• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm Open Beta Thread of Sneakiness and Evil

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheYanger

I'm not sure how drafting mode would even work in this game, if you can ban heroes i mean, what if they ban all the heroes you own?

I guess it's not for public match making, but still seems like the kind of mode you don't even want to play with premades unless you own all the heroes.

In League you have to own enough heroes that it wouldn't be possible for you to be unable to play something unless I'm mistaken, would assume similar.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I don't know if the recent tournaments were using the official Draft mode, but they had one ban and five picks with unique heroes.

I played against bots for the first 4 levels of my Valla character and then I played against other humans for like 8 matches.

Characters take forever to die and it's all a bum rush to take side objectives. Deaths/kills don't matter as much as they should.

I don't really agree. I've played I guess 200+ games at this point, and from where I see things the game is all about teamwork and team fights. Kill counts are irrelevant in a sense, but getting killed takes 1-3 seconds if the other team actually knows how to focus fire and you don't know the range you need to float at, and one person being dead for 45-60 seconds can swing the entire game.

It's kind of a gradual progression currently where it starts by focusing on lanes and objectives and then team fight victory takes over as the times climb and the ability to knock down buildings quickly grows.

However, the first phase also influences your team fighting capability later in that you can get an experience lead by pushing well.

There's also a confounding factor in that some heroes aren't super amazing at team fights, but are very strong laners who can back door teams that roll as a group or make it hard to stay in a lane if they're laning.

That said, the map objectives don't always mesh with this and some promote one style or the other notably more heavily, but since you can't see the map before you pick your heroes, that means you can't plan for that.

This is pretty much my experience as well. And when you play Abathur as much as I do, some maps and group makeups make me feel virtually worthless until the mid teens, while other times (like a game I had last night), I can copy someone like Azmodan or Gazlowe and push a core solo. For Abathur I find I have to just take my best guess on my build as things develop to try and maximize either pushing a lane or helping in team fights. Other heroes you basically have to commit to a build from lvl 1 or you're going to be a gimped mess by lvl 20 and by then it shows.

zoukka

MOBA's are the worst games in existence when you immediately realise your team is bad. HotS especially since the opposing team can't stomp your team fast zzzzzz

Finally got an invite a week or two ago, gave it a try.

I like the voice acting and character models and the art style (barring stuff like MLP mounts).

Gameplay is new, but I don't think it has legs. It's like a super smash bros type of moba but I don't think there's enough in there to cause serious investment into the game in the long term. I like that they tried to mix up maps but its really lacking in giving full instructions of the game mode.

What really drove me away though is the gold prices. I was getting like 20 gold for losing a match and not much more for winning a match, and the cheapest heroes are like 2000g. I'm already not a fan of league's system but this is way slower and I don't see myself playing the game in the long term so I'm not going to open my wallet.

It's neat to play blizzard's heroes in an FFA, but that is all it is. Hope they make some great strides into release.

The bottom line is the game will have legs if they keep it different. Being different and balanced is more important than being even particularly good. I have enough objectivity to realize this is a scrub MOBA for MOBA scrubs, but what I love about it is that it feels like old WoW battlegrounds because of the balance of objectives and skirmishes.

The gold bullshit is terrible, but I think is close to the model they will keep. They need better cosmetic shit to make it really sustainable, but they undoubtedly want gold acquisition to be as slow as it is.

I think the technical issues (connectivity problems, getting stuck in a fucked up game where 6 people can't connect and you're stuck with bots for 20+ minutes, some games taking 5+ minutes to load properly) are what are going to drive people away if they aren't fixed.

Supposedly the maps we have now might not even be the maps they launch with, but I'm not yet convinced. I think the Tribute and Skull ones are near perfect now, Pirate map is too slow, Dragon Shire is a nightmare if you get stuck with a weird team makeup, and the Garden is wayyyy too big and should have been a 2 lane map.

kirblar

The big reason for the gold being low was because there weren't enough goldsinks. With the Piggy Bank and Master Skins, that's no longer really a problem, and I definitely expect them to up the rate in the future.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
You guys talk like this game has a grind compared to Hearthstone...

Just because Hearthstone may be worse doesn't mean this game doesn't suffer as well, if it releases like this it'll be the death of the game, people won't farm for 2 - 3 weeks per hero.

kirblar

You guys talk like this game has a grind compared to Hearthstone...
If you play Hearthstone for a year, you'll unlock a near-complete playset. Same isn't really true here - the gold rate is too conservative. The dailies feel like they need to be bumped, though, not the games themselves. (Grinding sucks.)

KePoW

Banned
Just because Hearthstone may be worse doesn't mean this game doesn't suffer as well, if it releases like this it'll be the death of the game, people won't farm for 2 - 3 weeks per hero.

I haven't played LoL in about 1.5 years, but how long does it take now on average?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't played LoL in about 1.5 years, but how long does it take now on average?

