• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HEY! C'MON C'MON: It's the Giga Powered Neo Geo Appreciation Thread

grendelrt

Yeah, the funny thing about AES is that despite that there are so many alternate methods to play these games, they don't affect the value at all.

If anything, it seems every time these games are re-released on modern consoles, the value of the original AES carts just go up......

Yeah it seems that once people play the re release they want the original cartridge. I am glad I have built up MVS collection now, because eventually they will be really expensive as well.

Teknoman

I think the only games I know I want still (MVS) are:

Mutation Nation
Last Resort
Pulstar
Blazing Star
Sengoku 2 or 3
Samurai Shodown 1 or 2
Real Bout Fatal Fury Special
Spinmasters
Magician Lord
King of the Monsters 2
Last Blade 2
Shock Troopers 1

Everything else i'm either not sure of or not aware of.

Maybe Metal Slug 4 for the hell of it...maybe.

grendelrt

I think the only games I know I want still (MVS) are:

Mutation Nation
Last Resort
Pulstar
Blazing Star
Sengoku 2 or 3
Samurai Shodown 1 or 2
Real Bout Fatal Fury Special
Spinmasters
Magician Lord
King of the Monsters 2
Last Blade 2
Shock Troopers 1

Everything else i'm either not sure of or not aware of.

Maybe Metal Slug 4 for the hell of it...maybe.

I just got Mutation Nation the other day. Such a unique title, the art is so awesome. I still haven't gotten Pulstar , I have lost it multiple times. Its becoming a rare beast. Sengoku 2 and 3 are pretty rare as well. Last Resort and Blazing Star are becoming rare, I see less of them popping up lately. I bought Last Resort over a year ago and the price has risen a bit since then.

Mercutio

It's absolutely ridiculous but if you're an AES collector you need to own one and know how to use it. Thanks bootleggers.

Yup, jeweler's loupe. I got mine from a supplier to jewelers in our jewelry district.

What's really funny is that the GBA on the low end of the spectrum has become kind of similar. And some of the new shells bootleggers make now are really good.

I had like a month where I was all "oh let's collect GBA" and then 3 of the 4 games I got from ebay were lousy fakes.

Yagami_Sama

Collecting AES games are getting harder.
Buy stuff from ebay is becoming a “russian roulette” game, mainly for rare games. Stuff from Spain, France and a for the first time I saw a lot of bootlegs from UK.

I have a few AES games, and I am still looking for some games, SamSho V, all Metal Slug , KOF 2003, Garou. The funniest part, when you ask the guys if it is a conversion / bootleg, the answer is almost “It’s from my collection, mint state”

Once I saw a store that if want they look for the game for you, and the prices was not that bad, so I decided to ask, id they could assure that I was paying from a legit item, not a conversion or bootleg, and this was the answer :

“We cannot assure that, because we have several retailers which sell stuff to us, so we need to pay to them and then sell to you, for that reason we don’t have such option to verify if the item is 100% legit”

Not that they are based on Japan.

Nowadays, is getting difficulty to find a good store in which you may rely.

Ban Puncher

A Metal Slug 2 AES came up on my radar today.

The cartridge looked like it had been used as a hockey puck on a driveway, water damaged instructions and sunfaded cover.

$1000+

bpbTa1h.gif

Peltz

What's really funny is that the GBA on the low end of the spectrum has become kind of similar. And some of the new shells bootleggers make now are really good.

I had like a month where I was all "oh let's collect GBA" and then 3 of the 4 games I got from ebay were lousy fakes.

That's pretty concerning. I suspect my Sword of Mana cart is a fake. It keeps freezing after a few minutes of play.

Teknoman

That's pretty concerning. I suspect my Sword of Mana cart is a fake. It keeps freezing after a few minutes of play.

Check the pins or whatever. If its got circle indents all over = fake. If they are only along the top of the pins = real.

I just got Mutation Nation the other day. Such a unique title, the art is so awesome. I still haven't gotten Pulstar , I have lost it multiple times. Its becoming a rare beast. Sengoku 2 and 3 are pretty rare as well. Last Resort and Blazing Star are becoming rare, I see less of them popping up lately. I bought Last Resort over a year ago and the price has risen a bit since then.

Yeah Mutation nation was a real nice example of a classic Neo Geo soundtrack. I'm not sure of the sound tech, but every Neo Geo game had a really unique punchy sound.

Stage 3 for example.

Mercutio

Pop it open. It's easy to tell when it's open, though they're even screen-printing "Nintendo" on the board itself.

The shells themselves are quite good though. You can kind of tell from the connector fingers inside though.

klee123

2 more recent purchases....

DSrdhY1.jpg

Got another 2 incoming.

Pretty much done with my gaming purchases for the rest of this year lol.

PadPoet

505 Games Ltd
I'm after a SSV Special. Price is pretty ridiculous at this point but that's not my main concern. My main concern is when you buy these high valued games if they are legit or not. So buying on ebay top dollar games like these is an absolute no go for me.

Bar81

I'm after a SSV Special. Price is pretty ridiculous at this point but that's not my main concern. My main concern is when you buy these high valued games if they are legit or not. So buying on ebay top dollar games like these is an absolute no go for me.

Buying anywhere without knowing how to personally determine authenticity should be a no go for anyone.

IrishNinja

okay, so man puncher made checking boards sound tricky, but...what's the problem here? ebay highly favors buyers these days, if you can assert it's a boot, reversing your $ through paypal isn't really hard

Ban Puncher

If memory serves there are different variants of the Samurai Showdown V Special/Samurai Spirits Zero Special AES cartridge too. First there is the initial release which was mistakenly censored, then there are cartridges that were recalled and corrected in a real back-room way with wires and shit soldered all over the boards that fixed the censorship but introduced new problems. Finally there are factory pressed fixed boards that still containing the previous issues.

The best situation is to find an unmodified first run cartridge and use the UniBIOS to unlock the censored fatalities whilst leaving the rest of the game untouched.

FUN TIMES HEY

SSV/SSVS wasn't really something people booted back in the day but I confess I haven't been keeping up with the game so it could be different these days.

okay, so man puncher made checking boards sound tricky, but...what's the problem here? ebay highly favors buyers these days, if you can assert it's a boot, reversing your $ through paypal isn't really hard

Irish makes an interesting point. I guess you could always get your AES titles off scumBay, check everything over with your jeweler's loupe and file a dispute if it turns out to be a bootleg to get your money back.

Then it makes you think of all the dirtbags who buy legit games online, dispute it and send back a boot in it's place fucking over the original seller.

The AES life is fraught with danger and peril.

klee123

Well, recently on Neo-Geo.com, the store had a mint English copy of SSV Special Unfixed for $3500USD. It got sold in less than a day......

Then again, paying the premium for a peace of mind for many collectors on the site makes it worth it.

If memory serves there are different variants of the Samurai Showdown V Special/Samurai Spirits Zero Special AES cartridge too. First there is the initial release which was mistakenly censored, then there are cartridges that were recalled and corrected in a real back-room way with wires and shit soldered all over the boards that fixed the censorship but introduced new problems. Finally there are factory pressed fixed boards that still containing the previous issues.

The best situation is to find an unmodified first run cartridge and use the UniBIOS to unlock the censored fatalities whilst leaving the rest of the game untouched.

I haven't heard of SSV boots and conversions are hard to do since the MVS versions are worth a ton too.

IrishNinja

Then it makes you think of all the dirtbags who buy legit games online, dispute it and send back a boot in it's place fucking over the original seller.

this is literally why i don't sell high price items on ebay anymore; got ripped a long time back , and ive seen friends get it worse with losing high-end video cards and such...ebay feels broken for sellers

Ban Puncher

Got a copy of Samurai Spirits 3 on AES today for reasonable money in okay condition on a whim but man is it getting hard to find stuff for a sensible price these days.

It's all way over-priced stuff in shit condition (aka eBay 'MINT!!!') or smelly boots.

I might do KOF 2003 as my last big buy then go dormant on AES collecting again.

Today I decided to patch my Metal Slug 2 mvs cart with the "turbo" fix. Since my cart shell is translucent I figured it would be helpful to have a nice label on the P1 rom so that it's obvious the cart has been patched. :)

metalslug2turbo.jpg

Teknoman

Im still looking for Spinmasters, Sengoku 2 or 3, Magician Lord, Ninja Commando, Mutation Nation, Pulstar/Blazing Star, and Crossed Swords on MVS. One day. Still iffy on Metal Slug 4. Maybe Zed Blade and like one Aero Fighters game.

Btw are there any core Neo Geo fighting series (KoF, AoF, etc) that never got a 100% accurate port eventually?

Not core Neo games, but I don't think the Breakers games got ported, of course the sequel didn't even get a home cart release.

Other fighting games I can think of Far East of Eden (Kabuki Klash), Kizuna Encounter (the first game savage reign was ported). 3 Bout Count, Rage of the Dragons.

Ban Puncher

Any re-release of KOF 01 and 02 won't have K9999 in it, instead replaced with Nameless, because current day SNK does not fancy having to go to Neo Tokyo court.

Teknoman

I just like the color schemes of the levels and the bosses better in MS2. Everything just seems to fit better. Also the extra sounds that MSX added to the stage themes seems a lil much.

DSrdhY1.jpg

Got another 2 incoming.

I'm not one to be jealous about much of anything. But, yea... I'm jealous right now. Look at that KoF 98 box. So... beautiful...

[EDIT: I'm an idiot, that's The Last Blade 2. I thought it was The Last Blade [1], but I should've paid closer attention to the blond Kaede. So I'm extra jealous now.]

Great purchases, friend :)

klee123

I'm not one to be jealous about much of anything. But, yea... I'm jealous right now. Look at that KoF 98 box. So... beautiful...

[EDIT: I'm an idiot, that's The Last Blade 2. I thought it was The Last Blade [1], but I should've paid closer attention to the blond Kaede. So I'm extra jealous now.]

Great purchases, friend :)

Thanks for that!

Yeah, LB2 is pretty much one of my favorite fighters so for me it was worth every cent.

DSrdhY1.jpg

Got another 2 incoming.

I love that cover for '98. Its pretty much my favourite fighter ever, right up there with my favourite Capcom fighters. Awesome music, almost perfect roster, and amazing gameplay.

I'm really into the KOF series at the moment, which has caused me to want to track down the AES titles. I already had '94 and '98 and is grabbing the games chronologically.
I managed to grab '95 for a fairly decent price, spent a nice portion of last week playing it (and getting beaten by Omega Rugal). I much prefer '95 to '94, I don't miss the sports team, edit teams are a great addition and including Eiji and Billy was an awesome move (love both the characters).
Can't wait to track down KOF '96, musically its one of my favourite games in the series and it has my favourite KOF team included (boss team, with my favourite character - Geese).

Ban Puncher

Knew a place that had a shitty condition Last Blade AES for ¥25000 on sale about a month ago.

Find out today that the store is now selling the same copy for ¥35000.

2816916-akari-sm.gif

Teknoman

Making my total of MVS carts 4.. The King of the Monsters 2!

Damn is this game as fun as I remember it. I still dont understand the grapple system though...or the bonus game.

Top Bottom