• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm Open Beta Thread of Sneakiness and Evil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raxus

Playing with a friend/group is the easiest way to get to 20 fast.

Not only do you get easy wins but it practically doubles your exp per game.

Add me if you guys want to play :)

Raxus #1252

Alur

ok, so apparently I have this game. How much do you have to play to get to level 20 before 18th?

It's curiously difficult to find information on how much XP is required per level up in this game. The best I could do is this forum post that tallies it up to level 10. If we reasonably assume that each level from 10 to 20 will need at least 4.75 million XP...

...Unless I'm missing some source of XP or my mathematics is horribly wrong, you're looking at hundreds of games played to reach level 20.

I'm pretty sure that's from an old build pre-wipe. Level 12 to 13 and 13 to 14 are both only 700k a piece, so that part at least is wrong for certain. I've read in several places that 19-20 is around 1,000,000 EXP.

In reality, leveling to 20 takes about 24 hours of play time. More or less depending on how liberally you ensure you are getting the friend bonus every game...and of course, winning. If you are good/your friends are good/you roll with a premade you could cut it substantially.

Keep in mind it only gives you a chance to get your friends invited, though, and only if they were already your friend before you started.

Added you Raxus.

Zeroth

Playing with a friend/group is the easiest way to get to 20 fast.

Not only do you get easy wins but it practically doubles your exp per game.

Raxus #1252

Added! I would like to play with more gaffers as I just started playing the game and I have no idea how it works against human players :p

TxdoHawk

Played a couple of actual multiplayer matches last night. Looks like a decent chunk of people were invited in, saw lots of folks admitting they were new.

Been mainly playing Lili and focusing on healing traits, effective but rather boring. At least I don't have to run around placing wards.

My favorite part of this game so far is the choices it forces you to make, between map objectives, making sure each lane is being farmed, and grabbing the mercenaries. I never really feel dumbfounded about what to do next, there are usually at least two good options at any given moment.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Finally got in last night. Woo <3

So question - do we know how character wipes will go?

I'm curious because I want to nab the $5 starter pack but the thing is - the game will obviously have wipes between now and the actual release. Will that get refunded to me as the $5 or as gold? If the latter would it be enough gold to buy those champs or... (And if so, how would you get the special mount again? Buy it all over again despite potentially having the heroes?)

Maledict

They have said that there are no more wipes.

The previous wipe refunded everything you had spent into your blizzard account.

valouris

Hm, I found out I can download the client from Battle.net, so I'm downloading now. Am I going to be disappointed when it finishes downloading?

Is there any obvious way to get in apart from waiting to hear from Blizzard directly? Is there any big giveaway?

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?

TheYanger

Hm, I found out I can download the client from Battle.net, so I'm downloading now. Am I going to be disappointed when it finishes downloading?

Is there any obvious way to get in apart from waiting to hear from Blizzard directly? Is there any big giveaway?

If you can downloadit on Bnet then you're in.

KePoW

Banned
So wait... even though this is still alpha, our progress/levels will not be wiped even when official retail release launches??

If so, that's kinda weird and seems unfair to players who only start at retail launch

TheYanger

So wait... even though this is still alpha, our progress/levels will not be wiped even when official retail release launches??

If so, that's kinda weird and seems unfair to players who only start at retail launch

Was the same in Hearthstone, and only purchases are guaranteed not to be wiped again. In fact, most of these kinds of games stop wiping at some point during beta (which might as well be what we're in now).

kirblar

Was the same in Hearthstone, and only purchases are guaranteed not to be wiped again. In fact, most of these kinds of games stop wiping at some point during beta (which might as well be what we're in now).
Yeah, they've said they're essentially testing out server capacity and such in prep to a move to a real (closed) Beta right now.

Zeroth

That is not true unfortunately. Download was completed but the Play button in the battlenet client is faded and unclickable. Mouse over text says I'm not invited. The waiting game it is then!

Weird. Did you reboot the client?

Yesterday, I noticed the icon on my client and I had the option to download it. I downloaded til it was optimal then played a bit, then stopped playing until today when the download was finished (and could still play the game). No alpha email yet, but I can play the game normally, so..

valouris

Weird. Did you reboot the client?

