• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HEY! C'MON C'MON: It's the Giga Powered Neo Geo Appreciation Thread

klee123

Metal Slug 3 is possibly my favorite Neo Geo game. It's one of my favorite co-op experiences as well.

Yeah, saw it for a decent price and I couldn't resist even though it's still extremely expensive.

For me, it was either Metal Slug X or 3, but X costs a great deal more than 3.

1 and 2 are pretty much out of my reach at this point.

Teknoman

Yeah, saw it for a decent price and I couldn't resist even though it's still extremely expensive.

For me, it was either Metal Slug X or 3, but X costs a great deal more than 3.

1 and 2 are pretty much out of my reach at this point.

Metal Slug 1 and 2?

I need Mutation Nation, Sengoku 2 and 3 (is 1 worth it) and Magician Lord at some point. Robo-Army looks really cool...but seems a little too simple for a beat em up?

klee123

Metal Slug 1 and 2?

I need Mutation Nation, Sengoku 2 and 3 (is 1 worth it) and Magician Lord at some point. Robo-Army looks really cool...but seems a little too simple for a beat em up?

Yeah. A genuine copy of MS1 at this point is pretty much impossible to get on AES, especially if it's the English version.

Metal Slug 2 is easier to find, but still obscenely priced.

I can only comment on Sengoku 3 since I own it, but I highly recommend it.

Teknoman

Yeah. A genuine copy of MS1 at this point is pretty much impossible to get on AES, especially if it's the English version.

Metal Slug 2 is easier to find, but still obscenely priced.

I can only comment on Sengoku 3 since I own it, but I highly recommend it.

Oh yeah, was in the mind of MVS, but AES is bananas to get stuff for i'm sure.

Celine

I still need to pick up Magician Lord. Why does the CD version as much as it does?
Unfortunately the general price hike in the last year for retrogaming stuff hit Neo Geo CD too.
To note that Magician Lord was a failure in the arcades but a (relative) hit at home (allegedly it was the best selling cart of the first wave).
Of course in 1994 , when the Neo Geo CD launched, the popular games were others such as Samurai Shodown 2 or King of Fighters '95.
The early games had limited print run (some weren't even converted for NGCD).

I've got Magician Lord for around 30 euro a year and half ago but I see the prices on ebay doubled in the meantime.

The game on NGCD runs good. It loads just once at the boot up then it's identical to the AES version (but with different lives/restore system and a short intro).
No arranged OST though.

grendelrt

Metal Slug 1 and 2?

I just got mutation nation on MVS, its very basic but a lot of fun. The art and personality makes the game feel very unique. I have Sengoku 1, its ok, on mvs it only cost like 30 bucks so it was worth it.

Amani

I just popped in to say that I've recently been on a King of Fighters high, which led to a Kizuna Encounter high, which led to a Fatal Fury high, etc.

Neogeo is crack, confirmed.

Just found out about a game called Battle Flipshot, sort of like a Pong / Windjammers mix up.

Anyway, not much about the game online and seems that some are not keen on it, but I spent a fair old while on it this afternoon, really great fun!

zo7oS4m.jpg

Peltz

There's another game/rom I once played with similar gameplay on neo geo. Forgot the title though.

Pong rip offs are so underrated. They're timeless.

Roge_NES

Figure it may be better here than on the Sale thread but I have an extra copy for Metal Slug X for MVS, anyone would like to trade? Looking for Shock Troopers (Any of the 2) or KOF 2k2 or 98.

grendelrt

I wonder how the prices on Last Resort, Pulstar, and Blazing Star MVS carts are these days...

I paid 80 for LR and 80 for BS last year. That was forum prices not ebay. LR seems more rare out of the two, I dont see it nearly as often. Pulstar is really hard to find, I think the last one I tried to buy (got beat by 1 min) was like 160.

Cheapest AES I can buy?

Are those 100-in-1 carts worth getting? Is that illegal?
I think there are very few reasons to choose AES over MVS. (Leading to the next point, lower rate of bootlegging is one reason...)

Bootlegging is fairly rampant in the Neo-Geo world, but the 100-in-1 carts take that to a whole new level. The quality of the games on said carts tends to be a bit iffy too; some of them use weird builds you'd only find elsewhere in early MAME ROM collections that have glitches you'd never see on production carts. Someone put in a 100-in-1 cart in a candy cab at MAGFest one year and people were complaining about Mark of the Wolves not behaving correctly on it.

Cleve

I think there are very few reasons to choose AES over MVS.

Collecting is the only reason to get AES carts, but there were a couple guys making really nice display boxes for MVS carts too that I'm sure have just gotten better with time. A guy named big bear used to make some called shock boxes, I don't know if he's still around, but they made a great substitute when I gave up on AES.

Collecting is the only reason to get AES carts, but there were a couple guys making really nice display boxes for MVS carts too that I'm sure have just gotten better with time. A guy named big bear used to make some called shock boxes, I don't know if he's still around, but they made a great substitute when I gave up on AES.

There's a new case out now apparently that can house either AES or MVS carts.

12145031_975536699154729_1764897914_n.jpg

klee123

Oh yeah, was in the mind of MVS, but AES is bananas to get stuff for i'm sure.

Yeah, the only reason why I'm still at it is because I started about 6 years ago and yeah, not in a hurry to get all the games I want. Just going to wait and pounce when a decent deal comes up.

Welcome to the club.

Now buy MS1 AES.

Lol, considering the going rate for MS1 and rampant bootlegging with MS 1 and 2, I think I'll pass lol.

Bar81

Lol, considering the going rate for MS1 and rampant bootlegging with MS 1 and 2, I think I'll pass lol.

You realize MS3 is the subject of similar bootlegging. Unless you know how to confirm authenticity it's likely that you bought a bootleg.

Peltz

You realize MS3 is the subject of similar bootlegging. Unless you know how to confirm authenticity it's likely that you bought a bootleg.

Yea but MS3 is way less rare than MS1 or 2. For all intents and purposes, legit copies of MS1 might as well not even exist in AES format.

Cleve

I'm looking at ebay, and holy shit, is rage of the dragons on aes actually selling for $1200? That's flat out insane. I still have the cart and the promotional poster I got when I ordered it from shawn however many years ago that was.

entremet

Nice to see this thread bumped. Neo Geo is a true wallet killer, even after all these years lol.

I've considered a CD system, but man those load times.

Samuray

I'm looking at ebay, and holy shit, is rage of the dragons on aes actually selling for $1200? That's flat out insane. I still have the cart and the promotional poster I got when I ordered it from shawn however many years ago that was.

Yeah, fhis is a major sorrow of mine. I missed the boat for 350 just a couple of years ago and now I don't know if I will ever be able to afford it. :(
It's one of the few Neo fighters I'm still missing.

klee123

I did all the checks and besides, whilst bootlegs for MS3 exists, it's nowhere near the extent of MS1 and 2 due to the difference in value and rarity.

Celine

Nice to see this thread bumped. Neo Geo is a true wallet killer, even after all these years lol.

I've considered a CD system, but man those load times.
Do NOT get the NGCD if you are interested in the Fighting VS games.
The system isn't suitable for them (ironically).

Ban Puncher

I have X and 3 and played BOOT OR NO BOOT and won.

No boots allowed in my home.

MS1 is too expensive and there are so many bootlegged versions it has scared me off picking one up, even in Japan.

No real point in owning both 2 and X.

klee123

From what I've seen, very few games are superior on NGCD.

One of the noticeable ones I recall are superior on CD is Neo Turf Masters due to the extra course.

Generally, besides the early games, it's best to avoid the later fighting games.

I'd go so far and say the Saturn was a much better buy at the time when it came to affordable Neo Geo stuff, but the system misses out on the lesser known titles.

Celine

How bad are NGCD's load times? Are we talking PS1 levels or worse?
Depend on a per game basis.

However just think this:
NGCD has 7MB of RAM (a huge amount for the time) that need to be loaded using a 1x drive (and from what I understand content cannot be streamed on the fly into the RAM).

NGCD is a fine machine if you don't care much for Fighting Vs. games and are interested more about the early NG games.
It's a hard console to collect for because the user need to know beforehand if the loading times ruin a game or not while for other consoles most of the times you just need to know if you will enjoy the game.

Generally, besides the early games, it's best to avoid the later fighting games.

I'd go so far and say the Saturn was a much better buy at the time when it came to affordable Neo Geo stuff, but the system misses out on the lesser known titles.
I suggest to avoid Fighting Vs games on NGCD regardless on when they were relased or if you really want to play one and have patience to get one of the followers:
World Heroes Perfect, Fatal Fury Special, Samurai Shodown 2, Art of Fighting 2.

Saturn also missed the 1993-1994 wave since they started from 1995 to port them to Saturn.
Stuff like King of Fighters '94, Samurai Shodown 2, Art of Fighting 2 & 3 (well OK, AoF 2 & 3 could be considered "lesser known" which is a shame) .

klee123

I suggest to avoid Fighting Vs games on NGCD regardless on when they were relased or if you really want to play one and have patience to get one of the followers:
World Heroes Perfect, Fatal Fury Special, Samurai Shodown 2, Art of Fighting 2.

Saturn also missed the 1993-1994 wave since they started from 1995 to port them to Saturn.
Stuff like King of Fighters '94, Samurai Shodown 2, Art of Fighting 2 & 3 (well OK, AoF 2 & 3 could be considered "lesser known" which is a shame) .

I believe Samsho 2 came out on PSone as collection which included the both Samsho 1 and 2, a pity it never got a Saturn release.

WHAT?! OH GOD-

*rushes to eBay*

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SNK-Neo-Geo...982637?hash=item35f3594d2d:g:XnUAAOSwNgxWDw3n

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Yeah, the prices on ebay are ridiculous. The price the person wants is on AES territory.

Peltz

WHAT?! OH GOD-

*rushes to eBay*

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SNK-Neo-Geo...982637?hash=item35f3594d2d:g:XnUAAOSwNgxWDw3n

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

The soundtrack on the NGCD version is even better than the original too. They really went all out with that release. I sometimes listen to it on youtube:

https://youtu.be/zBdkVYLHWiY?list=PL45AA71B267E3120B

Nothing else screams "Japanese video game soundtrack" quite like that game. I at least still feel lucky to own the game on MVS at least... it's one of my very few Neo Geo items.

I have X and 3 and played BOOT OR NO BOOT and won.

No boots allowed in my home.

Is there a reliable method of checking for a boot? I should probably open up my MS3 anyway considering I've never gotten it to play correctly - either glitched graphics and working sound or working graphics and no sound .-.

Peltz

Is there a reliable method of checking for a boot? I should probably open up my MS3 anyway considering I've never gotten it to play correctly - either glitched graphics and working sound or working graphics and no sound .-.

I think you just open it up and check the boards. Non-scratched out serials from a reliable seller is also a good sign I think if you're going the MVS route.

klee123

Yeah, $300 sounds a bit more reasonable.

I'm considering getting a converter and the MVS cart for Neo Turf. I play the game on the SNK arcade classics collection on PS2, but the controls feels off.

The soundtrack on the NGCD version is even better than the original too. They really went all out with that release. I sometimes listen to it on youtube:

https://youtu.be/zBdkVYLHWiY?list=PL45AA71B267E3120B

Nothing else screams "Japanese video game soundtrack" quite like that game. I at least still feel lucky to own the game on MVS at least... it's one of my very few Neo Geo items.

Yeah, I love the OST, my favorite track is the Japanese course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsS41sxaAZ0&list=PL45AA71B267E3120B&index=2

Mercutio

Neo Turfmasters is my most played Neo Geo game, by far. It simply never gets old.

So I found something interesting recently:

IMG_20151014_221105_zpsdd9hflxq.jpg

It's an old hospital table on wheels! Perfect size for my sticks and at least one glass of whisky. Height adjustable too... seems really solid sitting / standing at any level.

Top Bottom