• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here's an underrated gem, Prince of Persia 08

El-Suave

I didn't like it as much I thought I would back in the day. In fact I was even disappointed. I think it was the combat and the repetitiveness if I remember correctly.

yeah, really liked that game except for the ending. The game ends abruptly and true ending is available only in paid epilogue DLC, which wasn't even available in my region :/

Seijuro

Really loved the game back when it released. Loved everything from artstyle, gameplay, story. Still waiting for a true sequel that will never come 😣

E-flux

Easily one of my favorite games of all time even if the game lacks in difficulty. It's just one of those games where i can pop it in and be in a zen like state few minutes later while collecting orbs and watching beautiful visuals. It's a shame that we won't ever get a proper sequel for it.

Ysarus

I'm conflicted about this game. I was really interested in it when it came out, and I got a 360 partly so I could play it. It's got an amazing art direction and I enjoyed the characters and story, but the actual game felt really repetitive and boring...

I still wish more AAA games went for original art styles like this one.

Nev

Banned
It is a boring game. Combat is so terrible they might as well remove it altogether. There's zero challenge or depth to be found in this game, it is an absolute chore of a tech demo. You can't even die for fuck's sake.

People really saying it's better than Warrior Within? Lmao. Even with the edgy crap that game is leagues ahead of this.

Ivan 3414

It's a wonderful game; one of my favorite from last gen. Loved how free-flowing the gameplay felt. And honestly despite its forgiving checkpoint system it's not any bit easier than the SoT trilogy.

Seems like when PoP 08 comes into dicussion folks talk about the SoT games like they were super challenging or something lol

Anteater

I thought it was incredibly shallow with both its platforming and combat, but it's quite relaxing and enjoyable enough for me

I had a greater time with the forgotten sands when I played them back to back not too long ago, I have sands of time but haven't gotten to it

I thought it was incredibly shallow with both its platforming and combat, but it's quite relaxing and enjoyable enough for me

I had a greater time with the forgotten sands when I played them back to back not too long ago, I have sands of time but haven't gotten to it
Youre in for a treat! Sands of time is the GOAT action platformer.

rjc571

Banned
The Wii version of Forgotten Sands is a true underrated gem. POP08 is just trash which embodies everything wrong with modern gaming.

eso76

loved it.
Actually though, i don't remember much about the gameplay. But that's not necessarily the part of a game i value the most (come at me)

But i liked the story, how the relationship between the prince and Elika develops, the artstyle and settings.

loved the art style and the relationship between the characters, but the game is not good at all in my opnion. No challenge, repetitive, dull boss fights. To be honest in terms of gameplay i even prefer the forgotten sands

I have it on 360 and want to play it sometime but I think the real ending is locked behind DLC and the DLC isn't even available anymore? Or something?

I think I like '08 about as much as Sands of Time, which is a lot. Would love a sequel, but it'll never happen now. Its time has passed.

I did very much like playing this game...but then Ubisoft sold the ending as DLC! Yeah! that's right! I haven't forgotten, who has the balls to sell the ending to a game as DLC!? Ubisoft, that's who! Shocking!

This game was fun though and I enjoyed the level design. Still can't forgive them though.

Skux

I maintain that the ending is still one of the best examples of "storytelling through gameplay" that there has ever been.

The repetitive bosses made me never want to play it again, but it is indeed great.

My POP rankings would be:

1) Forgotten Sands (PC version - I believe there are different versions?)
2) POP 08
3) Sands of Time

The repetitive bosses made me never want to play it again, but it is indeed great.

My POP rankings would be:

1) Forgotten Sands (PC version - I believe there are different versions?)
2) POP 08
3) Sands of Time

I think Two Thrones is better than both Forgotten Sands and Sands of Time.. It's a very, very overlooked game, probably because it had to deal with the backlash of Warrior Within, but it was a great game nonetheless.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
I never got that complaint for the same reason. It's literally the same cycle of "failure > reset to spot before failure" that a reload or you died screen would offer, except it stays in-game and reinforces the relationship between the characters

How many games uses that very basic concept of checkpoints and failure for a narrative purpose, rather than just the gameplay usage of a Souls or a roguelike?

I mean I don't get the issue either but technically your character won't die because of "what was her name again" who rescues you. It's been a long time since I've played, I should re-play it sometime.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Bought the game on GOG during sale a few days ago. I really liked this game way back when it came out and will replay it this year in 4K for sure.

TimmiT

I think I'd love a game with the style and world of Prince of Persia 08 and the gameplay of the Sands of Time-style games. Would be the best of both worlds.

pfr

Visually it was good. Gameplay felt on-rails, there was no challenge, and all of it felt like a QTE the whole time. Prince responded in discrete 'steps', controls weren't responsive at all. Played it through, but was extemely bored of it by the end.

Top Bottom