• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT3| Chromiehounds

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Man, it's been a while since I've played HotS. Just played a few games with Nova to get her to level 5 since she was at 4 and I wanted the gold reward. She's pretty bad to begin with and I wasn't very good, but man did people get salty at me for playing her lol. Made me want to play her more.

kirblar

Man, it's been a while since I've played HotS. Just played a few games with Nova to get her to level 5 since she was at 4 and I wanted the gold reward. She's pretty bad to begin with and I wasn't very good, but man did people get salty at me for playing her lol. Made me want to play her more.
If you like Nova, play Valeera or Chromie instead. They do the same thing, but better.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
oh its live in EU nice, just woke up. Lets see what I get then

meh only 36 boxes (lvl 296), thought it would be more actually.

edit: welp already got the wow style Hammer skin from one of the common boxes, I can pack it up, im done :p

Keasar

In the 2.0 announcement thread the OP mentioned that people could still buy skins and cosmetics for money if they didn't wanna rely on RNG loot boxes, but I can't find such an option anywhere. The only thing I see is specific bundles of skins when they are released or buying what I'd want with this Shard/Dust scheit that you only get a pittance of when recieving a duplicate in the loot boxes.

Was I lied to?

kirblar

In the 2.0 announcement thread the OP mentioned that people could still buy skins and cosmetics for money if they didn't wanna rely on RNG loot boxes, but I can't find such an option anywhere. The only thing I see is specific bundles of skins when they are released or buying what I'd want with this Shard/Dust scheit that you only get a pittance of when recieving a duplicate in the loot boxes.

Was I lied to?
They have to be featured to do it. They put a time-limited restriction on them, which makes sense.

Alur

If you like Nova, play Valeera or Chromie instead. They do the same thing, but better.

Genji plays a lot like Nova too, IMO. Granted there's the whole diving in thing, of course, but the general play style is similar in what you want to do.

SRTtoZ

oh its live in EU nice, just woke up. Lets see what I get then

meh only 36 boxes (lvl 296), thought it would be more actually.

edit: welp already got the wow style Hammer skin from one of the common boxes, I can pack it up, im done :p

You get so much good shit from the boxes, it feels way better than OW boxes IMO. I threw Blizzard an extra $40 for 50 more and I got so many skins I never had. Now I actually want to play different heroes because I have their skins!

scoobs

You guys are steering him down a dark path. Don't listen to them, stay away from Chromie, Nova, and Valeera! :D

Ya, the amount of actually cool skins I got from loot boxes was somewhat surprising. I got all of the ones I really wanted aside from Sulfuras Uther (which I bought with shards immediately)

Syf

Banned
First impression, very positive. The loot boxes seem to drop good stuff way more often than Overwatch's do. The heroes added since I last played are a lot of fun. The progression system feels much better than it used to. Actually makes me want to play more. Really good stuff Blizzard.

tamminen

Wow theyre being really generous with this stuff. Assassin bundle got me 6 heroes I didnt own yet, I think Ive all but 6 heroes now. A ton of mounts and skins. Maybe I should take some time to play a few games, its been a while.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
graymane and dehaka, which drops either the tank or the assassin bundle down to 7 heroes I dont own (oh well)

then 2 illidan dupes, 2 falstad, malfurian, nova heroes

lots of mounts, TON of skins (that legendry rocket muradin is awesome). So thans for the free stuff blizz :)

these boxes seem much better than the OW ones tbh.

edit: probably should go ahead and buy Auriel since I got her legendary fel skin

Keasar

They have to be featured to do it. They put a time-limited restriction on them, which makes sense.

Blech...

Doesn't help my general opinion on loot boxes. Sure, a pack of 10 boxes gives me stuff, but it's always the wrong stuff. And if I get duplicates, that pack of 10 boxes can maybe get someone halfway towards what they actually wanted. So a skin that would have costed 9.99 is now 19.99 because you have to buy loot boxes, get enough shards (maybe but most likely not) to buy that specific skin you actually want, oh and now you only get it in one color. Sure you had to level up in order to unlock all color options on one hero but sans the last 2 levels that process was usually quite quick.

Drayco21

Played a bunch of matches; lost most of them, but having a good time. Sylvanas and Li-Ming are rad.

Tried a bit of Leoric too, and wasn't feeling him; I feel awful whenever I'm playing a warrior that's not Artanis.

scoobs

Blech...

Doesn't help my general opinion on loot boxes. Sure, a pack of 10 boxes gives me stuff, but it's always the wrong stuff. And if I get duplicates, that pack of 10 boxes can maybe get someone halfway towards what they actually wanted. So a skin that would have costed 9.99 is now 19.99 because you have to buy loot boxes, get enough shards (maybe but most likely not) to buy that specific skin you actually want, oh and now you only get it in one color. Sure you had to level up in order to unlock all color options on one hero but sans the last 2 levels that process was usually quite quick.

Well you could play the game and get loot boxes organically for free too. But ya, theres obvious downsides to loot box systems. If they gave you everything you wanted each time then you wouldn't care about getting loot boxes once you got your skins. They're fun to get and open because they MIGHT have something cool.

Artanis is incredible. I've been playing the shit out of him the last couple weeks and I win almost all of my games. The swaps are just so juicy

I got the Support bundle since they're my favorite role to play in these types of games, but I'm curious if any of 'em are considered especially good or bad? Are there any you're glad to see show up in your games?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Wait, they aren't bringing D.va to HotS, just giving you stuff for her in Overwatch? But randomly giving you a Busan police bike? She has to be coming to HotS soon, right?

scoobs

I got the Support bundle since they're my favorite role to play in these types of games, but I'm curious if any of 'em are considered especially good or bad? Are there any you're glad to see show up in your games?

Probably too good: Lucio, Uther, Lili, Malfurion
Good not great: Rehgar, Kharazim, Morales, Brightwing, Tyrande

There aren't any bad supports right now really. All are pickable.

Did you see the reveal Dice? D.Va is the next hero coming after Genji.

Keasar

Well you could play the game and get loot boxes organically for free too. But ya, theres obvious downsides to loot box systems. If they gave you everything you wanted each time then you wouldn't care about getting loot boxes once you got your skins. They're fun to get and open because they MIGHT have something cool.

They are fun to open because Blizzard like everyone in the business has studies psychology and knows that bells and whistles are appealing to people. And they know that tickling the sense of gambling inside people's heads is a good drug to make people want this stuff more.

To me this has the opposite effect, it's not fun because it is frustrating. It is frustrating to slowly earn these boxes, open them and get more shit you don't want at all. Take Overwatch for example, currently there is that Invasion/Intrusion whatever event going on, in that event there was a very cool Torbjörn skin I wanted, however, it can't be bought immediately but has to be earned either in loot boxes or bought with gold. People told me you could earn loot boxes by playing Arcade, and you can, but it's only 4 boxes a week you earn that way. And levelling has slowed down to almost a halt for me, so at best I could get maybe 10 per week if I only played Overwatch during my free time, which I don't want to cause I got other shit to play as well. In the end, in all my free boxes, I didn't get that skin I wanted, so I had to pay money, more than I should have, to buy loot boxes and try and get it (still didn't) and if not use the coins to FINALLY earn that Torbjörn skin I wanted before it potentially goes away forever.

So no, fuck loot boxes. I don't want to care about them, I'd rather pay a medium fee to just get what I want and be done with it cause I am psychologically programmed to wanna dress up my characters in a style I enjoy when playing and by that I mean WHEN I am playing, not towards the end of my enjoyment of the game when whatever I wanted finally drops through some random number generator but I am just about done playing the game.

kirblar

They are fun to open because Blizzard like everyone in the business has studies psychology and knows that bells and whistles are appealing to people. And they know that tickling the sense of gambling inside people's heads is a good drug to make people want this stuff more.

To me this has the opposite effect, it's not fun because it is frustrating. It is frustrating to slowly earn these boxes, open them and get more shit you don't want at all. Take Overwatch for example, currently there is that Invasion/Intrusion whatever event going on, in that event there was a very cool Torbjörn skin I wanted, however, it can't be bought immediately but has to be earned either in loot boxes or bought with gold. People told me you could earn loot boxes by playing Arcade, and you can, but it's only 4 boxes a week you earn that way. And levelling has slowed down to almost a halt for me, so at best I could get maybe 10 per week if I only played Overwatch during my free time, which I don't want to cause I got other shit to play as well. In the end, in all my free boxes, I didn't get that skin I wanted, so I had to pay money, more than I should have, to buy loot boxes and try and get it (still didn't) and if not use the coins to FINALLY earn that Torbjörn skin I wanted before it potentially goes away forever.

So no, fuck loot boxes. I don't want to care about them, I'd rather pay a medium fee to just get what I want and be done with it cause I am psychologically programmed to wanna dress up my characters in a style I enjoy when playing and by that I mean WHEN I am playing, not towards the end of my enjoyment of the game when whatever I wanted finally drops through some random number generator but I am just about done playing the game.
Games like Diablo are literally designed around busting booster packs in the form of bosses.

Alur

Wait, they aren't bringing D.va to HotS, just giving you stuff for her in Overwatch? But randomly giving you a Busan police bike? She has to be coming to HotS soon, right?

