• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm Open Beta Thread of Sneakiness and Evil

Status
Not open for further replies.
8 games! Madness. Ain't nobody got time for that.

They carry over to the next day. You can have 3 at a time before you lose em

I am in the Alpha for this game but the game is a complete snoozefest to be honest. Some of the worst bots in a MOBA yet.

Even though a regular match takes less time than the length of a regular match in a MOBA... the overall pace of a match in this game is just really slow.

Why are you playing against bots

Dahbomb pls

jns

Can you restart the tutorial somehow? Anyone?

I have this option from the main menu
iYRZDazUz5eIw.png

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
A new wave of invites went out today, no emails thus far so check your Battle.account to see if you got in. It may or may not be EU only.

Bento

Is there an invite begging thread for this game? Was hoping to get an invite this time around but seems like I'll be waiting a bit longer for that.

lyrick

Is there an invite begging thread for this game? Was hoping to get an invite this time around but seems like I'll be waiting a bit longer for that.

There's not invites in the fashion that Dota2 was handled.

Blizzard is starting this though:
http://us.battle.net/heroes/en/blog/16363107/bring-your-friends-to-the-brawl-10-16-2014

If you have Tech Alpha access and are up to the challenge, all you’ll need to do is to reach Player Level 20 in Heroes of the Storm between Tuesday, October 7 and Tuesday, November 18, 2014. Upon doing so, you’ll be automatically entered into a random drawing, in which thousands of lucky players will be selected to invite all of their regional Battle Tag and Real ID friends to join them in Technical Alpha testing! While we’re announcing this promotion today, we wanted to make sure to include the dedicated players who have already been playing since last week’s patch, which included our final planned account wipe.

So maybe you want to find some dedicated players and beg to be on their Battle.net friends list?

Valnen

A new wave of invites went out today, no emails thus far so check your Battle.account to see if you got in. It may or may not be EU only.

I got in last night. Finally! I'm NA, by the way.

The tutorial is awesome. Really makes me wish Blizzard would make more games, it just oozes "Blizzard" if you know what I mean.

Dahbomb

Why are you playing against bots

Dahbomb pls
I played against bots for the first 4 levels of my Valla character and then I played against other humans for like 8 matches.

Characters take forever to die and it's all a bum rush to take side objectives. Deaths/kills don't matter as much as they should.

KePoW

Banned
I played against bots for the first 4 levels of my Valla character and then I played against other humans for like 8 matches.

Characters take forever to die and it's all a bum rush to take side objectives.

Aren't you the guy who did not want to completely bash DmC? You've got bad taste broski!!

kirblar

Characters take forever to die and it's all a bum rush to take side objectives. Deaths/kills don't matter as much as they should.
A lot of the strategy is power-play based, based on using the time you have while they're respawning to take objectives or push base destruction, rather than getting EXP advantages based on kills. It fits with the more objective-based gameplay - Blackheart's Bay is a map where you win primarily based on the objectives, rather than traditional lane pushing (as the coins are so very, very good at decimating bases for you.) I like that the kill itself isn't really emphasized here- I think it helps make the game a friendier place in the solo queues.

The power-play thing also shows up in team fights- having more raw numbers is super important, as you can focus fire their team and melt them. pretty easily with 3+ people against a duo or straggler. Also, the damage:hp ratio changes at higher levels to favor damage- so the endgame in high-level play has the teams sticking close together to avoid getting picked off.

Dahbomb

That's my exact problem... the Blackbeard map is the exact example I had in mind. What's the point of even having creep lanes in the game if the game is going to focus around on map objectives that heavily for pushing?

Just have players fight around objectives and when they win objectives they can push towers/buildings. The creeps are such a minor part of the battles that I wonder why they are even in the game other than "oh look we are like those other MOBAs you play!" There's no last hitting/denies and EXP is shared... there is very little reason to stay in creep lanes and their biggest attribute is that they can tank tower hits for you... which you don't really need if you get the camps that can help you push. If they want to distance themselves from other MOBAs then they should put in maps without any creep waves whatsoever to emphasis the strengths of the game (I use the term loosely, I am not sure if I call some of those objective mechanics the game's strengths but it's what Blizzard is emphasizing over traditional lane push game play).

I might try Nova today though, just have to get her up to 4 quick.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Pirate's Bay is one of the few maps where lanes are less valuable as killing buildings (which the pirate ship does) also gives you significant XP.

However, on other maps, try only being in two lanes while the enemy is in three and you will see that you quickly fall behind on leveling even if you kill them fairly often.

If you have really good siege heroes though, if the enemy team abandons their lanes entirely in pursuit of the Pirate Ship, you can still push down their keeps. Abathur and Tychus are quite effective at that.

Dahbomb

However, on other maps, try only being in two lanes while the enemy is in three and you will see that you quickly fall behind on leveling even if you kill them fairly often.
That's another issue which is that camping in lanes gives more EXP than actually killing other heroes... which again is counter to what Blizzard is trying to push with this game which is team fights and objective based game play.

I feel that my problems from the game stem from the fact that I can tell Blizzard wants this game to be its own thing but its still too much rooted in standard MOBA mechanics.

Apologies in advance if this is common knowledge. I've been monitoring my BNET client over the past few weeks under the assumption that the game would show up there if I got into the alpha. It never did. A few minutes ago I was poking around in my BNET account management page (where it lists all your owned games) and I saw Heroes listed there. It had a small 3MB installer which I downloaded and ran and that's when the game got added to my client. I never got any email about this either.

So if you're still waiting for an invite, try checking your account management page.

kirblar

That's another issue which is that camping in lanes gives more EXP than actually killing other heroes... which again is counter to what Blizzard is trying to push with this game which is team fights and objective based game play.

I feel that my problems from the game stem from the fact that I can tell Blizzard wants this game to be its own thing but its still too much rooted in standard MOBA mechanics.
Part of the Alpha/Beta is figuring out "Which maps work?" Haunted Mines has already gotten one rework, and I suspect it will wind end up getting a more massive one eventually or just getting replaced, as the map just really isn't all that fun and tends to snowball.

Dahbomb

Yeah I guess I can't be too harsh on an Alpha and one that is free to play. Things are bound to change in the future.

wapplew

Part of the Alpha/Beta is figuring out "Which maps work?" Haunted Mines has already gotten one rework, and I suspect it will wind end up getting a more massive one eventually or just getting replaced, as the map just really isn't all that fun and tends to snowball.

Maybe they should put one with no special objective 3 liner and see how it goes...

kirblar

I really like that each map requires a different strategy/team composition, and so you have ones ranging from the Objective-heavy Blackheart's Bay to something like Cursed Hollow, which is actually a very traditional map with a Whack-A-Mole gimmick.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

It's kind of a gradual progression currently where it starts by focusing on lanes and objectives and then team fight victory takes over as the times climb and the ability to knock down buildings quickly grows.

However, the first phase also influences your team fighting capability later in that you can get an experience lead by pushing well.

There's also a confounding factor in that some heroes aren't super amazing at team fights, but are very strong laners who can back door teams that roll as a group or make it hard to stay in a lane if they're laning.

That said, the map objectives don't always mesh with this and some promote one style or the other notably more heavily, but since you can't see the map before you pick your heroes, that means you can't plan for that.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Just had the best game so far, both teams were super equal and good, the objective play was on point and the battles over the tribute were epic. I went from hero level 1 to 4 in that one game, that's how crazy it was. If all games were that exciting man....

Maybe they should put one with no special objective 3 liner and see how it goes...

That would be awful.

kirblar

Are they ever going to change it so opposing teams can't pick the same hero? For some reason that bugs the shit out of me.
Will always be there in Solo Queue due to beginners not having access to 10 heroes, but shouldn't be possible in the 5v5 competitive mode.

Finally got an invite a week or two ago, gave it a try.

I like the voice acting and character models and the art style (barring stuff like MLP mounts).

Gameplay is new, but I don't think it has legs. It's like a super smash bros type of moba but I don't think there's enough in there to cause serious investment into the game in the long term. I like that they tried to mix up maps but its really lacking in giving full instructions of the game mode.

What really drove me away though is the gold prices. I was getting like 20 gold for losing a match and not much more for winning a match, and the cheapest heroes are like 2000g. I'm already not a fan of league's system but this is way slower and I don't see myself playing the game in the long term so I'm not going to open my wallet.

It's neat to play blizzard's heroes in an FFA, but that is all it is. Hope they make some great strides into release.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Finally got an invite a week or two ago, gave it a try.

I like the voice acting and character models and the art style (barring stuff like MLP mounts).

Gameplay is new, but I don't think it has legs. It's like a super smash bros type of moba but I don't think there's enough in there to cause serious investment into the game in the long term. I like that they tried to mix up maps but its really lacking in giving full instructions of the game mode.

What really drove me away though is the gold prices. I was getting like 20 gold for losing a match and not much more for winning a match, and the cheapest heroes are like 2000g. I'm already not a fan of league's system but this is way slower and I don't see myself playing the game in the long term so I'm not going to open my wallet.

It's neat to play blizzard's heroes in an FFA, but that is all it is. Hope they make some great strides into release.

You get 300 - 800g per day from daily quests, 500g for every hero you level to 5 and you get gold rewards for doing the early player levels. The first 10k gold comes very quickly, after that it slows down to a complete halt. There's 1001 threads about it on the forum and I'm sure the gold gain will be tweaked long before beta, let alone release.

Ketch

I'm not sure how drafting mode would even work in this game, if you can ban heroes i mean, what if they ban all the heroes you own?

I guess it's not for public match making, but still seems like the kind of mode you don't even want to play with premades unless you own all the heroes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom