• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HEY! C'MON C'MON: It's the Giga Powered Neo Geo Appreciation Thread

How bad are NGCD's load times? Are we talking PS1 levels or worse?

I have a CDZ and don't have any complaints. The loads are there don't get me wrong but the CDZ helps out for sure. I'd put it around PS1/Saturn for a good amount of games.

As mentioned the early games are no problem at all and most cd games in general have some kick ass arrangements.

In short CDZ is worth it imo and a good compliment or compromise if you want to call it that.

I love SNK and all things Neo so to me its a cool piece of their history and worth having.

Also some of my favorite early SNK music

Nam 1975 Stage 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qr6vB8hHOM

Magician Lord Stage 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA5zsCRsvxw

What was it about stage 2 music back then?!

Ban Puncher

Neo Turfmasters is my most played Neo Geo game, by far. It simply never gets old.

So I found something interesting recently:

IMG_20151014_221105_zpsdd9hflxq.jpg

It's an old hospital table on wheels! Perfect size for my sticks and at least one glass of whisky. Height adjustable too... seems really solid sitting / standing at any level.

I wonder how many bodily fluids that table has absorbed from sick people...

AmyS

I always liked Fighter's History Dynamite, better known as Karnov's Revenge by Data East for NEO GEO. It's the sequel to the non-GEO GEO game, Fighter's History.

I especially loved & appreciated this stage background because I love wildlife.

5CHArAS.png

0UFwTXW.png

Flyers
1N33MuC.jpg

s4tsggJ.jpg

rslqN9v.jpg

klee123

Some of the more obscure fighters on NG are pretty good.

I remembered playing the crap out of this game at my local Fish and Chips shop during my youth.

maxresdefault.jpg

Celine

I don't like Karnov's Revenge.
My favorite lesser known fighting game for Neo Geo is World Heroes Perfect (WH 1 & 2 were quite popular at the time, unfortunately the last game received very little attention when it was released).

ACDC009shots.jpg

woodypop

If I'm remembering correctly about World Heroes Perfect, I don't like that the Super move is executed like a Special move. So once your Super meter is filled up, you can't avoid using it, unless you also avoid using your Special move with the same motion.

Otherwise, I quite like the game.

Ruprit

After years of wanting a Neo-Geo since visiting arcades to play Metal Slug as a kid, I’m finally in a position where I can afford one. Last week I got a CMVS delivered from Jamma-Nation X. I kept it simple and commissioned a CMVS that only had an RGB output to connect to my XRGB-Mini. Hands down, it’s the best picture quality I’ve ever seen delivered via the upscaler. Also, it’s pretty astonishing what a difference real hardware makes in comparison to ports or emulation. Though it might be more of a mix of nostalgia and authenticity.
I’ve mainly been trying to 1cc Aero Fighters 2 on Easy, but I also own Blazing Star, Garou, Metal Slug 2, and Metal Slug X, with more games to come.

Here’s some crummy pictures I took:
aero_fighters_2_0133ly6.jpg

aero_fighters_2_02zfa09.jpg

aero_fighters_2_032flga.jpg

aero_fighters_2_0429at5.jpg

aero_fighters_2_05h1lms.jpg

aero_fighters_2_06qabbk.jpg

braves01

Banned
I played some League Bowling a few days ago via Neo Geo Station. What great little sports game, and what a fantastic series of ports. Hopefully they put some more put, I'm optimistic since Metal Slug 3 came out not too long ago.

I played some League Bowling a few days ago via Neo Geo Station. What great little sports game, and what a fantastic series of ports. Hopefully they put some more put, I'm optimistic since Metal Slug 3 came out not too long ago.

Whoa, MS3 a NG Station release? Did M2 ever release X?

Peltz

After years of wanting a Neo-Geo since visiting arcades to play Metal Slug as a kid, I’m finally in a position where I can afford one. Last week I got a CMVS delivered from Jamma-Nation X. I kept it simple and commissioned a CMVS that only had an RGB output to connect to my XRGB-Mini. Hands down, it’s the best picture quality I’ve ever seen delivered via the upscaler.

I have the exact same thing from Jamma Nation X (RGB only as well!). It's got super-clean output.

braves01

Banned

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's neo geo station, but they charge a premium for it at $15. X hasn't come out yet, but that'd be nice, too.

Actually I just looked at some video and I dont think its neo geo station :-(
Sorry to get your hopes up, I just always assumed it was part of that series.

Hahs

Cool thread.

Is anyone here old enough to remember the show 'Video Power'?

I wanted be on that show so bad because the winners usually walked away with a Neo Geo - plus I always thought it was cool - even back then - how it was set up like an early version of Esports for adolescent people - good times!

EDIT - The host reminds me of somebody...
videoPower_zpsoqvhde9p.png

Ruprit

I have the exact same thing from Jamma Nation X (RGB only as well!). It's got super-clean output.

Too right! The image being totally stable is also a nice bonus. My Sega Saturn looks awesome but I do notice some minor instability with the image if I sit too close to the screen, same with my SNES and PS1. At some point, well into the future, I’m going to have to commission Jamma Nation X to build me a supergun. I’m really impressed with his work.

Definitely not a NG Station release, which is a real shame. I bought it on sale a few months ago. It seems to play fine, but the video options are extremely limited. It's not even close to the caliber of M2's work. I guess the one nice thing about it is that it's cross-buy (PS3/PS4). Doesn't seem to be any difference between the two versions.

AmyS

Hey I did not realize that the first 3 games of the Garou Densetsu series, Fatal Fury, Fatal Fury 2 and Fatal Fury Special were ported to the Sharp X68000.

Garou Densetsu / Fatal Fury on an actual X68000.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADSGcgaDL18

Garou densetsu 2 / Fatal Fury 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QNsFM7IttE

Garou Densetsu Special / Fatal Fury Special
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Wf7vH5catY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toCb_ArMxK0

These ports were done for X68000 by Magical Company. While not arcade perfect, they're most likely the best ports of the Neo Geo games, outside of emulation on modern systems. Meaning, better than the Genesis, Sega CD and SNES versions. However, not very practical because on both real X68000 hardware and X68K emulators you have to constantly swap floppy discs!

I wasn't aware of that. I know X86000 had the best home ports of that era though. And speaking of the disc limitation, I do recall SF2 being hindered by the disc swapping as well. Don't X6K people just run games off Compact Flash nowadays though?

AmyS

I wasn't aware of that. I know X86000 had the best home ports of that era though. And speaking of the disc limitation, I do recall SF2 being hindered by the disc swapping as well. Don't X6K people just run games off Compact Flash nowadays though?

Street Fighter II Dash (Champion Edition) on X68000 doesn't suffer from constant swapping (at least not as much) like FF2 & FFS do. Also, the port of SFII CE is virtually arcade perfect (other than some audio differences) as Capcom did it themselves, and actually used the X68000 as a dev station to write SFII in the first place. It also helps I guess, that CPS-1 hardware isn't quite as powerful as the Neo Geo, more in line with X68000 even though their specs are not 100% identical.

I could not find a 60fps video but here's SFII' CE X68000 gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3-IRbmnYbs

galvatron

There's another game/rom I once played with similar gameplay on neo geo. Forgot the title though.

Pong rip offs are so underrated. They're timeless.

You mean Bang Bead, which is the sequel to Battle Flip Shot. That completes the pong-fighter neo geo trifecta.

I don't like Karnov's Revenge.
My favorite lesser known fighting game for Neo Geo is World Heroes Perfect (WH 1 & 2 were quite popular at the time, unfortunately the last game received very little attention when it was released).

ACDC009shots.jpg

I couldn't believe it when I first played this game. It's a huge leap from any other other World Heroes game and became one of my go-to fighting games at Neo Geo gatherings for years.
Captain Kidd was a blast to play as and Rasputin trolling by landing secret garden lead to some pretty fun times. Mudman's back throw into super was similarly hilarious.

entremet

So Flying Power Disc (Windjammers) never came out anywhere outside Neo system?

Bummer. I would love to play it legitimately.

Celine

So Flying Power Disc (Windjammers) never came out anywhere outside Neo system?

Bummer. I would love to play it legitimately.
Neo Geo CD version should still be relatively affordable.
Got mine a year and half ago for a grand total of 12 euro.

Loading times are good, it plays fine on NGCD.

klee123

Considering getting a Framemeister for the AES and my other old systems like SNES/Mega Drive/Saturn etc.

Anyone play their Neo connected to it?

Ban Puncher

Did you get your AES modded or did you just stick to using the cables?

I've been reading that the Japanese 21 pin RGB is the way to go, might consider getting that.

I have two AES consoles, one modded and one vanilla, and I use a JP21 RGB cable for both.

Before I had the Framemeister I used a Micomsoft XNEO-1.

tzare

Depend on your patience and what fighting game you want to play.

Neo CD/CDZ is not very good, especially for KOF games since loads too often. Other games have long loading times but a bit more tolerable.

Btw, what would be the best emulator for neogeo fora very low end pc with win 10 ? i would like to put my neogeo to rest since i have not that much room : too many consoles with huge controllers :/

Heypoppy

Banned
What happened to the survey than SNKP made some time ago about what games people want in PSN?

Also, Sengoku 2 >>> Sengoku 3

The artstyle of 2 is superb
SENGOKU2--Sengoku%202%20%20Sengoku%20Denshou%202_Feb6%200_46_02.png

Top Bottom