• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey GAF, let's make an RPG Maker Game Competition!

Mentok

Banned
Ohh so subscribed to this thread, sounds like a great idea! I'd love to participate but sadly have no skills to contribute .... although I'll try and make some music for anyone to use.

Sorry if I missed it, but are final games being posted to this thread?

jkanownik

I'd love to get a team together for an idea I have. A game based on Kendrick Lamar's Good Kid, MAAD City album. Key elements of the game:

• Title screen design is based on Alex Kid in Miracle World
  • Full game would have chapters based on songs from the album
  • For the competition one full chapter would be created
  • Music in each level is inspired by the original song
  • The chapter for the competition would be the Art of Peer Pressure. This chapter would feature: a neighborhood where you pick up your homies; a street where you must ignore the siren call of bougie bitches, rough up a rival gang and stop by a store to buy some liquor; a house where you have to break in and find a plasma TV, Nintendo and DVDs; a Zelda Lost Woods like driving section; and then return to the neighborhood to drop Kendrick off at the park

Let me know if anyone is interested.

SOLDIER

I doubt I would be able to learn all the tools in time for the deadline, and even if I did I would take even longer to obsessively create something I would deem as acceptable.

However, I would be happy to offer my services as a writer/co-writer for anyone looking to make a game for this competition. I would welcome the opportunity as it could potentially benefit me in the long run (if I do a good enough job).

Anyone interested can send me a PM. I am particularly a fan of JRPGs and Horror, but I would probably be up for anything as long as the concept sounded interesting.

I would be proud beyond belief if I ended up helping to make the next To The Moon or Yume Nikki. I believe Corpse Party was also made using RPG Maker?

Well, my girlfriend (not a GAF user) wants to work on the game with me. Is that allowed for the competition?

Also, I might have to buy the dang "Zombie" pack for one of my levels. lol

SOLDIER

So from Mister_Bubbles' request, I quickly whipped up two short loopable .ogg's for use in RPG Maker VX Ace. Anyone can use them for this project, just PM me if you want me to send a download link for either or both of them for use in your project. I also might tighten them up, they were quickly whipped up things. If anyone else has song requests, feel free to ask me.

The two songs in question (again, PM me if you want them for the project, though they were quick things):
https://soundcloud.com/ryan-stanford-3/stormy-stone-tower-attempt-1
https://soundcloud.com/ryan-stanford-3/stormy-stone-tower-attempt-2

Made with the description to try and make a dark melody for a stormy giant tower. Tried for one more game-like, and one more ominous ambient.

I think VX Ace eliminates the need for four animations for that, and just needs three poses as it knows how to use the standing animation again.

However, there again are scripts that'll let you have an unlimited number of animation frames, even with larger sprites. I once animated a beating heart that was 95x96 pixels big and had 10 animation frames with the script.

Your attempt 2 piece would be perfect for a horror game. Got a good Silent Hill meets Dark Souls vibe out of it.

Are we allowed to offer suggestions to other works if we're committed to someone else's project? I really want to flex my creative muscles as much as possible during this event.

I wouldn't mind trying to learn RPG Maker myself, either, but I have no idea where to start. Anyone got tutorial links, preferably ones that offer short exercises (how to make a cutscene, how to make an intro dungeon, etc)?

Sandfox

I'm thinking about going with a story in the same vein as my favorite Ishinomori stories and I think it could work pretty well if done right.

Your attempt 2 piece would be perfect for a horror game. Got a good Silent Hill meets Dark Souls vibe out of it.

Are we allowed to offer suggestions to other works if we're committed to someone else's project? I really want to flex my creative muscles as much as possible during this event.

I wouldn't mind trying to learn RPG Maker myself, either, but I have no idea where to start. Anyone got tutorial links, preferably ones that offer short exercises (how to make a cutscene, how to make an intro dungeon, etc)?

There's tutorial links in the OP.

KingErich

Banned
There is, in-fact, a (fairly) easy way. Go to the Database, go to system, and change the graphic of the boat to swimming. To make it look like swimming, you could simply edit the sprite sheet in Gimp (I say gimp as Paint doesn't keep transparency) and erase him from the waist/legs/even shoulders down. Lower the body in each frame down an even amount (not too low though that it cuts into another animation frame, but lower to make it look like he's sunken), and then use that as your boat graphic, and do a boat call when you touch the water (if you need to know how there's a few guides how, or I or someone can explain it).

