• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of Newerth |OT| Free-To-Play [PC /Mac /Linux]

blitz64 said:
New patch 1.0.2

- Marchers are now in the outpost
- Restrict matchmaking regions to just USW, USE, EU

Awesome
NO! Now the nubs on my team will have another excuse not to buy the courier.

Once they moved Puck out of dev heroes I can finally start playing again. I've been waiting for him.
He's already out.

Meeru

Banned
vocab said:
Guantlet is redone, and the much needed nerf to chipper happened. Look at the patch notes.
Ah there's alot more. I like the follow functionality. Kinda like following someone in WoW lol

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Alright! So in the coming weeks, I'm going to have more time, and hopefully more courage to play. Despite owning the game since Sept, I've probably only put in 2 hours or so. If anyone would like to mentor me, or have some nostat GAF games, that'd be great. ;p

Soule

Ok so I've never played DotA never played this before but I'm thinkingo f getting it... Kinda intimidated reading this thread about how the player base is pretty hardcore, any tips?

EDIT: Just bought it, hope they're gentle with me haha.

PS they should put this on steam

JoeMartin

Another new hero soon, Tundra, confirmed by Idejder to be a dota port of a str ganker.

tundra-facebook.jpg

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I just bought an account. My in game is Powerslave (I'm not to keen on using my IRL name within such a harsh community, lol). Send me a friend/guild request yo!

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
http://replays.heroesofnewerth.com/match_replay.php?mid=3516663

I'm Glacius in this match. I cannot stress the power of wards. There is no way we would have won if I wasn't constantly warding. I pretty much put all my money into wards and eventually had to buy Wards of Revelation when the shop was sold out of typical wards. :lol Of course, it helped their their Pharaoh was totally clueless and would use Wall of Mummies at the strangest times.

So do you guys here get enough games going that if I were to get this I would be able to learn without having to endure verbal abuse from whiny fourteen year-olds who think they're hot shit?

Waikis

Archie said:
http://replays.heroesofnewerth.com/match_replay.php?mid=3516663

I'm Glacius in this match. I cannot stress the power of wards. There is no way we would have won if I wasn't constantly warding. I pretty much put all my money into wards and eventually had to buy Wards of Revelation when the shop was sold out of typical wards. :lol Of course, it helped their their Pharaoh was totally clueless and would use Wall of Mummies at the strangest times.

The worst is when you spend your money warding but nobody wants to gank and continues farming....

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
TouchMyBox said:
So do you guys here get enough games going that if I were to get this I would be able to learn without having to endure verbal abuse from whiny fourteen year-olds who think they're hot shit?
Not really, no. The community is still quite toxic, although the hostility has died down slightly due to having to buy an account now. I would suggest League of Legends first to see if you like the genre. There aren't nearly as many raging teenagers in that game.

Waikis said:
The worst is when you spend your money warding but nobody wants to gank and continues farming....
The best part is when their Magebane was befuddled that we were able to gank him after I warded the Legion jungle.

Styles

So can we still join clan GAF? You can add me as friend(exact same username as here), I consider myself to be a mediocre at best right now, unfortunately.

Macattk15

I'd like an add in the GAF clan as well. Name is Violate.

Around a 1650 PSR and 1.4K/D currently. I play mostly AREM games.

Macattk15

The Lamonster said:
So...custom games? Are there tower defense maps? I'd get this but I can't really seem to justify $30 for enhanced DOTA.

Nope. It's enhanced DotA. Does have a different feel to it though.

JRPereira

The Lamonster said:
So...custom games? Are there tower defense maps? I'd get this but I can't really seem to justify $30 for enhanced DOTA.

We have a map editor and SDK in the works - once they're out, it'll be possible to do a ton of things far beyond the scope of what you see in a traditional custom map. It'll be a bit of a wait, though.

JRPereira said:
We have a map editor and SDK in the works - once they're out, it'll be possible to do a ton of things far beyond the scope of what you see in a traditional custom map. It'll be a bit of a wait, though.
Awesome, can't wait. :D

Nome

Kunkka + Beastmaster (Tundra) ports were confirmed today by Maliken via email.
Also a report player function in the works!

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Casval said:
Kunkka + Beastmaster (Tundra) ports were confirmed today by Maliken via email.
Also a report player function in the works!
That's going to be so horribly abused. Kinda wish there was some magical matchmaking option for "casual, no stat (only SMR is recorded) play".

JRPereira

Don't worry - the report function isn't going to be an automatic ban tool. It's moreso to point out incidents that the staff will review - there's a set of guidelines that anyone handling reports will need to follow to ensure that the appropriate action is taken (if any is necessary at all - I'm sure there will be frivolous reports here and there).

Macattk15

JRPereira said:
Don't worry - the report function isn't going to be an automatic ban tool. It's moreso to point out incidents that the staff will review - there's a set of guidelines that anyone handling reports will need to follow to ensure that the appropriate action is taken (if any is necessary at all - I'm sure there will be frivolous reports here and there).

Frivolous reports here and there? Do you play pub games at all? You are going to be inundated with those fucking things.

Kapura

Banned
JRPereira said:
Well, it's going to be a full-time job to sort through those. Hope you've got somebody up to the job.

Yay I found this thread! I didn't purchase it though: been playing the occasional game on my brother's account. He insists I only do no-stats games though.

I LOVE the ability to buy Marchers in the outpost now. When you play pubs with no one buying a courier it's a godsend. Still sucks when you're solo mid though.

JRPereira said:

What about inappropriate account names? Still see a lot of those.

blitz64

Macattk15 said:
I'd like an add in the GAF clan as well. Name is Violate.

To join clan gaf, join the chat channel by typing in game:

/join clan neogaf

or try to accept my friend invitation and I'll invite you to the clan when I see you online.

JoeMartin

I'm sorry but that sounds like an awful job. :lol

There's so much internet man child rage in this game that you'll be inundated with petty petitions about nonsensical stuff.

I mean how many people are gonna be on the team and what exactly is going to happen? Just reviewing replays?

Nome

JoeMartin said:
I'm sorry but that sounds like an awful job. :lol

There's so much internet man child rage in this game that you'll be inundated with petty petitions about nonsensical stuff.

I mean how many people are gonna be on the team and what exactly is going to happen? Just reviewing replays?

Well, I'll be doing other stuff too.
The details are still secretz, but I'm absolutely confident that it will be a robust, responsive system.

Kapura

Banned
Pretty big balance patch coming out. Here are the current notes.
Happiest parts: Zeph nerf and pre-selection.

Version X
-------------
Darkwood Vale

- Removed two neutral spawns, replaced them with outposts
- Replaced two of the higher tier neutral camps with tier 1 neutrals
- Outermost towers are now level 1 towers (instead of level 2)
* This means they will do slightly less damage and less starting health, same as the outer most towers on Caldavar
- Lowered building health on this map by 25%, lowered ranged rax health regeneration rate by 25% (these changes only affect the darkwood vale map)

Ingame

- Players will no longer see trees die in fog
* Meaning, juking with Logger's Hatchet / runes of blight is now much more fun!
- Toggle abilities (Web Shot, Decay, etc) and toggle items (Steamboots, etc) will no longer interrupt autoattacks
- Added an interface option for "Double Activate." When enabled, certain items and abilities may be double-clicked (or double-activated) for automatic use:
* Homecoming Stone and Post Haste teleports you home
* Health Potions and Mana Potions are used on self
* Tablet of Command, Stormspirit, Charged Hammer, and Nullfire Blade are used on self
* Portal Key blink towards home
* Grace of the Nymph, Inner Light, Protective Charm, Camouflage, Nature's Protection, Arcane Hide, Healing Wave, Cursed Shield, Fire Shield, Frenzy, and Focus Buffer are used on self
- Added new game interface option "Move To Spawn On Disconnect"
* When enabled, the server will automatically issue a move command to your hero to move back to base whenever you crash, freeze, or lose your internet connection
- Added new keybind: "Cancel And Hold Position"
* Functions exactly like "Hold Position", except it also cancels animations
* Players who want this functionality can replace their current Hold keybinding with the new Cancel and Hold keybinding
- A unit in the air no longer gains the 25% "uphill miss chance" evasion
* Units stunned by Witch Slayer or Magmus or tossed by Pebbles won't gain extra evasion
* Couriers and Tundra bird won't gain extra evasion
- Health and Mana bars for heroes will now show the damage they take
* This new 'shadowed' bar can be turned off in the options menu

- Scorescreen now contains voting options (kick, pause, concede, remake) and add friend functionality
- The camera will no longer shake when an effect (such as homecoming stone) is played in fog
- Fix to properly calculate a player's exp/min, even if he reached max level
- Neutral creep agro range for allc reeps set to 300 (some were 250, some were 300)
- Vulture Lord now has a +3 AOE armor aura
- Fix to Kongor so he won't wonk out and no one can hit him anymore
- Added a visual effect for Main health bars, they now course with energy
- Modified the internal random number generator to use a much higher quality distribution of random number
- Dual target abilities now properly ignore trees if their target scheme ignores them
- Hero health/mana bars are now shadowed with 500ms delay on the shadows
- Gold lerps to its actual value over 350m
- Toggles are correctly propagated to illusions
* Fixes illusion steamboots, illusion fayde stance, etc

Pre-Game

- Added "Potential Hero Selection" functionality
* At the hero selection screen, you can right-click on any hero to make it your "Potential Hero"
* Spectators and anyone on your team can see your potential hero (the enemy team can't)
* If you run out of time, you will select that hero rather than randoming
- Prevent the "5... 4... 3... 2... 1... Let's get it on" countdown from happening after the hero selection screen
- Loading bar now courses with energy
- The game lobby will no longer display the message "PlayerName has connected." once for their initial connection, and again when they have finished loading
* It will now say "PlayerName is connecting." and "PlayerName has connected." to distinguish the different events
- Set the max channel chat message (250), max game chat message (150), chat channel topic (140), and channel name length (30).
- Channel messages will only play sounds when receiving a message in the current channel that has focus
* This fixes all the sounds that used to play when a user was in multiple channels at the same time
- The channel name + topic area of the channel is now truncated off properly and no longer wraps off the panel onto the rest of the UI for long channel topics
- Added a hovertip to the channel name + topic so if the topic is 95+ chars, if you hover over it it displays the full topic, similar to how long game names work in the Public Game interface
- The game lobby will now play the epic lobby.mp3 music
- Moved the voip mute button/icon things to the small colored circle to the side of the player slot (which normally is only used for the right-click menu) in all game phases
* The normal right-click menu (which is only available pre-hero-picker) now occupies the same spot used to show the player's avatar/left-click to join button)

General

- Fixed a bunch of random crashes caused from clicking the "Disconnect" button
* Before, clicking the button had a small random chance to corrupt a random place in memory that caused you to crash at a random time doing something random
- Updated the wording of some of the tooltips to be a bit more clear
- When viewing a player's stats, "Public Statistics" is now selected by default (previously "Ranked Statistics")
- Prevent a buddylist bug when the user loses connection to the chat server, then reconnects to the chat server
- Russian stringtables updated
- Fixed lock camera on player not turning off after a replay
- Profanity filter is now optional
- Follow fix: If two players are following each other and one of them joins a game, the other one will now join that game instead of both of them disconnecting
- Fixed a spelling error in the matchmaking interface
- Fixed crash when CLIPBOARD selection is unowned and an attempt is made to paste
- Fixed an issue that disconnected a user if they typed a player's name into the IM window
- Fix to the close button of the MOTD so you can click it easier
- Fixed mousewheel events not having the correct coordinates in windowed mode
- Re-organized the options menu slightly

Taunt
- Cast time removed

Items

Courier
- Will now be attacked by Towers and the Well

Geometer's Bane
- Grants 0.1sec invulnerability on activation

Hellflower
- Damage increased from 40 to 45

Plated Greaves
- Will no longer apply it's buff to Wildsoul's bear

Puzzlebox
- Recipe increased from 1100 to 1250

Shrunken Head
- Added to the tooltip that it cannot be dispelled

Steamstaff
- Price lowered to 800 from 900

Stormspirit
- No longer silences or perplexes, just stuns
* This allows you to queue up orders while under it's effects

Heroes

- Maliken, Warbeast, and Wildsoul transformations will no longer act stupid when Dark Lady Ults
- Valkyrie Arrow, Devourer Hook, and Voodoo Casks will no longer hit couriers

- Added new Legion Strength hero, Tundra
* Based on Rexxar the Beastmaster from DotA

Accursed
- Fire Shield dispels stuns once again
- Flame Consumption will no longer automatically activate below 400hp. Must be cast manually.
* This means that silences/stuns/etc will prevent Accursed from triggering his ult
- Staff of the Master now lets Accursed use Flame Consumption while silenced

Arachna
- Spiderling will no longer stand there like a dummy if a hero blinked while the projectile was midair

Behemoth
- Initial 200/275/350 Magic damage on the ult is now Superior Magic, meaning it will go through magic immunity

Bubbles
- Shell Surf vision increased from 600 to 800 units and now keeps granting vision if it goes the max distance for 3.34 seconds.
- Fixed a bug with Shell Toss that was resetting the cooldown incorrectly
- Song of the Sea now hits units in fog and invisible units
- Take Cover no longer perplexes
- Kelp Field will no longer deal damage or stun magic immune heroes

Chipper
- Attack time increased from 350ms to 450ms

Corrupted Disciple
- Electric Tide now is now correctly displayed when originating from a position within fog

Deadwood
- Base strength increased from 23 to 25
- Base Armor increased from 2.24 to 2.74
- Creeps will no longer dispel the tree

Engineer
- Fixed the Turret's attacks eating Nullstone
- Tinker cooldown increased from 15 to 20
- Tinker manacost increased from 25 to 50

Forsaken Archer
- Skeletons will no longer trigger neutrals to use their abilities

Gauntlet
- Ability 1 now has an instant cast time
- Cast range on second abiity increased from 625/800/975/1150 to 725/850/975/1150

Hammerstorm
- Mighty Swing can now be toggled on and off

Hellbringer
- Base armor lowered from 2.4 to 1.4
- Life Void cooldown increased from 7 seconds to 10 seconds

Magmus
- Volcanic Touch now correctly deals damage to Mechanical units

Maliken
- Fixed tooltips
- Possession manacost lowered from 150 to 100

Nymphora
- Number of people taken with her Teleport increased from 0,1,2 to 1,2,3 additional targets per level

Pandamonium
- Slow from missing a Cannonball lowered from 4s to 2s

Pollywog Priest
- Max distance of Jolt lowered by 200

Pyromancer
- Phoenix Wave can now target both units and the ground

Sand Wraith
- Using Manifest no longer kills all active illusions

Soul Reaper
- Added to the ult tooltip to correctly state the cooldown changes to 70s at all levels with it

Soulstealer
- Fixed the "being knocked down" while using an item bug

Succubus
- Fixed a bug causing sleep to sometimes be removed instantly by a creep
- Succubus' Hold cooldown lowered from 120s at all levels to 120/110/100

Swiftblade
- Base movespeed increased from 300 to 305
- Returned attack no longer triggers responses like Corrupted Disciple's Static Discharge

Valkyrie
- Javelin will now leave lingering vision if it hits nothing
- Tweaked Prism to correctly hit invulnerable allied heroes

Wildsoul
- Damage when the bear dies now properly goes through immunities
- Updated his tooltip to reflect that he takes damage when his bear dies
- Beardulon abilities reworked very slightly
* Gains Return at level 1
* Gains Entangling Claws at level 2
* Gains Demolish at level 3
* Gains Magic Resist at level 4
- Wild cast time removed, letting him cast it on the run
- Base movespeed while in Bear form increased from 270 to 285

Wretched Hag
- Bat Blast can now target both units and the ground

Zephyr
- Cyclone damage halved against non-hero units

Nome

Huge patch indeed.
The other shocker here is with Accursed. No longer is Accursed nearly invincible in fights, despite being a completely selfless support hero.

Long-needed change, can't wait to see the lineup shakeups :lol

Jungle Zeph got nerfed. Accursed is now easier to kill if you can stun-lock him.

They just keep tinkering (pun intended) with Engineer, don't they? And I believe Deadwood got some armor back after nerfing it previously.

Kapura

Banned
PillowKnight said:
Great changes, the game is much closer to being balanced now. I'm glad zephyr/accursed are no longer insta bans.
I'm also happy about how they've pretty much specifically addressed ban-worthy heroes. Looking forward to the post-patch competitive matches.

JRPereira

When the patch gets out of the test servers I'd like to get your input on the health bar changes - we had some internal discussion but still could use some additional impressions. Some of the staff were concerned about whether they were visually distinct or negatively affected last hitting/made it harder to tell where everything was at health-wise.

Also, is the coursing energy effect on the main health and mana bars (bottom-center and top-left) too subtle? It should be nice and obvious on the main load bar.

JRPereira said:
When the patch gets out of the test servers I'd like to get your input on the health bar changes - we had some internal discussion but still could use some additional impressions. Some of the staff were concerned about whether they were visually distinct or negatively affected last hitting/made it harder to tell where everything was at health-wise.

Also, is the coursing energy effect on the main health and mana bars (bottom-center and top-left) too subtle? It should be nice and obvious on the main load bar.
This kind of dev->player interaction is just lovely if you ask me. Kudos to you for posting here, JR.

PillowKnight said:
Great changes, the game is much closer to being balanced now. I'm glad zephyr/accursed are no longer insta bans.

I don't play Matchmaking, but my brother wants BD back instead of BP, because everyone ends up banning the same heroes in BP (Tempest/Chronos/Jer etc.)

JoeMartin

Nome where do I report this:

30wryib.jpg

Game went something like: MQ talking big about how she was going to carry -> got owned mid by dw -> dw got a 10m pk -> passively rage quits spamming concede from 15m on -> I refuse to concede at 15m just because MQ isn't OWN ZONING as hard as he thinks he should.

Top Bottom