• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey GAF, let's make an RPG Maker Game Competition!

Please count me in as well!
I have an idea that revolves around the theme of an old Genesis fishing game my cousins and I fiddled with when we were kids.
I picked up the humble bundle and I am confused how we actually use the resource packs that came with the bundle. Do they automatically get detected by RPG maker or do we move them into the RPG maker directory or are they their own file set?

I believe you add the Resources manually as necessary.

Like this:

h18ki7P.png

0sdA65L.png

And switch between the categories when importing different things.

Of course, once you do this, you then have to apply the imported DLC through the database. For example, if you have Tileset DLC, go to Tools -> Database -> Tilesets and make sure to create a new Tileset by pressing "Change Maximum."

Lucent

Wow. We have until August? I might actually try this. I might spend the better part of June coming up with concepts and trying to learn the program. I REALLY want to do something horror-based. I don't think I'm very good at coming up with puzzle ideas though. And I bet that takes some somewhat tricky scripting to get right.

Anyway, I'll see how far I get this month. Might play a couple more games to get a feel for what the thing can do.

esterk

Nice! Thanks for the reply.

I was staring at that Bundle deal since it was mentioned here, and I finally bit this afternoon.

But soon after, I was like "Oh, man... What did I get myself into?"

Also, it's comforting to know that the more experienced users in the community are willing to help the newbies find their footing.
Haha yeah it's a lot to take in. I recommend watching the tutorial videos in the OP for whichever version you're going to use. It's really helpful to have a visual to help learning all the stuff - at least that's what I've found.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I am so excited about this XD!

Is it OK to post WIP screenshots? I swear it'll be the last but in just a day or two I already have something cool going on so yeah, excited.

RKaCLc8.png

Mentok

Banned
Very kind! I made a few things as well, may make an addition to the second post for assets GAF makes for anyone to use.

That would be awesome, thanks! I'm assuming it's ok to freelance our music, because I'm just going to post different types of melodies for others to use (unless I get pmed for a specific thing obviously).

Korten

Banned

Is it OK to post WIP screenshots? I swear it'll be the last but in just a day or two I already have something cool going on so yeah, excited.

No idea, there hasn't been anyone saying no or yes.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™

True. I'll refrain from posting more and holding my own internal hype...

Is anyone out there willing to do a title screen for my game? PM me if possible, thanks :)

Korten

Banned

Is anyone out there willing to do a title screen for my game? PM me if possible, thanks :)

I posted mine...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=114098875&postcount=222

A couple of pages ago (though if the game will actual be in contest is unlikely as the game will far exceed the 2-3 hour game limit.) And yeah, no one said no.

So it's probably okay.

edit: Derp, just saw the post below me repost a bit from the OP... Guess that part (in bolded no less), seem to went past me...

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

From the OP

Posting progress, updates, and questions is not only okay, it's encouraged,

This is sort of a community thing, so posting questions, answers, progress, or even public demo's before releasing your game is all encouraged. We're all here to help, and many are using the engine for the first time, or may use this as an opportunity to delve into simple game development.

So post progress shots! Let us see your works in progress!

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

RKaCLc8.png

As been pointed out, posting progress (talking about it, pictures, gifs, videos, whatever) is a-okay, and actually encouraged. Interesting to see, to read about, encourages others, and the like. I just think most people don't have enough done yet to show it off quite yet as we're only about 2-3 days into this.

That would be awesome, thanks! I'm assuming it's ok to freelance our music, because I'm just going to post different types of melodies for others to use (unless I get pmed for a specific thing obviously).

More than okay to freelance, I was thinking of doing something similar myself. If we get enough tracks done for the general public, we could make a NeoGAF RPG Maker Music pack. XD

How have you guys set up the game as a sort of ARPG with combat external to the normal battle system?

The key word is scripting. Some external scripts allow new or different gameplay. For the ARPG thing posted above, he took a few scripts online and then did some coding himself (he knows Ruby) to get the exact effect he wanted for a Zelda-like system. There's also scripts for SRPG-style, Final Fantasy side-screen RPG battles, real-time-battles, a sort of Tales of-styled combat system, and more.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
How have you guys set up the game as a sort of ARPG with combat external to the normal battle system?
For anyone interested I used the Falcoa script and some ABS script I found in a forum. I adjusted several things manually as those scripts are very finicky and setting them up could be a nightmare if you have no idea what you are doing, but with some dedication you can do it.

Onemic

For anyone interested I used the Falcoa script and some ABS script I found in a forum. I adjusted several things manually as those scripts are very finicky and setting them up could be a nightmare if you have no idea what you are doing, but with some dedication you can do it.

ah, so you know ruby?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I just think most people don't have enough done yet to show it off quite yet as we're only about 2-3 days into this.
I haven't even started yet (well I've been writing dialogue) since I haven't been able to buy the bundle yet. On holiday visiting relatives asnd the credit card I use for online purchases is at home.

Stuart444

I haven't started yet since I've been messing about trying to learn the program myself. I do have my fiancee (who is also a GAF member and has been lurking this thread :p ) who will be helping me with stuff like dialogue and level design. (I'm more scared of that, trying to make a world map in my test projects and it looks like a mess XD)

So I do have an idea for my game and I've even got the first (opening) cutscene planned out in my head. Story is simple, I've been unemployed for so long, my game will be about a man who is finding it hard to get a job.

Drawback for me: I'm not good with art and music so I'll probably have to use most of the default (or DLC) assets. Also not great with scripting since I haven't even looked at proper code (outside of mark up stuff like HTML) for years but I should still be able to add new scripts I find online and modify some if I have to.

I haven't messed about with RPG maker since XP and it intimidated me then. I feel a lot less intimidated now though so hopefully I see this through and finish this project. :D

Dusk Golem

Drawback for me: I'm not good with art and music so I'll probably have to use most of the default (or DLC) assets. Also not great with scripting since I haven't even looked at proper code (outside of mark up stuff like HTML) for years but I should still be able to add new scripts I find online and modify some if I have to.

I haven't messed about with RPG maker since XP and it intimidated me then. I feel a lot less intimidated now though so hopefully I see this through and finish this project. :D

I wish you luck, and on music, there are resources online for free to use music and a few GAF'ers (myself included) willing to make music for people for nothing. Good practice and all.

Chariot

It's worthy of celebration when a GAF member even gets a completed project past the finish line.

A serious project is really, really time-consuming to finish, even a 2-3 hour one.
i know, but I was for years in a RPG-Maker Community active. Its just something I said about Makergames. While the programm is easy to use, people underestimate that they still have work to do and that they have to plan their stuff.

munchie64

Oh god, I seem so far behind to some >.>
Oh well I'm on holiday after this weekend, for the entire period of making so there's my advantage.

I've been playing some RPG maker games though. I recommend it to anyone looking for inspiration, some ideas of how the system works including its limits and ideas for balancing and the like.

On music, it's probably THE thing I'll need help for, although I am trying to find some unknown tracks from games so people don't instantly recognise them. If I'm ok with others using the track can I just request it here? Or would it be better to pm someone? I've never collaborated with anything over a forum before tbh lol

Stuart444

I've been playing some RPG maker games though. I recommend it to anyone looking for inspiration, some ideas of how the system works including its limits and ideas for balancing and the like.

That's what I plan on doing at some point as well. Play some RPG Maker games.

I've just started my design doc now though I have a lot of placeholders for stuff that I'm not sure of since I need to see what I can do with the engine before I can make any final decisions.

Dusk Golem

Speaking of music, here's some tracks I have which I am not going to use for anything really, not all of them are fantastic and some were songs I did for practice, but enabling download on all of them, and you guys can feel free to use any of them for your projects if you want them. I'm still practicing:

So yes, I'm basically giving you guys the crappy stuff I've decided to not use on my own projects. XD;

Of course, you guys are free to request a song from me if you'd like me to make something for you.

But here they are, I'll list them from newest I created (and either made for someone here or scrapped for myself) to the oldest I've created (only goes as far back as early 2012). Download links in all of them:

Stone Tower Attempt 2 - Ambient Drone-Type Sound for Atmosphere
Stone Tower Attempt 1 - Synth Melody Stormy song
Note to Self - 'Empty' sort of monologing song
The Shrine - Was made as a song for a shrine to Teru Teru Bozu in an old project; A sort of tranquil sound.
Fortunes Turning A clanging of bells and drones to suggest something is with you and after you
Circus - A chipper yet odd and repeating circus-like jingle
Eyelids - Electricity sounds mixed with an odd beat like you may be in a strange place or going insane
Skull - A low synth beat using some sounds for drums
Raise - Symple synth melody with drums to sound more hope in sinister sort of deal
Underground Drone - A drone sound for the underground with a bit more sound to it
Ambient Building - An ambient drone for an old, creaky building
But For A Moment - A sort of ethereal and distant string with heavy echo
The Tunnel - Supposed to be a sort of ambient 'song' for a tunnel drenched in the rain
Woods Whistle - Creepy echoey sounds
Bum & Scratch - A simple series of hits on a stretched string instrument and a sort of elongated scratch to sound creepy
Never End - A friend helped me with this song with her voice, a simple ritualistic drum beat with a female chant
Chitter Chatter -Noisy & Odd Sounds
Embrace Me - A retro sounding song for a tense moment between two people
Friends - A sort of odd song for a 'friendship', droplet sounding
Puzzle of the Heart - More of a song for a puzzle part, downbeat sounds with a sort of clashing chirpier tone
Echo Ruin Techno - Sort of wistle-like Techno sound that's a bit more music-like
You're A Bother - Build-Up Tension sort of tone
The Flesh String - The song right above this 'You're a Bother' with some industrial gate sounds to make it sound creepier, as well as some pulsating
The Final Encounter - An all-out series of creepy and strange noises
Final Zone Gallery - A sort of ticking drone for an odd place
Harp Head Theme - A simple drum beat accompanied by some synthetic chanting.

They all loop in RPG Maker, all in .ogg (which works in VX Ace). Just give me credit if you use any of them.

Dusk Golem

Oh god, I seem so far behind to some >.>
Oh well I'm on holiday after this weekend, for the entire period of making so there's my advantage.

On music, it's probably THE thing I'll need help for, although I am trying to find some unknown tracks from games so people don't instantly recognise them. If I'm ok with others using the track can I just request it here? Or would it be better to pm someone? I've never collaborated with anything over a forum before tbh lol

Feel free to either PM or ask here, we have at least four people (myself included) willing to do music for others on request for their projects. My policy on this though is I'll make it available for anyone here to use, but make it specifically for what you ask for.

ZServ

This is a great way for people to see if development is for them. There's tons of stuff to do/tweak/polish, even when it's "done for you." I've got maybe 30 seconds of gameplay thus far, and it's taken me hours to get it to this point. However, it's also polished to my liking which is nice. As for why there isn't a lot of progress pics/screenies yet, I think that's probably more because people are working on getting their concepts finished and sorta fleshed out before posting them.

Speaking of music, here's some tracks I have which I am not going to use for anything really, not all of them are fantastic and some were songs I did for practice, but enabling download on all of them, and you guys can feel free to use any of them for your projects if you want them. I'm still practicing:

So yes, I'm basically giving you guys the crappy stuff I've decided to not use on my own projects. XD;

Of course, you guys are free to request a song from me if you'd like me to make something for you.

Wow, dude! These are really good! If you ever get the chance, you should change the voice track on Never End to one of those deep male ones, ala the chanting in the original Fire Temple. Could be ominous as hell, perfect for like a final boss battle. Seriously though, these are great. Massive talent on your part.

Adnor

Banned
Man, you guys thinking about custom music, sprites and stuff and here I was planning on using the default ones because I'm lazy :p

Already have the concept of the game and some puzzles planned, but first I have to write the story and learn how to do stuff, luckily the tutorials are pretty good.

Raxious

Bought the Humble Bundle, I might join. Sounds like an interesting competition :D Though I'm already working on a game in UDK for a school project, so I hope I'll have enough time .

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I think for another challenge perhaps we could try limiting it to events only or number of maps or something like that so those afraid to enter now may feel more comfortable if everyone is placed on a more even and restrictive playing field. Just a thought.

