• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HENKaku -- Vita Homebrew and more comes to all 3.60 Vitas

So what are the new features we can take away form this video?

Honestly having some way to play 3.61+ games is all thats left

Its just booting with Henkaku enabled and not having to mess around with the email stuff (and the chance it doesn't work). At least from the video.

Shaneus

Its just booting with Henkaku enabled and not having to mess around with the email stuff (and the chance it doesn't work). At least from the video.
That's not such a big deal for the Vita, but for PSTV it's a game changer. Hopefully there's a way for it to auto mount uma0 as ux0 as well.

Joey Ravn

Banned
With the recent news of PSN spoofing to the latest version, I decided to get myself a second Vita for HENkaku.

So I'm back on the train, boys.

McCoolName

Neo Member
With the recent news of PSN spoofing to the latest version, I decided to get myself a second Vita for HENkaku.

It's stupid, but as I've seen you post so much in this thread since last year when all this started I feel happy to read that. Just wanted you to know that I'm glad for some reason, just don't mind me haha.

Also great news about the spoofing, I thought that with 3.65 it was gone again.

Joey Ravn

Banned
It's stupid, but as I've seen you post so much in this thread since last year when all this started I feel happy to read that. Just wanted you to know that I'm glad for some reason, just don't mind me haha.

Also great news about the spoofing, I thought that with 3.65 it was gone again.

Oh, trust me. It's good to be back!

Can't wait for Enso!! :D

miserable

how do I enable video filters in Retroarch ? I installed the latest stable version and I wanted to try some scanline filters but I can't find them.

Bought a PSTV and got everything set up. I was really reluctant to buy it before because A) buying a 2nd 64GB card would suck and B) that blacklist. Both of those being fixed is great; I'm running it with a 32gb microsd in a tiny USB adapter but I might bump that up to 200gb when a sale comes around.

Any opinions on whether 720p or 1080i is better for the video output?

Also aside from online sync is there a way I can easily transfer saves between my Vita and PSTV? I'm not opposed to using my PS3 to do that but something more simple would be nice.

Zafir

Bought a PSTV and got everything set up. I was really reluctant to buy it before because A) buying a 2nd 64GB card would suck and B) that blacklist. Both of those being fixed is great; I'm running it with a 32gb microsd in a tiny USB adapter but I might bump that up to 200gb when a sale comes around.

Any opinions on whether 720p or 1080i is better for the video output?

Also aside from online sync is there a way I can easily transfer saves between my Vita and PSTV? I'm not opposed to using my PS3 to do that but something more simple would be nice.
If you're using the same memory card for both you don't need to.

Otherwise, with HENkaku there's a vita save manager app you can install on your Vita TV. Basically you can use that to make a backup of a games save on the memory card, then what you can do is grab out that file via FTP onto your computer. Then you can just do the reverse to import it back into the game on another memory card. It's not particularly simple. :p

Choo choo. I think I installed henkaku last August but haven't played much since. I need to get back on the bandwagon and see what has changed/improved. I know I can rely on you for useful updates ;-)

Doesnt PSTV have USB mass storage support now?

Why buy a 64GB card?

I bought a PSTV because it now supports USB mass storage, therefore I don't need a second card.

If you're using the same memory card for both you don't need to.

Otherwise, with HENkaku there's a vita save manager app you can install on your Vita TV. Basically you can use that to make a backup of a games save on the memory card, then what you can do is grab out that file via FTP onto your computer. Then you can just do the reverse to import it back into the game on another memory card. It's not particularly simple. :p

I don't really like the way you totally lose your icon organization when you swap a card between two vitas (I need to keep that junkware stored in a "garbage" folder), plus needing to shut all the way down, plus the database rebuild is slow when you have a lot of stuff.

Flandy

Are there any restrictions for external storage on the PSTV? I have a spare 500GB from my PS4 when I replaced it with a 2TB external seagate drive. I had to use a Y cable to get it to work on my Wii U but the PSTV only has one USB slot so I don't think it'll work :/

Are there any restrictions for external storage on the PSTV? I have a spare 500GB from my PS4 when I replaced it with a 2TB external seagate drive. I had to use a Y cable to get it to work on my Wii U but the PSTV only has one USB slot so I don't think it'll work :/

Yeah it doesn't pump any more than 500mA so most hard drives won't work with one cable. You could do a Y cable and run one to a USB power adapter I guess, or just use a separately powered USB hub or separately powered hard drive enclosure.

