• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm Open Beta Thread of Sneakiness and Evil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fularu

Banned
The old OP didn't have a lot of info so I figured a new OP would work well as they're ramping up invites quite a bit now.

Because we moved from Technical Alpha to the alpha proper.

Servers were down for a week :(

Time to relearn the game (lots of stuff have changed)

My friend got an invite and he hasn't bought or played a game since 2011 so I play on his account. Good job blizz

My friend has two accounts and has had a WoW sub for like 10 yeara and hasn't gotten in

I haven't been subbed to WoW for like 2 years, have never been a huge Blizzard fan, and got an invite in the first or second wave

I'd feel guilty if I didn't play the hell out of this alpha

Playing since sunday and I am having a blast every round. I really like the game but dat goldfarming :| I am going to continue playing anyway. If anyone here is located in the EU feel free to send me a pm for some rounds.

jersoc

I spent 5 hours playing it today, I bought li li as she was the cheap 2,000g champ who wasnt free. I felt like she sucked so bad, but then I unlocked poison, poison + dragon + heal combo is so strong

little res icon is so cool, as someone who played a resdruid in wow

she's ok. i think they nerfed her too hard. she falls behind the other hero healers. I play her a lot still while waiting for gold for brightwing.

zoukka

Tried it yesterday, game is fun for sure and my first MOBA. I would love to read some resources to learn the game or play with other new gaffers and why not with experienced ones too. I'm a fast learner :)

Tried Uther and Barb so far, Uther seems like the best newb character so far.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I thought this was the |OT| and I was like 'what the heck, I reserved that ages ago :(', then I realized that would have to put me 5 years in the future :lol

Nice thread, very informative. I did get access a few weeks ago and although I haven't given it a real chance yet, I did start the game and I accidentally clicked on 'veteran'. Does anyone know how to reset everything, or at least tell me what I missed out by choosing veteran instead of the casual setting (I would love to play all of the tutorial etc).

Fularu

Banned
I thought this was the |OT| and I was like 'what the heck, I reserved that ages ago :(', then I realized that would have to put me 5 years in the future :lol

Nice thread, very informative. I did get access a few weeks ago and although I haven't given it a real chance yet, I did start the game and I accidentally clicked on 'veteran'. Does anyone know how to reset everything, or at least tell me what I missed out by choosing veteran instead of the casual setting (I would love to play all of the tutorial etc).

The tutorial

Robin64

I'm still interested in this game, but part of me thinks it might at least have a little bit of the Google+ effect. It'll be in a publicly visible, but invite only alpha for so long that people will just lose interest.

Kinda getting that way already.. When did Alpha start anyway, March?

Edit: I'm just annoyed that friends that give no shits about this game got invites (and don't even play any Blizz games currently) while I'm a Pretty Big Blizzard fan and have nothing. Heh.

Great, very informative info dump in the OP. Really pumped for this game. Blizzard continue to pump out the hits - Hearthstone has been my GOTY for 2014 and this looks like it could dominate 2015 for me!

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
New free rotation in all regions includes:

Tassadar
Chen
Illidan
Zagara
Tyrael
Valla
Malfurion

I hope they announce lots of new heroes at Blizzcon next week.

and I hope they never announce non-Blizzard characters as heroes.

I got into this a week or so ago but have yet to give it a try online. Dota 2 takes all my focus. Still, if anyone wants to give it a go, feel free to add my battletag: teowind#1408

Ketch

Such a shame that Chen's ult doesnt involve micromanagement of the 3 spirits.

I don't even understand how that could work without micro..... Like they'd all just be clumped together attacking the same target... Why even ult?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Tassadar as a full mage is so fun, using this build. Really can't call him a support, but he's awesome.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Tassadar as a full mage is so fun, using this build. Really can't call him a support, but he's awesome.

I use a very similar build on him, but I prefer Distortion Beam over Shrink Ray because it always works and if you're with a team you can slow a whole bunch of people when chasing down instead of just one.

That said, it lacks the damage nerf that Shrink Ray has.

Depending on how mobile your team is, Leeching Plasma can make more sense than Healing Ward as well, though it doesn't heal as much if you need quick on the field recovery for everyone.

lyrick

Anybody else trying to grind to 20 so they can (hopefully) play this game with their actual friends, instead of all the people they are already friends with for the XP bonus?

sobaka770

Banned
Have to hit level 10 on Tyrande. She's so awesome and versatile as support.

I'm seriously hoping for major Blizzcon news. A couple of real cool heroes (Jaina, Kael'Thas mage combo would be sweet), balance tweaks and a new map. Come on Blizzard!

Also, this game is fun to play. I hope once it gets several more coats of polish it'll be a strong contender in MOBA genre.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Have to hit level 10 on Tyrande. She's so awesome and versatile as support.

I'm seriously hoping for major Blizzcon news. A couple of real cool heroes (Jaina, Kael'Thas mage combo would be sweet), balance tweaks and a new map. Come on Blizzard!

Also, this game is fun to play. I hope once it gets several more coats of polish it'll be a strong contender in MOBA genre.

