• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of Newerth |OT| Free-To-Play [PC /Mac /Linux]

Meeru

Banned
I'm not sure why, but sd games there is alot more horrible players..ap is much much better.avoid bd or bp unless you have a group of goodplayers with you

Meeru

Banned
I don't get it..when are you guys online? I never see you guys on :p are ya in the gaf clan?

Edit: ahh oops dbl post..

Swag

valenti said:
I don't get it..when are you guys online? I never see you guys on :p are ya in the gaf clan?

I'm on quite a bit, always in the GAF channel.

btw when did they add the Inception like music during games

Archie said:
Played a game where Magmus decided that farming 45 minutes for a Restoration Stone was a pro move. We actually destroyed the other side when I was barking orders to push lanes (mostly because I was so pissed off).

I love this game, but I hate the people playing it.
Was playing a game where this Polly instead of sticking with us so he didn't get ganked, he would farm creep waves(he was going CARRY POLLY EVERYONE!). Of course the other team would gank him. Then I tell him to to stick with the team. He asks why. I tell him so he doesn't get ganked. He says STFU, where were you when I got ganked.
mMu5m.jpg

Also, our Chronos didn't know how to farm and would leap and bubble at the most random times. Our witch slayer was going codex. He has nothing but codex and steamboots.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Take this with a GIGANTIC grain of salt, but apparently S2 and Valve are in some kind of legal battle over DotA. It could all be bullshit, but it makes interesting talk:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...+pastebin.org/680680&cd=1&hl=de&ct=clnk&gl=ch

http://pastebin.com/uH2fFRC3

tl;dr: They can't port Tundra/Beastmaster's 3rd ability because it was changed after DotA 6.60 and S2 is in a legal agreement.

Valve can't use any material that S2 has already used in their DotA clone.

Icefrog worked with S2 until 2009.

S2 isn't porting any more heroes for awhile due to working around a 'minefield'.

Once again, it could all be totally 100% bullshit, but some things do make sense (ie Tundra's aura). HoN drama is sometimes more exciting than the game itself!

JoeMartin

Well there goes my fucking Furion port.

EDIT: I can't believe that Valve really has any legal claim to anything from DotA at this point. How is that even possible? Seems like Valve is doing a lot of hurfing over nothing they actually have legal claim to and S2 are being good sports about it out of respect for Icefrog's work and not wanting to do anything that might harm his new career.

Archie said:
Take this with a GIGANTIC grain of salt, but apparently S2 and Valve are in some kind of legal battle over DotA. It could all be bullshit, but it makes interesting talk:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...+pastebin.org/680680&cd=1&hl=de&ct=clnk&gl=ch

http://pastebin.com/uH2fFRC3

tl;dr: They can't port Tundra/Beastmaster's 3rd ability because it was changed after DotA 6.60 and S2 is in a legal agreement.

Valve can't use any material that S2 has already used in their DotA clone.

Icefrog worked with S2 until 2009.

S2 isn't porting any more heroes for awhile due to working around a 'minefield'.

Once again, it could all be totally 100% bullshit, but some things do make sense (ie Tundra's aura). HoN drama is sometimes more exciting than the game itself!

This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. S2 should just say fuck you to everyone and go on making their game. DOTA was a stupid free mod for WC3 ffs.

In other news, I had an amazing game where 2 of our players left. I was Wretched Hag and I ended up carrying my team. Ended up like 23-3 and had a doombringer at the end:lol. This was against 4 locks too!

Edit: What are your guys' favorite heroes to play? Mine are:
1.Valkyrie
2.Chipper
3.Doctor Repulsor
4.Deadwood
5. Wretched Hag

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Yeah I feel bad even posting that now. It reeks of conspiracy theory bullshit.

I really don't have a favorite hero since I always play support because nobody else will. Electrician and Pestilence are probably the most fun I've have playing heroes, though.

Swag

1. Pestilence
2. Pebble
3. Behemoth

Any hero that can take advantage of Portal Key really.

Btw S2 should just give a big Fuck You to everyone and continue making their game.

mrbagdt

lately i have been playing hellbringer a lot... you can cast the ult from so far away and the other spells are all pretty useful. i try to stick with support stuff because i dont feel confident enough to start playing as a hard carry or anything like that. ive gotten pretty good at harrasment and the like, and getting good at last hitting and denying.

i watch honcast a few times a week and it has helped my game out a lot as well. it has taught me taht there are certain items to just avoid taht i used to think were the norm for guys. i would get whispering helm all the time on heroes because i wanted the lifesteal 'so i could stay in the lane longer and not have to go back and heal'. now i kinda realize that if you are getting beat on or hit much in your lane, you are doing something wrong and getting the lifesteal from whispering helm doesnt do anything but sort of hide that issue from you. the best items to get are ones that actually make a difference in team fights and will accomplish something- shrunken head, sheepstick, puzzlebox, geometers... now i focus on getting those types of items as fast as i can so that i can actually contribute to the team instead of focusing on just making my hero have more regen so i can stay in lanes longer. whispering helm does very little to help you in a team battle, and that was something i didnt realize at first.

anyway, i absolutely love playing this game and i love the competitive nature of it. i have basically pubbed myself up into the 1550-1575 range and im floating around there. i read on one of the hon forums that if you are halfway decent, you should be able to pub yourself up to 1650-1700. that is kind of my goal. maybe at some point i will leave the gaf plan and join a bigger clan that does more competitive games so i can try out that aspect of things, but i am pretty happy doing what im doing now. at least ive gotten out of the 1400-1500 range and dont have those rage games like i used to.

The faster countdown still messes me up sometimes. I'd be looking at everyone's heroes, discussing swaps, and then "ZOMG FIVE SECONDS AND WE DON'T HAVE STR AAAAAAAHHH". Happened in an SD game where I had Andro pre-selected then switched to Tundra when I saw we had no Str. The HB also swapped to Rampage, but then we both saw someone switch to Keeper. The HB switched back but I didn't. Thankfully two players DC'ed and we remade since I'm terrible with Tundra. :lol

valenti said:
I'm not sure why, but sd games there is alot more horrible players..ap is much much better.avoid bd or bp unless you have a group of goodplayers with you

Maybe because people are less familiar with their SD heroes, or if you're good with support heroes and get 3 carries, etc. I prefer AP because I usually random for the extra gold, but then you get a lot of the same heroes.

Also, great game yesterday, even though I was underleveled as Shaman. Not really experienced with him but he was my only support option.

http://replays.heroesofnewerth.com/match_replay.php?mid=11456110

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I just had the nicest game ever. We lost, but everyone was respectful to each other and there was zero flaming.

I had to open my task manager to make sure HoN.exe was running.

Swag

Archie said:
I just had the nicest game ever. We lost, but everyone was respectful to each other and there was zero flaming.

I had to open my task manager to make sure HoN.exe was running.

I've found that sometimes the flaming helps, makes people get their act together.

Kapura

Banned
Sebulon3k said:
I've found that sometimes the flaming helps, makes people get their act together.
Nothing gets a team to work better than asking if they had one or both testicles removed just prior to opening the game.

mrbagdt said:
lately i have been playing hellbringer a lot... you can cast the ult from so far away and the other spells are all pretty useful. i try to stick with support stuff because i dont feel confident enough to start playing as a hard carry or anything like that. ive gotten pretty good at harrasment and the like, and getting good at last hitting and denying.

i watch honcast a few times a week and it has helped my game out a lot as well. it has taught me taht there are certain items to just avoid taht i used to think were the norm for guys. i would get whispering helm all the time on heroes because i wanted the lifesteal 'so i could stay in the lane longer and not have to go back and heal'. now i kinda realize that if you are getting beat on or hit much in your lane, you are doing something wrong and getting the lifesteal from whispering helm doesnt do anything but sort of hide that issue from you. the best items to get are ones that actually make a difference in team fights and will accomplish something- shrunken head, sheepstick, puzzlebox, geometers... now i focus on getting those types of items as fast as i can so that i can actually contribute to the team instead of focusing on just making my hero have more regen so i can stay in lanes longer. whispering helm does very little to help you in a team battle, and that was something i didnt realize at first.

anyway, i absolutely love playing this game and i love the competitive nature of it. i have basically pubbed myself up into the 1550-1575 range and im floating around there. i read on one of the hon forums that if you are halfway decent, you should be able to pub yourself up to 1650-1700. that is kind of my goal. maybe at some point i will leave the gaf plan and join a bigger clan that does more competitive games so i can try out that aspect of things, but i am pretty happy doing what im doing now. at least ive gotten out of the 1400-1500 range and dont have those rage games like i used to.
Regarding the whispering helm it's actually for more practical reasons. For the 2k gold it costs you could buy a bunch of potions to do the same thing, or a bottle at 600 and still save a bunch of gold. Whispering helm is worthless on slow attacking support heroes even for health reasons.

Oh and don't listen to the assholes who say you need to hit 1650+ to be decent, they're working on the "you're either shit or pro" scale of hon player skill.

Regarding flaming, i've never seen it help, it destroys games 99% of the time by making people act childish.

Swag

Kapura said:
Nothing gets a team to work better than asking if they had one or both testicles removed just prior to opening the game.

Makes me want to prove the person wrong, and I focus more.

*shrug*

Flaming doesn't really work. It just gets them mad™. Chances are if you're raging at them for autoattacking a creepwave or buying codex as scout, they won't understand the reasons that whatever they're doing is retarded and isin't helping anyone but the other team.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Just had a Lego carry our team (and give me my first win since Saturday). Lego + Portal Key is a great initiation tool (although there are arguably better re: Magmus, Tempest, Behemoth etc).

Swag

Archie said:
Just had a Lego carry our team (and give me my first win since Saturday). Lego + Portal Key is a great initiation tool (although there are arguably better re: Magmus, Tempest, Behemoth etc).

Pebbles is the best initiation

Obvious Bias.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Nome and some other S2 guy had an interview at some website I've never heard of.

tl;dr:

No more ports for awhile.
Team matchmaking is still coming.
There is going to be a 'bundle' of changes in the team MM patch, some of which will hopefully garner more interest in the competitive community.
Regular matchmaking will get an overhaul.
Nome is the 2nd best HoN player at S2 (lol)
New maps are tied to matchmaking
Darkwood Vale is going to be replaced with a 'smaller 3v3 map'
S2 is trying to shift the metagame towards being more 'action' oriented and are discussing changes with the competitive community.
The community INT hero contest is still in the works and a new community hero is in the works.
Nome has a tentacle fetish.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Basically Nome said that they don't want jungle farming for 45 minutes to get godlike carries to be the best strategy, yet at the same time they want it to still be viable. They obviously want an action emphasis because it makes the game more exciting as a spectator sport which means more people will watch which means more money for S2.

God I hate Behemoth. Terribly slow attack animation and casting speed (IMO) and he needs a Portal Key to have any effectiveness (and probably a Ring too, but I can't farm that). His ult is great for defending towers but useless out of a lane. Plus he lacks the farming/jungling capabilities of Magmus/Tempest/Lego.

I just suck with him.

Kapura

Banned
Behe only has a really slow animation for his second skill (god it takes like 1.5 seconds) the other two actives are fairly quick. His attack is slow as hell but he's not a right-click hero anyway. He's really, really good with the blood chalice and striders as they are right now; I find a bottle and mana ring are both unnecessary. Pkey is sweet, but you can still pull off sick blocks with Fissure without it.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Just played a game where my Glacius teammate bought a Helm of the Black Legion instead of wards.

But I went 7/4 with Maliken and we won in a 35 minute stomp so I won't complain.

phinious

I have been playing Sotis in SC2. It is my first DOTA type game. Is HoN accessible for newbies? Id kinda like to get in on it, but dont wanna get ridiculed for weeks till I get good.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
phinious said:
I have been playing Sotis in SC2. It is my first DOTA type game. Is HoN accessible for newbies? Id kinda like to get in on it, but dont wanna get ridiculed for weeks till I get good.

Nope. Least newbie friendly game ever. Go play League of Legends or Sotis some more until you get accustomed to the concept of DotA, and even then prepare to grow some thick skin and shrug off idiots. If you do decide to get into HoN, be sure to read strategy guides on their forums.

HoN is the best at what it does, but it is incredibly unintuitive and has the worst online community ever.

Meeru

Banned
My name is valenti. im onlien right now but in a game atm, prolly cant play afterwards for bout 2 hrs or so?

mrbagdt

phinious said:
i think if you play no stats games or noob games, you can still learn in HON and pick up things slowly. watching replays of good players has helped me too.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
People got their feelings hurt so now we get to endure stomps where one person is being a stubborn asshole and refuses to concede.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Just played a game where I had to buy wards as Maliken because our Hellbringer was rushing a lvl 5 Codex. Good times.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Powerslave. 1464 PSR yeah boiiiii

I'll be on later this afternoon if you wanna try to play together.

Archie said:
People got their feelings hurt so now we get to endure stomps where one person is being a stubborn asshole and refuses to concede.

They should modify it so if the same result happens X times in a row (4/5 vote to concede, 1 doesn't), the vote happens anyway. I ended up with a leave because one douche wouldn't concede and I had to go (we were also being stomped).

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Just played the best game ever. The other team had an Armadon who had about 10 kills in 20 minutes and we had all our secondary towers down in ~30 minutes. It looked like we were going to get stomped, but our Engineer stepped up and played an incredible leader role and we eventually came back and won the game. A complete 180 from my raging like an angry manchild a few days ago.

Swag

I get above 1700, then I play with people that don't know what they're doing and I'm back at 1600.

FUCK, I need to start stacking with friends it seems.

Top Bottom