• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HENKaku -- Vita Homebrew and more comes to all 3.60 Vitas

I haven't been keeping track of this at all for the last year or so, so let me get this clear.

It's now possible to play our own rips of PSX and PSP games on henkaku?? Those were the only things I wanted specifically for the games that never got released on PSN.

Yes. Some PSP games will have broken DLC or cross game / demo save functionality due to security measures in some Vita updates but they are pretty rare, Disgaea 2 DHD is the most significant game I'm aware. Everything else should behave pretty much like a PSP on 6.61 thanks to Adrenaline.

Bowl0l

There is a second chance to get a MicroSD adatper for your Vita 3G. Legit stuff since it's from Yifan Lu, the guy behind HENkaku. Here's IndieGoGo page from where you can back Yifan and get an adapter:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ps-vita-3g-to-microsd-card-adapter#/

I'm wondering how much loading times in Wipeout 2048 will decrease with microSDXC 128GB (read up to 80MB/s, no idea about average speed) considering Vita's memory sticks are pos when it comes to data reading (6-8MB/s)

edit: second 400 units batch sold. According to Yifan Lu there won't be more adapters available from him but the design will be open source, so maybe someone else will manufacture more units at some point.
I haven't read through the campaign but I have 1 question:
1. Do we need to manually assemble the adapter to the Vita 1k or is it plug and play?

Yes. Some PSP games will have broken DLC or cross game / demo save functionality due to security measures in some Vita updates but they are pretty rare, Disgaea 2 DHD is the most significant game I'm aware. Everything else should behave pretty much like a PSP on 6.61 thanks to Adrenaline.

The time has finally come for me to abandon my PSP Go.

How do other emulators generally run on the Vita? Any notable improvements over other handheld versions of said emulators?

Sorry to ask all these questions, but the folks here would know way better and more accurately than if I were to just tool around on old forum posts while searching Google.

MUnited83

For you.
There is a second chance to get a MicroSD adatper for your Vita 3G. Legit stuff since it's from Yifan Lu, the guy behind HENkaku. Here's IndieGoGo page from where you can back Yifan and get an adapter:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ps-vita-3g-to-microsd-card-adapter#/

I'm wondering how much loading times in Wipeout 2048 will decrease with microSDXC 128GB (read up to 80MB/s, no idea about average speed) considering Vita's memory sticks are pos when it comes to data reading (6-8MB/s)

edit: second 400 units batch sold. According to Yifan Lu there won't be more adapters available from him but the design will be open source, so maybe someone else will manufacture more units at some point.

dayum I wasn't aware of this. I need to search for a cheap 3G used Vita somewhere. A Vita with a 256GB MicroSD would be so awesome.

Shaneus

Question - if I were to get a Japanese Vita - one of the cool colors - and it is guaranteed 3.60, if I install HENKaku, swap the X/O buttons on the OS, then update it to 3.65 or whatever the latest version is so I can still access PSN and still do all the online stuff as normal... would I lose the X/O button hack? Basically all I care about.
There's no guarantee it will be 3.60, I'd say there's a fair chance it won't be:
https://www.reddit.com/r/vitahacks/comments/69fru2/firmware_of_new_ps_vita_from_japan/

And no, you won't keep your hack. Just assume that anything changes that can be made to the Vita via Henkaku are temporary and will not be saved if updating.

Just reboot your Vita and install it as usual.
Install via the website, obviously. If you have an offline installer, it'd have to be updated as well.

Lime

I haven't been keeping track of this at all for the last year or so, so let me get this clear.

It's now possible to play our own rips of PSX and PSP games on henkaku?? Those were the only things I wanted specifically for the games that never got released on PSN.

Yes it is via Adrenaline.

Google "adrenaline easy installer" and you're pretty much set. Then transfer your ripped umd's and cd's to the Vita and you're golden.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Question - if I were to get a Japanese Vita - one of the cool colors - and it is guaranteed 3.60, if I install HENKaku, swap the X/O buttons on the OS, then update it to 3.65 or whatever the latest version is so I can still access PSN and still do all the online stuff as normal... would I lose the X/O button hack? Basically all I care about.

I guess you would lose the hack, unless it's something like the Vita TV whitelist hack. I wouldn't take any risks, honestly.

That being said, HENkaku can spoof PSN access, so you don't need to update past 3.60 to enter the PSN :/

Yep. You can either use good ol' ARK (full PSP support and PSX without sound) or the much better alternative, Adrenaline, which is literally a full PSP CFW in your Vita.

