• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hero Emblems |OT| A True Match-3 RPG Successor to Puzzle Quest (IOS)

Pride

This game is really great. No IAP stuff, doesn't require an internet connection, several hours of game play, characters have good personality, etc.

My commute in the AM is 40 mins and this game is a life saver!

Any word on an Android port date?

YSkNTAx.gif

awp69

This game is really great. No IAP stuff, doesn't require an internet connection, several hours of game play, characters have good personality, etc.

My commute in the AM is 40 mins and this game is a life saver!

Several hours? More like 30 hours of pure awesomeness!

Mike M

Nick N
I am really digging this game overall, but man does the balance seem rough and out of whack sometimes.

• Alston only attacking when your DP gauge is full coupled with the fact that you are always trying to recoup lost DP means that Alston practically never gets to attack unless you're working over some garbage random encounter mob. I guess maybe the intent is that you use him when your DP is full for extra damage, but then enemies are hitting you so hard that you shouldn't be spending those moves on anything but restoring DP, so what's the point?
  • The emblem freezing/locking debuffs are fucking brutal, borderline unfair. The enemies that use them never seem to stop hitting you with them, and every time you manage to clear a few, a new set piles on to add to what's left. Removing them canceling them out your entire move is fucking bullshit, at the most they should cancel out the number of frozen/locked emblems you clear, not fucking all of them.
  • Difficulty curve is a roller coaster. Hit a temporary wall at the assault on the castle with it's seemingly endless gauntlet of enemies with emblem locking attacks followed by a boss that could lock entire columns. Finally got passed that, and the next boss could only be hurt by Skill emblems. But then the Southern Graveyard boss was a pushover, despite having a stage full of skeletons who rush you en masse with their emblem locking attacks. On the second continent, the new mobs are notably tougher than the ones from the first continent, and are randomly interspersed throughout encounters.
  • Grinding is a pain in the ass. The core gameplay is enjoyable, but the battles are slow and take forever. Battling through 8 fights to get wiped by a boss multiple times and have absolutely nothing to show for it is incredibly discouraging, I wish they'd at least let you keep the gold and EXP you got for each attempt. I'm progressing along the story without venturing outside of where I'm supposed to be going, and it seems readily apparent that the game expects me to be using harder-hitting emblems, but at 2K gold a pop, it takes forever to grind it out.

Still a great game, but all the enemies are such dicks :mad:

I also ran into a terrible glitch where an Emblem with the flame debuff got overwritten by the key to a treasure chest, leaving a permanent phantom debuff that never left, dealing damage until I died, even if I cleared the emblem in the square :mad:

7 hours in and I finally reached the second continent

Man, those grey skeletons are a pain when they gang up on you and lock up half the board.

TheSpoonyBard

Neo Member
Any tips on killing that whirlpool Squid boss between the second and third(?) continents?

The one that seems immune to all physical damage except (my fairly weak) fire attacks?

SmokyDave

Bought the game after reading this thread. Yeah, this is the real thing. Only played 15 minutes and I can already tell it's one of those 'I planned to play Forza tonight but couldn't stop playing this' games.

As an aside, Android port begging in iOS threads is getting a bit daft. It's clear by now that if you care about mobile games, you need an iOS device.

Voidance

7 hours in and I finally reached the second continent

Man, those grey skeletons are a pain when they gang up on you and lock up half the board.
I just got there too in about the same time. I was fortunate enough to clear that area on my first try, but I spent most of my time unlocking the board, lol.

How do i know what emblems i own when i'm in the shop? seems like i could end up buying the same ones i already have.

As an aside, Android port begging in iOS threads is getting a bit daft. It's clear by now that if you care about mobile games, you need an iOS device.

Yeah, it's constant. thought port begging was bannned on GAF.

redcrayon

Bought after reading this thread, it's fantastic! Exactly what I want in a mobile game. Cheers guys!

Is there a way of knowing when it's saved, or does it do so automatically?

Mr.Walls

Neo Member
I also bought this after reading this thread. Its an awesome little gem. For the first time in a long time i put down destiny and started playing another game.
But after a few hours i got raped by the little red demon. That spike in difficulty came out of nowhere. But after reading I am going to buy my first emblem to defeat him and go back to open every chest.

FYI This game isn't for people that don't understand the concept of a actual difficult game.

SmokyDave

Boy that little red demon schooled me. One attack takes away the whole of my defence, and drops my HP to one. Awful.

Now I'm wandering the plains trying to scrounge 300 coins through random battles. Thank fuck the match 3 part is fun.

Mike M

Nick N
Boy that little red demon schooled me. One attack takes away the whole of my defence, and drops my HP to one. Awful.

Now I'm wandering the plains trying to scrounge 300 coins through random battles. Thank fuck the match 3 part is fun.
Don't do randoms, grind the last stage you were able to beat instead.

dantehemi

About 10 hours in and can't beat the boss that only get hurt from special atacks, gotta grind a bit and hit him up again with specials and 5 matches in the bank.

redcrayon

Seems like its worth having a spread of elemental/poison abilities on the party, at least until you know what the next bosses weakness is and the immunities of the monsters leading up to it. I just slaughtered a weak-to-poison boss with the poison cloud spell and the poison sword warrior skill. Sooo satisfying!

redcrayon

Anything else besides that? I seem to get money really slowly and it seems I need their emblems before I fight that boss in the cave.
Go back to the last main stage that you could beat, it's the quickest way to get cash. If you're struggling, then yes, buying any new emblems available will increase your attack/healing/defence far more quickly than levelling up a couple of times. Make sure you try any alternate routes in case there are blue chests there that you missed first time through. If you pick up any duplicate skills, you can sell them by moving them from your item bag to the shopkeeper.

Also, the first time you fight a boss, take note of which skills and specials hit his weakness or just bounced off- if you tool up the team to specifically hit his weakness you'll find it much easier. Take a couple of crosses and the purify skill to keep debuff effects under control too.

SmokyDave

Fucking squid boss is driving me crazy. It's totally impervious to my attacks so we just go back and forth until he's iced so much of the board that I give up.

I assume I can only attack him with an S.Skill, but those haven't been forthcoming :(

Voidance

Fucking squid boss is driving me crazy. It's totally impervious to my attacks so we just go back and forth until he's iced so much of the board that I give up.

I assume I can only attack him with an S.Skill, but those haven't been forthcoming :(
I am stuck here as well. According to the internet, his weakness is
lightning
, but I haven't confirmed it.

there's a bunch of different lightening skills: Howard has a regular lightening sword skill. Elsa has a Thunderbolt skill and s.skill. Can't remember where you get them from but they should be pretty cheap.

Is an Android port been announced? The game looks great.

from their twitter:

"@smcinnis We are still busy for iOS updates.
and have no idea when to go for andorid.
Need some time to evaluate. Thanks."

also from their twitter, the next update will have iCloud saving support. yessss

Mike M

Nick N
Man, these fucking difficulty spikes... I barely made it through the Valley Labyrinth last night, but the Ancient Labyrinth (The very next mode on the map!) wipes me out in like the second or third screen.

Reeeeeeally dislike how hard gold is to come by outside of one time chests and completion bonuses...

from their twitter:

"@smcinnis We are still busy for iOS updates.
and have no idea when to go for andorid.
Need some time to evaluate. Thanks."

also from their twitter, the next update will have iCloud saving support. yessss
Thank you. It was a paid having to two different saves on my phone and iPad

turnbuckle

Not Android Port begging...just...this game sounds fantastic and I wish I had a device to play it on. *looks sadly at his Note 4*

redcrayon

there's a bunch of different lightening skills: Howard has a regular lightening sword skill. Elsa has a Thunderbolt skill and s.skill. Can't remember where you get them from but they should be pretty cheap.
If you check out the village shop after youve agreed to kill the sea monster, you can buy the super lightning sword skill and super lightning spell- they kill it in no time! You can also take in the upgraded cross items- they deal with the ice quite well, along with purify skills.

Ourobolus

Banned
Been playing this off and on the past few weeks. Lots of fun. Needs a little polish here and there, but overall it's great.

