• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HEY! C'MON C'MON: It's the Giga Powered Neo Geo Appreciation Thread

Bar81

Darksoft is working on a flash cart now. Still no full details, will be expensive though. I have his cps2 kit, was worth the money for me.

He's going to be using the hacked messed up unecncrypted ROMs the current XXX n 1 carts are using instead of properly designing a cart that plays the encrypted original ROMs. It's a joke and $350 to boot with 35 second load times.

Ban Puncher

$350 to boot with 35 second load times.

4883466-thiorilaugh.gif

So I haven't touched my NG AES in ages because of being busy, life, other games etc. In December I got an XRGB mini and some RGB cables. Hooking up my AES I noticed some weird issues with most of my MVS games. My 1 AES game works perfectly, as does my MVS of KoF '94. All of my other MVS games don't. So basically every game has like white bars coming down the area's of the sprite that should be transparent. I've cleaned the FUCK out of all of the MVS carts. Cleaned the connectors on my Phantom 1 converter, and even the slots of the Phantom 1. I don't think the connectors on my AES are the problem. The person I bought my Neo from had just had them replaced before I bought it. Since then it definitely hasn't been used enough to wear them down, and they're still INSANELY tight when putting a game in or taking it out.

Any thoughts? Should I try metal contact cleaner like deoxit on the MVS carts?

klee123

I love that cover for '98. Its pretty much my favourite fighter ever, right up there with my favourite Capcom fighters. Awesome music, almost perfect roster, and amazing gameplay.

I'm really into the KOF series at the moment, which has caused me to want to track down the AES titles. I already had '94 and '98 and is grabbing the games chronologically.
I managed to grab '95 for a fairly decent price, spent a nice portion of last week playing it (and getting beaten by Omega Rugal). I much prefer '95 to '94, I don't miss the sports team, edit teams are a great addition and including Eiji and Billy was an awesome move (love both the characters).
Can't wait to track down KOF '96, musically its one of my favourite games in the series and it has my favourite KOF team included (boss team, with my favourite character - Geese).

Yeah, personally KOF 96-98 are my personal favorites. I'm personally not a huge fan of the Nests saga in comparison.

Good thing about KOF on AES is that besides 2K3, the majority of the games are still in the realm of being affordable(for AES standards lol). However, it seems everything AES has been creeping up in price lately, so it's best to get them asap.

Ban Puncher

I need to make it a priority to get KoF 2003 AES before 10% import tax hits Australia after June.

And with my KoF library finally complete it might be time to bow out of active AES collecting.

Peltz

I need to make it a priority to get KoF 2003 AES before 10% import tax hits Australia after June.

And with my KoF library finally complete it might be time to bow out of active AES collecting.

Any pics of your AES collection? It sounds amazing considering I'll probably never own a single AES game.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So apparently, if you run a Neo Geo CD game in an emulator, it'll eliminate the load times.

I am going to build a collection now because of that.

klee123

It's worth doing for all the games which are superior to the AES versions in terms of features.

Not to mention that a lot of the CD versions have the AST.

I've heard that there is a NG CD emulator for the Dreamcast which could be quite handy.

Danny Dudekisser

Rip your discs and play the ISO through the emulator, eliminating wear and tear on your valuable collection.

Yeah, that'd be the plan.

I really like the extra features and ASTs that a lot of these games have. In some cases, I'd probably still want to have the cart, as well, but yeah. This changes *everything*.

How accurate are NG emulators these days, anyway? Like, for CD games? I haven't really bothered since the NeoRageX days.

Danny Dudekisser

In addition to deciding I want to start buying NGCD games, I'm also thinking about buying an Analogue CMVS. Is this a good idea?

IrishNinja

^fuck that Omega's sexy

He's going to be using the hacked messed up unecncrypted ROMs the current XXX n 1 carts are using instead of properly designing a cart that plays the encrypted original ROMs. It's a joke and $350 to boot with 35 second load times.

just saw this...jesus, why

krkzz explained that due to custom chips (i wanna say?), a neo geo everdrive would be stupid-expensive and have questionable compatibility, but that it'd be feasible if someone else wanted to do it

me, i'm just gonna wait & see how that kevtris FPGA/cycle perfect emulator project turns out, if he ever gets back to it

Teknoman

I can vouch for Omega. Nice looking, mimics the AES, and havent had any issues with it. Bought mine used on top of that, so its a quality product.

Danny Dudekisser

Huh... yeah, the Omega looks pretty nice. Would it be safe to assume that if I went with that, I'd be getting the best possible video and audio quality out of the Neo Geo? Like, it's RGB, obviously, but the encoder itself is on point?

I've gotta say, it's exciting to finally, FINALLY be in the market for some real Neo Geo hardware. I've had this Metal Slug cart sitting here for like... 7 years, from back when I first thought I was going to put together some baller supergun setup. It's probably about time for me to make good on that.

Bar81

^fuck that Omega's sexy

It's trying too hard to be an AES system.

just saw this...jesus, why

krkzz explained that due to custom chips (i wanna say?), a neo geo everdrive would be stupid-expensive and have questionable compatibility, but that it'd be feasible if someone else wanted to do it

me, i'm just gonna wait & see how that kevtris FPGA/cycle perfect emulator project turns out, if he ever gets back to it

Apparently enough people told him how dumb his idea is that it looks like he's going back to the drawing board.

Heero5

Just joined the world of MVS last month! Basically I'm going for games I used to play on the big reds. So far my collection begins and ends at Metal Slug 2 and an MV1-F.

klee123

How much does a CMVS go for nowadays?

AES is just getting way too unaffordable with even common games like Last Blade 1 goes for around 300 USD which is just nuts.

On a unrelated note, does anyone know if there's any console version for Capcom's CPS2 board?

AmyS

Magician Lord and NAM-1975 preview from EGM issue #10 (May 1990) before it was decided NEO GEO would be sold at retail in the U.S.

GtNjYJ2.jpg

That's when I knew I wanted to have one, if at all possible.

My memory is a bit fuzzy on this but I think I remember in early 1991 a Gamer's Paradise store in Deerbrook Mall in Deerfield, Illinois had AES systems and games for rent. I clearly remember seeing NEO GEO at Babbage's stores.
I looked at the boxes for Alpha Mission II, Cyber Lip and Ghost Pilots. What a time!

Edit:

Lets look at the Neo Geo from the perspective of U.S. print magazine coverage in 1990.

Electronic Gaming Monthly - Video Games & Computer Entertainment - GamePro - Game Informer.

IrishNinja

It's trying too hard to be an AES system.

that's precisely the point though - i've found the AES' aesthetic dead sexy since those classic gaming mags had that ripoff contest to win one with a big CRTV & stereo in the day

seriously, an MVS with an AES shell & unibios and i'm done

Apparently enough people told him how dumb his idea is that it looks like he's going back to the drawing board.

was wondering what happened to the project's momentum - is that over at assembler, i imagine? i was following at atariage but it's been a minute. and what was pointed out as dumb, i was happy for a cycle-accurate neo-geo/early MAME emulator thing

Someone just build an affordable MVS > AES converter that isn't complete dogshit.

i know on the NG boards there was talk of a decent one kickstarted a while back? no idea how that panned out...me, i'd also love a multicart of some kind that wasn't said to be dogshit as well

Ban Puncher

You know what I'd like? A cartridge slot extender for the AES so I don't have to slide my games through the factory slot and scuff up the cartridges.

This fucking system, man.

Vitacat

yeah, still using NeoRageX here myself...is there a better one? recall that being pretty good for most stuff i threw at it

Holy cow... people still use that ancient emu? You're not getting accurate graphics or sound with that. Just about anything is better -- MAME is extremely accurate. FinalBurn Alpha is also very good IIRC. Be sure to download new versions and be prepared for your ROMs to need updates as well.

klee123

I don't think he's currently making them though, so you'll have to just get on the waiting list and sit tight.
like me

Yeah, just sent him an e-mail to be put onto the list.

My copy of AVP is sitting here just dying to get played and quite frankly, I'm not too thrilled to get into the supergun route.

You know what I'd like? A cartridge slot extender for the AES so I don't have to slide my games through the factory slot and scuff up the cartridges.

This fucking system, man.

I wouldn't be surprised if some people on NG.com just keep their AES copies of the more expensive games as shelf queens and just use the MVS versions for actual playing.

Bar81

I wouldn't be surprised if some people on NG.com just keep their AES copies of the more expensive games as shelf queens and just use the MVS versions for actual playing.

Welcome to five years ago dude.

Edit: SHELF QUEEN FO LIFE :p

yRinp5sbGhjAO0wuMpMKHe7Tglbgqq7eY0zFdlBa3oIL6XmEXFiIsnl3t3QflCsAH_xDow=s165

Bar81

...and im here complainin about $100 saturn games, shit

i don't got the heart for the AES game, much respect tho

It's honestly not worth it. SUPER low print runs on some of the best games, retarded prices and bootlegging that requires you to have a jeweler's masters degree to tell real from fake.

Ban Puncher

It's honestly not worth it. SUPER low print runs on some of the best games, retarded prices and bootlegging that requires you to have a jeweler's masters degree to tell real from fake.

I didn't choose the AES Life. The AES Life chose me.

One or two more titles and then I am out. AES collecting just isn't fun any more.

IrishNinja

i hear ya, but ya'll stay shelf queenin', haha
seriously, i wish there was a feasible way to dive into that library on OG hardware

One or two more titles and then I am out. AES collecting just isn't fun any more.

hard to picture an ideal time, but i'm guessing before boots took off?

Ban Puncher

Damn and that's 2 years ago.......

AES prices have skyrocketed in the last 2 years, so I'd imagine it'd be much higher now.

Same with your BTG, M Slug 2 and Blazing star too.

Your paying $6000+ easy for Metal Slug on AES today. And it is the most commonly bootlegged game so dropping large sums on a copy is even more frightening. And now you have the fucking bootlegs themselves of certain games going for hundreds of dollars. Shit is insane.

hard to picture an ideal time, but i'm guessing before boots took off?

Early 2000's to around late 2000's/early 2010's was the time to build a collection. Minimal boots and only a small percentage of games commanded silly prices. Now days most everything is expensive, even games you used to be able to walk out of a store in Japan with at 2 bucks a pop and in mint condition are now nearing triple figures in shitty eBay 'mint condition'.

Collecting for the AES can seriously get stressful at times. And that is when collecting isn't fun any more.

klee123

Your paying $6000+ easy for Metal Slug on AES today. And it is the most commonly bootlegged game so dropping large sums on a copy is even more frightening. And now you have the fucking bootlegs themselves of certain games going for hundreds of dollars. Shit is insane.

Yeah, if I were to buy the game, I'd have to buy it in person and demand the seller to open the cart in front of me to ensure the boards are legit.

There's no way I'd buy it online.

Peltz

Early 2000's to around late 2000's/early 2010's was the time to build a collection. Minimal boots and only a small percentage of games commanded silly prices. Now days most everything is expensive, even games you used to be able to walk out of a store in Japan with at 2 bucks a pop and in mint condition are now nearing triple figures in shitty eBay 'mint condition'.

Collecting for the AES can seriously get stressful at times. And that is when collecting isn't fun any more.

6 thousand bucks for a used video game.

I'll truly never be able to afford AES :'(

Ban Puncher

Always keep an eye out though.

Sometimes you can get yourself an absolute bargain.

It's that flicker of hope that keeps pulling me back in.

Bar81

Yeah, if I were to buy the game, I'd have to buy it in person and demand the seller to open the cart in front of me to ensure the boards are legit.

There's no way I'd buy it online.

That's a pipe dream. Don't get me wrong I would love that option but highly unlikely. For example, I had a $5k bounty on BTG (my favorite Neo game and the last one to complete my collection) open for forever (something like 6 months or a year without a bite). Finally, a guy gets in touch and says he has one but he'll only deal in cash (don't blame him as I would do the same). So we had to dance for a week or so to confirm each other's bonafides (we are both long time Neo Geo members, gave work and personal contact and had a phone call to the work number). At that point I have some comfort but not enough for a $5k transfer. He agrees that I wire $1k to him to cover the cost he paid 10 years ago for the game and once I confirm legitimacy when it's in my hands I wire the balance of $4k to him. A pretty sizeable risk on both ends but we both kept our word and I finished my collection and he got mad $$$. That's AES.

klee123

That's a pipe dream. Don't get me wrong I would love that option but highly unlikely. For example, I had a $5k bounty on BTG (my favorite Neo game and the last one to complete my collection) open for forever (something like 6 months or a year without a bite). Finally, a guy gets in touch and says he has one but he'll only deal in cash (don't blame him as I would do the same). So we had to dance for a week or so to confirm each other's bonafides (we are both long time Neo Geo members, gave work and personal contact and had a phone call to the work number). At that point I have some comfort but not enough for a $5k transfer. He agrees that I wire $1k to him to cover the cost he paid 10 years ago for the game and once I confirm legitimacy when it's in my hands I wire the balance of $4k to him. A pretty sizeable risk on both ends but we both kept our word and I finished my collection and he got mad $$$. That's AES.

Yeah, that is risky as fuck.

Still, glad everything worked out on your end.

I'd like to get my hands on BTG/NTM as well, but I think either a converter or a CMVS for the MVS version will suffice.

Bar81

Damn and that's 2 years ago.......

AES prices have skyrocketed in the last 2 years, so I'd imagine it'd be much higher now.

Same with your BTG, M Slug 2 and Blazing star too.

Yup, it's now completely OOC. MS2 is a really weird one. You couldn't give away mint copies for $800 3 years ago when I got back in the scene and now it's doubled in price or more and nowhere to be found.

Yeah, that is risky as fuck.

Still, glad everything worked out on your end.

I'd like to get my hands on BTG/NTM as well, but I think either a converter or a CMVS for the MVS version will suffice.

I was definitely sweating and no way if the dude was from France, Italy, Japan, etc. He was from home (US) and that helped a lot.

Ban Puncher

Yup, it's now completely OOC. MS2 is a really weird one. You couldn't give away mint copies for $800 3 years ago when I got back in the scene and now it's doubled in price or more and nowhere to be found.

Remember when copies of MS4 were $200? Now they are $1k+.

I don't feel bad for missing the boat on that one though because that game is terrible.

Bar81

Remember when copies of MS4 were $200? Now they are $1k+.

I don't feel bad for missing the boat on that one though because that game is terrible.

I wouldn't take it if someone paid me $1k to take it off their hands. Anyway, anything after 3 is dirty. That's probably the saddest thing about the Neo - the prices the utter shit games in its library command now.

Ban Puncher

I wouldn't take it if someone paid me $1k to take it off their hands. Anyway, anything after 3 is dirty. That's probably the saddest thing about the Neo - the prices the utter shit games in its library command now.

Remember when you get get mint copies of Samurai Spirits 2 for 200 yen a pop?

0gVyW.gif

I wish I had bought into the Neo when games were cheaper. I actually had the chance to get some AES stuff back in 2003ish and I passed because I didn't want to spend the cash then. Now that stuff is like 5 - 10x the price. Wish I could figure out what's going on with my Phantom I converter too so that playing MVS games worked fine.

Top Bottom