Yesterday, I noticed the icon on my client and I had the option to download it. I downloaded til it was optimal then played a bit, then stopped playing until today when the download was finished (and could still play the game). No alpha email yet, but I can play the game normally, so..

Mine didn't appear, I saw you could download the client from the battlenet website (which eventually opened the battlenet client in the desktop)

If yours randomly appeared you prolly got an invite and didn't realize. Check your spam folder?

Zeroth

Mine didn't appear, I saw you could download the client from the battlenet website (which eventually opened the battlenet client in the desktop)

If yours randomly appeared you prolly got an invite and didn't realize. Check your spam folder?

Nope, absolutely no email, even in my spam folder. Funny enough, I got purchase receipts from Blizzard for the stuff I bought in the game, so it's not like I'm blocking their emails.

KePoW

Banned

Yeah but usually much later in betas.

But to clarify... levels in HotS might still be wiped?

Alur

But to clarify... levels in HotS might still be wiped?

Pretty sure there is one more wipe according to that Facebook promotion.

Pretty sure they said the most recent wipe was the final one.

From all I've seen they intend for this past wipe to be the last one, but hold out the rights to do some kind of wipe prior to beta/launch/whatever.

IMO, another wipe would not be the most terrible thing depending on what was wiped. Account levels, I'd be cool with. Hero levels, I'm not sure...if we still have to go through talent gating on characters we had already leveled/mastered, I'm not a big fan.

I really wish instead of talent gating they'd just say "this is the easiest standard build for "hero X" to become accustomed to his/her playstyle" and unlock only those talents, instead of the random hodgepodge of talents you have to pick from at level 1 on some heroes.

Belgorim

That is not true unfortunately. Download was completed but the Play button in the battlenet client is faded and unclickable. Mouse over text says I'm not invited. The waiting game it is then!

If you can download it and it shows up on battle.net you are in alpha. I could not press the play button either at first, but I could after changing my password. So try that.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Pretty sure they said the most recent wipe was the final one.

From all I've seen they intend for this past wipe to be the last one, but hold out the rights to do some kind of wipe prior to beta/launch/whatever.

IMO, another wipe would not be the most terrible thing depending on what was wiped. Account levels, I'd be cool with. Hero levels, I'm not sure...if we still have to go through talent gating on characters we had already leveled/mastered, I'm not a big fan.

I really wish instead of talent gating they'd just say "this is the easiest standard build for "hero X" to become accustomed to his/her playstyle" and unlock only those talents, instead of the random hodgepodge of talents you have to pick from at level 1 on some heroes.

They said that all your purchases will not be wiped.

They said that progress (as in leveling) may still be wiped.

Hence my comment, as that would just give everyone a bunch of gold again.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
How would we get a bunch of gold? By levelling again you mean?

Anyway if they do a wipe again, they'll warn a couple of days before, no?

They would warn in advance, yes.

But by leveling, you get a couple of gold bundles during your first 10-15 levels, and also 500 gold for each hero you level to level 5.

They're not resetting purchases, so if they reset progression, that means you get all those gold boost opportunities again.

Raxus

Man playing with a group is night and day. 6 games 5 wins and one VERY narrow loss.

As far as getting gold, it has been nerfed significantly from the closed alpha. They really need to boost it since as it stands now even with purchases you wouldn't be able to unlock a hero for ages.

Dailies used to award 250-500 gold (with 500 quests showing up often) and there were rewards for every 5 levels (IIRC). On top of that games used to award 40 gold plus 10 for a win. Now it is 20 gold and 10 if you win.

I am surprised they haven't upped the gold but I guess they wanna keep people working until the open beta happens.

TheYanger

They would warn in advance, yes.

But by leveling, you get a couple of gold bundles during your first 10-15 levels, and also 500 gold for each hero you level to level 5.

They're not resetting purchases, so if they reset progression, that means you get all those gold boost opportunities again.

