• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of Newerth |OT| Free-To-Play [PC /Mac /Linux]

Sanjay

Won said:
I enjoyed the beta, but playing a game takes so god damn long and now with SC2 "out" it is kinda hard to put money down for this. :(
Terrible community of course doesn't help.

Play with the Gaf community then.

Won

Sanjay said:
Play with the Gaf community then.

I was talking about the Gaf community!

Seriously now, Gaf games happened rather late and I don't have the time currently for that.

dorkimoe

Chromax said:
Is it still the game you play if you want to get yelled at by 4 other people?
absolutely

even in games i create called "noob learning games" :( worst community ever. But i still love the game

I still need to buy it though, ill play with GAF if they are nice

Smash88

Banned
JoeMartin said:
Jesus this is not LoL. You can go tryhard that awful game in its own thread.

Yes I know, but it is easy to compare, since they are all people that came off the Dota project and started their own companies to make very similar games to the Dota style. The only difference, is that LoL is more noob friendly, but it is a great game in its own way.

JoeMartin

Smash88 said:
Yes I know, but it is easy to compare, since they are all people that came off the Dota project and started their own companies to make very similar games to the Dota style. The only difference, is that LoL is more noob friendly, but it is a great game in its own way.

Except you're not comparing, you're making sweeping, subjective judgments about hon (a game you have limited experience with from the sound of it) while pimping lol.

Also anyone that has convinced themselves that the lol community is appreciably better than the hon community has some serious blinders on.

Meeru

Banned
So I just played a game with Sanjay and it was bad. Very, very bad. Alot of players are really good now.

spootime

valenti said:
So I just played a game with Sanjay and it was bad. Very, very bad. Alot of players are really good now.
I feel the same way. I tend not to join pubs unless i'm with 2-3 friends because almost every game is a pubstomp.

Sanjay

valenti said:

My first game back from long break from HON always results in BAD shit happening. That game man I just want to forget.

Meeru

Banned
Sanjay said:
My first game back from long break from HON always results in BAD shit happening. That game man I just want to forget.
cant forget the past man.

valenti: cast gust
*Electrician finishes static grip*
valenti: sanjay cast gust
*Puppet Master finishes his spells*
Sanjay: **** man
Puppet Master just pwned valenti's head!
Sanjay casts gust

CryptiK

This shit needs to be on Steam to get more interest. I played the Beta and it was great.

I'd have it right now if it was on Steam but looks like according to the HoN forums its a no go so no thanks.

Hey guys, just posting here to let you know I'm still alive and will be playing more HoN in the future. Read Smash88's posts and I'm fairly convinced he must be getting paid by those working on LoL :lol

My first game on retail I ended up going 0-5 in matchmaking, which made me sad, but was expected since I hadn't played for awhile. My next game I went 16-3 as Rampage - I've still got the touch! In any case I hope HoN succeeds and gets alot of sales because they deserve it. I mean the game has more damn features than battle.net 2.0 :lol

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
CryptiK said:
This shit needs to be on Steam to get more interest. I played the Beta and it was great.
It already has more consecutive players than TF2 and LFD2, with no big advertising or media giant backing them. No, it doesn't need Steam to get interest. :lol

This game is the most satisfying game to get good at. Once you go crazy with hat tricks and annihilations you won't log out. Unfortunately I don't have the money to buy the full game but that will change in the future. If you got $30 laying around and enjoy hardcore gaming you won't be disappointed.

Chipper is the most fun hero to play.

Kapura

Banned
spermatic cord said:
This game is the most satisfying game to get good at. Once you go crazy with hat tricks and annihilations you won't log out. Unfortunately I don't have the money to buy the full game but that will change in the future. If you got $30 laying around and enjoy hardcore gaming you won't be disappointed.

Chipper is the most fun hero to play.
Nah, pubstomp ganking with Pebbs is like a million times more fun.

Macattk15

I've been owning people with Fayde. Don't know why but I almost always have a K/D over 3-4 with her. Just so easy to escape ganks and confuse during team fights with her.

This is in APEM though around the 1550 mark.

My name in HoN is Violate. Had a 1.6K/D ratio in beta. At 1.2 now slowly working up.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
HoN has better UI/Unit Control than SC2.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Thumbs up for lanaya. I miss treads + deso pwnage and trap kiting.

Meeru

Banned
Halycon said:
HoN has better UI/Unit Control than SC2.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Thumbs up for lanaya. I miss treads + deso pwnage and trap kiting.
Yeah she's my favorite hero why isn't she in this game sigh

Troblin

I played beta under Troblin and recently purchased the game.

HON name is : WilliamZabka.

And yea, the competition has definitely gotten tougher. Not so much from better players, but rather from stacked teams and more feeders in the general pub game.

Davidion

Troblin said:
And yea, the competition has definitely gotten tougher. Not so much from better players, but rather from stacked teams and more feeders in the general pub game.

This has gone up instead of down since retail? That's really unfortunate to hear.

Troblin

Davidion said:
This has gone up instead of down since retail? That's really unfortunate to hear.

I've only played 7 games so far, but from my experience, yes.

I'm sure it will balance itself out, once PSR normalizes. The feeders should drop in PSR, and the pubstompers won't be able to create smurf accounts, so their PSR in general should go up.

My rule of thumb is if there's 4+ locks on the other side and you're solo, just leave. Saves yourself 45 minutes of headaches.

blitz64

I've been playing both public games and matchmaking. My experience have been pretty good so far and winning most of them. On most games that I won, I felt like I didn't do anything and still won. So I think competition is the same, big your mileage may vary.

There should be much less pub stomps I think now it is retailer. Their ratings will stabilize to their true skill after a few games.

NG28

noisome07 said:
exactly like dota. tower placements, creep spawn/routes. everything.
Then the only thing I don't understand is why the game is still 5v5. Why not raise it to 6v6 and have even lanes so that one person from each team doesn't get to level up faster than everyone else. It had to be that way in dota because of war3, but I don't understand why they kept it this way when they could have changed it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
NG28 said:
Then the only thing I don't understand is why the game is still 5v5. Why not raise it to 6v6 and have even lanes so that one person from each team doesn't get to level up faster than everyone else. It had to be that way in dota because of war3, but I don't understand why they kept it this way when they could have changed it.
A solo lane actually offers tactical options to a team's strategy.

That and it was pretty fun watching mint ignore your team for 20 minutes and then come out of the forest to wreck shit. When I was on his team I didn't even try, in case the other team FFed too early.

Meeru

Banned
Man chipper is amazing lol..I mean I didn't think thd was all that but in here he's great. Maybe cuz of the attack animation

barnone

Are the hardware requirements high for this game? How well do the graphics scale for performance on low end machines? I'm not worried about my PC but I would like to try and get some of my friends with lower end PCs into the game.

PasteyMF

blitz64 said:
I tried playing Chipper but got confused on how to cast the ult. Do I click on the ground? click on the enemy? or click between 2 ground points?
It's vector targeting. Hold down the right mouse button, then drag in the direction you wish to lay the line of blades, then let go of the right mouse button. It works the same way with Zephyr's gust and Gauntlet's hook ability.

If you're confused, you can start a practice game with Chipper.

Meteorain

Only played 2 games so far. First game went ok with Accursed, but a loss overall.....so dissapointing.

Second game was me me just weeping. What kind of WS takes mana leech but doesn't use it? :(

Swag

Fact that game is no longer in beta means almost everyone playing it knows what they're doing, love it.

Also so many secret pub stomp lobbies, never seen so many no AB games on the list :lol

blitz64

It is multiplayer online only. No computer AI bots. I do wish there were computer players so people can practice.

Hopefully they release the sdk soon and someone can script some AI bots.

30,000 concurrent players on a weekday. That is very good numbers.

Meeru

Banned
Kapura said:
I'm really bad at killstealing. Finished a game as TB with 30 assists and only 5 kills :(
I don't mind people who ks..but I can't stand people who purposely mesmerize your own team and do nothing afterwards in a battle

blitz64

New patch 1.0.2

- Marchers are now in the outpost
- Restrict matchmaking regions to just USW, USE, EU

Awesome

Top Bottom