Where'd you get that? D.Va is the next hero coming to HOTS. How'd you get that she wasn't? lol

Probably too good: Lucio, Uther, Lili, Malfurion
Good not great: Rehgar, Kharazim, Morales, Brightwing, Tyrande

There aren't any bad supports right now really. All are pickable.
Thanks! Lucio's already my most played character in Overwatch, maybe he'll be the same in here.

Rhaknar

when heroes go on sale weekly, will it affect the gem price now?

I ask because if so I should save these 1k gems they gave me I guess

edit: oh skins bought with shards (the crafting currency you get from dupes and shit) are much cheaper than I expected. rares at 100 nd epics at 400 is nice. Legendries 1600 not so much but still.

scoobs

Thanks! Lucio's already my most played character in Overwatch, maybe he'll be the same in here.

He's incredible in HOTS, and you can double as a chase-down assassin with him and his crazy wall-riding speed talent at level 1. You can't get away from Lucio, he's a nightmare to play against.

If you guys are new or haven't played in awhile, check out https://www.hotslogs.com to see win rates, your personal MMR, stats galore, all that jazz. Its pretty sweet.

Rhaknar

can confirm that I could buy a different mega bundle by logging in to the americas server, no need for a different account.

got the tank one on my "main" and the support one on the US one, gotta have them supports everywhere son!

also ended up buying auriel and morales with gold, down to 2.5k now ;_;

Keasar

Games like Diablo are literally designed around busting booster packs in the form of bosses.

That is really false equivalency. A boss unlike a loot box is something you fight to progress further in the game, the loot being a bonus to increase the capability of your character, while during the endgame the loot is what people strive to get. This stuff in Overwatch and HotS is literally only for the sake of "I'd like my character to look nice".

scoobs

That is really false equivalency. A boss unlike a loot box is something you fight to progress further in the game, the loot being a bonus to increase the capability of your character, while during the endgame the loot is what people strive to get. This stuff in Overwatch and HotS is literally only for the sake of "I'd like my character to look nice".
I don't have a problem with it because all of it is totally optional cosmetic stuff. It's a fun reward for playing the game. If the stuff in the boxes was actually important to the gameplay then I'd maybe see where youre coming from. As it is, I understand your position but I don't think its worth getting this upset about. So you missed out on a dress for Li-Ming that makes her look like Sailor Moon... not the end of the world.

If you truly enjoy the game, and play it enough, you will get whatever you want for totally free because of the shard system. Which is why I'm now the proud owner of the incredibly dank Sulfuras Uther skin. Shards for days son.

Rhaknar

I don't have a problem with it because all of it is totally optional cosmetic stuff. It's a fun reward for playing the game. If the stuff in the boxes was actually important to the gameplay then I'd maybe see where youre coming from. As it is, I understand your position but I don't think its worth getting this upset about. So you missed out on a dress for Li-Ming that makes her look like Sailor Moon... not the end of the world.

or is it? :3

kirblar

It's the same impulse. Cracking a TCG booster, a loot box, a boss. People like the excitement of WHATS IN THE BOX.

Wunder

Looking for a couple of people to knock out the Nexus Challenge quest with over the next couple weeks, add me if you're interested: Wunder#6816

I played HotS casually for a year or so but stopped around 2016. I'll tank for you!

Pooya

Wasn't there a tiger mount before? I can't see it now.

I feel 1000 gold was a better reward for brawl than one lootbox. I'm not sure. You could save up buy a hero, you can't buy a hero with shards.

Keasar

It's the same impulse. Cracking a TCG booster, a loot box, a boss. People like the excitement of WHATS IN THE BOX.

On the other hand, the game doesn't optionally charge you 9.99 for the chance to kill 10 bosses in a row. :p

If you work with Blizzard and are reading this, DO NOT SUGGEST THIS IN THE NEXT BOARD MEETING!

Rhaknar

feel free to add me on EU or US Rhaknar#1946

Rhaknar

so you can only buy featured items with real money (aka gems)? Thats weird

Sölf

Bought the Tank/Bruiser Bundle for maximum value.

Got Chen, Lunara and Sylvanas from my lootboxes

Also got Legendary Chen, Muradin and Leoric skin.

Time to play this baby again.

Altairre

Yeah I wanted to buy the Prime Evil Diablo skin but I guess that's not an option. Got some neat stuff from my epic loot boxes but the normal ones weren't partiularly great.

Anyway, can someone tell me if I should get Genji? One of the loot boxes gave me an Oni skin and now I'm wondering whether I should spend my gems on him or not. I do tend to like mobile heroes like Tracer a lot.

Top Bottom