• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HEY HEY HEY! "Blurred Lines" stays at No. 1, fending off Katy Perry & Gaga

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIMIC

Banned
Katy Perry debuts at No. 2, Lady Gaga comes in at No. 6, and Robin Thicke & Co. remain at No. 1.

8NHwxUq.jpg

'Blurred Lines,' featuring T.I. and Pharrell, leads for an 11th week, fending off Katy Perry's 'Roar,' which rockets 85-2. Plus, Lady Gaga's 'Applause' debuts at No. 6
In an extremely close race, Robin Thicke tops the Billboard Hot 100 for an 11th week with "Blurred Lines" (featuring T.I. and Pharrell). The song narrowly holds off Katy Perry's "Roar," which blasts 85-2 following its first full week of sales. Lady Gaga's "Applause" adds to the top 10's shakeup, debuting at No. 6, also after its first week of sales.

Despite "Roar" arriving as the top-selling song in the U.S., Thicke's lead in streaming and airplay is just enough for "Lines" to fend off Perry's challenge.

"Lines" leads Radio Songs for a seventh week, gaining by 1% to a record-extending 228.9 million all-format audience impressions, according to Nielsen BDS. It posts a seventh week atop the subscription services-based On-Demand Songs chart (1.8 million U.S. streams, down 13%, according to BDS), while holding at No. 2 on Streaming Songs (6.6 million, down 13%). On Digital Songs, "Lines" dips 1-2 after 10 frames on top with 291,000 downloads sold (down 16%), according to Nielsen SoundScan.

The song also logs an 11th week at No. 1 on Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs and a 14th week atop R&B Songs, while becoming just the 18th title to dominate the Hot 100 for at least 11 weeks.

Despite its declines in sales and streaming, "Lines" manages to maintain its spot atop the Hot 100 over "Roar," which makes the chart's greatest positional jump since Drake's "Make Me Proud" (featuring Nicki Minaj) flew 97-9 the week of Nov. 5, 2011; it's the largest leap for a song by a lead female since Carrie Underwood's "Cowboy Casanova" galloped 96-11 the week of Oct. 10, 2009.

"Lines" and "Roar," in fact, are separated by just a 3.3% difference in overall chart points (with "Lines" down by 9% and "Roar" up by 1,262%).

"Roar" does just that, skyrocketing 85-2 in its second week on the Hot 100. Last week, the song dented the chart via its No. 29 start on Radio Songs (40 million) due solely to its first four days of airplay. The song vaults with top Airplay Gainer honors, lifting 29-13 on Radio Songs (63 million, up 56%). Still, it's the track's first week of sales that largely powers its Hot 100 move, as "Roar" debuts atop Digital Songs with 557,000. As previously reported, the bow marks the sixth-largest sales week for a digital song, Perry's best sum and the biggest total for Capitol Records.

"Roar" also charges onto Streaming Songs at No. 4 (3.8 million) and No. 12 on On-Demand Songs (910,000). On the former chart, the track marks the highest debut by a solo female dating to the list's launch the week of Jan. 26.

[...]

Does Perry's runner-up start on the Hot 100 mean that "Roar" won't reach No. 1? Not necessarily. Airplay for "Lines," while still gaining, appears to be cresting, while its sales and streaming continue to decline. As airplay for "Roar" rises, along with expected streaming gains, sustained strong sales could still push it to the Hot 100's apex. For instance, "California Gurls" (featuring Snoop Dogg), the lead single from "Teenage Dream," also entered the Hot 100 at No. 2 (May 29, 2010). It dipped to No. 3 and then rebounded to No. 2 before spending six weeks at No. 1. Similar to how "Roar" trails an established smash in "Lines," "Gurls" waited out Usher's "OMG" (featuring will.i.am), which topped the Hot 100 in each of the first three chart weeks for "Gurls" before the latter took over at the top.

As Perry powers to No. 2 on the Hot 100, Miley Cyrus' "We Can't Stop" drops 2-3 after three nonconsecutive weeks at its No. 2 peak. Still, "Stop" scores a ninth week atop Streaming Songs (6.9 million, down 11%). It slides 3-6 on Digital Songs (148,000, down 6%) but advances 22-18 on Radio Songs (51 million, up 8%).
Billboard

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Pharrell is riculously good at pumping out hits.

NinjaBoiX

There are still people that want this track that have yet to aquire it? Damn...

Man, I'm so done with it! It's a decent pip record no doubt, but the repetitive nature of the tune, and the sheer frequency with which its played has absolutely killed it.

I've just got to turn it off the second I hear it now!

MIMIC

Banned
Some trivia: "Blurred Lines" joins 5 other songs that have spent 11 weeks at the top spot on the Hot 100:

11 Weeks
Blurred Lines (Robin Thicke, Pharrell & T.I.)
Independent Women Pt 1 (Destiny's Child)
I'll Be Missing You (Puff Daddy, Faith Evans & 112)
Unbreak My Heart (Toni Braxton)
I Swear (All-4-One)
Hound Dog / Don't Be Cruel (Elvis Presley)

The record for most weeks spent at No. 1 is held by Mariah Carey & Boyz II Men. Their song "One Sweetest Day" spent 16 weeks a No. 1.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm surprised I've never even heard this song. Its not like I'm insulated from mainstream radio while driving my wife's car around either.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I just fired it up on YouTube and no thanks.

Is Robin Thicke related to Alan? I know that's a random question given all they share is a last name.

Stet

Banned
I just fired it up on YouTube and no thanks.

Is Robin Thicke related to Alan? I know that's a random question given all they share is a last name.

Robin Thicke once guest-starred on Growing Pains as one of Kirk Cameron's school friends (not Boner) but was not asked back as Kirk's contract demanded he be the most insufferable person on set at all times.

Guevara

I don't get this song at all. It's extremely repetitive and doesn't seem to go anywhere. And usually I like this kind of white boy R&B shit.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
When this douche went on Colbert I laughed for a good five minutes at how utterly incapable he is at singing

Still haven't heard Blurred Lines, honestly. Watched the original (only?) video on mute when it got buzz months ago, but I don't listen to the radio and I'm not in a place where I would hear it constantly. Maybe I'll listen to it one of these days.

But no matter. Slayty will take the top spot soon enough, and will dominate throughout the era. #Prism

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I don't listen to the radio at all period so I can't say that I'm sick of the song like some of you are saying - it's catchy as hell and it gets the club moving with a nice, simple, hard beat so I still dig the song whenever I hear it.

MIMIC

Banned
I fuckin LOVE this song. I don't think I've ever still loved a song this much after being played this long on the radio (well, maybe Mariah Carey's "We Belong Together"). I just really dig the throwback vibe.

After T.I.'s verse, we're all at the disco doin the swim (or whatever they did back then =p)

ToxicAdam

Speaks more to how shitty the Perry & Gaga songs are.

Sara Bareilles' song 'Brave' is probably the best pop song right now.

Kurita

Not a fan of the three artists (I didn't even know who Thicke was) but I have to say that Blurred Lines is better and catchier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom