• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of Newerth |OT| Free-To-Play [PC /Mac /Linux]

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Kapura said:
I dunno how much of HonGAF follows the competitive scene, but round one of the Honcast Invitational was today. The number one seed, MSI, completely stomped in the faces of the number eight seed, clan Milk. However, now I'm watching the second seed, Loaded, versus the seventh, Empire, and it's some of the most exciting HoN I've seen in a good long while.

It looks like you can find both of those series on Honcast.com. Highly recommend watching, at the very lest, the LOAD v Empr series.

The LOAD/Empr match with KOTF was fucking amazing.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Nome, since you're working on tooltips now I have a request: Please, please give us an option to trim down tooltips to just the basics. Removing the grey text at the bottom of skills, and the flavour text up top.

Kapura

Banned
Lyphen said:
Nome, since you're working on tooltips now I have a request: Please, please give us an option to trim down tooltips to just the basics. Removing the grey text at the bottom of skills, and the flavour text up top.
+1. Another good idea I think I saw a UI mod for was terms that said what the skill did, like "Stun" "Slow" "Nuke" etc. Sometimes half of the difficulty of learning a new hero was figuring out wtf the skill did. Dsham's healing wave was especially confusing to me.

Kinda want to play devo now:
w1pjxf.gif

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Any of you guys that play should friend me, I'm procarbine there too.

My kdr is trash, but I played support primarily in dota, and playing support in hon gets you kicked from lobbies for having a low kd >.< Gotta start carrying I guess...

Epic Valkyrie Javelin save

Has anyone encountered this glitch? The other team all built Whispering Helms and Restoration Stones (to double-Helm) and blocked the lanes with their controlled units. At about 40 minutes the server lagged like crazy and then the spawning creeps just gathered. They let the neutrals go and then we were swarmed with a ton of creeps and units.

Lone_Prodigy said:
Epic Valkyrie Javelin save

Has anyone encountered this glitch? The other team all built Whispering Helms and Restoration Stones (to double-Helm) and blocked the lanes with their controlled units. At about 40 minutes the server lagged like crazy and then the spawning creeps just gathered. They let the neutrals go and then we were swarmed with a ton of creeps and units.
If you let the entire team farm restoration stones then not notice that creeps aren't spawning you deserve to lose to this.

Kapura

Banned
Lol, that's a pretty old and relatively easy-to-counter strat. Most people aren't aware of it, however, do they don't really know when it's happening to them. I actually have a replay saved where an Ophelia and her team were blocking the lanes. When they were unleashed, they swarmed crazy hard. There was a panda on the other team; the creeps were just melting under him. They still lost, though.

On another note, Nigma of the Honcast.com staff made a pretty sweet HoN video. It's edited very, very well and it has some very nice clips in it.

Just Like You Imagined

Kapura

Banned
valenti said:
WHY??? WHY THE FREAKING BALLSACKS ARE THEY NOT BRINGING LANAYA HOLY CRAP
Probably techies syndrome. Nome said mines suck, explicitly and repeatedly. I'm guessing the same can be said of traps.

Kapura said:
Lol, that's a pretty old and relatively easy-to-counter strat. Most people aren't aware of it, however, do they don't really know when it's happening to them. I actually have a replay saved where an Ophelia and her team were blocking the lanes. When they were unleashed, they swarmed crazy hard. There was a panda on the other team; the creeps were just melting under him. They still lost, though.

See, I first thought they were bad because we were doing pretty well (I got a good kill streak going) and their item builds were puzzling. The Andromeda got a Restoration Stone and so I went "you know Staff reduces ult cooldown to 10s" and he replied "so I can double-stun". Again, we were winning so I thought they were noobish. Plus the Ophelia was randomed so it didn't cross my mind.

Also, it was EM. Our carries (Valk and MB) were terrible and our best players (me as Voodoo and Balphagore) aren't exactly carries. Plus we never got a sustained push to rax them so we never saw the lanes being blocked. And we never ganked their jungle. I bought wards but they were to counter the SS with Shroud.

So, to sum up, it was a pub game. Only way they could've pulled it off. :D

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Can someone explain why Techies is so hated? I never played DotA, but I did watch a replay with him and it looks like his suicide ability is grief central.

blitz64

Archie said:
Can someone explain why Techies is so hated? I never played DotA, but I did watch a replay with him and it looks like his suicide ability is grief central.

Techies can put lots of invisible mines anywhere and kill you instantly. For example, put alot of mines next to the secret shop. Anyone who goes there to buy anything dies right away.

The suicide ability sucks too since you want to kill him, he just suicides.

kagete

Kapura said:
Probably techies syndrome. Nome said mines suck, explicitly and repeatedly. I'm guessing the same can be said of traps.

Err, quick slowtrap placement and triggering at the right moments makes you feel like a boss with Lanaya. I think she's a balanced hero with enough weaknesses to balance her strengths. Hearing Furion and SS getting eventually ported makes me giddy. Looks like pushing and map control will get extra notice in the metagame now

Never played DOTA but Techies sounds pretty gay. If released I can see a bunch of noobs picking him and placing random mines everywhere without contributing to the team(Scout syndrome).

Wish more GAF people played this. It's a really good game.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I don't play much because I don't have a group of people to play with and I generally hate pubs. I still keep up with the competitive scene alot, though.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I don't get why port furion, we already have our queen of the global TP.

Kapura

Banned
Nome has said in no uncertain terms that they aren't ever porting techies because he ruins the game in several ways.

Insured

I think the biggest issue with techies is, he's only fun for the person playing him (them, whatever, they're a he now). Everyone hates facing him, whether they know how to deal with him or not.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I reported my first player today because he was verbally abusive towards my teammates and called our CD a 'nigger' because he grabbed a rune. He was also talking shit about how awful I was (no clue why I was singled out) and I had a better KD ratio than him at the end of the game. :lol (I was Plague Rider and he was Maliken)

Dina

Very good patch, with some minor stuff.

+ Devourer buff
+ Bubbles buff
+ Fayde nerf
+ Madman nerf
+ Gladiator buff
+ Pingall command

+- Nymphora's stun seems a bit too good, but will have to see
+- Slight Rampage nerf

- Gauntlet nerf
- Still no country flags
- Vindi aura nerf

SS is a teapot when you have your gfx settings lower then high, btw. Bug that will be fixed.

DaBuddaDa

spermatic cord said:
Never played DOTA but Techies sounds pretty gay. If released I can see a bunch of noobs picking him and placing random mines everywhere without contributing to the team(Scout syndrome).
99% of techies players are exactly as you describe, however, I have seen a token few that have dominated as techies. I have no clue how they do it but it is possible to play techies well and contribute to the team.

kagete

Playing SC2 online really makes me miss HON and its really nice online chatroom/clan/friendslist/matchmaking integration. Battle.net sucks balls in comparison. I've seen 2 DOTA wannabes in custom games in bnet already... Hopefully S2 gets motivated to step up their game and establish a solid fanbase before the next DOTA hits on bnet.

spootime

Just the fact that heroes stops leavers from ruining games is enough to make me never want to play wc3/sc2 dota again.

Quick question, I have been playing a lot of LoL lately and have gotten at least a good grasp on how these type of games work. But I am starting to get a little perturbed at how many times I get matched with people that don't have any idea what their doing. I was just wondering if the HoN community in general has a) Enough casual players that I could come in and not be crushed right off the bat and b) If the average HoN player knows more than the average LoL player. I already have heard so much about the HoN community being a little tougher to get along with, but if I am at least a competent player I shouldn't get yelled at too much right?

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
If you're competent at LoL you will get off to a decent start in HoN, but the game is more demanding (due to denying, higher emphasis on map control and no free teleports home, etc). There is a tutorial in HoN, but it isn't anything special. Your first few games are going to be painful and you are guaranteed to be bitched at. You'll get yelled at even if you are competent because players quickly shift blame away from themselves. Just learn to ignore the idiots and try to improve your game.

Some quick pointers I'd give for HoN:

-Watch competetive games. Go to www.honcast.com and see what the pros do and pick up a few pointers from them.
-Learn to play support if you want to win in pubs. Most pubbies want to play Pr0 Sc0uT and typically pick carries. Be sure to buy a courier (and share it!) and wards and try to keep wards up when possible. Knowing where your opponents are is far more valuable than any single item in the game.
-Try to keep a homecoming stone in your inventory at all times. It is cheaper to spend 135 gold porting back home to avoid a potential gank instead of dying and losing time and gold.

For the love of god start off in no stats first. Learn all the heroes and read all the guides. Shouldn't be too hard to pick up since you're familiar with LoL. I heard that game is ridiculously easy so be prepared for a challenge in HoN. Do not play easy mode.

This game is very chaotic during big team fights. I've played a lot of games and sometimes I still find myself not knowing what the hell is happening when everyone is unleashing their AOE's.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I really hate the phrase 'Easy Mode'. It is so deceiving and instills bad habits on legit noobs. S2 should really change the name.

I have been watching a shit load of Honcast's they are amazingly entertaining and the commentators are top notch. It at least clued me in to some of the differences between the two games like denying. I think I will pick up HoN once I get the cash, thanks for the tips.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone experience the dreaded "No response from server" error?

Ever since my PC shutdown mid-game due to a power cut, it's been impossible for me to join any game. The server browser also acts strange, listing a handful of games instead of the dozens before.

I'm going to do a clean reinstall when I have the time, but I've read the issue stems from firewall/router/ISP issues. Anyone have any experience with crashing and this error?

Kapura

Banned
spindoc said:
Anyone experience the dreaded "No response from server" error?

Ever since my PC shutdown mid-game due to a power cut, it's been impossible for me to join any game. The server browser also acts strange, listing a handful of games instead of the dozens before.

I'm going to do a clean reinstall when I have the time, but I've read the issue stems from firewall/router/ISP issues. Anyone have any experience with crashing and this error?
When did the trouble start? If it's just today, then it's probably the backend problem they are working on.

darkressurection said:
Quick question, I have been playing a lot of LoL lately and have gotten at least a good grasp on how these type of games work. But I am starting to get a little perturbed at how many times I get matched with people that don't have any idea what their doing. I was just wondering if the HoN community in general has a) Enough casual players that I could come in and not be crushed right off the bat and b) If the average HoN player knows more than the average LoL player. I already have heard so much about the HoN community being a little tougher to get along with, but if I am at least a competent player I shouldn't get yelled at too much right?
"A little bit" is a major understatement. I've seen pro players get bitched at by random noobs. Expect every other game to have a player whose job is to piss you off and crush your soul(it has gotten a bit better lately, though.)

A few tips to help you weather it:
1) Play no stat games to start with.
2) Use /ignore and mute function as often as possible. If you play public games start using banlist so you know the people who should avoid.
To use these commands :
Type /ignore "player name", /banlist add "reason for banlisting." Muting is part of the UI.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Kapura said:
When did the trouble start? If it's just today, then it's probably the backend problem they are working on.

Started 2 days ago. Could you link to more info about this "backend problem" ?

Kapura

Banned
I was referring to the lag issues; they seem to be causing a host of issues with starting games, let alone playing them to completion. However, if your problem started earlier, a wipe might be the best solution. I was getting some sass back from HoN a few weeks back and a total removal and reinstall did wonders.

Doctor Repulsor is pretty fun to play. Blink>autoattack>magnet>autoattack>mine>autoattack
Kills most squishies and if they're still alive keep blinking and autoattacking.

Top Bottom