In LoL? It's better than HotS, that's all I know from the people who have done the maths. If HotS added a first win of the day bonus, bumped the win/loss gain slightly and reintroduced rewards past level 15 it would be fine.

Raxus

It is so weird starting at level 1 again on everything. It also highlights why having talents locked from the get go sucks.

At least they aren't planning any more wipes from this point on.

zoukka

It's a f2p game. You can pretend it's not and dish out 60 bucks on your favourite heroes and be done with it.

kirblar

It is so weird starting at level 1 again on everything. It also highlights why having talents locked from the get go sucks.

At least they aren't planning any more wipes from this point on.
It needs to be 1 game per level to unlock, not EXP-based. Running 3 quick co-op games with a character isn't a big deal. 5-6 definitely is.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
It's a f2p game. You can pretend it's not and dish out 60 bucks on your favourite heroes and be done with it.

I could do, but I won't as I feel everything is very greedily priced, if I feel like I'm getting a good deal I have no problem spending some cash on a F2P game, but I won't if I feel like I'm getting the shaft.

Lyng

That depends. This game is all about mastering your hero and perfecting your every move in teamfights. I bought Brightwing for rl money and am going to by Tyrael for ingame gold.
Apart from that I want Abathur and then I am good.
I feel I have variation enough with these 3 heroes.
Then again I almost only played Puck, NP and Meepo in Dota.

Sooo what's the excuse for blocking talents until you grind them? I checked "master" when it asked me my experience with similar games, can we drop the drooling retarded handholding please?

kirblar

Sooo what's the excuse for blocking talents until you grind them? I checked "master" when it asked me my experience with similar games, can we drop the drooling retarded handholding please?
Restrict options for newbies so they don't get overwhelmed. It's not inherently a problem, but there are too many games required to do the full unlock right now.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
If the talent gate was based on account level it would be much better.

Yeah that's something I thought as well, once you hit level 5 or something all heroes are ungated.

Yeah, although someone here only found it via the Battle.net website, and it appeared once they used the installer, so YMMV.

That was me and I should mention that I did get an email about 6 hours later. It probably got delayed after my account was flagged for access.

But are you really a Master at MOBAs?

I've played in competitive tournaments of dota 2 with a ranked team, of course I'm not Dendi, and I don't claim to be, but I don't think the "master" button should be considered as "I am Dendi".

I am at ease playing 80+ dota 2 heroes, I think I can learn four simplified abilities within a few minutes without being overehelmed.

Shit, those talents are not even new abilities, they just enhance the four you already have. What's the point of blocking those options?!?

Ketch

You know I was just reminded of how shitty the release version of Diablo 3's skill system was (without elective mode), and how much that reminds me of the talent gate thing.

On paper it says noob friendly but in reality it's already noob friendly without the additional restriction.

They're not making Peggle you know. How noob friendly does it need to be?

Also, talent gate is a really funny name for a controversy, it's actually about ethics in multiplayer battle arenas.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I've finally found a hero I don't like and that's Chen. I'm really not into the 0 damage root bot playstyle.

kirblar

I'd like to apologize for anyone that gets stuck teaming with me when I'm playing on Illidan for EXP.

Beceause good god I am bad with him.

I remember that long time ago, i registered for the betas in the BN webpage but i haven't received anything D:

In the case i have been selected, it would appear in the list of games in the BN program, right?

KePoW

Banned
You know I was just reminded of how shitty the release version of Diablo 3's skill system was (without elective mode), and how much that reminds me of the talent gate thing.

Elective mode was in D3 from the very beginning

Ketch

Elective mode was in D3 from the very beginning

Yea I know, I was in the D3 beta aswell (lucky me!). The skill system went through a couple changes, but I meant that elective mode was default off and the skill system sucks that way, but they did it to help out new players.... even though it's pretty damn easy anyway and everybody, even "noobs", turns on elective mode. Kind of like how talent gating is to help new players, but the talent system is already super easy and noob friendly so the gating is not necessary.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone using Hotslogs? Just uploaded all my replays to it, seems like a cool idea. It'll track your win rate with each hero and give some other stats, if you use their mass uploader app it doesn't take long, I just did over a 100 games pretty quickly.

zoukka

10k! Who should I buy... I love the idea of many heroes, Nova seems like the most OP hero easily though. I would love siege heroes also if it wasn't so futile to lane in this game. It's all about mass ganking.

Risible

I would if that got me a ton of heroes, but at the current prices that could be as little as six heroes. Fuck that, that's insane. If $60 got me the majority of the heroes I'd be happy.

I'm not opposed to spending money on f2p, I've probably dropped a few hundos on Dota 2 by now, and feel like I've more than gotten my money's worth. HotS needs to come into line with Valve's pricing to get me to drop any more cash on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom