• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey GAF, let's make an RPG Maker Game Competition!

VandalD

I'm making a game of some sort, in part thanks to this thread, though I'm not sure if I'll enter for competition. I'm fairly familiar with RPG Maker, but I don't really have a story in mind, which is kind of important for an RPG.

L Thammy

When you know point A and point C, how do you come up with a point B that feels like a natural extension? Or, when there's a message that needs to get across without feeling too "preachy?"

So, you're referring to different events when you say point A, B, and C? In that case, I suggest that you look over your material and see if there's anything you can expand on. If point B expresses something new about your characters, world, etc., then it won't feel like filler.

Preachy might be hard to avoid. I think key is that the events should demonstrate the moral; it shouldn't need to be spelled out. Beyond that, pay some attention to the setting. If you develop it properly, it wpn't seem to exist in order to justify the moral.

ZServ

So, you're referring to different events when you say point A, B, and C? In that case, I suggest that you look over your material and see if there's anything you can expand on. If point B expresses something new about your characters, world, etc., then it won't feel like filler.

Preachy might be hard to avoid. I think key is that the events should demonstrate the moral; it shouldn't need to be spelled out. Beyond that, pay some attention to the setting. If you develop it properly, it wpn't seem to exist in order to justify the moral.

Well, like. Take Ocarina of Time for example. The point was to get the player in the world with point A, and doing the Deku Tree dungeon for point C. Point B was saying hey go here, while also continually spinning the player around in a circle. But, because the player interacted with the world during that, it felt fine. But, players are unpredictable. So, how do you be more flexible with narrative structure to allow for player ingenuity?

L Thammy

Well, like. Take Ocarina of Time for example. The point was to get the player in the world with point A, and doing the Deku Tree dungeon for point C. Point B was saying hey go here, while also continually spinning the player around in a circle. But, because the player interacted with the world during that, it felt fine. But, players are unpredictable. So, how do you be more flexible with narrative structure to allow for player ingenuity?

I still think the same thing applies: it isn't filler as long as you're encountering something new. In that area before the Deku dungeon, the player learns how the game operates. They also learn some additional details about the setting.

That said, a lot of this stuff isn't all that important. You don't need to talk to ever Deku kid. You don't need to read every sign. The players can choose to or they can choose not to. But by choosing to, they get something that they didn't get before, even if it's just a few lines of flavour text.

EDIT: Note, I'm not talking about adding anything, per se. But simply to include further detail about elements that are in the story, or provide additional perspective on them.

Prax

As a Madoka fan I would love to help write a Magical Girl RPG.

Maybe you could share your sprites and ideas with someone willing to do the programming work, while I work on the writing?

Also I'm going to try and actually mess with the program myself following the linked tutorials. I suspect it's going to take me a long while to figure out even the basic concepts, though.

With the really cool prizes, it is getting more tempting!
But I am not even good at making sprites! LOL That was like one of my only ones I've ever done (the rest being bad sprite edits?).

If anything, I'd probably try to collab with my brother in completing some of the rpgmaker game we have been fiddling with together for a long time, which we are working on transferring data over to VX right now, I think. That would make it like we're starting from scratch since rpgmaker2000 can't directly import into VX..

Acrylic7

When I go to documents and select RPG Maker VX Ace shouldn't I be able to see my tilesets and whatnot?

When I do select RPG Maker VX Ace the only things that I can see are my project game save files. Am I doing something wrong?

ZServ

When I go to documents and select RPG Maker VX Ace shouldn't I be able to see my tilesets and whatnot?

When I do select RPG Maker VX Ace the only things that I can see are my project game save files. Am I doing something wrong?

It's in the graphics folder. So, RPG Maker folder -> Project folder -> graphics.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
There might be a few for sure, but I plan to give as many games as possible a fair shake come judging time. Making *any* game is a hard endeavor, even with something like RPG Maker, and there's a lot of RPG Maker newbies here (myself included), so I'm not expecting 'To The Moon' quality games all around.

Also most RPGM games are never completed so just the achievement of finishing one is worthy of praise.

Tightning

Neo Member
I'm willing to give this a go, I've been aware of the program for a while and have dabbled before, but never completed anything using it...

Perhaps I'll be able to this time!

ZServ

Anyone else having issues with their projects freezing on save? It's becoming cumbersome quite quickly.

Acrylic7

OK must be in there i guess, in folders like Gothic etc
http://imgur.com/MVchV1m

Edit: they are in the dlc folder for me actually ^_^

Found them thanks to you. Thanks man you were a big help.
Cryptic shit is hidden in OS(C:)>program files (x86)> Steam> steamapps>common> RPGMaker>rtp>Graphics. It wont let me access it the other way for some reason.

no wonder I was lost.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Remember to put new graphics in the project folders/use the import tool and not the RTP folder.