As far as I could tell the size limit is 2TB.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Speaking of updates, how are you like HENkaku R9, with its brand new, lovely external settings menu?

2017-05-12-021131-jpg.9122
2017-05-12-021139-jpg.9123
2017-05-12-020610-jpg.9117

Dark Rider

I'm having trouble making the quick menu in retroarch stick. whenever I press the button combination the menu appear and disappear right away it doesn't stick. I tried holding the buttons, I tried tapping the buttons fast and then slow nothing working, any idea what I'm doing wrong?

also is there a way to play my psp/ps1 games in adrenaline on 1:1 resolution? I can't seem to find that.
and I'm having the same problem trying to play retroarch game on 1:1 so any help there? I'm using retroarch.vpk that include all the cores if that make any difference

EDIT:
I figured out retroarch 1:1

still looking into how to make adrenaline play psp/ps1 games on 1:1 of course there is the filter option but that does not seem to work once the game itself is playing.
Also still having a hard time making the quick menu stick in retroarch

Lime

Speaking of updates, how are you like HENkaku R9, with its brand new, lovely external settings menu?

Does the spoofing thing refer to spoofing games that require 3.61+ firmware? I see there are multiple spoofing ones with one referring to PSN spoofing and another option.

Does the spoofing thing refer to spoofing games that require 3.61+ firmware? I see there are multiple spoofing ones with one referring to PSN spoofing and another option.

No, there is no option for playing games that require higher firmware. This is purely for PSN access.

I know there still ain't any crystal balls but I'm still afraid to reactivate my PS+ games via spoofing. I guess I'll wait and see what Henkaku Enso brings.

Has anyone checked out the recent RetroArch nightlies? The menu is totally smooth now and things like fast-forward finally work. The PSVita is easily my preferred little emulation handheld - It's almost in a perfect state for me now :)

Has anyone checked out the recent RetroArch nightlies? The menu is totally smooth now and things like fast-forward finally work. The PSVita is easily my preferred little emulation handheld - It's almost in a perfect state for me now :)

Oh great, How is snes emulation?, have there been any performance gains.

Joey Ravn

Banned
If you really hate your Vita and want to brick it, you can now sign up for the HENkaku Enso beta program!

Fill this form to signup for the device bricking test. Earlier beta builds will have significantly more risk involved (the installation can and likely will result in bricks). The hope is that we can get people who are willing to sacrifice their Vitas for the common good and the real release will result in fewer bricks. We need many data-points in order to ensure a timely release, so thank you for your interest in the beta test.
In case it is not obvious, please do not lie just to try to get into the test early. I'm not exaggerating when I say that the installation is currently dangerous and most of the work needed to be done is to make it less dangerous. In order to do that, we need to observe how things can go wrong so that we can fix things before the release. Please note that you will receive no reimbursement for any damage done to your device when you consent to this voluntary test.

(I'm not kidding with this warning. We already have two bricked Vitas and it's just not cost effective for us to continue destroying our own Vitas--hence why we're asking for volunteers.)

Skyzard

Banned
Oh great, How is snes emulation?, have there been any performance gains.

I've got a separate vita just for retroarch (and moonlight streaming - which just got a recent update too btw). Been using it a tonne for SNES/Genesis emulation.

Works great...is there a game you were having trouble with? I can test it out. I had some slowdown early last year but no troubles with recent nightly retroarch builds.

Also I got some really nice looking fake scanlines:

https://www.reddit.com/r/vitahacks/comments/4wlzy2/overlay_scanlinesgrill_effect_for_retroarch_vita/

Set the scaling to 1.33 in the overlay

I used the one without the border linked near the bottom of the comments - you'll need to make a cfg file for it and load that in retroarch - just grab one from the links in the op and rename it and the line it links to inside it (super simple).

Games looks awesome! It's quite subtle but makes a big difference imo.

============================

Here's a zip of the files you need for the borderless scanlines: https://a.pomf.cat/azwegx.zip
Here's a webm of how it looks (some artifacts from recording the screen unfortunately, but should give an idea):

https://a.pomf.cat/ndzsel.webm

Hmm, it's a lot better irl. Give it a try.

--Direct screen:

Jimrpg

I wasn't sure where to put this but this seems as good a place as any.

I recently purchased a Vita TV. I knew there were some Vita games that were blacklisted and couldn't be played without doing the whitelist hack or Henkaku.

Then I realised if I put on Henkaku, I wouldn't be able to access my PSN games because the Vita firmware wouldn't be up to date.

Is that right?

Joey Ravn

Banned
I wasn't sure where to put this but this seems as good a place as any.

I recently purchased a Vita TV. I knew there were some Vita games that were blacklisted and couldn't be played without doing the whitelist hack or Henkaku.

Then I realised if I put on Henkaku, I wouldn't be able to access my PSN games because the Vita firmware wouldn't be up to date.

Is that right?

Nope. HENkaku can safely and easily spoof firmware 3.65 and allow you to access the PSN with no issues :)

Jimrpg

Nope. HENkaku can safely and easily spoof firmware 3.65 and allow you to access the PSN with no issues :)

Wow!

I read the spoofing thing above but wasn't sure what it was. I can't believe I'll be able to log in with a hacked vita TV. That's awesome. This should be a news item on the main page.

Skyzard

Banned
Wow!

I read the spoofing thing above but wasn't sure what it was. I can't believe I'll be able to log in with a hacked vita TV. That's awesome. This should be a news item on the main page.

Just be careful, someone got banned but we don't know if it's because he pirated something and spoofed to connect to PSN.

The more recent developments in Vita homebrew make me wish I didn't update half a year ago.

:(

oh well, I still have my new 3ds and wii u to fill in the gaps that my vita/pstv could have filled.

Shaneus

Just be careful, someone got banned but we don't know if it's because he pirated something and spoofed to connect to PSN.
Is that a recent thing? The only bans I've seen have been temporary IP bans seemingly because of Near pinging the Sony servers too frequently. Happened with me and nearly shit myself, but then it cleared up.

Jimrpg

Might sound like a silly question - but what should i do - to 'be careful'?

Like just download my games and then stop spoofing 3.65? I'm assuming I have to be on 3.65 to play my downloaded games?

Dark Rider

I'm having trouble with PS1 .PBP on adrenaline
I have ff9 and driver 1+2 as .PBP
both driver games work fine in adrenaline but ff9 appear as a corrupt data but the emulator PCSX ReArmed from retroarch can play ff9 fine. Any idea how to make ff9 work on adrenaline?

Shaneus

I'm having trouble with PS1 .PBP on adrenaline
I have ff9 and driver 1+2 as .PBP
both driver games work fine in adrenaline but ff9 appear as a corrupt data but the emulator PCSX ReArmed from retroarch can play ff9 fine. Any idea how to make ff9 work on adrenaline?
Is it a multi-disc game? I don't think multi-disc PS1 games work out of the box in Adrenaline.

Dark Rider

Is it a multi-disc game? I don't think multi-disc PS1 games work out of the box in Adrenaline.

it is a multi-disc game, 4 discs in fact. Any idea how to make them work?

This isn't the issue. My copy of FFIX works fine. It's probably the case that the PBP has issues, and adrenaline is more sensitive to it than PCSX

hm what tool do you recommend to use to convert it to .PBP?
or is there anything else you think is the cause?

it is a multi-disc game, 4 discs in fact. Any idea how to make them work?

hm what tool do you recommend to use to convert it to .PBP?
or is there anything else you think is the cause?
I've used PSX2PSP, however you may run in to RAM limitations, so use a program that lets 32bit programs see more than 4GB of ram or whatever it is. That limitation usually isn't a problem, but the big 4 disc games will have this problem very frequently.

Dark Rider

I've used PSX2PSP, however you may run in to RAM limitations, so use a program that lets 32bit programs see more than 4GB of ram or whatever it is. That limitation usually isn't a problem, but the big 4 disc games will have this problem very frequently.

I'm using PSX2PSP
I retried and still no dice with ff9
I tried other games and the same problem is there with one disc games, my tomb raider 1 show as corrupted data while tomb raider 2 works fine :(

EDIT: I'm using adrenaline 3.1 by the way

Top Bottom