At Blizzcon I'm expecting at least three heroes and the StarCraft map.

sobaka770

Banned
Does hitting level 10 have any gameplay consequences or is it just for cosmetic stuff?

Hitting level 10 gives you the possibility to spend 10000 gold to buy Master Skin. The benefits per level at this point are as follows:

Level 2 - unlock second ultimate for hero
Level 3 - unlock extra talents for hero
Level 4 - unlock all talents for hero
---- WE HATE THIS TALENTGATE FOR EVERY DAMN HERO ----
Level 5 - get 500 gold
Level 6 - hero portrait and extra mount color for this hero
Level 7 - extra hero colour
Level 8 - extra hero colour
Level 9 - gold frame hero portrait and extra mount colour for the hero
Level 10 - possibility to obtain Master Skin for hero for 10'000 gold

NB. Gold gain is 20 for loss, 30 for win every match and 200-800 from daily quest. (800 is the play 8 games quest)

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
3 games today, all idiots on my team who don't play the objective. Fun fun.

I've never really been interested in MOBAs, although I did play the original DOTA back in the day some it just never caught on in a big way for me.

However, this game looks like a ton of fun and I want to try it...

Blizzard is good at making me want to play their games lol

3 games today, all idiots on my team who don't play the objective. Fun fun.

One of my favorite things about this game is how essential teamwork is. They've really gotten a good balance of keeping games close but basically making it impossible to win without going for objectives or capping all merc camps (or both, depending on your competition).

I actually really enjoy how I can go from one game where everyone is thinking alike and we win in like 12 minutes 5 levels ahead of the other team to the next game where I die 9 times and look like a complete idiot because everyone's all over the map killing minions all game.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
This game still has the problem where it feels like your contribution doesn't matter.

I can't think of a worse problem for a competitive online multiplayer game to have.

sobaka770

Banned
This game still has the problem where it feels like your contribution doesn't matter.

I can't think of a worse problem for a competitive online multiplayer game to have.

It feels that way on certain heroes, but it's a balancing issue. New heroes Azmodan and Anub'arak feel powerful when played properly. The two games I played with Azmodan, I solo pushed the fort in no time with the siege build while a proper intrusion of Anub'arak is deadly with his burrow, spikes and ult. People get wrecked...

The thing is that ideally the hero should feel powerful only if you play him/her well. That's the hard-to-master part and should be kept that way. Great example is Raynor who is a cakewalk to learn and to play "okay" with but proper positioning of Hyperion ultimate or a good pushback of the opponent into the towers (and not away from the fight like 90% of Raynors do) is so much more difficult to execute. This requires more patience, planning and understanding of the game.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
There we go, 4th game of the day was a real battle with equal teams and we just won. That's why I play this game.

Lyng

Man reaching level 20 before November 18 is gonna be hard when player level gain is reset after each match....

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Man reaching level 20 before November 18 is gonna be hard when player level gain is reset after each match....

This bug coupled with the level 1 skills bug is killing the game, it's happening 50/50 right now. Talent gating just got a lot worse with this bug.

Svafnir

I think contributing in the mechanics feels rewarding. Fight off guys at the last tower to cap dragon shrine? Go into the mines and get a lot of souls for your team? Etc. Your plays have a visible and noticeable effect on the game.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Installed today and played a couple matches. Is it just me or all the maps are too much Warcraft-like?
Only played as Demon Hunter so far, i like it and its easy to learn her playstyle.
semttulo2kurd.png

kirblar

They're all "generic fantasy" so far, which is in line with the Warcraft Universe aesthetics.

I can't wait for a Whimsyshire map.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Can you restart the tutorial somehow? Anyone?

Nokterian

Installed today and played a couple matches. Is it just me or all the maps are too much Warcraft-like?
Only played as Demon Hunter so far, i like it and its easy to learn her playstyle.

Valla is indeed easy got my invite last week when i logged in to my battle.net app was surprised by it and having valla because of the C.E Reaper of Souls is very cool. Played a bunch of matches and it really is a blizzard game nothing compared like Dota 2. It's fun but they need to lower the prices a bit for a hero and put more hero's in rotation . Also the leveling hero can be such a bore for unlocking skins and what not. Blizzard needs to change it i know it's a technical alpha but to me it's no fun to pay for ludicrous prices of each hero/mount.

kirblar

Valla is indeed easy got my invite last week when i logged in to my battle.net app was surprised by it and having valla because of the C.E Reaper of Souls is very cool. Played a bunch of matches and it really is a blizzard game nothing compared like Dota 2. It's fun but they need to lower the prices a bit for a hero and put more hero's in rotation . Also the leveling hero can be such a bore for unlocking skins and what not. Blizzard needs to change it i know it's a technical alpha but to me it's no fun to pay for ludicrous prices of each hero/mount.
You actually got it from the regular version too. :)

Dahbomb

I am in the Alpha for this game but the game is a complete snoozefest to be honest. Some of the worst bots in a MOBA yet.

Even though a regular match takes less time than the length of a regular match in a MOBA... the overall pace of a match in this game is just really slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom