• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

He's baaackk! -- Turok 3

MrToughPants said:
This looks like the guy in the last screen. Two different games and two completely different engines.

Crysis

crysis-20060419092934910.jpg

I think I'm a bigger fan of the Cry Engine, hopefully more devs use this in the future.

EGM92

it looks nice, but I think it would have been better to have it developed on the Crysis engine as the forest settings there in that engine are pure sex.

Yoboman

Seriously though... What the fuck is with the guys in just about every UE3 game looking the same? Big bulky armour, angry face, bald heads. It's getting annoying

EGM92

Yoboman said:
Seriously though... What the fuck is with the guys in just about every UE3 game looking the same? Big bulky armour, angry face, bald heads. It's getting annoying

You can change all that but it's just easier to use models that are already there and mod them to your liking. Sorta like Huxley how not everyone is bald and doesn't have the superheavy looking armor but you look at the game and automatically say "Unreal Tournament?" lol

Duderz

Banned
I enjoyed the earlier Turok games, so I'm interested in this one as well. Good thing it doesn't come out until next year...
they need to tighten up the graphics on level 3.

Scytale

Banned
Clearly Next Gen graphics.

Not top notch next gen so far as I've seen - but then this game should have wider open spaces.

When I saw the dinosaur, I was thinking it should look more like this:

751677_610_1134039617702-king_kong_1.jpg

Now take a look at this:

Xbox?
924960_20050805_screen003.jpg

UE3???
turok-20060503002628342.jpg

This game should look better for an UE3 game.

Foil

Looks good to me. Geesh, this place is full of whiners.. When these guys picked up the rights to Turok I expected something horrible, this is somewhat surprising (in a good way). Though I'd much rather the game be styled like the original Turok.

They're fighting back against all the prissy anime characters the majority here seem to love. Good for them. Some people like this look.

Norse

first off its over a yr away so it will look alot better....second, that first shot isnt very impressive. If those were said to be 360 shots this thread would have ripped those shots apart. The guy on left in the first shot has a last gen arm. I am sorry. This thread has finally confirmed the bias alot of people have towards the playstation brand.

The dino comparison shots totally show this game is very early in dev. I loved the original toruk that I played using a voodoo graphics card, so I hope this game turns out as well.

Kuroyume

Banned
What the fuck are people expecting from a game where you fight dinosaurs and aliens? Girly boys with long blonde hair, earrings, and man thongs?

What the fuck?

I think it looks cool. I'm not a fan of Turok gameplay though, so whatever...

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Kuroyume said:
What the fuck are people expecting from a game where you fight dinosaurs and aliens? Girly boys with long blonde hair, earrings, and man thongs?

What the fuck?

I think it looks cool. I'm not a fan of Turok gameplay though, so whatever...

People were expecting Turok.

Amir0x

Banned
Norse said:
first off its over a yr away so it will look alot better....second, that first shot isnt very impressive. If those were said to be 360 shots this thread would have ripped those shots apart. The guy on left in the first shot has a last gen arm. I am sorry. This thread has finally confirmed the bias alot of people have towards the playstation brand.

uh, Turok next-gen is a 360 game as well as a PS3 game. Seems someone is inserting their own bias and letting that cloud their perceptions. Hmm, sounds like a familiar song with you.

"BVG plans to publish games for multiple console and handheld game platforms, including the next generation successors." - Link

This game will likely be for PSP, PS3, 360, maybe even Xbox and PS2.

bengraven

I'm starting to wonder if I'm the only one who doesn't give a shit about Turok here. Yeah, I owned the first one and it was okay; and I'm always a fan of games with dinosaurs. Never played the second one. Was excited about the PS2 version, but it became likely the worst rental in history. Coupled with the very fucking bad story (come ON, an Indian with dinosaurs and robots and Civil War soldier cyborgs?) and character designs, I guess I'll be the lone dissenter here.

Turok is dead to me. /opinion

el jacko said:
Why does the guy in the second pic look like just about any other guy from any other next-gen shooter?