Shaneus

That being said, HENkaku can spoof PSN access, so you don't need to update past 3.60 to enter the PSN :/
Important to note, spoofing only works (at this point in time) for PSN access, NOT if there is a game that requires a newer firmware version. I believe all the recent Limited Run titles will not work with 3.60 Vitas.

Important to note, spoofing only works (at this point in time) for PSN access, NOT if there is a game that requires a newer firmware version. I believe all the recent Limited Run titles will not work with 3.60 Vitas.
Any game printed after the 3.61 update will require higher firmware, so yeah. LRG are not an exception regardless of when the game originally released.

I just purchased a game on the recent digital sale (Forma.8) and it downloaded fine, but it crashes when I try to launch it with Henkaku active, and when I restart, I get a message saying the game requires 3.63 in order to run.

Is there any way I can get it to work with Henkaku or is there something in the works that will do that?
If not I'll probably just try requesting a refund tomorrow (never tried getting a digital refund).

The game was crossplay on my PS4, but I really wanted it as a handheld title.

I just purchased a game on the recent digital sale (Forma.8) and it downloaded fine, but it crashes when I try to launch it with Henkaku active, and when I restart, I get a message saying the game requires 3.63 in order to run.

Is there any way I can get it to work with Henkaku, or should I just try to request a refund tomorrow?

I guess I could play it on my PS4, but I really wanted it as a handheld title.
Can't play it yet. There may be spoofing of this nature at some distant point in the future, but don't wait up for it.

Can't play it yet. There may be spoofing of this nature at some distant point in the future, but don't wait up for it.
Thought as much. :(

Oh well, I'll try my luck at getting a refund, but even if I don't get it I'll only be out $6. I should have just gotten the iOS version (which is only $4), but I'd have preferred it without touch controls.

I guess I didn't realize the game was such a recent release. I'll have to keep an eye on that for future purchases.

SheHateMe

Question: I've already unlocked my PSTV, but any game that I download from the store won't download the update as well.

Example: downloaded Muramasa and there an update for it, but it won't download or install.

Am I doing something wrong, or am I just stuck with version 1.00?

Is there a table somewhere showing the factory-installed firmware revs on various vita models? I suspect none of them will come with 3.6.1, I just want the infos for my own curiosity.

DMNBT

Neo Member
Question: I've already unlocked my PSTV, but any game that I download from the store won't download the update as well.

Example: downloaded Muramasa and there an update for it, but it won't download or install.

Am I doing something wrong, or am I just stuck with version 1.00?

Disable the whitelist, update the game, then re-enable the whitelist.

I hate that homebrew access came out before the system lost all support.

I want PSN access but I'm scared of getting banned for using the PSN spoofing feature. But I also don't want to update my Vita in case Sony ever shuts down PSN features for the Vita which would make it completely useless without hacking it.

Now I've just been unable to use my Vita and I hate that.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I hate that homebrew access came out before the system lost all support.

I want PSN access but I'm scared of getting banned for using the PSN spoofing feature. But I also don't want to update my Vita in case Sony ever shuts down PSN features for the Vita which would make it completely useless without hacking it.

Now I've just been unable to use my Vita and I hate that.

If it's of any worth, nobody has been banned for using HENkaku, as far as I know.

I need a 512 GB microSD now, I have 6 64 GB cards. Though there probably a solid 40 GB of overlap from PSP titles I have on both my main system and homebrew one.

And some of the stuff on my main likely won't be Transferrable due to being for later system versions.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
This doesn't require a 3G 1k. It works on all vitas. the one in the video is a 2k.

Oh, is that so?? Earlier I had read that the exploit would only work with 1000 3G PCBs.

I wish I could take the high road and say this doesn't please me, but I've given Sony $250 for a tiny 128GB of storage.

Oh, is that so?? Earlier I had read that the exploit would only work with 1000 3G PCBs.

I wish I could take the high road and say this doesn't please me, but I've given Sony $250 for a tiny 128GB of storage.

That's a different project, which replaced the internal modem/SIM card with a SD card adapter in the Vita 3G models (the Slims never had 3G as the feature never really took off).

Only problem is the need to solder things.. i hope Sony just give up on their MMC and sell an official microSD adapter instead.
I can tolerate paying $15~$40 for one because I already paid Nintendo $15 for a comfort grip.

You don't really need to solder this, someone will certainly sell these pre-assembled very soon.

You don't really need to solder this, someone will certainly sell these pre-assembled very soon.

Yeah ill be keeping an eye on this space

Should be awesome. I wonder if the September release will finally allow us to play 361 and beyond content as well

Then I can get a massive MicroSD card and have the ultimate legacy system

I hope there are still some devs out there will to improve the Native Vita emulators at some point

Top Bottom