• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hero shooters and MOBA's.

Kalentan

Since there seems to be a lack of knowledge on the difference between these two genres. I thought I would make this thread to help clarify for those who aren't as well versed in it.

First off, what's a MOBA?

Typically a MOBA is a 5v5 arena game in which the main game mode (which is also typically on one map), is to destroy the enemy's base core. These usually have 3 lanes and a jungle. Hero characters typically go into these lanes based on their role, but some can go into multiple roles depending on how you build them. Typically in MOBA's you also level up as the match progresses and buy items to enhance your character for that match. There is also minions that flow into each lane.

Not all MOBA's (namely Heroes of the Storm) follow these to a dime, but it's nice general outline of an idea of the genre.

Now what is a Hero Shooter?

A Hero Shooter in many ways is the child of Class based shooters and MOBAs. Rather than merely having general classes, these shooters have specific characters that usually have a specific weapon for that character. They also will have abilites and an ultimate, which is very similar to MOBA's. Like a MOBA it usually focuses on teamwork, however it still is a shooter and thus it has many shooter tropes.

Now what makes them different?

Well in Hero Shooters, typically there is no item building or leveling that goes on as the match progresses, rather your character will be the same at the start as at the end. Hero Shooters also typically have multiple game modes per map, whereas MOBA's typically have unique maps per game mode. There is also most likely no minions of any sort, nor any lanes for which characters are expected to go based on their roles. However like any class-based game, Heros do have roles they play, just not lanes on which to go to based on said role.

What are some upcoming games are Hero Shooters?
Overwatch
Paladins

What are some upcoming games are MOBAs?
Paragon

Unknown:
Battleborn
Gigantic

You're probably wondering why I put Battleborn and Giganitc into an unknown category. That is because they do have elements of MOBA's that aren't in Hero shooters but then also share elements of Hero-shooters that aren't in MOBAS.

Battleborn does have a game mode that is like the main game mode in League of Legends, Smite, Dota, and HoTS, but is actually PvE. (Another big difference in Battleborn is it's PvE stuff.)

Gigantic seems to have it's main mode as something similar to other established MOBAs in that you must destroy the enemies guardian. But it also has domination-like key points to capture and ends with a climatic battle in the center rather than fighting towards one base and taking out their guardian there. It also doesn't seem to have any lane-based gameplay that MOBA's do.

Thus these differences may make their games play far different to a MOBA and more like a Hero-shooter with objectives. (It's also muddled since they both don't feature just shooting characters but also ones that are dedicated to melee and such.)

Now it should be noted that there are games with hero-like elements but aren't either of these. Such recent games as:
Black Ops 3
Rainbow Six Siege

While both have characters that have something unique about them, in Black Ops 3 cases, the only difference between characters is their ultimate and in Rainbow Six Siege, characters due have some unqiue perks, abilties, and equipment. But the biggest difference is that in Hero Shooters, the characters feel distinct from one another. Wheras in Black Ops 3 and Rainbow Six Siege, while the characters may have some unique aspects, they still play in a very similar manner to one another.

I may have missed some upcoming games on both sides (so please tell me if I did), but I hope this clarified things.

Top Bottom