• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HEY! C'MON C'MON: It's the Giga Powered Neo Geo Appreciation Thread

Seik

Banned
nice thread. now i can post my most valuable gaming items.

1391950_10202175348047836_298433062_n.jpg

i bought all these AES games in 10 months. 20.000 euros of gaming in 4 shelves.
they are all original, including metal slug 1 and neo turf master. whops, neo turf master is not present in the picture. i'll make another one soon

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn.

Mad respect.

Celine

Awesome thread.
A pity it died out so fast.

Is Neo Geo CD region free?

What are the games with bearable (10-15 seconds top and not too frequent) loading time?
Any fighting game?

In before "The future is ... now loading".

Teknoman

Awesome thread.
A pity it died out so fast.

Is Neo Geo CD region free?

What are the games with bearable (10-15 seconds top and not too frequent) loading time?
Any fighting game?

In before "The future is ... now loading".

The older fighters seem more bearable imo. I have no problems with SS2 and FF3 once they've been played once or twice. System is region free I believe.

i used to have all the CD systems and the AES. the home cartridges are pretty much the best thing ever. i wish games were still like that. would have loved to see Samurai Spirits RPG in a big beautiful snap case, with a manual and gorgeous home cartridge format, in english. i played it in japanese and it's actually a fun little RPG.

Im still mad the full fan translation wasnt released due to some community bickering.

Mikhal

Yeah. Neo CDs are region free. The console's region determines the game's region like the carts, I believe.

As for games that load fast, I suggest looking at the Meg count of the game. The ones that are smaller will have less loading. I believe the Neo Geo CD has a 56 meg cache (larger on the CDZ) so most games around that or lower will have no loading after the initial load.

Here's some helpful links with the Meg count and some load times:
http://www.neo-geo.com/snk/masterlist.htm
http://www.egameaddiction.com/neogeocd/loadtimes.html

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Metal Slug, Samurai Showdown and WindJammers. All day ery day.

I remember as a young impressionable 11 or 12 year old at the arcade with my friends playing one of the Samurai Showdowns for the first time and falling in love. The first time you cut a sumbitch in half and dat slomo kicks in?
Fucking perfection.

I will never understand why modern fighters didn't gank this small touch and spread it around the entire fighter world. So many conversations with my friends about how much better Dead or Alive would have been if over the course of a match you got bruised, bloodied, torn shirts and pants, losing shoes and hair ties... basically just getting worked the hell over. Then - if you were brought down to under say 5% of your health and your opponent was able to pull off a grab or power strike that did more than 15% damage to your health bar- a special animation of that move would kick off where instead of just yanking the armbar hard and moving on you actually tore the bitch off. Twist the head all the way backwards. Literally kicked someones jaw off of their face. the possibilities are endless!

baphomet

Just wanted to post this now that I've finished it up. My consolized MV1C with unibios 3.1 installed. It's ghetto compared to stuff like the Omega, but it ended up costing about 1/6th the price and works perfectly. Takes standard Neo Geo controllers, outputs RGB, MVS stereo, and would still work in a Jamma cabinet should I ever decide to put it in one. I'm happy with how it turned out, and now I just need to get some games for it. So far I only have King of Fighters 99, World Heroes 2 Jet, and coming in the mail Samurai Shodown, Bust-a-Move, and Metal Slug 2. Girlfriend loves Bust-a-Move and the Metal Slug games so it's just as much for her as it is for myself.

Now that it's finished moving on to consolizing my CPS2 A board.

Teknoman

Metal Slug, Samurai Showdown and WindJammers. All day ery day.

I remember as a young impressionable 11 or 12 year old at the arcade with my friends playing one of the Samurai Showdowns for the first time and falling in love. The first time you cut a sumbitch in half and dat slomo kicks in?
Fucking perfection.

I will never understand why modern fighters didn't gank this small touch and spread it around the entire fighter world. So many conversations with my friends about how much better Dead or Alive would have been if over the course of a match you got bruised, bloodied, torn shirts and pants, losing shoes and hair ties... basically just getting worked the hell over. Then - if you were brought down to under say 5% of your health and your opponent was able to pull off a grab or power strike that did more than 15% damage to your health bar- a special animation of that move would kick off where instead of just yanking the armbar hard and moving on you actually tore the bitch off. Twist the head all the way backwards. Literally kicked someones jaw off of their face. the possibilities are endless!

I like your train of thought.

Fox Mulder

Just wanted to post this now that I've finished it up. My consolized MV1C with unibios 3.1 installed. It's ghetto compared to stuff like the Omega, but it ended up costing about 1/6th the price and works perfectly. Takes standard Neo Geo controllers, outputs RGB, MVS stereo, and would still work in a Jamma cabinet should I ever decide to put it in one. I'm happy with how it turned out, and now I just need to get some games for it. So far I only have King of Fighters 99, World Heroes 2 Jet, and coming in the mail Samurai Shodown, Bust-a-Move, and Metal Slug 2. Girlfriend loves Bust-a-Move and the Metal Slug games so it's just as much for her as it is for myself.

how hard is that to do? I'm interested in getting a neogeo since I got found a big Sony pvm a few months ago. A neogeo would fit right in with that beauty.

