• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT3| Chromiehounds

Kioshen

http://latam.ign.com/heroes-of-the-...eroes-of-the-storm-evoluciona-a-su-version-20

IGN LATAM hit publish too early. Full on Heroes of the Storm 2.0, kiddos.

I can get the gist of it via screenshot but google translate is no help here getting the details. Edit: Translating it from whatever it is (probably Spanish) to English is much better than French wow.

Man a huge ad obscures the article for me on mobile

Not only on mobile but also desktop. Oh IGN ...

Kioshen

Hype

The changes in the system are not the only new thing that will come with the beta of Heroes of the Storm 2.0 and is that to celebrate the 20th anniversary of Diablo, a new character is added. A new ranged assassin comes into play. Cassia is a "Javazon" that pays homage to the Amazon of Diablo II, using the power of thunder, its javelin and its shield.

Sprays could be hilarious like spraying everywhere as Abathur indicating "I was here".

edit : For more details on Cassia including abilities.

Alavard

Looks like they're also adding announcers and skin/mount/spray loadouts.

Must be some other big changes as part of it. The beta will apparently last 'for months'.

Kioshen

I can't wait to have brightwing narrate my games after the patch drops or hell even Nazeebro, Alarak or Leoric for that matter.

Alur

Alarak announcing would be amazing. Zul'jin would be great. Leo and Illidan as well. We all know the two GOAT announcer packs, though; Murky and Probius. Kappa

EDIT: This article says the beta for 2.0 starts today. That can't be right, right? Also sprays will be absolutely trolly AF in HOTS in a way they never could in Overwatch.

kirblar

Yup, those Novazon tint changes were indeed a tell.
Edit: it seems like instead of buying things with real money you now buy gems with real money to unlock stuff...
This lets you put gems in loot boxes. I get why they have to do this because of the shared B.Net currency.

Alur

Javazon/Cassia might be cool. It does make me giggle that the whole article is in Spanish or whatever yet the talents embedded in the article are all English.

re: currency, I'm not really sure what to make of it. Does gold go away? Does it get converted to gems? Do we get whatever currency/boxes for the levels we already have? etc etc. I'm at like account level ~600 if you go by just hero levels. That's a lot of look boxes.

EDIT: That article says you can use your gold to reroll what came out of the loot box. That sounds simultaneously good and shitty because there's no guarantee I actually receive anything for this 130k gold I'm sitting on, though the idea of rerolling it is nice outside of that.

Kioshen

Real cash gets replaced by gems, gold stays there and can buy loot boxes, heroes the usual. You can also use gold to reroll said loot boxes apparently. Shards will come into play like the currency in Overwatch for duplicates and stuff to "build" your own skin if you don't have enough gems/gold to make the purchase but have accumulated enough shards to make it.

Maledict

Alarak announcing would be amazing. Zul'jin would be great. Leo and Illidan as well. We all know the two GOAT announcer packs, though; Murky and Probius. Kappa

EDIT: This article says the beta for 2.0 starts today. That can't be right, right? Also sprays will be absolutely trolly AF in HOTS in a way they never could in Overwatch.

Beta will last some time apparently. And generally that's how they do it in hots, announce something then drop the beta almost immediately. Guessing launch date in may to co-incide with the original release.

New matchmaking interests me. Wonder if there are engine changes coming. Spectator mode?

kirblar

Real cash gets replaced by gems, gold stays there and can buy loot boxes, heroes the usual. You can also use gold to reroll said loot boxes apparently. Shards will come into play like the currency in Overwatch for duplicates and stuff to "build" your own skin if you don't have enough gems/gold to make the purchase but have accumulated enough shards to make it.
They finally have a goldsink for players now, which has always been an issue.
Javazon/Cassia might be cool. It does make me giggle that the whole article is in Spanish or whatever yet the talents embedded in the article are all English.

re: currency, I'm not really sure what to make of it. Does gold go away? Does it get converted to gems? Do we get whatever currency/boxes for the levels we already have? etc etc. I'm at like account level ~600 if you go by just hero levels. That's a lot of look boxes.

EDIT: That article says you can use your gold to reroll what came out of the loot box. That sounds simultaneously good and shitty because there's no guarantee I actually receive anything for this 130k gold I'm sitting on, though the idea of rerolling it is nice outside of that.
Sounds like hero levels are converting to your new score, yeah. Lots of boxes on the way.