I'll give this a shot. Thanks!

Intriguing. If time permits, I will try to come up with something. Ideas exist already. Time to look at this RM thing.

Edit: VX throws "Out of memory" windows at me for using wine. I guess I'll be going with XP after all. That one seems to work fine. Even got MIDI to run with a bit of fiddling around.

So from Mister_Bubbles' request, I quickly whipped up two short loopable .ogg's for use in RPG Maker VX Ace. Anyone can use them for this project, just PM me if you want me to send a download link for either or both of them for use in your project. I also might tighten them up, they were quickly whipped up things. If anyone else has song requests, feel free to ask me.

The two songs in question (again, PM me if you want them for the project, though they were quick things):
https://soundcloud.com/ryan-stanford-3/stormy-stone-tower-attempt-1
https://soundcloud.com/ryan-stanford-3/stormy-stone-tower-attempt-2

Made with the description to try and make a dark melody for a stormy giant tower. Tried for one more game-like, and one more ominous ambient.

As I said in PM, these are fantastic and I'm sure will both fit into parts of the game that I have in mind, though if you feel like working on them even more I certainly won't argue ;) Thanks once again!

Korten

Banned
Debating to enter or not...

The game I want to make is way longer than 2 to 3 hours...

Though I will post screenshots if no one minds of my game. :D

Screenshot_1.png
Screenshot_2.png
Screenshot_3.png

Thanks for recommending VX Ace. I've had a game idea floating in my head for years but never knew how to execute it until now :eek:

I'll definitely try participating in this, and probably seek out some team help once I finalize a design structure and the story.

I may look into making something, upgraded to the $6 tier just so I could get that futuristic resource pack as if I do make something I'd like it to be set on a spaceship or station or something. Perhaps inspired by Yahtzee's 7 Days a Skeptic...

Just a bit of a bad timing though as I'm already busy learning Minecraft modding so I can get some Java experience under my belt; that and this at the same time could get intense!

Mentallyerect

Neo Member
I'm loving this thread and the deal which got me these 2 games for 6 bucks :). I have a question though.

I'm torn between using xp or vx ace. After doing a lot of reading, it seems as if vx ace is the one to go. My main issue is that I would like to use larger character sprites in vx ace similar to the ones used in xp. I know this is possible but the issue that'll then arise is that if I use larger sprites, all the default resources in vx ace would be useless to me as they would look so out of place in relation to larger character sprites.

If I go with larger character sprites in vx ace, does this mean I'll have to make my own custom tilesets to create my worlds to fit in line with larger characters? I know you can import xp tilesets into vx ace but how does that work with the new autotile feature?

Also, bear with me, I'm new to all this lol.

sqwarlock

Going through the long ass tutorial linked in the OP, and I really like this. Not sure if I'll have the time to make a game with my own art, but I think I can come up with something silly using the generic art assets.

Capra

I'm loving this thread and the deal which got me these 2 games for 6 bucks :). I have a question though.

I'm torn between using xp or vx ace. After doing a lot of reading, it seems as if vx ace is the one to go. My main issue is that I would like to use larger character sprites in vx ace similar to the ones used in xp. I know this is possible but the issue that'll then arise is that if I use larger sprites, all the default resources in vx ace would be useless to me as they would look so out of place in relation to larger character sprites.

If I go with larger character sprites in vx ace, does this mean I'll have to make my own custom tilesets to create my worlds to fit in line with larger characters? I know you can import xp tilesets into vx ace but how does that work with the new autotile feature?

Edit: Ignore me. I misunderstood your question.

Adnor

Banned
Can I work with a friend who's not on GAF? At least to ask him for help when I don't know how to do something?

Servbot24

Banned
This sounds cool. I don't know much about this engine; before I go in depth learning about it I'd just like to know, is it very diverse at all in terms of gameplay? And can full res artwork be used rather than pixel art?

Onemic

This sounds cool. I don't know much about this engine; before I go in depth learning about it I'd just like to know, is it very diverse at all in terms of gameplay? And can full res artwork be used rather than pixel art?

