• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HEY! C'MON C'MON: It's the Giga Powered Neo Geo Appreciation Thread

spoonman

Banned
Neo•Geo Station on the PS3/PSP/PS Vita was produced by the awesome wizards at M2 (Sega Vintage Collection, 3D Sonic, etc on 3DS, Capcom Arcade Cabinet). It's a shame Playmore/SNK stopped releasing for it after only 16 games. Even though I own the AES I still bought them just to play online, use the cool music jukebox with spectrum analyzer, record movies, and overclock the Metal Slugs to eliminate slowdown.

It looks incredible on both the Vita and a large HD display thanks to the scanline emulation and pixel perfect 1:1 output.
Here are some samples (keep in mind they look 100x better on screen)

36315_423359554378020_286941766_n.jpg

581558_423359637711345_1210980173_n.jpg

556152_426028277444481_2069576102_n.jpg

541096_423359854377990_1234222652_n.jpg

Line-up
Alpha Mission II
Art of Fighting
Baseball Stars Professional
Baseball Stars 2
Fatal Fury
League Bowling
Magician Lord
Metal Slug
Metal Slug 2
Samurai Shodown
The King of Fighters ’94
The King of Fighters ’95
The King of Fighters ’96
Shock Troopers
Super Sidekicks
World Heroes

If they could update NGS to be Cross-Buy between the PS3/PS4/PSVita, charge $5 per game, add an MVS/AES switch, and add extras like Capcom Arcade Cabinet has (flyer scans, miscellaneous artwork), and release more games, I think it would do well.

gunstarhero

Whats the consensus on the 151 in 1 MVS carts?

I have one - plus Nam 1975, Cyberlip, and Windjammers - but was never sure if the emulation is close to originals since the other games I own don't appear on the multicart.

Anyone ever do some comparisons?

robot

Whats the consensus on the 151 in 1 MVS carts?

I have one - plus Nam 1975, Cyberlip, and Windjammers - but was never sure if the emulation is close to originals since the other games I own don't appear on the multicart.

Anyone ever do some comparisons?

hey c'mon ova for dinnaaaaaa!

there are known glitches & occasional freezes w/ multicarts, but they're pretty solid compared to other jamma multiboards. if there are some titles on there you really like, you're better off tracking down the original MVS...or borrow it from me ya son of a bitch!

ascii42

Thanks for this. What exactly is wrong with the Wii Version of Metal Slug Anthology? I heard the PS2 version has stupid loading times and slow down but I thought that was improved upon greatly in the Wii Version?

I don't remember having much in the way of problems with the PS2 version, though I could pop it in again and check. Gives me an excuse to play again, not that I need one.

I've been thinking about picking up the PS2 version of Samurai Shodown Anthology. Can anyone speak to the quality of that version?

Yes Boss!

Yeah,

Definitely seems weird. Watching it as well. Guess it is on the framemeister side if it was on the 4-Slot. Just gotta fiddle with those settings.

gunstarhero

hey c'mon ova for dinnaaaaaa!

there are known glitches & occasional freezes w/ multicarts, but they're pretty solid compared to other jamma multiboards. if there are some titles on there you really like, you're better off tracking down the original MVS...or borrow it from me ya son of a bitch!

My windjammers cart looks like it was tossed around between G. Scott and Wessel.

antibolo

Banned
So I'm thinking into getting into Neo Geo hardware. It is pretty much the only remaining platform I care about that is missing in my retro collection.

What is the best/cheapest consolized MVS solution out there? The only output format I care about is RGB (for plugging into a Sony PVM), preferably something that can take SCART out of the box. Unibios already modded in would also be a requirement. It doesn't have to look fancy or anything, I can also go for supergun-based solutions if they're cheaper.

I have also looked into the Neo Geo CD but was not impressed by the library, too many must-have games are missing, so I'm not considering it. And as is mentioned in the OP the AES is just not worth it because of how expensive the games are.

Interview went great! about 60 minutes of Neo Geo love and the history behind the Omega. Really interesting stuff! Look for it mid week on the website and iTunes feed.

Teknoman

Well they are considered piracy so dont flaunt it too much around here.

Gameplaywise should be ok, some games out of the 161 might not boot up at all. Half of the contents are fun Rainbow Editions of fighting games that are good for tournament play :p

whoah, you got an Omega + multicart? damn that's a good find right there

Yeah it was a bundle on neo-geo forums. $399 for Omega plus cart, with component cables, scart, and composite.

I dont really want the multi as opposed to the actual carts, but its a good way to test out unknowns since it was bundled anyway.

Got a legit ms2 thanks to baphomet though. Big ass carts indeed.

It should be here by wednesday, so two niche baller clubs down...(pc engine duo and mvs).

Teknoman

So I'm thinking into getting into Neo Geo hardware. It is pretty much the only remaining platform I care about that is missing in my retro collection.

What is the best/cheapest consolized MVS solution out there? The only output format I care about is RGB (for plugging into a Sony PVM), preferably something that can take SCART out of the box. Unibios already modded in would also be a requirement. It doesn't have to look fancy or anything, I can also go for supergun-based solutions if they're cheaper.

I have also looked into the Neo Geo CD but was not impressed by the library, too many must-have games are missing, so I'm not considering it. And as is mentioned in the OP the AES is just not worth it because of how expensive the games are.

Cheapest would be Omega CMVS, one from Jamma Nation X, or maybe get someone on the Neo-Geo forums to make you one?

Cheapest would be Omega CMVS, one from Jamma Nation X, or maybe get someone on the Neo-Geo forums to make you one?

Jamma Nation X has a good deal on a CMVS they make. You can get RGB output on it for $350. Seems like a good deal to me.

antibolo

Banned
Jamma Nation X has a good deal on a CMVS they make. You can get RGB output on it for $350. Seems like a good deal to me.

Wow that's actually cheaper than I was hoping for. Well there's still the matter of getting controllers, but nevertheless...

Details are rather sparse though, does it have a plain AES/CD connector that is compatible with the SCART cables sold by retro_console_accessories?

Wow that's actually cheaper than I was hoping for. Well there's still the matter of getting controllers, but nevertheless...

Details are rather sparse though, does it have a plain AES/CD connector that is compatible with the SCART cables sold by retro_console_accessories?

I think the main way you would hook it up would be RGB to SCART cable and then a SCART to JP21 adapter which retro_console_accessories sells. The mini only has input for a JP21 wired cable as far as I understand.

antibolo

Banned
I think the main way you would hook it up would be RGB to SCART cable and then a SCART to JP21 adapter which retro_console_accessories sells. The mini only has input for a JP21 wired cable as far as I understand.

I'm using a PVM, not a Framemeister.

Anyway looking at the photos on the site it looks like it's just straight RCA connectors. Kind of a bummer for me, as I am only set up for SCART (everything is plugged to a SCART switch which then outputs to a SCART to 4xBNC cable).

Anyway I'll contact the guy and figure this out.

Ban Puncher

Bought a brand new Neo Geo X Gold console with the Mega Pack Vol 1 for a total of $100 AUD today.

And into the cupboard it goes! Fuck this thing.

woodypop

What do you guys think about the Neo Geo Controller Pro:

j9P7CAZdb36nk.jpg
It's fine for me. But it's the only stick I've used for the system, so I don't have anything to compare it to.
Bought a brand new Neo Geo X Gold console with the Mega Pack Vol 1 for a total of $100 AUD today.

And into the cupboard it goes! Fuck this thing.
I was pretty excited for this when it was announced, but waited when it was released. Glad I did, as it seems it was such a wasted opportunity. =(

IrishNinja

yeah, stick looks good by me!

I dont really want the multi as opposed to the actual carts, but its a good way to test out unknowns since it was bundled anyway.

well if you decide you don't want the multi/want to offset some costs, lemme know, i might be interested in that thing!

Teknoman

yeah, stick looks good by me!

well if you decide you don't want the multi/want to offset some costs, lemme know, i might be interested in that thing!

Cool i'll keep that in mind. Doesnt seem like I can get an extra controller for cheaper than what JNX is selling them for. $41.94 shipped for a pad from them, or just wait and try to catch a decent auction on ebay for the new style stick / pad.

EDIT: Damn they sold out at JNX again >_< Went ahead and bought the cheapest pro i could find.

Also worth noting if you have a PS1 or PS2 stick / controller you prefer, tototek makes a good adapter to let you use them on Neo Geo.

Ban Puncher

Being a crazy person, I feel the need to have a second Neo Geo X controller so I can fully complete this shit show.

Any ideas on where to get them?

antibolo

Banned
Are there any affordable Neo Geo sticks that uses Sanwa parts (or a good enough imitation like the Hori ones)? My brain has been conditioned to only accept those, everything else feels terrible.

woodypop

Also worth noting if you have a PS1 or PS2 stick / controller you prefer, tototek makes a good adapter to let you use them on Neo Geo.
Well I'll be! I never thought to consider such a thing existed. (Though it makes perfect sense--virtually every other system has controller adapters.)

I'm generally a stickler for using native controllers with systems, but my exception is for fighting games. It would be nice to be able to use a stick with a 2-over-2 button configuration for fighters, as opposed to the 4-wide of the standard Neo Geo sticks. It's hard to break the Capcom habit of punch buttons on top and kick buttons on bottom.

Are there any affordable Neo Geo sticks that uses Sanwa parts (or a good enough imitation like the Hori ones)? My brain has been conditioned to only accept those, everything else feels terrible.

I'm aware of a Hori-made stick called the Fighting Stick Neo II. Hori parts but the dimensions are similar to the Sanwa stuff you're used to .

antibolo

Banned
I'm aware of a Hori-made stick called the Fighting Stick Neo II. Hori parts but the dimensions are similar to the Sanwa stuff you're used to .

Yeah I know about this stick and I'm sure I would love it, but it's a bit on the expensive side (especially if I want two of them).

Are there any Neo-Geo sticks that are easy to mod Sanwa parts into?

antibolo

Banned
What's your budget? Aren't Hori sticks around the same price as the regular AES sticks?

Looking quickly at eBay I'm definitely seeing regular AES sticks at around 50$, while the only Hori stands at 100$ (with expensive Japan shipping).

I haven't decided on a budget yet, still shopping for my available options.

I already own a PS2 Hori stick so I'm also considering that Tototek adapter, even though I don't like the layout.

Top Bottom