to go and you can share your potential build with others to evaluate before buying.

Bought a prebuilt from CyberpowerPC back in 2016 and was very happy with it. About a year later a huge thunderstorm caused a power outage and it stopped working.

Took a while to figure out what went bad but determined it was the RAM and contacted support. After showing the diagnostic test results they sent replacement RAM under warranty. Some parts from that computer still live on today in various systems.

Since then I only ever build from scratch and highly recommend that route, even if you're new. PCPartPicker is the way to go and you can share your potential build with others to evaluate before buying.
I pointed him towards the prebuilds, but if I ever get around to upgrading my own PC, I'll probably just have microcenter build it for me. I should take advantage of being near one of those.
I haven't built a PC in at least 6 or 7 years. I'd rather just pick out the parts and pay someone else to do it.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Last year and this year I went with CyberPowerPC pre-builts for two elderly relatives to replace their ancient desktops and I'm very impressed. Real components, quality assembly, sensical configurations, great pricing, and much more performant than Dell/HP shitboxes.
Soo much easier to deal with because they're all off the shelf regular components, both for driver support, configurability, expansion, upgrade-ability, and ease of getting replacement parts. 2 out of 2 = 100% would recommend.

MicroCenter is probably a good idea as well, but I haven't looked at their specifics in a while.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Don’t listen to these people. You can get a decent prebuilt to get started and switch out part as you go if needed. Your only mistake is you just missed all the great deals. 😂

Don’t listen to these people. You can get a decent prebuilt to get started and switch out part as you go if needed. Your only mistake is you just missed all the great deals. 😂
This relative grabs a box when he goes to NFL games . . . he's not hurting for deals.

If I was buying one now than yeah, give me the deals!!!

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Op, I was in a similar situation a few months ago. Friends wanted me to build one, but I was too intimidated. I found an Amazon deal of a pre built PC that seemed to have pretty good specs.

It was this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BTRXP7C4?ref_=cm_sw_r_apin_dp_CNRNFEXAGQ9J8XXG95GV&language=en-US&th=1

I know nothing about PC gaming, so not sure if it is up to par, but I've had no complaints at all so far. And it is running every game I play on ultra settings. With your budget it looks like you can get the fully decked out version, if you'd like. Best of luck with your purchase.
What is your budget,what will you be playing and at what fps/resolutions?

Wooxsvan

with pre builts just make sure you get a decent motherboard w/ good VRMs so it doesnt throttle your cpu/gpu AND you have big enough power supply that allows some breathing room and upgrade path for future

Jayjayhd34

I've built pcs since I was like 13 but last one was a custom pre built pc so I picked everything the only difference was it was built by a professial.

The prices of the components where not inflated either it was from scan a major retailer here in the uk the components where same price if i chose build it not.

I just got so tired of doing it myself it was always very stressful day when i decided to do a new build constantly thinking I would break that break this and I was never amazing when it came to cable management.

Getting my new Pc banging in graphics card and plugging everything fire the power button was amazing no stress it was bliss.

My best advice is to check out each part make sure its not overpriced good quality don't skimp on power as you never know what gpu you will be sticking in there in the future.

I'm sure there must retailer like scan in the states,

Top Bottom