I might be wrong, but from what I've taken from VX Ace, if you don't know Ruby you're limited to making only JRPG's.

esterk

Check out some of the tutorial vids for each from the OP, it'll give you a good idea of what to expect from both so you can compare. I went with VX ace, seeing as a lot of the downsides can be remedied by custom scripts people have made.

There may be a way for you to get the default resources from XP and import into VX ACE as well. People have done all sorts of crazy stuff with these editors. I would do some research in that if you're worried about VX resources becoming useless.

I wouldn't mind getting a small team together to work on a prequel to one of my games I'm conceptualizing right now. I don't want to say too much, but I'm big on games with diversity...

esterk

Got my basic concept drafted, time to install some custom scripts and then do some artwork. I'm really excited for this :)

If I can figure out how to effectively do sprite art, I'll definitely toss my name up for helping other people too, but for now I haven't even tried it - seems like a whole different world from what I usually draw.

kn1ves24

So this may have been asked already (I skimmed the previous pages but didn't see anything).

I bought the 12 dollar bundle cause I figure why not. Originally I was hoping to maybe make something that plays like A Link to the Past or A Link Between Worlds. After looking through a few tutorials and clicking around in VX Ace I'm gonna assume that a over head ARPG is a no go with this? Everything I've seen seems to be a turn-based or strategy style combat system. Or are the scripting tools powerful enough to pull something like that off?

kai3345

Banned
you have two different deadlines in the OP, July 31st and August 7th. Which is it?

Also here's what I've been working on for the past day:

S6AnjDD.png

Edit: Also if any writers are looking to hop on a project, PM me, I could use some help. I've got my story planned out, but I'm pretty bad at writing dialog

Kimaka

I think I might be in. I've been needing to do something to push myself to get excited about game development again.

oatmeal

Banned
you have two different deadlines in the OP, July 31st and August 7th. Which is it?

S6AnjDD.png

Edit: Also if any writers are looking to hop on a project, PM me, I could use some help. I've got my story planned out, but I'm pretty bad at writing dialog
Hahaha that's rad and nothing like the stuff I have been tinkering with. I'm just testing movement and dialogue trees.

I have years invested on this software. I love it to hell and back! I will try to do something.

I've always being looking for a Final Fantasy Tactics-like battle script. Does anyone knows if this exists?

Decided to do a mockumentary.
It's basically about the Sword of Vermilion sequel that never actually happened.
Not sure what to do about the sprites/tileset/music situation though.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Ohh so subscribed to this thread, sounds like a great idea! I'd love to participate but sadly have no skills to contribute .... although I'll try and make some music for anyone to use.

Sorry if I missed it, but are final games being posted to this thread?

Games will be posted in this thread, following the details mentioned in the OP. I'll link to all submitted games in the second post of the topic as well.

Well, my girlfriend (not a GAF user) wants to work on the game with me. Is that allowed for the competition?

Also, I might have to buy the dang "Zombie" pack for one of my levels. lol

Thanks for bringing it up, I'll say it's a-okay (and cute).

Thank you very much, engine isn't very complicated to use, a bit more complicated to get into some of the details of the engine and scripting and the like, but relatively simple.

You can throw suggestions, this is mainly a community project.

Definitely not a bad list at all, I will throw it into the OP Resources.

This isn't a GAF contest, it's run by the RPG Maker people.

There is a RPG Maker Developer-run contest, but this one is GAF-run and a different contest with different rules.

If only I knew how to code with Ruby :(

There are some guides to learn and practice from, if you want to start learning it.

Debating to enter or not...

The game I want to make is way longer than 2 to 3 hours...

Though I will post screenshots if no one minds of my game. :D

Screenshot_1.png
Screenshot_2.png
Screenshot_3.png

You can attempt and if it doesn't work out finish on your own time not for the contest. A valid strategy.

I... I totally am in. I may not make it, but I damn well will try. I haven't played with RPG Maker in well over a decade.

I wish you luck!

Thanks for recommending VX Ace. I've had a game idea floating in my head for years but never knew how to execute it until now :eek:

I'll definitely try participating in this, and probably seek out some team help once I finalize a design structure and the story.