They're not resetting REAL MONEY purchases again. If they reset progression I would be very shocked if they didn't nuke any heroes you bought with gold, since that would represent a large gap in progression for new players vs old (Larger than them just not resetting in fact).

kirblar

Man playing with a group is night and day. 6 games 5 wins and one VERY narrow loss.

As far as getting gold, it has been nerfed significantly from the closed alpha. They really need to boost it since as it stands now even with purchases you wouldn't be able to unlock a hero for ages.

Dailies used to award 250-500 gold (with 500 quests showing up often) and there were rewards for every 5 levels (IIRC). On top of that games used to award 40 gold plus 10 for a win. Now it is 20 gold and 10 if you win.

I am surprised they haven't upped the gold but I guess they wanna keep people working until the open beta happens.
Yeah, it makes sense to wait to increase gold gains when Open Beta occurs. (Having access to the HS beta gave me enough time to get most of the playable cards early into launch without paying a dime.)

Alur

As someone who has spent more than he should on Heroes to unlock a bundle or two in the past, plus some skins and a mount...I kinda hope they do reset the real purchases again. I know they said they won't, but with each pass of balancing the significance of your purchase can be greatly diminished. What you loved in this patch can be undone in a hurry. Really wouldn't hurt my feelings if they refunded my money and let me do it again in beta or release.

That Blackheart's Bay was the closest I've seen one contested in either stint in Alpha. It was fun. Despite the issue blocking the turn in, we definitely should've had that sooner.

Yeah, I am hoping you are right on that. And it's not a bad idea for now. I quit last time because there wasn't much to do once I leveled the heroes I wanted to. There were no master skins or what not at the time to chase. I can only assume it'll be upped, but I genuinely have no clue to what number.

kirblar

B14RYYjCMAEwCtA.jpg:large

Reposting from Twitter/The Blizzcon Thread - concept for a future map.

Tenki

I'll recap the new heroes and battlefrounds:

New Hero: Jaina

New Hero: Thrall

New Hero: Lost Vikings

New Hero: Sylvanas

New Battleground: Sky Temple

New Battleground: Tomb of the Spider Queen

New Skins

And it seems there are new more heroes shown but not announced: Sylvanas (announced a bit later), Rexxar, Leoric, and The Butcher

There's more info about all the heroes and the ranked play here: http://www.heroesfire.com/hots/forum/news/new-content-announced-at-blizzcon-398

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Blizzard deciding they're not averse to having players control multiple units is fantastic. Lost Vikings sound great, Baleog chucking exploding swords at peeps for his basic attack gave me a chuckle.

I want Fang and Scorch too, though. Three units is not enough.

Alur

Those two new maps from the trailer look pretty awesome. I'm excited to see how Jaina and Thrall play as well...think we all knew at least Thrall was gonna get pulled out of mothballs for this.

If they are looking at 15x the playerbase for beta in January, gonna be a huge amount of invites going out in the near future. I can't wait, personally. More diverse queues will be a godsend.

EDIT: In b4 everyone drops Valla for Sylvanas.

How fast are the matches in this currently, or what are they aiming for? The thing that turns me off from DOTA and LoL are the time sinks necessary to play even just one match.

Lost Vikings hero(s) sounds awesome. This is where they are reworking all the current heroes too I think? They said that currently they're all boring or something.

Alur

How fast are the matches in this currently, or what are they aiming for? The thing that turns me off from DOTA and LoL are the time sinks necessary to play even just one match.

Most of mine end up in the 17-22 minute range. The only way you see 25 minutes plus is if it's super close, or if both teams are super incompetent (making it close by default). Either way, it's well worth the extra few minutes in fun equivalency.

Neoweee

Lost Vikings hero(s) sounds awesome. This is where they are reworking all the current heroes too I think? They said that currently they're all boring or something.

Some of the earlier-developed Heroes are getting some revisions to their skills and talents. Last I heard, they explicitly mentioned Raynor and ETC being among those.

And I agree. The Heroes added since the Alpha invites started going out are all more developed and more interesting, talent-wise, than those at Alpha's start.

kirblar

Oh, look. Another first pick Tassadar. What a shock. (I suspect this event may be a wake up call for the devs re: necessity of bans.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom