• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey, hey, hey! Wanna play the best non-Dreamcast version of Crazy Taxi?

Side note: why in the world were the Dreamcast controller cables so damn short? Every time I consider getting mine out, I remember that I have to sit 4 feet from the TV in the middle of my floor and put it away again :(

Ragnarok

Dreamcast versions or bust. PC version is god awful even when you patch in the analog controls (the fact you have to patch it in is telling imo about the quality of the port). The controls still feel bad and it's plagued with terrible performance issues. I could never get a fluid experience. Nothing even close to how it plays on DC.

The 360 version plays pretty well but the new music is garbage so it really detracts from the experience too.

Some day I'll get the arcade version.

Ragnarok

Side note: why in the world were the Dreamcast controller cables so damn short? Every time I consider getting mine out, I remember that I have to sit 4 feet from the TV in the middle of my floor and put it away again :(
Product of the time when everyone was playing on either small crt televisions (where 32 inches was big screen) or a small computer monitor (If you were rich and could afford the vga cable) . So they figured you'd be sitting close to the tv to be able to see it.

They do have extension cables I believe

G0523

I've gotten every single port for this game and in the end, the Dreamcast one is still the best one to play by far.

Neither of those are anywhere near as good as the original though.

True, but it's good to know that there are plenty of options. Especially since in 2 and 3, you can unlock practically everything from the first game.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Frankly, OP, I think you should just play the DC version, even if it's less convenient. Don't deny yourself the real deal version of such a great game.

I've actually been down this road of trying to find a good way to play Crazy Taxi.

The PC version is garbage. It was covered earlier about the performance hiccups, but worst yet are the controls. The HD re-release of Crazy Taxi doesn't support analog input. It doesn't matter if you use the analog stick, or even a racing wheel... it's all treated like steering with a d-pad. Abysmal.

Emulating the Dreamcast version is tricky. I've never been able to get Crazy Taxi 1 to work on NullDC, only Crazy Taxi 2. The latest version of RetroArch lets you use Reicast, and while I have gotten Crazy Taxi 1 to boot, emulation leaves something to be desired.

Emulating the Playstation 2 version is decent. PCSX2 seems to handle the game well, but I don't know if it's an emulation bug or what, but the game seems to have a crummy motion blur filter applied to it that isn't in any other version of the game. Also, because it's the PS2, you don't get triggers for acceleration.

Emulating the Gamecube version seems to be perfect. Dolphin emulates it perfectly, you get the standard analog triggers, all of the music and real-world locations are intact, and there's no motion blur filter. If you can emulate this version, this is what you want.

I can't really speak for emulating the arcade version because I've never tried it. Emulating arcade games, especially 3D accelerated arcade games, always seems like a massive headache. As an aside:

The mobile port of Crazy Taxi is surprisingly good. It's not perfect, but you get the original music and the game adapts pretty well to touch/tilt controls.

The Gameboy Advance port was good for a laugh once. I really liked it when it first came out, but there's no sense in bothering with it now.

I hoping for an Apple TV port of the current iOS version. Would be sweet on the big screen. Shame about the licensing but at least it has the music.

Ban Puncher

The best way to play Crazy Taxi.

0KH3HV6.jpg

The IrishNinja beacon has been lit!

@MUWANdo

Banned
I thought the multiplayer mode they added to the PSP port was neat. Did they reuse that mode in any of the other ports?

Hardvlade

I wish there would've been a good re-release of Crazy Taxi 3. (Since it basically had all 3 games in one, all characters and all the music/stores).

Dante83

Banned
I just played the emulated naomi arcade version of crazy taxi, and without counting the extras of the home console versions, it is the best looking version of the original crazy taxi 1. The cloud textures are a lot better than every version released, and sky has a nicer blue tone to it. I can't believe that I did not notice it all these years.

The xbox version of crazy taxi 3's enhanced west coast stage looks really good as well, but the jump mechanics make it feel weird. The new areas are pretty cool as well.

dock

Ah, the Naomi version of Crazy Taxi sounds interesting! I played that plenty in the arcade before the Dreamcast and didn't notice the downgrade, but there's always something. Shame I don't have the PC hardware for Naomi emulation (just a Surface Pro 4).

OP, have you tried Crazy Taxi 2 and 3? I'd imagine you'd like those as well.
I pre-ordered Crazy Taxi 2 and really really wanted to like it. I'd just come back from living in NYC for a couple of years so the setting appealed, but they really jumped the shark with the 'crazy hop' button. Crazy Taxi 3 looked awful so I steered clear.

Fox Mulder

All consoles had short cables, we were sitting feet away from like 20 inch CRTs. There's cable extensions for most now though.

cireza

That would be Crazy Taxi 3 on the Xbox, which includes the maps from Crazy Taxi 1 and 2 as well.
Only 1 map from CT1 and 1 from CT2. So still two maps are missing.

For reasons I can't explain, I also had a very bad experience with this game. It felt like I had to push the button extremely hard to accelerate. But my controller works perfectly fine with all other games.

Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah PC version probably nets you the best performance (DEmul and Dolphin require a bit of grunt to get going at full speed at HD iternal res and proper AA) and as others have said you can mod it to fix whatever stuff you might be missing, the audio for sure, I think there's a mod for all the original ads too but I don't recall.

Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah PC version probably nets you the best performance (DEmul and Dolphin require a bit of grunt to get going at full speed at HD iternal res and proper AA) and as others have said you can mod it to fix whatever stuff you might be missing, the audio for sure, I think there's a mod for all the original ads too but I don't recall.

Can't mod proper analog controls in to the PC version, so unless Sega fixes that it will always be inferior :p

Quasicat

GameCube version played in native HD and widescreen via Dolphin.
I agree with this one.

I also play Crazy Taxi on Xbox but I use the music from the Dreamcast. I pulled an mp3 of the game playing with all sound effects off for 10 minutes and play it through the mp3 player app on the Xbox. It’s as perfect as it’s ever going to get. Wow that Xbox music is just terrible.

Top Bottom