Ketch

Gold is IP, gems are RP.

Questions I have are: can you still buy all the same stuff with gold as you used to? Are gold prices changing? Can I buy exactly what I want (skin/hero/mount) with real money or is there gonna be shit that I have to fucking roll to get lucky to get? Are real money prices changing?

Alur

Gold is still used to buy heroes. Still comes at the same rate it appears. But you can also get heroes from loot crates as well. No clue on buying individual items with money, haven't got that far yet. It looks like gems can still directly buy skins, you just have to buy gems before buying skins/mounts. An extra step, if you will, like RP or whatever in League.

Also, those fuckin' portraits you can buy with shards. YEAAAAAAAAAAA

Alavard

Gold is IP, gems are RP.

Questions I have are: can you still buy all the same stuff with gold as you used to? Are gold prices changing? Can I buy exactly what I want (skin/hero/mount) with real money or is there gonna be shit that I have to fucking roll to get lucky to get? Are real money prices changing?

Can answer one part of your question. I haven't watched the longer videos yet, but the very quick (1 min) preview vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAFwy0vU70I&t=3s

It shows a hero being purchased for 10,000 gold as normal at one point.

Alur

The videos never directly show you being able to use gems to purchase skins or mounts. It does show you being able to use gems to purchase the other stuff.

kirblar

The videos never directly show you being able to use gems to purchase skins or mounts. It does show you being able to use gems to purchase the other stuff.
It's looking like Gems are explicitly for the loot boxes.

"Shards" are from DEing loot box stuff and are the crafting material.

edit: complete overview goes into it about 2:20 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrZCVxc-zkY

edit2: Gems are just replacing anything that was previously $ so that they can give you $ in the loot chests/progression system.

Alur

It's looking like Gems are explicitly for the loot boxes.

"Shards" are from DEing loot box stuff and are the crafting material.

edit: complete overview goes into it about 2:20 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrZCVxc-zkY

edit2: Gems are just replacing anything that was previously $ so that they can give you $ in the loot chests/progression system.

I don't see anywhere in that video where it is made clear about gems relating to skins. They kind of just gloss over it in a way that corporations do, lol, hoping you don't notice or care. It appears you can't use them for skins directly, but it's never explicitly stated yes or no. It's just simply not shown like an off screen death.

My real question is do we get loot boxes for the levels we already have or no? Because if not that's a major fuckup, but if so then people who have a ton of levels like some of us are going to get a shitton of stuff for free.

kirblar

I don't see anywhere in that video where it is made clear about gems relating to skins. They kind of just gloss over it in a way that corporations do, lol, hoping you don't notice or care. It appears you can't use them for skins directly, but it's never explicitly stated yes or no. It's just simply not shown like an off screen death.

My real question is do we get loot boxes for the levels we already have or no? Because if not that's a major fuckup, but if so then people who have a ton of levels like some of us are going to get a shitton of stuff for free.
Yes, they're converting your current levels into loot boxes.

It kinda looks like buying skins directly is only going to happen if they're explicitly on sale now. Bundles are still there.

Alur

One of the reddit mods in this thread (https://www.reddit.com/r/heroesofth..._make_loot_exclusive/?st=j0v4ljgh&sh=a55a2926) implies that everything is still purchaseable as before, but obviously with the caveat being you have to convert your money into gems first like in Clash Royale or League of Legends.

It's going to be like OW where you've already bought everything you wanted and the loot boxes are going to contain a disgusting number of useless, undervalued duplicates>gems and a sprinkle of new crap.

That's not so bad, though. If I don't want any of it anyway, not going to bother me. The announcer packs and stuff will at least be fun for a couple games a piece. I don't know how much I'll care about the rest. My concern is how they will translate our current levels into loot boxes and confirming that you can still directly buy skins and mounts when released. If you can get it in a loot box or from the shop, that's great. If it turns out everything goes full loot box only after this point, ehhhh.

scoobs

wow.. you know what this means boys...

E8ygy-1.gif~c200

Maledict

So after watching the video, there were at least 4 skins for existing heroes that popped up (berserker kharazim, fe legion mistress Kerrigan, etc) that aren't currently in the game plus colours for existing skins that aren't currently there. So looks like we'll have a LOT of new skins to be chasing when this goes live.

And goodness some of us will have a lot of loot boxes to open!

Edit: I don't understand how voice lines will work at all for heroes. Are they existing lines removed, or new lines you can get? And if so, when would they play? I didn't see anything like overwatches system for choosing lines there.

Alur

Legion Mistress Kerrigan isn't the one that's already in the game (Succubus Kerrigan)? If not it seems pretty damn close to redundant. I know Bezerker Kharazim is new at least by the facial hair.

Edit: I don't understand how voice lines will work at all for heroes. Are they existing lines removed, or new lines you can get? And if so, when would they play? I didn't see anything like overwatches system for choosing lines there.

You can get them in loot boxes or with shards, specific voice lines, and then have them put on a click wheel in game to spam at the enemy a-la Overwatch. "Thanks", "Hi" or whatever, but the ones shown were full voicelines.

Maledict

Um, in the video linked the only way to buy a hero directly was through gold. When they highlight valeera the only options were to buy with gold.

Edit : ah no, later on you see you can use gems as well. Weird how it's missing from that screen!

Alur

Destructoid article says that getting a hero to level 15 in the new system is the equivalent of getting a hero to level 10 in the old system. Article also confirms there is a the new Prime Evil Diablo skin

Um, in the video linked the only way to buy a hero directly was through gold. When they highlight valeera the only options were to buy with gold.

No, if you watch them hover over it a few times in the video there is a gem option and a gold option. I'll screengrab it for you if you want.

Alur

Destructoid article says PTR for a month til end of April unless I'm misreading it. That fucking sucks. You can't test shit on PTR.

Maledict

This stuff does need testing properly though because it's a new store and currency system.

It's quite sad how excited I am that blizzards big announcement is them giving me tons more crap to buy. And hopefully team banners and sprays soon as well!

Alur

Obviously it needs to be tested, but after week one it'll be a ghost town if past PTRs are any indication. It also removes any reason to play the current game outside of love of the game because levels/rewards will be gained so much quicker afterward.

EDIT: Also hype, but the wait will be interminable plus still some questions remaining.

Maledict

Obviously it needs to be tested, but after week one it'll be a ghost town if past PTRs are any indication. It also removes any reason to play the current game outside of love of the game because levels/rewards will be gained so much quicker afterward.

EDIT: Also hype, but the wait will be interminable plus still some questions remaining.

Levels will be gained at the same rate. It's your experience that is carried over, not the level of the hero - so unless you have a hero at level 20, everything you do ingame now will be rewarded when the system goes live.

Sorry Milly, no Kael for you!

Alur

If you're looking for the beta on the launcher the instructions are here (http://us.battle.net/heroes/en/heroes20/progression/#cashing-in):

Blizzard said:
1) Head to the Heroes of the Storm tab on your Blizzard launcher.

2) Use the Region selector found above the ”Play" button to switch to ”Heroes 2.0 Beta."

3) Hit the big, blue ”Install" button, and then log in to start playtesting!

There are also a few important details that you should be aware of during the Heroes 2.0 Beta:

Real money cannot be used to buy Gems or make any other purchases in the Heroes 2.0 Beta.

Instead, you'll earn Gems by completing a Weekly Quest that will only be available during the Beta.

Finally, any items unlocked or purchased during the Beta will not transfer to your live Heroes of the Storm account.

EDIT: Also direct confirmation on what Gems can purchase.

Blizzard said:
New Currency: Gems

Get them: You can use real money to purchase Gems in the Gem Shop. You'll also receive free Gems at regular intervals just by reaching certain account level milestones.

Spend them on: Loot Chests, Heroes, Stimpacks, and featured items (such as Bundles).

So only sale skins/new releases. Old stuff will be loot box only.

scoobs

It's weird seeing all the people in the announcement thread that okay this game but don't visit our community thread. Need to recruit some more peeps. I think we can all agree we are tired of only reading Millys bullshit everyday.

robertoci

Is the Beta out in EU? I clicked on the drop down list and only Public Test Realm is available and that is an 8gb download, is that the right one? Just making sure as my internet is slow as all hell and don't wanna waste time on something I don't need.

Top Bottom