I think for another challenge perhaps we could try limiting it to events only or number of maps or something like that so those afraid to enter now may feel more comfortable if everyone is placed on a more even and restrictive playing field. Just a thought.

Or limited Playtime.

And im searching for some artist who is into scifi stuff.

Perhaps 2-3 hours at most?

2-3 hours is hard for a newcomer. I remember that i needed like 3 hours for just 5 minutes of clunky shit. So 1 hour of a good game is doable in a few weeks. I would say 1-1.5 hours. A few need to learn how to make games.

Here are my tips for everyone :
1. Make sure you dont lose your time with too many features or a big story. Start small/slow and expand if you have enough time left.

2. If its Gameplay focused : Make a test level to test your gameplay elements. Then make your levels as fast as possible to test if its even fun. And let others play your testlevels. Because you made the game you will probably have no problem getting trough it. Others will probably think its too hard or too easy so let other test it.

3. If its Story focused : Write down your story and present it. Ask people if they like the story or what could be better. And most importantly : Is it understandable.

In the Humble Bundle, why would I pay more for XP if VX is the newest one and can be had at the base price/level?

Edit: Serious question, as I'm about to make a purchase in a minute. I'd like to avoid usless clutter so I'd like to know if there is a solid reason as to why I should or shouldn't bother with XP. Thanks in advance.

Aon

2-3 hours is hard for a newcomer. I remember that i needed like 3 hours for just 5 minutes of clunky shit. So 1 hour of a good game is doable in a few weeks. I would say 1-1.5 hours. A few need to learn how to make games.

Sorry, I was just referencing the length Dusk Golem had arrived at earlier in the thread.

Dusk Golem

Here are my tips for everyone :
1. Make sure you dont lose your time with too many features or a big story. Start small/slow and expand if you have enough time left.

2. If its Gameplay focused : Make a test level to test your gameplay elements. Then make your levels as fast as possible to test if its even fun. And let others play your testlevels. Because you made the game you will probably have no problem getting trough it. Others will probably think its too hard or too easy so let other test it.

3. If its Story focused : Write down your story and present it. Ask people if they like the story or what could be better. And most importantly : Is it understandable.

Sorry, I was just referencing the length Dusk Golem had arrived at earlier in the thread.

Not bad tips, and a general rule decided was to tell people not to aim to make a game longer than 2-3 hours at most, not as an 'average' time for the game.

There are some restrictions for future things like this if this goes over well, but for now I want to keep it pretty free range to see how it does with freedom as well. Of course, we won't really know until all the game's are completed and the deadline strikes on August 7th 11:59 PM PST. For now I also consider this a good time to do this as RPG Maker is so cheap right now and the lengthy time slot is to help newcomers learn the programmer, accommodate for time (some will have a lot more, but others will be able to hop aboard as well), and I'm more focused on the community and making a game aspect than the competitive aspect.

On that, I had been developing some ideas to change for the prizepool system to make it fair and interesting, but need a bit more time to figure exactly how that'd work.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Playtime is such a hard thing to measure though. For this challenge the 2-3 hours was mostly giving so people don't go overboard and try to make a 60+ hour quest and fall over at the start line.

Dusk Golem

In the Humble Bundle, why would I pay more for XP if VX is the newest one and can be had at the base price/level?

Edit: Serious question, as I'm about to make a purchase in a minute. I'd like to avoid usless clutter so I'd like to know if there is a solid reason as to why I should or shouldn't bother with XP. Thanks in advance.

XP is preferred by some people for its better mapping system and default graphic style and space-consuming (XP has a mapping system that'll allow for unlimited tilesheets and multiple layers for mapping, VX Ace has a limit of 5 tilesheets per map, and limited layers. XP has larger sprites and tile space than VX Ace). VX Ace however uses Ruby Scripting, which allows a lot of freedom and modification in the engine to do a lot of interesting things, has a better overlay system, has a better audio player (and allows more audio formats), and has a simpler to use layout. Some prefer XP to VX Ace, but if you're uncertain I'd say just stick with VX Ace, as the benefits to XP are more beneficial if you know the few things XP does better and determine its benefits outweigh the positive of VX Ace for yourself (which would mostly be true if you wanted to do more complex mapping or have an easier time with larger sprites).

If you don't own To The Moon though, I'd suggest the $6 tier as that game is quite good, story and music wise especially.

Dusk Golem

Playtime is such a hard thing to measure though. For this challenge the 2-3 hours was mostly giving so people don't go overboard and try to make a 60+ hour quest and fall over at the start line.

Correct as well, I don't mean to have n exact measure, it's just basically saying don't go overboard. For example, my game will have puzzles in it and exploration, so a person could take a lot longer on the game if they took part in those elements or got stumped.

In some past short games I've made in like, 2-5 days, I added some puzzles and difficult sections that ended up stumping a lot more people than I expected, making their play time a lot longer than I anticipated. I've learned a lot from those short projects though.There's something a bit wrong when a game I expected to take people 30-60 minutes is taking most players 3+ hours to complete.
In the example I'm citing, it was my fault though. I made the beginning levels brutally difficult and there were a few puzzles where I provided what appeared to be multiple possibilities of what you were supposed to do, they were too convoluted and cryptic.

PsionBolt

It really is. If your game is heavy on dialogue, the player's reading speed could easily change what you thought was a 2-hour game into 1 hour or 4. Similarly, if your game is battle-heavy, a less skilled player might be tempted to grind and increase playtime that way.

I do think that it's good to emphasize "short", but specific numbers don't mean much in the end.

XP is preferred by some people for its better mapping system and default graphic style and space-consuming (XP has a mapping system that'll allow for unlimited tilesheets and multiple layers for mapping, VX Ace has a limit of 5 tilesheets per map, and limited layers. XP has larger sprites and tile space than VX Ace). VX Ace however uses Ruby Scripting, which allows a lot of freedom and modification in the engine to do a lot of interesting things, has a better overlay system, has a better audio player (and allows more audio formats), and has a simpler to use layout. Some prefer XP to VX Ace, but if you're uncertain I'd say just stick with VX Ace, as the benefits to XP are more beneficial if you know the few things XP does better and determine its benefits outweigh the positive of VX Ace for yourself (which would mostly be true if you wanted to do more complex mapping or have an easier time with larger sprites).

If you don't own To The Moon though, I'd suggest the $6 tier as that game is quite good, story and music wise especially.

I actually decided to convert RPG Maker XP character sprites for use in RPG Maker VX Ace because I can't stand the stout, pudgy look of conventional VX Ace sprites.

Took a little bit of configuration and testing, but they work pretty well right now.

tensuke

This is a very cool idea, Dusk Golem! I figure I'll throw my hat in the ring as well and see what I come up with. It's exciting to see so many people interested in making games thanks to the Humble Bundle. Hopefully it means there's a new RPG Maker in the works...:)

Oh and I'm pretty sure MP3s work fine in XP and VX Ace natively (at least I've never had any issues with them).

esterk

Are you guys taking screen caps for the screenshots or is there a way to actually get a screenshot of your game to post?

Nachos

I just bought the bundle, so I'm looking forward to tinkering with them.

Also, can we have an explicit stance on using music not from games without the creator's permission? I figure it's a no-go, but it'd be nice to have it in the OP.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I just bought the bundle, so I'm looking forward to tinkering with them.

Also, can we have an explicit stance on using music not from games without the creator's permission? I figure it's a no-go, but it'd be nice to have it in the OP.
Since this is just a fun contest music choices are open to anything as long as you give credit. OP just gave the warning that doing so may cause people to be kicked out of the moment if they suddenly recognise the theme.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Hmm.. this is so tempting to jump into and re-make my old Commodore 64 epic "Attack of the Dildo Bunnyfuckers" from the Adventure Construction Set.

legacyzero

Banned
Main character. Before and after "The Fall".

iXhhixgZ08nPF.png

He's pale from what he just witness, and not to mention, got beat up pretty bad himself.

ZServ

16 hours in, and I don't even have a single room completed yet.

I dunno if I'll make the deadline at this rate. Yeesh.

Top Bottom