• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here is how replacing your HDD on PS4 works (ComputerBild)

Parablank

Wow that screw is so adorable.

I never thought of taking off the top panel as a viable method, but the way they've done it is really nice. I thought that the little opening to side of the blu-ray drive would be the place to upgrade drives, but this is better.

Joeki11a

Banned
Look at that family:

t1esTPp.jpg

60 gig has Ps1 and ps2 inside...

You know the PS4 looks very slim

Cragvis

Jesus, sony really went all out engraving screws with the button icons...

Just awesome levels of care and detail went into the design of that thing.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I would really appreciate someone creating a list of compatible (and tested) 1TB 2.5" SSHDs.

I want to buy one to install straight away.

tipoo

Banned
Under the HDD cage looks like a heatsink to me. Anyone else?

960e3b0e-9faf-4c4b-802c-bedab75977dd_640x360.jpg

Nope, that's just standard electronics structural integrity stuff. Hard drive cradle or whatever. Not a heatsink at all. My laptop has that on the inside too. Although it could absorb some heat, that's not its function.

Also similar:

i_fixit_teardown_contentfullwidth.png

The thing that's ABOVE the heatsink for RF shielding, but not part of the heatsink itself.

I still really want to see what Sony did with the cooling here.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Under the HDD cage looks like a heatsink to me. Anyone else?

http://img.new.livestream.com/events/000000000025c745/960e3b0e-9faf-4c4b-802c-bedab75977dd_640x360.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Bigger image for you:

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/wRn6ULr.jpg

Reule

Stripping that screw would make your heart skip a beat. Very awesome. I don't think I'll be exchanging my HDD with anything, I've been pretty content with the size for the most part. Maybe in the future!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I wonder if they're allowed do a tear down...I'm guessing not if this is something 'on loan' from Sony.

Would love to see the PS4 motherboard compared to PS3's first. And the cooling system for that matter.

VanWinkle

Woah, they pretty much have a video unboxing of the PS4 on there. It's a "for testing" PS4, but the inside of the box looks like what I imagine it would look like in the retail boxes. The DS4 looks so nice! I haven't finished the video yet but it's getting me HYPED.

tipoo

Banned
They said "tomorrow we will take a closer look inside the PS4". I'm not sure if they will actually tear it down, but we might be lucky.

Ooh, excited.

God, I'm a geek. Getting excited over seeing what the heatsink and fan and motherboard layout will look like.

I know that Nintendo has their own specialty-shaped screws they use to assemble their consoles, but Sony legit branded their screws with PS symbols. That is to cool for school!

Top Bottom