I'm looking at an omega, but wouldn't be opposed to saving money doing some handy work.

baphomet

how hard is that to do? I'm interested in getting a neogeo since I got found a big Sony pvm a few months ago. A neogeo would fit right in with that beauty.

I'm looking at an omega, but wouldn't be opposed to saving money doing some handy work.

Depends on your skill level i guess. Its by no means the hardest thing ive done, but its more time consuming than most. Basically its just finding the jamma pinout and wiring everything where it goes. I didnt want wires coming off from the entire edge so i found the points on the bottom of the board away from the jamma edge and used those for everything except the rgbs signals. Theyre on the bottom too, but i didnt have a fiberglass pen handy to scratch away the points. The hardest part is making all the holes for the ports and fitting everything. Its a really small piece of hardware.

woodypop

Amaze. O_O

(How much would you charge for such a job? ^_^)

baphomet

Amaze. O_O

(How much would you charge for such a job? ^_^)

Probably like $100 and you buy the mv1c board and ship it to me ($60-100). You would also need a suitable power supply which i could point you in the direction of. The other odds and ends stuff like the unibios and adapter would be up to you if you wanted those. They can be made without them, but they give you a lot more options overall. Both of those are roughly $40 together. That should give a pretty good idea.

baphomet

These showed up in the mail today. The one without the label is a Puzzle Bobble boot. I got it for really cheap so i don't mind it being a boot as i'll replace it with a legit one in the near future. The other 2 are legit carts. The metal slug label is dirty as hell, but thankfully these are for playing and not looks.

baphomet

^so awesome...how do they play?

Beautifully, lol. They play as perfect as they possibly could. The unibios is pretty awesome stuff. Being able to switch them to the AES versions from any region is pretty cool. Also has a really cool cheat menu as well. Metal Slug just doesn't feel like it should with the white blood.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Bought an AES unit back in '93. Set me back a good $400 (used) and came with memory card, two controllers, Magician Lord and Fatal Fury. Essentially the Gold package but with an extra game.
The absolute coolest thing was when Samurai Shodown was red hot in the arcades, I had it in my bedroom. LOVED that game, and managed to complete it with every character.
I wound up buying a few more games but the prices were just too much. OP definitely cherry picked the cream of the crop to show off, and honestly I found that level of quality to be the exception, not the norm.
While games like Last Blade 2 and Sengoku 3 might have Neo fans hyped, for me the biggest surprises were League Bowling and Nam '75. Two games that exceeded my expectations.
It would be nice if we could get a decent collection disc on current consoles. The last one on Wii and PS2 was eh.

outsidah

I'm back in the Neo mix:

7LMgBEH.jpg

Unfortunately the pad I bought to go along with my Omega is busted so I can't quite enjoy it like I planned :( Anyone got a pad/stick for sale?

OP - curious as to why you thought AOF3 and RBFF are better on the Neo CD? Just the soundtracks or something else?

5amshift

Banned
I have been an MVS 2-slot owner for about 3 years now and I absolutely love it. I have about 4 common games including the 161-in-1. I want to keep a growing collection, but the prices are just ridiculous right now for me.

baphomet

Good luck finding a pad for cheap. The best deal I came across was $50 shipped for the kidney bean stick from some guy on eBay. If you want I can look up the seller for you. What's wrong with the pad? If it's just not registering directions or something I may be interested in buying it from you.

I'm back in the Neo mix:

7LMgBEH.jpg

Unfortunately the pad I bought to go along with my Omega is busted so I can't quite enjoy it like I planned :( Anyone got a pad/stick for sale?

OP - curious as to why you thought AOF3 and RBFF are better on the Neo CD? Just the soundtracks or something else?

outsidah

Good luck finding a pad for cheap. The best deal I came across was $50 shipped for the kidney bean stick from some guy on eBay. If you want I can look up the seller for you. What's wrong with the pad? If it's just not registering directions or something I may be interested in buying it from you.

Pad won't register down + left. If you happen to have the seller I'd appreciate it (in particular if the seller is in the US since I'd really like to get to play sometime soon.

I contacted the seller to see if he can sort something out for me (he sells/mods Neo stuff) so hopefully he can take care of me with the pad. If not I'll let you know what's up.

damn, that Omega looks sexy - what kinda deal you get on it?

Thanks - bit the bullet and paid full price on this one.

It sucks, I'm an MVS owner, 1-slot, but I don't have the know how to get all the buttons working correctly on my cabinet. I have a cabinet that's wired for 6 button play and has a kick harness. In the end I only get about 3 buttons and the start button working on the 1p side and nothing else, and all the diagrams I've read don't seem very straightforward about how to hook up the D button.

baphomet

The D button for player 1 is 25 on the jamma harness. Player 2 is "c" on the harness.

Unless your harness was specifically wired for neo geo, you probably dont even have a connection wired to those 2 pins. Easy fix is just to check the harness, add the wire, and run it to button D.

The D button for player 1 is 25 on the jamma harness. Player 2 is "c" on the harness.

Unless your harness was specifically wired for neo geo, you probably dont even have a conmection wired to those 2 pins.

True. My harness is wired for normal Jamma play and then I have the kick harness for my CPS2 stuff. I really need to get an extender and some proper wires. I now curse having an MK2 cabinet instead of a Japanese cabinet in some ways now.

outsidah

I'm back in the Neo mix:

7LMgBEH.jpg

Looking forward to impressions on the Omega. What was the price?

IrishNinja

^i fully intend to! ive read on NG forum that they're not always known for compatibility on every title, so i did intend to research them before getting one down the road (they've got a good thread on them about). honestly that was looking to be my first MVS purchase unless i came across some good deals up front

baphomet

Yea ive got a 161 in 1. For the price you cant really go wrong. Sure there are a couple of issues ive noticed and half the games are just hacked versions you cant remove from the menu, but the majority of whats there works perfectly. I can tell no difference between my actual mvs carts and the multicart. If they would just make one that was all the actual games released and 0 hacks, i would buy it in a heartbeat. Until then im just looking for a copy of windjammers.

outsidah

Yea ive got a 161 in 1. For the price you cant really go wrong. Sure there are a couple of issues ive noticed and half the games are just hacked versions you cant remove from the menu, but the majority of whats there works perfectly. I can tell no difference between my actual mvs carts and the multicart. If they would just make one that was all the actual games released and 0 hacks, i would buy it in a heartbeat. Until then im just looking for a copy of windjammers.

Agreed - it's worth keeping around just for the simplicity of not digging out all of your carts. It would have been really nice if they would have alphabetized the game titles as well.

I've been buying Neo Geo games on the Wii VC and playing them with the Neo Geo Stick 2. Is it the same experience as playing it on a real neo geo or no? If not what is the best way to play Neo Geo games in 2014?

around Xmas time I bit for an Omega. GOOD GOD. It is simply amazing. I've been using a 27" Sharp with component for now and I couldn't be more impressed with the picture quality as compared to composite and even S-Video. Since buying the Omega I have also picked up:

Metal Slug
Metal Slug X (kit, non-matching serials, just missing the two large instruction sheets)
Metal Slug 2 (complete kit, matching serials)
Metal Slug 3 (complete kit, matching serials)

I've also had KoF '98 and '02 carts for a while as well. Between MS3 and '98, I've had no shortage of Neo goodness these past couple of weeks. The hunt for Garou, Last Blade 2, and SS5S begins. I was checking out a few listings for SvC and didn't realize how much people were shelling out for complete kits; averaging around close to 300 USD. I also missed a chance to scoop a Fatal Fury Special complete US kit. Went for like 250.

so get this: a week ago I scored 5 (FIVE) working Sony PVM-2530s from this dude for the price of 0 (ZERO) USD. I hooked one up last night to the Omega. I almost cried. I just need to figure out how I'm gonna work around the sound. They come with preamps and stereo speaker out, 8-16 ohm impedance required, but I guess I could just break out the audio and use whatever system. The other cool thing about them is they can loop video using BNC from the looks of it. One of my main goals with these was to get a H2H setup for my superguns.

I'll try to get some pics taken. If there's a dedicated supergun/arcade PCB thread, I'll try bumping that. Seibu SPI stuff is also flying in soon.

Quick question for multi-slot MVS people.

I used to have a two slot in my US MVS cab. Now I've got a standard JAMMA cab and I can't for the life of me remember what happens when you put a multi slot board in a JAMMA cab. I have the little MVS > JAMMA converter I bought back in the day. How is game switching handled? I'm asking because I was thinking about picking up a four slot board at some point.

Here's a pic of my cab just for fun. It's a Jaleco Pony Mk. IV and I think it looks pretty cool opened up.

Teknoman

Analogue Interactive products sure do take a long time to arrive (or i'm just impatient).

Bought two Neo Geo Controller extension cables December 8th, and they still haven't arrived...

Does say ships 6-8 weeks though.

Teknoman

where from? I got a pair of 3rd party ones off an eBay seller in HK, got here real quick.

unless you have a disposable income, go CMVS dawg.

Speaking CMVS, what would be the going price on a well made system?

Thinking about just selling my Neo geo Cd and the games, just switch out for a CMVS.

Yes Boss!

Speaking CMVS, what would be the going price on a well made system?

Thinking about just selling my Neo geo Cd and the games, just switch out for a CMVS.

$400+ it seems.

I really could not justify an AES myself. Just far too much money (on the game side) and it is difficult to find AES sticks in decent shape.

I keep eyeing the Analogue one but even that is about $700 with a Nam-1975 MVS. Not ballsy enough to pull the trigger. Omega is quite a bit cheaper but still pretty heavy price-wise.

Teknoman

Yeah its really hard to justify off the cuff. 300 or so, i could see. But then again thats why id be attempting a somewhat swap. AES is way too much unless you get lucky.

Would be nice if i could get my NGCD gutted and modded lol.

Here's my home system collection. I've been debating selling it for a long time. I guess if I ever get a CMVS I'll want to hang on to these sticks. It's not in the picture but I also have the first run of the NeoSaveMasta memory card.

Top Bottom