- Prioritize purchasing emblems over new skills
- Use items
- Save a 5 match emblem for the boss fight and use it with a shield to make life easier
- Don't kill enemies until you have to, spend time recovering when a low hp enemy has a few turns left before it will attack
- You can go back to dungeons to pick up the blue chest drops, they are unique and usually have skills or emblems

The game is tough, this is more in line with classic JRPGs than recent mobile games that fall over at the slightest push from the player (or a purchase of moonbux). It punishes you for failing, but the grind isn't excessive if you learn how to manage your tiles and line up 4/5/L/T matches.

Also note that in 3+ matches the attack is defined by the highest emblem involved. If you match 5 emblems in which one is a buffed one then you will get 3 skill attacks. The bosses also have unique weakness and attacks, learn those. Some are elemental immune, or guard physical attacks.

I've basically been doing all of these things. Alston is by far the most important character for me to buff. Some status elements are fucking BRUTAL though, specifically the chains/locks. I really dislike that even if you match it you don't get an attack at all, since if you have a ton of them on your grid it wastes a ton of turns just trying to get rid of them, even if you're using the Cleric skill.

The only other issue I have is that money is really slow to gain. I usually have enough to get 2 of the 4 emblems in each area by the time I've completed an "area" (as in a section of the map where enemies are largely the same difficulty), and then getting the other two takes freakin' forever, to say nothing of getting skills.

I do need to go back and get the blue chests I missed though. I forget which ones, but I'll just head around and grind gold a bit.

Kouriozan

Oh wow, how did I miss that thread.
Puzzle Quest 1 is one of my favorite puzzle RPG, even the sequel or the one is space wasn't as good.

redcrayon

Been playing this off and on the past few weeks. Lots of fun. Needs a little polish here and there, but overall it's great.

I've basically been doing all of these things. Alston is by far the most important character for me to buff. Some status elements are fucking BRUTAL though, specifically the chains/locks. I really dislike that even if you match it you don't get an attack at all, since if you have a ton of them on your grid it wastes a ton of turns just trying to get rid of them, even if you're using the Cleric skill.

The only other issue I have is that money is really slow to gain. I usually have enough to get 2 of the 4 emblems in each area by the time I've completed an "area" (as in a section of the map where enemies are largely the same difficulty), and then getting the other two takes freakin' forever, to say nothing of getting skills.

I do need to go back and get the blue chests I missed though. I forget which ones, but I'll just head around and grind gold a bit.

You don't have to buy the emblems before leaving the area, it's just typical rpg OCD that makes you think you do :D You'll get far more gold in the next area, often double the amount. So rather than grind for ages to get emblems, you are better off advancing until you find it too difficult to continue, then grinding for gold at that point. Then go back and buy everything and you're all set to advance again.

Nyx

The first boss (?) is killing me over and over and over... (at the graveyard near the 1st town)

I probably just don't ''get'' this game yet, but it seems near impossible now.

Ourobolus

Banned
You don't have to buy the emblems before leaving the area, it's just typical rpg OCD that makes you think you do :D You'll get far more gold in the next area, often double the amount. So rather than grind for ages to get emblems, you are better off advancing until you find it too difficult to continue, then grinding for gold at that point. Then go back and buy everything and you're all set to advance again.
That's usually what I do, though. I will test the waters of the next area, and if I can keep going, I will. Once I hit a roadblock is when I go back to grinding for emblems.

The first boss (?) is killing me over and over and over... (at the graveyard near the 1st town)

I probably just don't ''get'' this game yet, but it seems near impossible now.
You want to use the preceding fights to get as many 5-match Emblems on the board as possible. Then focus on using Alston's barrier skill to shield your team from danger and use your other characters to unleash massive damage with your special attacks

Nyx

You want to use the preceding fights to get as many 5-match Emblems on the board as possible. Then focus on using Alston's barrier skill to shield your team from danger and use your other characters to unleash massive damage with your special attacks

Thanks, will try again on my way home later today. :)

denshuu

It is really refreshing to be playing a puzzle RPG and not worrying about feeding characters to other characters and expanding character limits and managing three different currencies.

Top Bottom