• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm Open Beta Thread of Sneakiness and Evil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenki

Right before closed beta (announced to be Jan 13) they will have a "Heroes 7" patch that will include Jaina. Then January 13th will include ranked play, Thrall, and Sky Temple.

Welp, early Jan for Jaina and Jan 13th for Thrall. Sylvanas when? We need the true queen to be in the game ;_;

I thought the heroes and stages would be much, much earlier. So are we approaching two more months without new additions?

Alur

Watching the Blizzcon stream of the Low Expectations VS Rocketjump match...Thrall looking pretty strong offensively.

That feral spirit + Windfury combo is pretty nice. Didn't quite catch what the ults were though.

Welp, early Jan for Jaina and Jan 13th for Thrall. Sylvanas when? We need the true queen to be in the game ;_;

I thought the heroes and stages would be much, much earlier. So are we approaching two more months without new additions?

My birthday is January 13th. I sincerely hope to be playing the game by then.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I don't really expect this map to last long term or anything, but Garden is really a nightmare from a spectator's perspective.
HTpGTSS.jpg

Alur

I don't really expect this map to last long term or anything, but Garden is really a nightmare from a spectator's perspective.

It was pretty difficult to follow, but I find it one of the most enjoyable in actual gameplay.

The Sky Temple looked amazing in a previous game, but I'm partial just because it is more colorful than most of the maps we have. Did they show the Tomb of the Spider Queen in action yet?

TheYanger

What was hard to follow about it? I mean a screenshot of a stream when all of the seeds are out is not exactly representative of moment to moment gameplay. That match was excellent.

dimb

What was hard to follow about it? I mean a screenshot of a stream when all of the seeds are out is not exactly representative of moment to moment gameplay. That match was excellent.
I think Heroes of the Storm already has problems when it comes to being as visually cohesive as its contemporaries. Dota 2 made a big deal about colors having to be distinct but not wild in order to provide adequate visual clarity, and League has been going down a long road to clean up graphic noise.

Right now HotS isn't reallly adhering to the same standard. It's not really the seeds in that shot that hurt readability (although they certainly don't help), but Blizzard's lighting engine has a dramatic impact on what colors show up, and with everything highlighted and illuminated in this awkward manner I think it becomes really difficult to really track individuals, or bring attention to them when something important is happening.

This is the first time I've really watched HotS (I mostly play Dota) and for that entire game I could not understand a single fucking thing that was going on. That map is an absolute nightmare to watch and the second game was over very quickly.

kirblar

Garden/Cursed Hollow repeatedly showing up is probably good for their short-term longevity. Hope we get a Booty Bay in soon.

kirblar

Resurgence is just really broken right now. It's just so much better than every other level 20 ability. Needs to be a one-shot ability or something- or possibly limit it to 1-2 people per team being able to pick it, in addition to timer changes.

dimb

Resurgence is just really broken right now. It's just so much better than every other level 20 ability. Needs to be a one-shot ability or something- or possibly limit it to 1-2 people per team being able to pick it, in addition to timer changes.
When I read the tool tip on it the first time I was just confused as to how Resurgance was even real.

kirblar

When I read the tool tip on it the first time I was just confused as to how Resurgance was even real.
Liquid just throwing all 4 tanks in a suicide run to the other side because they'd rez in 5 seconds highlighted just how screwed up it is. If it was a "1 per team" ability it'd be much more interesting and tactical.

dimb

Liquid just throwing all 4 tanks in a suicide run to the other side because they'd rez in 5 seconds highlighted just how screwed up it is. If it was a "1 per team" ability it'd be much more interesting and tactical.
I don't think you can limit it to be one per team because of communication issues. With shared levels the option is open to everyone at the same time. It's hard to say this sometimes but they should probably just take it out of the game. I can't really see it supporting play that's very healthy under any scenario. At the very least an on the spot res would at least create some penalty to dying in enemy controlled territory.

Haven't kept up much with Heroes, and haven't played the Alpha consistently since whenever it was they put Brightwing in (April?).

They gave Kerrigan the nerf bat I guess (or I'm sure she'd be in every game) and apparently replaced Time Warp (way to ignore the actual problem with Tassadar, Blizzard) but I can't say I'm surprised seeing the same pool of 12 heroes in every match. Uck.

Some of the heroes that were strong early in the Alpha got the nerf bat and haven't recovered. Tyrande comes to mind.

I hope Blizzard's balancing efforts prove better than this going forward, it's sort of disappointing.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Everything from Blizzcon has made me so hyped for closed beta, Thrall + his skin day one.

Alur

Well...

This is the first time I've really watched HotS (I mostly play Dota) and for that entire game I could not understand a single fucking thing that was going on. That map is an absolute nightmare to watch and the second game was over very quickly.

...for example. I love the map. Probably my second favorite to play behind Blackheart's Bay, but the size of it and the sheer amount of things going on in this one map at nightfall are a little different than the others IMO. It didn't help that it felt like they were a step too slow tracking it at times in that particular match.

I've enjoyed all the games that were cast, though. Learned a few things. That one was just a little hectic, though that may have been due to how even it was for a time.

I sincerely hope that they buff the level 20 version of ultimates (or come up with something else interesting) and actually remove or do something else with Resurgence. I play Tyrael and Tassadar mainly since coming back. Both happen to have Resurgence...no real reason to take anything else so far as I can see at this point in time. That's not good.

I actually wandered into four half dead heroes with Tassadar and won not too long ago.

Only hero I've ever done that with.

Truly a Support hero. >_>

Tassadar's support assassin game strong as f

KePoW

Banned
Anyone watched the HOTS tournament games at Blizzcon? It's actually very entertaining and pretty exciting

Since we're talking Tass, I expected cloning him during team fights to be OP, but I guess most of his OPness is through talents. Dual force wall can either be great or a clusterfuck. Usually seems to be better to clone only characters with strong base utility or ultimates that are silly to have two of, like Arthas, Tychus, or Hammer.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
So in the end it was a rather bad evening for ol' Tassadar.

Since we're talking Tass, I expected cloning him during team fights to be OP, but I guess most of his OPness is through talents. Dual force wall can either be great or a clusterfuck. Usually seems to be better to clone only characters with strong base utility or ultimates that are silly to have two of, like Arthas, Tychus, or Hammer.

Somewhere around a third of his overall right click damage output comes from proccing Static Charge, which an Abathur clone can't replicate. There are worse clone targets than Tassadar, but there are also far better ones.

Well, unless the Tassadar you're cloning picked Force Wall over Archon. When a Tassadar picks Force Wall he is insulting you and the rest of your team. Take it personally.

Ketch

Did they say whether or not everyone in the alpha will get rolled into the closed beta?

Did you guys know Idra is playing "professional hots" now? That is hilarious to me.

TheYanger

The problem want tassadar it was them letting cloid nine get tychus abathur and Chen over and over. No bans will make competitive play so boring, eg had no chance in most team fights with those ults and resurgences

kirblar

Watching Day 2 now:

Dustin's saying the feedback from the pros was that they wanted 1, maybe 2 bans, and they seemed receptive to it. (It really just does need to happen - it doesn't just provide more interesting hero variety- it provides development with a buffer for when they overbuff a character.)

Yet again, Tassadar and Arthas/Tychus firstpicks. It's totally not an accident that Arthas/Stitches/Tychus are all up on rotation right now.

If you're in the Alpha, you're in the Beta.

It would also be really, really nice to be able to pre-select talents ahead of time so you don't have to click on one if you level during a fight.

Blackheart's Bay is not being used whatsoever so far. :( This worries me- I actually love that map.

Alur

It would also be really, really nice to be able to pre-select talents ahead of time so you don't have to click on one if you level during a fight.

In regular play this would be great. It is a little annoying, I'll admit.

Blackheart's Bay is not being used whatsoever so far. :( This worries me- I actually love that map.

It's my favorite, so it does worry me. In one of the panels they did mention something about possibly a Blackheart's Bay (pretty sure it was BB) in the future but with snow, or other variations of weather/season so there's that at least.

It sounds like the "Hero Team" thing might let us get a GAF Guild on there.

This would be neat just to keep up with all the gamertags.

Maledict

Nova is the PuG demolished. She's fine against people who know what they are doing, but she minces uncoordinated groups to a level no other player can touch. She's death walking to those sort of teams.

Raxus

Nova is the PuG demolished. She's fine against people who know what they are doing, but she minces uncoordinated groups to a level no other player can touch. She's death walking to those sort of teams.

Yep. Kind of reminds me of Bloodseeker in DotA2. People bitch that the hero is unbalanced when in reality they get crushed if anyone has any idea what they are doing on the opposing team.

Raxus

I really wouldn't mind if they just made Butcher a Stitches skin given the overlap in look/abilities.

I dunno why the Butcher wasn't Stitches in the first place. They have similar abilities and we have enough WoW heroes to choke a horse. It seems they just wanted the Pudge character in the game asap.

Taz

Played about 10 games today, it's quite suprising how well the game works without "items". Balance is a bit all over the place at the moment. Does anyone know if the huge discounts on bundles is only for alpha ?

jersoc

Played about 10 games today, it's quite suprising how well the game works without "items". Balance is a bit all over the place at the moment. Does anyone know if the huge discounts on bundles is only for alpha ?

they seem to rotate bundle about once a month or so. it's been a lot less since the wipe. was almost weekly. quite the bummer they aren't as many good deals anymore.

Taz

they seem to rotate bundle about once a month or so. it's been a lot less since the wipe. was almost weekly. quite the bummer they aren't as many good deals anymore.

I'm guessing what people purchase now stays on there account ? , I was looking at the 7 class 3 skin 2 mount bundle(?) which is 70% off at £20 , it seems real good value.

kirblar

Yeah, there are no planned wipes, but if they do wipe, you'll get your money back, and after the last wipe, they brought every single bundle ever back for a week for people to re-purchase.

TxdoHawk

Yep. Kind of reminds me of Bloodseeker in DotA2. People bitch that the hero is unbalanced when in reality they get crushed if anyone has any idea what they are doing on the opposing team.

So what, ideally, do you want to be doing? Nova is a big problem in the matches I've been in, I keep having issues where she'll decloak and hit me with a shot, drop a clone, and immediately start running. Between the shot she gets off and the clone, I always seem to end up eating a chunk of damage, even if I don't engage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom