• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT3| Chromiehounds

Pooya

pilot d.va could be more squishy, I think it's not easy enough to kill her.

people that are good with her completely shut down my gengu v_v

Alur

my god shes so fun, what the fuck? What are you guys going with anyway?

Here's what I've been taking and why:

1) Hit The Nitrous - once I started choosing this and figured out to fling myself into as many of the enemy team as I could on CD, damage went up and wins started coming. Also think Rush-down (Q CD shorter when used out of combat) might be useful on the really large maps.

4) Bring It On! - feels like a no brainer. Diverting Power was used by some opposition D.Va's and got good value, not sure if it's actually good though.

7) Aggression Matrix - lower CD's on Defense Matrix are good. I considered going Coming Through w/ Hit the Nitrous too, though.

10) No preference - tried both, they both feel lackluster in their own way. I've secured kills or plays with both, though, so I really don't know yet.

13) Ablative Armor (against fast auto attackers) and Expensive Plating (against Chromie/Li-Ming/KT/etc) - the shield talent you're taking is the training wheels talent. Once you get the hang of hitting E at the last second to drop your mech (and get a free new one) you probably won't wanna take it. It's only delaying the inevitable, while the other two are actually providing you a lot of defense.

16) Torpedo Dash or GG, WP - Took Torpedo Dash 80% of the time. GG, WP damage is insane, but it's hard to get a lot of use out of it IMO. Even that late in game. Worth noting that GG, WP has a 5% higher winrate than Dash and is taken almost twice as often with the data we have so far.

20) No clue - I like MEKAfall as an ability, but if you aren't running regular run of the mill Quick Cast it's another thing to click before you can get in your mech which may kill you if you're up against the wire in Pilot mode. I took the knockback as a Pilot a few times as extra defense. Never really had to use it, but made me feel safer.

She was very fun to play last night. Not Genji levels of fun, but p damn fun, especially after I began to figure out the right way to do things.

Qing into the enemy with Nitrous and knocking em around unsettles them, does decent damage, and you move so fast they can't really get much on you unless it's a point and click stun. If it goes pear shaped you just Defense Matrix and walk backwards out. Still searching for better value with Matrix, but I seemed to do better with it as I got more games in as you'd expect.

Stiches can eat D.Va's mech bomb.

IIRC one of the HOTS podcasts said it still blows up anyway, though. No clue if there is an indicator. Did you actually see it happen because I haven't seen it yet.

You were right Alur, it's not my mechanics that are the problem but my poor decision making overall and my team fighting capabilities that are bringing me down. Playing Valla after not playing her for a while opened my eyes to how much I need to improve still. At least we're back to having a positive win rate overall as a group.

I do think that's the thing. I wouldn't call it poor decision making, but certainly it's hurt you in some ways. Was hard for me to see it as mechanical play when you are capable of performing so much better in OW than us, for example. The bad decisions are something we all do, too, though, so it's not like you're the only one. You have the least amount of time to actually play on your own and learn, or play with the rest of us, so it's mainly just down to that IMO.

Fancolors

Why does every daily quest I receive is about getting 2 matches as character from x franchise? Those barely pay gold, and it's been over a week of them.

brian!

Feel like pilot ult will be go to (bouncy mech...for wombo?) cuz as far as i can tell going in and out of the mech is prtty integral to her playstyle

Alur

That's my impression as well. The damage from it is one thing, but also it's ability to get you back to full mech charge quickly is important as well so you have that safety button.

I still don't know about in and out of the mech being the play style.

I would say that's the plan 100% if not for it giving half a death of EXP every time your mech gets blown up by the enemy. It takes a while to build up her E even with the level 7 talent giving you 30% more charge so I just don't know. To go in and out a lot you'd have to feed it a lot and I'm not sure if that's optimal. You also lose access to Defense Matrix.

I do think it's important to sacrifice your mech to save others. As for consciously trying to get back into pilot mode instead of just taking advantage of it when it happens.../shrug.

brian!

Hm yeah i dont mean feed the mech, more take advantage of the healthbars. Like if your e is up play pretty aggressive instead of looking for ideal e explosions, stuff like that

Ketch

From what I've seen of dva in streams she seems like she fits into muky's roll that's about getting value out of your deaths around objectives

Like feeding 0.5 deaths is not good but you can get away with trading a 1.5 or 2 or even more for the value you get out of being in the fight the whole time.

brian!

Yeah that seems to be how her tanking works. It's a lot more like traditional moba tanking. She's most ignorable in mech form but provides really good mitigation and good backline prrssure so ppl still want to blow stuff on her. In pilot form she draws aggro because of her high dmg and potential health reset.

Altairre

Got fuck all from my Overwatch boxes. Not a single legendary and only like three purples. Buying loot boxes in OW seems like a bad deal.

Let's see what I got in hots...

Edit: OH SHIT I GOT NIGHTMARE PRIME EVIL DIABLO! That's literally the one skin I wanted most. Couple of other neat skins as well including infested Tychus.

Rizzi

Got fuck all from my Overwatch boxes. Not a single legendary and only like three purples. Buying loot boxes in OW seems like a bad deal.

Let's see what I got in hots...

Edit: OH SHIT I GOT NIGHTMARE PRIME EVIL DIABLO! That's literally the one skin I wanted most. Couple of other neat skins as well including infested Tychus.

Jealous.

Drayco21

my god shes so fun, what the fuck? What are you guys going with anyway? I've been using:

Hit The Nitrous
Bring It On
Coming Through
Bunny Hop
Emergency Shield
Pilot Dash (for me its basically mandatory so you can finally escape as a pilot)
Mekafall

I dont get any W talents, I cant seem to find it much useful :(

I've been going

Hit The Nitrous
Diverting Power
Dazer Zone
Big Shot
Emergency Shielding
GG, WP
Mekafall

I've had some really good results dropping a Defense Matrix in teamfights; the bigger radius and the slowing effect can really mess some people up.

Rizzi

I'm not really clear on the "best" way to play Greymane. Are you supposed to swap human and worgen form often, or are you supposed to pick one and choose talents around it?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I'm not really clear on the "best" way to play Greymane. Are you supposed to swap human and worgen form often, or are you supposed to pick one and choose talents around it?

swap. poke with cocktails, dive in as wolf, dive back out etc

brian!

3 main uses for worgen: favorable trades, finishing, and waveclear. Human form is for doing stuff from the backline. If you are going for a cocktail hit make sure your actual target is behind the target you are hitting (use minions a lot for this)

cocktail build at 1 through 7, either heroic depending on enemy comp, any talent at 13, 16 usually executioner or giant killer variant, 20 is Human AA splash.

You poke, poke, poke until you see a squishy go low enough to jump them and get out again. You're supposed to switch repeatedly as all your movement is tied to it and you take less damage in worgen form but there's nothing wrong with playing it safe and staying back as a human if no opportunity presents itself to go ham.

brian!

A good way to learn gmane is to be kind of liberal with worgen jumps, you'll quickly learn what you can and can't get away with. A big part of his game is taking favorable trades. Say you're laning against valla 1v1 for some reason and you know where the enemy is at on the map; there is little reason not to all-in her over and over in this situation.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
never had as many mvps as with d.va, as meaningless as they are /shrug

Alur

I did get it 4 or 5 times on D.Va last night. She does just enough damage, can soak a lot of damage, and wave clear is decent so she's not a bad choice for getting them.

Milly has been killing it lately on Tass offensively too. Total turnaround on that hero from the early days where we could never win with it.

I just started HotS and on the hero screen the heroes didn't appear, I can't choose any of them, there's a message that says "Your selected hero is not valid" and nothing in the store loads.

Is this happening to anyone else? Is there a fix? I tried to restart the game, the PC, the blizzard app and log out/in but the problem remains...

I started playing HotS a few weeks ago and it is the first time I encounter this problem.

Pooya

when you start the game for the first time after every patch, it needs to redownload bunch of data, it's 100-200MB something like that including your profile, all the maps, brawl and so on. Sometimes it might get stuck downloading it or it takes much longer than it should, that's when that happens.

I'm a little surprised they didn't add play of the game like OW. They probably wanted to avoid the headache of people complaining about it though and having to tune it forever.

I think PotG in HotS is less interesting because you can all see the plays. In OW it's more interesting because the perspective is completely different and you can't always see everything that happened or who carried the play.

Rhaknar

another MVP lol. Its like Alur says, she does enough of everything, her damage is actually quite good.

Alur

Are you typically topping the charts? How much damage is it usually? I'm usually in the 35k-40k range and the average appears to be 37k in Diamond.

I've had two games where I flirted with top damage and two other games where the opposing D.Va had a lot of damage. From what I've seen your damage shouldn't be that great regularly unless they aren't focusing you or are just letting you stack your mech autos on multiple targets. Well, I guess you could stack a ton of damage if people stand in your E's, but most of mine only serve as zoning mechanisms.

Rhaknar

Are you typically topping the charts? How much damage is it usually? I'm usually in the 35k-40k range and the average appears to be 37k in Diamond.

I've had two games where I flirted with top damage and two other games where the opposing D.Va had a lot of damage. From what I've seen your damage shouldn't be that great regularly unless they aren't focusing you or are just letting you stack your mech autos on multiple targets. Well, I guess you could stack a ton of damage if people stand in your E's, but most of mine only serve as zoning mechanisms.

35-40k on normal/close games, 50-60k on the blowouts

and yes I dont think I even got a kill with the E yet, I combo'ed with Altarire on a Zera VP erlier but even Chromie didnt die, he had to finish her off. Great for zoning tho, so much so that im wondering about the talent that makes it longer to blow up. I had a enemy d.Va use it on Infernal Shrines and that shit took forever and nobody wanted to go in because of it lol.

edit: heh another mvp, lul

edit: and another haha. Noray back me up here, im not lying :3

Kioshen

I just started HotS and on the hero screen the heroes didn't appear, I can't choose any of them, there's a message that says "Your selected hero is not valid" and nothing in the store loads.

Is this happening to anyone else? Is there a fix? I tried to restart the game, the PC, the blizzard app and log out/in but the problem remains...

I started playing HotS a few weeks ago and it is the first time I encounter this problem.

When in doubt, start with a scan and repair.

Have had that happen a time or two but relogging always fixed it.

when you start the game for the first time after every patch, it needs to redownload bunch of data, it's 100-200MB something like that including your profile, all the maps, brawl and so on. Sometimes it might get stuck downloading it or it takes much longer than it should, that's when that happens.

When in doubt, start with a scan and repair.

After a few tries the game is working fine again. Thanks!

Rhaknar

I should stream since I already play as much as a streamer anyway, at least when im off work >_>

55% win rate with D.Va now, thats better

Alur

Voyboy placed higher but brought in less? What? Lol.

I thought he was the most popular of the 3?

They both ended up in masters which earns them the same amount of money for league placements. They also earned $100 / win up to 100 wins. Scarra had over 125 wins. Voyboy presumably had less wins.

IIRC Dyrus was actually in grandmaster for a bit. He was #178 at one point that I saw, so that might be it.

I didn't know Dyrus was more popular than Voy in League streams either. Voy is the more entertaining for sure, but I guess that long term TSM branding helps out a bit with Dyrus too.

I should stream since I already play as much as a streamer anyway, at least when im off work >_>

Do you have a cool accent? Are you attractive or entertaining or both? Are you good at the memes? Twitch may have a spot for you!

brian!

They're both like og era players but the storylines for dyrus were always more compelling. Plus what alur said about dyrus being a tsm staple, whereas voyboy was kinda shifted around diff teams until ppl didnt really require his services anymore. And i guess dyrus being on winning teams vs. voy not really winning also contributes a bunch

Top Bottom