If you seek a team, post here or PM me so I can add you to the second post list forming. Or message the people there of course~

I always love the concept art phase

Tease:
ijgJ0FcS499P.png

-stares back-

You might have to do some serious re-aligning and use of scripts to make it work, but it's definitely possible. I can hunt and pinpoint a few if you want, but basically it'd add a bit more work, but definitely can be done. Most of the work would be in re-alligning sprite sheets.

Going through the long ass tutorial linked in the OP, and I really like this. Not sure if I'll have the time to make a game with my own art, but I think I can come up with something silly using the generic art assets.

It's a good guide, though as mentioned a bit long. Happy you're enjoying it though~

Can I work with a friend who's not on GAF? At least to ask him for help when I don't know how to do something?

Sure thing, just credit them like anyone else (and maybe mention a friend as to not confuse them with a GAF member).

The default engine is to make something like a classical JRPG-style. You can stretch out what that means, like many 2D horror games, adventure-puzzle games, and the like are made from it. But other games can be made if you utilize Ruby scripting, people have also made Beat'em'ups, platformers, shmups, visual novels, and more in the engine, but going beyond games with that sort of perspective of an old JRPG will take some scripts and modifying.

Got my basic concept drafted, time to install some custom scripts and then do some artwork. I'm really excited for this :)

If I can figure out how to effectively do sprite art, I'll definitely toss my name up for helping other people too, but for now I haven't even tried it - seems like a whole different world from what I usually draw.

GIMP would be the best method to spriting, I will mention. It can easily do transparency and better brush tools than most other free art programs.

So this may have been asked already (I skimmed the previous pages but didn't see anything).

I bought the 12 dollar bundle cause I figure why not. Originally I was hoping to maybe make something that plays like A Link to the Past or A Link Between Worlds. After looking through a few tutorials and clicking around in VX Ace I'm gonna assume that a over head ARPG is a no go with this? Everything I've seen seems to be a turn-based or strategy style combat system. Or are the scripting tools powerful enough to pull something like that off?

You can do a Zelda-like system, it just requires some scripting. I know I've seen a Zelda-styled game made in RPG Maker and a script for it. I also have played a zombie-based game where the main character shot bullets and there was this cool feature you could lock-onto enemies in real-time and blow chunks of their bodies off if you timed your firing right (as the recitle moved), the scripting in VX Ace is actually very flexible.

S6AnjDD.png

I thought I tackled it all, but thanks for pointing out! Originally was July 31st, but updated to August 7th when people pointed out that many might not be able to work during E3 week and this topic would get flooded out during that time, so I added an additional week. Updated the OP now.

"Looks like death."

I think I might be in. I've been needing to do something to push myself to get excited about game development again.

I wish you luck!

Link1110

I've had a good idea for a while which I couldn't pad out to as big a scope as I'd like, so it'll be perfect here. Do we have to limit ourselves to any certain art assets, or is anything fine?

sqwarlock

S6AnjDD.png

Did you make that tileset and those sprites? They're really good.

Dusk Golem

I have years invested on this software. I love it to hell and back! I will try to do something.

I've always being looking for a Final Fantasy Tactics-like battle script. Does anyone knows if this exists?

This is one engine for something a tad similar. (Video in this link)

Here's another engine, more recent.

^This engine looks a lot more like Tactics, can see a video of it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gFiYjq7rP0

Another take on it here: http://www.lemon-slice.net/ADbank/mat_rgss3-01.html

And yet another Tactical Engine here: http://www.rpgmakervxace.net/topic/6261-tbs-tactical-battle-system/

Decided to do a mockumentary.
It's basically about the Sword of Vermilion sequel that never actually happened.
Not sure what to do about the sprites/tileset/music situation though.

Oh my, a mockumentary is something I'd never have guessed someone to make. XD

I'm not an expert on the source material, but try looking around resources a lot first if uncertain of spriting ability.

Dusk Golem

I've had a good idea for a while which I couldn't pad out to as big a scope as I'd like, so it'll be perfect here. Do we have to limit ourselves to any certain art assets, or is anything fine?

Anything you're allowed to use, basically. Can make own sprites or use them from the RTP/DLC, or use resources from online. But if you use them from online, then you must credit the resources used both in the game itself and in the post when you submit the game.

Good idea if you're using online resources to keep a text file with credit of what you're using.

Top Bottom