• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

hey gaf, i thought i'd share this little mega man art project i just finished

Dali

I did one of these with Garfield years ago. Not as impressive when you know that the mosiac software does most of the work. Of course if you didn't use mosiac software then color me impressed.

edit: Just read where you used mosiac software. :/

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Dali said:
I did one of these with Garfield years ago. Not as impressive when you know that the mosiac software does most of the work. Of course if you didn't use mosiac software then color me impressed.

it's not as impressive when you do it with garfield

edit: just read where you did it with garfield :/

do not question the bossitude present in this project!

Vinci

Danish
You should talk to a friend of mine. He'd totally buy one of those off you for, like, $250+ each. I don't even think he'd blink.

I happened to see this on GNintendo yesterday. Didn't know it was you Jarosh. Wow! Amazing work. You have not only blown me away earning much respect and admiration. You've definitely inspired me to press on with my Mega Man craft project which I'm hoping to reveal here on GAF when it's finished.

You know there are pieces of art at modern museusm and galleries that are complete shit if you compared them with the work you have done, no?

Its made of epic win, sir!

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Dali said:

The mosaic aspect is the part I'm not impressed with either as it's easy enough to do.

I just really like the scale and quality of the piece overall.

Amazing, amazing piece of art OP.

Just out of curiosity do you work in graphic design or in some other artistic field? If you don't looks like you should. Damn.

gerg

Amazing.

But I would have put the row of games at the top so that Mega Man is more central to the canvas.

jarosh

well, i can't argue with anyone about whether this is impressive or not. the end result might as well not be. i had my doubts as well at some point and wasn't sure if i should really go ahead with the print... however, i wanna get one thing out of the way: it was not a matter of pointing a software to a folder with screenshots, clicking a button and being done with it. it was a laborious and sometimes tedious project that took me several weeks to finish. and i'm not just saying that. it was also a lot of fun though and i loved every minute of it.

let me elaborate a bit on the whole process. this is the short version of what i did :

- create the template with the mega man sprite on a white background
- determining/calculating the exact amount of pixels/tiles that would be necessary since i didn't want duplicates OR have too many screenshots, which would have meant that some stages would be missing from the final product
- taking about ~250 screenshots per game (automated for each game obviously)
- sorting through all the screenshots, deleting bad ones
- determining the tile length and width and finding a compromise between square tiles and 4:3 tiles, the original aspect ratio of the screens (which would have made the sprite too wide)
- batch cropping all the screenhots several times to a custom resolution until i found the perfect middle ground
- resizing and stretching the sprite template to the correct size and pixel/tile aspect ratio
- realizing that most mosaic software does not allow custom tile aspect ratios
- testing out about 10 different mosaic creators until i realized i would have to create my own mask in andrea mosaic (a way around the aspect ratio limitations)
- creating a mask for the mega man sprite only (this tells the software exactly what's supposed to be a tile and what isn't), after it was decided that i wouldn't have the software render the background together with the sprite (never looked good, there were always artifact tiles around the sprite, a result of how the software interprets the mask)
- i just wanna make sure that this part is clear: mosaic software is usually not used to render a picture where every tile equals a square (oversized pixel) of one solid color. tiles are normally an artificial part of the mosaic equation, introduced at the last stage of the creation, as photographs or any other common images are not made up of arbitrary square shaped units x times the size of an actual pixel. so the software usually treats the tiles as the lesser part of the mosaic, resizing them and squishing them as needed, color correcting the hell out of them, rotating and mirroring them etc. the quality of the tiles usually suffer as a result. but i needed, WANTED a pixel perfect copy of the input tile, with no resizing or blurring and no excessive color correction applied. it took me a long time to figure out how to overcome this and how to make the result look exactly the way i wanted. go ahead and try it, it takes lots of calculations, trial and error, you even have to compensate for some of the limitations and bugs encountered in the rendering. this part was a major pain for me and almost made me give up. i could get deeper into the technicalities but i think it's kinda pointless...
- after countless iterations of mosaics with minor color and tile differences i decided i'd have to manually switch out tiles that looked off (remember: mosaics are usually composed of a lot more, much more heavily altered tiles so that's not a common a problem)
- editing, color correcting, switching out hundreds of tiles by hand until i was happy with the end result
- rendering the mosaic background... oh god i don't even wanna get into this. let's just say: i ended up having to re-arrange A LOT OF TILES end i went through a lot of different backgrounds and combinations of mosaics
- did i mention that i sorted half the screenshots by hue and luminance at some point when i realized no software was able to pick the right screenshots for the sprites when rendering it separate from the background? and then i had to do the same thing again and get rid of the really dark screenshots for the background
- then there were two rows of screenshots with boss weaknesses... each screenshot was a composite of a background and hand picked and placed sprites to illustrate the correct weapon for the correct boss form (you actually see mega man fight with the respective weapon, this was all done by hand)... for mm10 i even had to sort of guess half of the pixel art and draw it myself (at that point there were only a handful of incomplete sprite rips). just the boos weakness screenshots took me another week.
- then there's the boxart and cartridge gallery at the bottom... yeah. a lot of work. maybe it doesn't look like it but it was. all the cartridges for example are composites of the same high resolution cartridge photo (i wanted all of them to look the same) and the highest resolution label i could find plus a lot of color correction, stretching, warping etc. two of the labels i had to recreate from different pieces of artwork because there was no good hi-res version out there.
- general photoshop clean-up work on the whole thing... bleh. i dunno. maybe 5 hours?

actually, i only scratched the surface with this. i left out so many details, a lot of problems with the mosaic that sent me back to the drawing board, that had me start from scratch again several times. even most of the seemingly simple steps required a lot of trial and error until everything worked and looked the way i wanted (this required 7.4 gb of data, ~13'000 files). i'm a perfectionist and when i know i'll be spending a lot of money on something like this, i make sure that everything really IS perfect (at least to me).

again, whatever you think about the end result - and i really don't mind criticism - all i wanted with this post was to clear up that this is not just "a mosaic spit out by some software, finished in a matter of minutes". i mean, i was ready to declare the whole thing a failure at one point, i started to hate even looking at the thing because it had taken me so long to finish and it seemed like i had completely lost my objectivity.

right now i'm just glad it's done. and i'm actually surprised how happy i am with the end result ;)

jarosh

ok, for everyone who just clicked on this thread for the first time: you can safely ignore my previous, way too long post up there. this one is probably more interesting :p

here's where i "hid" my two cats:

mm-cats1.jpg

mm-cats2.jpg

for reference:

3186889507_e32eca193c.jpg
3053178052_bff9f0ce13.jpg

4019369604_e407471223.jpg
2658876731_b5aecee585.jpg

their actual names are aljosha (or short: yoshi) & minu. but most of the time we call them "little man" and "minu beans" respectively for some reason.

Filldough

jarosh said:
ok, for everyone who just clicked on this thread for the first time: you can safely ignore my previous, way too long post up there. this one is probably more interesting :p

here's where i "hid" my two cats:

mm-cats2.jpg

Am I the only one who think Hard Man should have been placed between the two pussies? :D

jarosh

i got a pm titled "capcom loves you" :D
apparently it's gonna be on the capcom blog today! (thanks, seth!)

i figured i'd post the entirety of the boss weakness screenshots:

mm-weaknesses.jpg

it kinda breaks the page, sorry for that, but it's not even full res.

the screenshot in the top left corner with dr. light's message is kind of an homage to the engrishy/sloppy translations in the early mega man games. "the evil domination of dr. wily" is lifted straight from mega man 1.

the numbers you see above mega man's head in some of the shots are the amount of damage the respective weapon does. i only added them when there's two or more different weapons that could be considered weaknesses that do different amounts of damage.

of course i didn't have any direct feed screens of the mm9 and mm10 wily bosses so i just used the fortress backdrop, weapon sprites and numbers.

Burger

jarosh said:
yes, the quality of the print is pretty damn amazing. i had them do several test prints on different materials. i liked the traditional canvas the most.

Do you know anything else about the print process and type of printer they used ? I do wide format stuff for a living, and I'm just curious.

Nice print btw :)

jarosh

Burger said:
Do you know anything else about the print process and type of printer they used ? I do wide format stuff for a living, and I'm just curious.

Nice print btw :)
i did see the printer and we talked a bit about the whole printing process but i couldn't tell you exactly what model it was. sorry. i think the maximum width is 200 cm, iirc.

I know you said you aren't planning on profiting from it but god damn I would buy a poster of that in a New York minute.

Absolutely fucking stellar work, jarosh.

Tieno

kind of a shame that the photobucket pictures don't work anymore. I only have a vague memory of those photos, it'll wash away into nothingness.

Use tinypic.

Rocwell

Tieno said:
kind of a shame that the photobucket pictures don't work anymore. I only have a vague memory of those photos, it'll wash away into nothingness.

Use tinypic.
right click > open image in new tab

Not a bad thread to bump, not a good reason to bump it.

jarosh

Tieno said:

Use tinypic.
that shouldn't have happened. i have photobucket pro and use it for everything. but there was a problem with the renewal of the account. i fixed it. the pics are back now.

Top Bottom