• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HENKaku -- Vita Homebrew and more comes to all 3.60 Vitas

Sophia

So there's no way to really permanently install it? Also...what is a vpk? Im not familiar with the extension at all? The instructions arent too clear, is the VPK the emulator and you need roms to go along with it?

The .vpk file is basically the program, yes. You use the launcher that's added after you run the exploit to install the apps to the system as bubbles. You would need to supply your own ROMs.

Pretty much this. They're shoddy, quick ports so there was SOMETHING for launch.

Good to know. A lot of my games play great, and overall I'm excited. There's a lot with sound issues, though, and some games are sped up.

Just out of curiosity, weren't these emulators already optimized for Vita? Or did the devs have to do some porting to make it work with HENKaku? Is that why people are assuming they'll be optimized later?

Again, just curious, I'm not complaining, in it's current state it's still damn cool!

Tunin

This is what I've been waiting for: Easy, clean and non bureaucratic way for Vita homebrews.

Now we just need optimized emulators with filter support and we're good :D

RexNovis

Banned
What're the chances of a MAME emulator working on Vita HW? Surely if it can run PS1 and GBA games it can run MAME right?

How exactly should this work? Because I tryto go to the website on my vita, press install, and then it gives me an error has occured in the following application and a progress bar fills up. I press ok and the website tries to reload. I feel something is off.

n/m, just got it to work.

How do I put homebrew on my Vita? Do I need to connect it to the PC the first time and use the hacked content manager?

SiDCrAzY

Finally got this to install after giving up around noon. Tried it again tonight and worked the first time, makes me thing it was something to do with the site and not my Vita.(maybe both)

c0de

2048 (zx spectrum)
catsfc (snes)
dosbox (dos)
fb_alpha for cps1/cps2/neogeo
fceumm (nes)
gambatte (gb/gbc)
genesis plus gx (genesis/mega drive)
handy (lynx)
mednafen (ps1)
nxengine (for cave story)
quicknes (nes)
snes9x_next (snes)

those are all the cores currently ported to vita. missing gba and n64 among a few others afaik

In the end, it should support the same cores as the Android build as the hardware is like an Arm smartphone.

Btw, are psx games already playable on Vita? Can you buy games officially, meaning that at least Sony made an emulator that works?

Joey Ravn

Banned
How do I put homebrew on my Vita? Do I need to connect it to the PC the first time and use the hacked content manager?

It's in the OP:

The homebrew package you wish to install should be a file with the .vpk extension.
Make sure Wifi is enabled and you are connected to the same network as the host computer.
Open “molecularShell” by launching the bubble.
Press SELECT to start a FTP server. Please note that the FTP server is not password protected. Only run it on a trusted local network.
Note the IP address displayed in a message popup.
Open your FTP client on the host computer and connect to that IP address. (for FileZilla just type in the vita's IP into the box labeled host)
Navigate to “ux0” (this is the root of your memory card) and you can upload the .vpk package here or in any subdirectory.
Once you upload all the packages you wish to install you can disconnect the client.
Back in molecularShell, press CIRCLE to stop the FTP server.
Navigate to “ux0:” and then to where you placed the packages. To install, select the package and press X.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I know how shitty it will be when the pirates get to it but the only thing I can think of is a P4G Undub and a possible Phantasy Star V translation patch.
It's kinda too late at this point to have a huge impact. The Vita is basically dead and abandoned by Sony.

Those few companies still releasing games, though, will hopefully still gain sales from the Vita faithful.

In the end, it should support the same cores as the Android build as the hardware is like an Arm smartphone.

Btw, are psx games already playable on Vita? Can you buy games officially, meaning that at least Sony made an emulator that works?
Ps1 and psp runs perfectly on vita <3

Joey Ravn

Banned
Then it's not a performance or hardware problem but a software problem and we should expect good performance for everything up to psx.

I think he's talking about Sony's official emulators. Like when you buy a PSX game on the PSN Store and play it on your Vita. In that case, yeah, it's really good (I don't know if it's a "perfect" emulation, though). Hopefully, HENkaku allows homebrew devs to bypass the restrictions put in place by Sony quite a few firmwares ago and we can have full access to the native PSX emulator.

SiDCrAzY

First thing I wanted to try.

lNZfBz8l.jpg

ss_lemonade

The genesis emulator seems to run pretty well but audio sync is all over the place. The vita feels and controls so much better though than something like my shield portable

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Sorry for the probably dumb question but shouldn't programs be .vpk? Then why retroark files are .velf? Do they work?

Shaneus

Can anybody confirm if this can be used to re-install the whitelist file on PSTV to allow all Vita games to run? My PSTV got updated by mistake and I can't get the exploit to work again.
In case it wasn't posted earlier, that mirror has a vpk that adds the whitelist for you. I used it, both Lumines and Wipeout worked perfectly :)

NIN90

So by "turning off" do they mean putting it to sleep or like actually powering it off by holding the button? Because I go weeks or months without powering it off and I assume that's what everybody does with their Vita so I don't get why people are down on that.

So by "turning off" do they mean putting it to sleep or like actually powering it off by holding the button? Because I go weeks or months without powering it off and I assume that's what everybody does with their Vita so I don't get why people are down on that.

the former

I'm sorry, I read that wrong, the latter.

Just went with the VHBL emus for now. Don't have to worry about reinstalling after every reboot and better then the VPK ones.

Feels good to have the home brew back on 3.6. Never updating my mistake again.

Atolm

After playing Duke Nukem 3D Megaton Edition very recently the thing I'm most excited about is possible Hexen/Quake1&2/Shadow Warriors/Doom ports :D

Deft Beck

In case it wasn't posted earlier, that mirror has a vpk that adds the whitelist for you. I used it, both Lumines and Wipeout worked perfectly :)

Mind you, Lumines has been patched to allow PSTV play for a while. Just click the update icon on the LiveArea when you're connected to the Internet.

Soulja

What do I enter in the host box on filezilla? I'm new to this!

Thanks.

Nevermind.... I should open my eyes properly...

The .vpk file is basically the program, yes. You use the launcher that's added after you run the exploit to install the apps to the system as bubbles. You would need to supply your own ROMs.

Just to add onto this, a .vpk is just an archive containing an eboot.bin and the live area pictures/information.

For those using SNES9x with the blank icon, you should be able to add your own image for the bubble in there.

Top Bottom