OK, I'm going to put the Wrestling RPG on the backburner for now, as I think it'll ask too much to learn RPG Maker, design custom sprites and possibly design a custom system to make it work.

So I'll use this challenge as the perfect 'getting to know you' test with RPG Maker before I tackle that one.

There are some great ideas already in this thread, and it's been a fun read so far. There's a nice little community growing around this competition!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Finally came up with a basic outline! Woo!

Now I need to find a good Office Building tile set. I also am probably going to buy the damn Modern Shop Tiles from the RPG Maker website. $5.49 for a really great supermarket set.

Rapstah

I changed my mind with the E3 hype, I'm doing an E3 Bear RPG instead. It's probably going to feel weird two months after E3 but fuck it, I learned a lot from starting another thing first anyway.

Drawing side sprites is really hard. Front sprites are pretty easy once you get the general idea down, there's only a handful of techniques to get a humanoid body into 32*32 anyway.

ZServ

If anyone else is in the same mindset I am while town-building of "gah, everything looks so off and strange and OTHER GAMES DON'T LOOK THIS BAD" go ahead and google some actual overworlds from similar 2D games.

Turns out they do, so don't worry about it.

esterk

If anyone else is in the same mindset I am while town-building of "gah, everything looks so off and strange and OTHER GAMES DON'T LOOK THIS BAD" go ahead and google some actual overworlds from similar 2D games.

Turns out they do, so don't worry about it.
Haha yeah. I keep looking at it and I'm so disappointed. I was thinking about just drawing a map and using it as a Parallax instead.

ZServ

Haha yeah. I keep looking at it and I'm so disappointed. I was thinking about just drawing a map and using it as a Parallax instead.

What I've found is that the biggest illusion of 'em all is just making sure that the player never *notices* these glaring things that will niggle away at your soul. You don't know how to make the borders look like they *aren't* a straight line? Fuck it, throw a house somewhere. Make some NPCs that essentially say "hey dude over here don't listen to that wall, it's a wall." Like, I was sitting here obsessing over the ORDER of a townspersons garden. Like "ugh players will be mad there's so many strawberries."

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Worth checking out this forum: RPG Maker Web current projects. You can see a lot of screenshots of current progress by other people who are spending a LONG time on their games. Really inspiring in certain cases. Also gives a great idea of what can be done in RPG Maker.

Like "ugh players will be mad there's so many strawberries."

Damn right I will! It's time to accept blueberry as the better berry. (I mean a strawberry isn't even a berry, how lame is that!) I think every screen needs at least two giant piles of blueberries.

ZServ

Damn right I will! It's time to accept blueberry as the better berry. (I mean a strawberry isn't even a berry, how lame is that!) I think every screen needs at least two giant piles of blueberries.

Brb, adding blueberries to all dungeons.

Right now, the only thing I really wish I could do that I'm not even sure how to go about would be an overlay system like Four Swords Adventure had. Really, that would just be one great way of hiding the crappiness of my game thus far. But still.

ZServ

No lol. How to explain it..

Dmy9WAr.jpg

The (implied) shading from the (implied) clouds. It's like a particle system *almost*, but.. not really?

Edit: Yeah, the image on top of everything.

Seems like it could be approximated pretty well with just a transparent image that you drawn on top of the screen and have it moving slowly (with some parallax for moving).

You could override the Game Map class' update function to keep track of a sprite. I'm doing something similar with my Parallax_Sprite but it's a little bit different.

esterk

No lol. How to explain it..

Dmy9WAr.jpg

The (implied) shading from the (implied) clouds. It's like a particle system *almost*, but.. not really?

Edit: Yeah, the image on top of everything.
Using a parallax and making it loop horizontally could achieve this if you mess with it enough or get a custom script I'm sure. I think you can even adjust the speed of it from the parallax settings.

ZServ

Seems like it could be approximated pretty well with just a transparent image that you drawn on top of the screen and have it moving slowly (with some parallax for moving).

You could override the Game Map class' update function to keep track of a sprite. I'm doing something similar with my Parallax_Sprite but it's a little bit different.

Unfortunately I don't even know where I'd begin to do that lol. I could run an parallel event to consistently update the players X and Y location and adjust a gigantic transparent image based on that, but I'd have no idea of how to make it move by itself and just be enhanced by the players movement, nor how to make it smooth enough that it wasn't jarring, nor really how to do the image drawing since the event would thus be so HUGE that my click-to-move script would just not work.

Maybe I'll come back to this idea if I have the time when the content is done and I'm just polishing.

ZServ

Here's what I'm doing to achieve this:

GafGame Progress #1

I create the layers with Event code:
Code:
spr = $game_map.parallax_sprite
spr.setup("SkyBack")
spr.set_z(-10000)
spr.set_parallax(0, 0)

It's not the same thing but the basics are the same.

Yeah, my game is a complete ripoff of Twilight.

WHOA WHOA WHOA.

You sharing this is sweet and I'm gonna try and work it in and all but HOW DID YOU CHANGE RESOLUTION TO BE THAT HIGH? your secrets. I neeeeed them.

WHOA WHOA WHOA.

You sharing this is sweet and I'm gonna try and work it in and all but HOW DID YOU CHANGE RESOLUTION TO BE THAT HIGH? your secrets. I neeeeed them.

http://www.himeworks.com/2013/10/25/unlimited-resolution/

You need to know what you're doing though. It comes with limitations and bugs. Not to mention RPG Maker does not have hardware acceleration. I spent some time optimizing that bit but it's still at ~45 FPS and that stuff is quite simple (just "high-res" (well, it's still low-res, but relatively)).

ZServ

http://www.himeworks.com/2013/10/25/unlimited-resolution/

You need to know what you're doing though. It comes with limitations and bugs. Not to mention RPG Maker does not have hardware acceleration. I spent some time optimizing that bit but it's still at ~45 FPS and that stuff is quite simple (just "high-res" (well, it's still low-res, but relatively)).

Damn. My only real issue with RPG Maker for this kind of competition is that modern monitors may not fullscreen these games well. Or, at least, neither of mine do. Which impacts playability at those low resolutions. :( I'll add it to "things to mess with possibly once content complete."

Carlisle

This is a sweet idea. I'm going to say that I'll participate, but whether I'll get anything done will remain to be seen. Been wanting to do something like this for ages, so this might be the kick in the ass I need to get it rolling.

gAg CruSh3r

I have a surface pro 2 will this work well with it?

Specs: 8 gb ram
64 bit operating system
Intel (R) Core (TM) i5-4300U CPU @ 1.90ghz 2.50ghz

I am very interested in trying this out :).

esterk

Here's what I'm doing to achieve this:

GafGame Progress #1

I create the layers with Event code:
Code:
spr = $game_map.parallax_sprite
spr.setup("SkyBack")
spr.set_z(-10000)
spr.set_parallax(0, 0)

It's not the same thing but the basics are the same.

Yeah, my game is a complete ripoff of Twilight.
Holy crap this is amazing, thanks for sharing! I really wanted a similar effect for my game opening so I may mess with this.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I can tell you right now that you can do interesting overlays in RPG Maker. Just to show off an example, here's something I quickly did:

A quick example from an old quick project of mine.

And it could easily be applied for dark cloud figures. You can do a lot of things with it, actually.

(Was showing a different way to achieve something like this, the above example is a good one too).

Ourobolus

Banned
Hm, having trouble finding something specific. Might be a bit rough overall, but eventually it's something I'd like to do.

Anyone know how to make a "Chapter Select" screen?

Think kinda like Wild ARMs or Rudra no Hihou - I want two main characters with two [initially] separate storylines.

So on a New Game, you choose either David or Melody (or whatever), and complete each chapter, with the ability to swap back and forth throughout the rest of the game (you can't go back to older chapters, but you can swap freely between each characters' current chapter).

Eventually they'd meet and it wouldn't matter, but that's a different story.

EDIT: I guess I could just make like a teleporter room or something. I think I'd prefer a menu, but it's at least something to try initially.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hm, having trouble finding something specific. Might be a bit rough overall, but eventually it's something I'd like to do.

Anyone know how to make a "Chapter Select" screen?

Think kinda like Wild ARMs or Rudra no Hihou - I want two main characters with two [initially] separate storylines.

So on a New Game, you choose either David or Melody (or whatever), and complete each chapter, with the ability to swap back and forth throughout the rest of the game (you can't go back to older chapters, but you can swap freely between each characters' current chapter).

Eventually they'd meet and it wouldn't matter, but that's a different story.

EDIT: I guess I could just make like a teleporter room or something. I think I'd prefer a menu, but it's at least something to try initially.

There's a few ways to do this, it really comes down to how you structure your game. For example, it's possible to make it so that you can have a custom Load and Save game menu that can show what chapter number, title, and an image of the chapter on the save file itself, but doing this requires some scripting/scripts.

It'd be possible when the game starts up to load a teleporter menu, or a custom menu with some coding.

Top Bottom