Seriously I feel like I've seen him at least a half dozen times already.
Ha, I was thinking almost exactly the same thing.

Otto

Scytale said:
Clearly Next Gen graphics.

Not top notch next gen so far as I've seen - but then this game should have wider open spaces.

When I saw the dinosaur, I was thinking it should look more like this:

751677_610_1134039617702-king_kong_1.jpg

Now take a look at this:

Xbox?
924960_20050805_screen003.jpg

UE3???
turok-20060503002628342.jpg

This game should look better for an UE3 game.

Dumb comparison. Whats not to say that Turok is going to have a lot more activety on-screen than Kong. For a game that's likely to be constant crazy action that T-Rex model is more than good enough.

Amir0x

Banned
bengraven said:
I'm starting to wonder if I'm the only one who doesn't give a shit about Turok here. Yeah, I owned the first one and it was okay; and I'm always a fan of games with dinosaurs. Never played the second one. Was excited about the PS2 version, but it became likely the worst rental in history. Coupled with the very fucking bad story (come ON, an Indian with dinosaurs and robots and Civil War soldier cyborgs?) and character designs, I guess I'll be the lone dissenter here.

Turok is dead to me. /opinion

I'm not a fan of "Turok" yet, but I've always been a fan of the concept. A Fps with dinosaurs should theoretically be a recipe for success. I hold that this remains true... with the right team, special things could happen. I'm hoping the latest dev crew can make something special.

Im sceptical. If this game doesn't give me a huge F'n headache it just wont be a turok game.

And since this reminds me, where in the hell is my
Magnus: Robot Fighter game?!?!?!?!

If this game comes even close to the over the top dinosaur-killing glory that was Turok 1, I'm in.

And what's with the hate? It doesn't look that bad, it just doesn't look exceptionally good. Maybe it's 60FPS dinosaur killing...

bengraven

Amir0x said:
I'm not a fan of "Turok" yet, but I've always been a fan of the concept. A Fps with dinosaurs should theoretically be a recipe for success. I hold that this remains true... with the right team, special things could happen. I'm hoping the latest dev crew can make something special.

Well, you're right, the concept could work, the only problems I have is some of the sci-fi additions. Some of the earlier comic book concepts were cool: in the early 20th century comics, it was basically Turok and his brother in the past fighting dinosaurs (dinosaurs and Indians, fucking rad); the Valiant comics version was good too, with Turok being in a modern age Lost Land. But then they added fucking bionosaurs and cyborgs and aliens and it became terrible; way too cheesy.

So basically, this is coming from a fan of old school Turok, of which I have many issues (collected them back in the day), but just think the creators are adding way too much fucking cheese in the last 10-15 years. I'm not a big fan of playing games that are "so bad they're good".

I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt, but not only do I have the concerns stated above, but let's be honest, the former developers gave it a terrible name.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
The question on all our minds: In all of this, where the hell is Turok? Or any native americans for that matter. That`s what made Turok awesome.

Whenever you were revived: ``IIII AMMMM TUUUROOOOKKK!!!!``

You fucking knew he was Turok.

sozo

sorry, but this doesn't look "good enough" for me. BIA 3 seems to be the only UE3 game right now that is actually achieving a unique look.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Norse said:

The dino comparison shots totally show this game is very early in dev. I loved the original toruk that I played using a voodoo graphics card, so I hope this game turns out as well.

QFT

sozo

Otto said:
For a game that's likely to be constant crazy action that T-Rex model is more than good enough.
sorry, but this doesn't look "good enough" for me. BIA 3 seems to be the only UE3 game right now that is actually achieving a unique look.

Dragmire

Graphically it looks okay (bad art, good tech), but why would anyone want a new Turok to be another squad-based, generic sci-fi FPS? Turok should be alone fighting and hiding from lots of crazy dinosaurs and enemies. I'm getting sick of this style of art, too. Never really cared for it, but all these games looking like this is ridiculous. I wouldn't be surprised to see the masses get burnt out on this type of game and style next gen. It's overkill.

Top Bottom