• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey, hey, hey! Wanna play the best non-Dreamcast version of Crazy Taxi?

dock

Suts9zn.jpg

Had a hankering for some Dreamcast time yesterday and found myself playing this amazing game again.

I was wondering, other than Dreamcast, which is the best edition of Crazy Taxi?
It must have all the music and branding, of course! Widescreen and prog scan would be nice.

I have the PS2 edition too, and wondered if the GameCube version has better image quality.
it's a shame there's no way to hack to original content into the HD versions.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
To answer your question: Ya ya ya ya ya.

I've never actually played the series but it looks damn fun. Wasn't there a version of it out on PC also? I seem to remember playing a demo way back

Edit: Hell it's on Sale for 2 bucks on Steam and apparently you can mod in the original music tracks for dat Offspring flavour

The licensing deals ran out after the Arcade and DC port. I think it's the only way to play with the Offspring, Bad Religion, and KFCs.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
You can at least put the original music back in the PC version.

Instructions here.

I just found that apparently there's a mod that restores analog control to the game as well and these are the only two issues I've found about it. Game should run on a toaster by today's standards too

Rich!

The licensing deals ran out after the Arcade and DC port. I think it's the only way to play with the Offspring, Bad Religion, and KFCs.

It's actually easy to mod them back into the GC version. The audio format is standard adx if I remember correctly, and it's easy to replace the audio tracks with any of your choice within the ISO simply using the dolphin browser for use either on a real GC/Wii/Wii U or via dolphin in HD.

In my opinion, having played the versions for GameCube, PS2, GBA, PC and PSP the GameCube version is possibly the go-to version.

I really wish I still had it but I only borrowed it from a friend once who has since moved away. I know of no one else who has the GameCube version of this fantastic game.

EDIT: Also the GC version has all the licensing intact as well.

Tizoc

In my opinion, having played the versions for GameCube, PS2, GBA, PC and PSP the GameCube version is possibly the go-to version.

I really wish I still had it but I only borrowed it from a friend once who has since moved away. I know of no one else who has the GameCube version of this fantastic game.

EDIT: Also the GC version has all the licensing intact as well.
Doesnt gc ver have slowdowns? Or does dolphin resolve that?

This was actually my first GameCube game, back in 2001. It's also one of the only games I've ever owned that I've somehow managed to lose - which is a real bummer because I really want to dive back into it again. Hope I can find my copy sometime.

dock

Emulation doesn't seem especially 'native HD'

I just fired up the GC version, and it definitely has all the licensing intact. Plays really nicely on the Wavebird, feels pretty similar to the DC gamepad, and it displays a little sharper thanks to component cables.

The textures have definitely taken a hit from the DC original. Maybe they were scaled down to the PS2 size during the port. It's quite a bummer, as everything looks a bit smeary up close.

DarkTom

Gamecube version is great but that's the only one I know besides the arcade one.

Actually Crazy Taxi is my favorite GameCube game !

Rlan

Secretly the iPhone version is very good. Has true widescreen (compared to the shitty XBLA version which kind of fudged it) and has the original music. No KFC though.

Grizzo

There's no licensing issue on the GameCube version. All tracks from Bad Religion and OffSpring are there, as well as KFC, Fila, Foot Locker and all the other brands.

(this was my very first game on the platform)

Doesnt gc ver have slowdowns? Or does dolphin resolve that?

I'm pretty sure it runs smoother than the PS2 version. Personally I never noticed any slowdowns in the arcade city. There are some slowdowns in the original city though, but those are relatively insignificant.
Never played the original city on PS2 so I have no comparison for that.

EDIT: Looking at this HG101 article I found this regarding the technical performance on PS2 and GameCube as well as differences in the latter:

Once Sega left the hardware business, other companies were scrambling to pick up some franchises to port over to other consoles. Acclaim went ahead and developed and published Crazy Taxi for the PlayStation 2 first, then for the Game Cube as one of the system's launch titles. Both versions have a lot more graphical hiccups, including way more clipping errors. There's also a weird audio glitch in the PS2 version in Crazy Box mode where a song will start playing for five seconds then randomly change. A weird alteration for the Gamecube is that the port has different voice actors/actresses. Other than that, it's exactly the same as the Dreamcast version.

So yeah. Some slight technical hiccups apparently on both consoles, different voice actors for the GameCube version, other than that everything else is intact.
I would still give the medal to the GameCube version because the GameCube controller feels just so much more right for this game than the PS2 controller does.

Lettuce

So the PC version doesnt look as good or perform as well as the GC version?.

What about the XBox version?, though that had all the cites from the previous games?

Dante83

Banned
IOS version is pretty damn good if played on ipad pro. Zero slowdowns, and looks great. The hd releases on ps3/360 had different music, while the ios version retains the original music. The only thing missing from ios are the intro sequences, if you care about it. GC/ps2 had some slowdowns and the music volume seems lower. The worst version is the android one. It runs at a fixed, lower frame rate no matter how powerful of an android phone you use...

Is the GC version actually any good? I seem to remember it being developed by Acclaim Cheltenham, which seems interesting, since they have experience with this sort of game, though I wonder how faithful it was?

Its been a year or more since I played it, but i remember it feeling and playing exactly like Crazy Taxi should. Runs great on Dolphin too.

Rlan

The thing that really miffed me was the change in BD Joe's voice from Arcade / Dreamcast to all other versions. Such a downgrade.

Tizoc

I'm pretty sure it runs smoother than the PS2 version. Personally I never noticed any slowdowns in the arcade city. There are some slowdowns in the original city though, but those are relatively insignificant.
Never played the original city on PS2 so I have no comparison for that.

EDIT: Looking at this HG101 article I found this regarding the technical performance on PS2 and GameCube as well as differences in the latter:

So yeah. Some slight technical hiccups apparently on both consoles, different voice actors for the GameCube version, other than that everything else is intact.
I would still give the medal to the GameCube version because the GameCube controller feels just so much more right for this game than the PS2 controller does.

Interesting, I'd like to see footage of the game running on Dolphin though.

Isn't there a way to put the music back in the PC version?

Read the posts in this thread :V

dock

This thread is heartbreaking. I'd really support a kickstarter to crowd fund a good modern edition of this game. Seriously, I'm in for £50 just to see the arcade version released intact with brands and music in place.

I dread to imagine the hoops that would have to be jumped through to make something like this happen, but it seems criminal that such an excellent game should wilt on the vine with increasingly weird versions.

It's great that the iOS version has the music, but 'take me to the clothing store' doesn't have the impact of hunting out for big bold logos.

The iOS version is bloody amazing. I have the dreamcast and the ps2 versions but i still play it on my iPad.

You double tap drive to boost and double tap left or right to drift. I get the highest scores I've ever had on this version. It also includes original mode and crazy box. It has the original music too

It's ad supported, but there's a bug where the ads don't load, so it's basically just free.

kinggroin

Banned
I just found that apparently there's a mod that restores analog control to the game as well and these are the only two issues I've found about it. Game should run on a toaster by today's standards too

You'd be surprised, but the PC version runs horribly.

I have an nvidia 970.

The port doesn't hold 60fps whatsoever and has all sorts of odd visual glitches.

Edit: Better off just emulating the DC copy. Seriously. If your CPU is a decent i5, you can lock it at 60fps and run it at 1080p.

meppi

I've gotten every single port for this game and in the end, the Dreamcast one is still the best one to play by far.

OP, have you tried Crazy Taxi 2 and 3? I'd imagine you'd like those as well.

Neither of those are anywhere near as good as the original though.

Mohasus

You'd be surprised, but the PC version runs horribly.

I have an nvidia 970.

The port doesn't hold 60fps whatsoever and has all sorts of odd visual glitches.

Edit: Better off just emulating the DC copy. Seriously. If your CPU is a decent i5, you can lock it at 60fps and run it at 1080p.

Original port or HD port?

I played the HD port a few months ago and everything was fine.

The fact that it played so perfectly on the GameCube is one of the reasons I was okay unplugging my Deancast.

There was never a game that I ever saw turn more non-gamers into gamers. It was simple, fast, beautiful, and fun as heck. Everyone loved it.

Top Bottom