• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey, how come Sony didn't invest in any big 3rd party exclusives?

I had some second thoughts about doing this, but what the hell? I don't think it will matter if it's like this. Sony has exclusive games coming from the following:

- Sega
- Capcom
- Level-5
- Namco Bandai
- Lockstarter (lol)
- Lazyeye (lol)
- Warner Bros.
- Koei

Some others too but will not say those just yet. This isn't including partnerships which wouldn't really be third party. It's okay though guys, Sony doesn't have any money. Poor people for a reason. Lockstarter? Who has even heard of them? Exactly.

Having said that, the larger focus is on improving their first party teams and taking things from there.

Edit -

Someone in the list who shouldn't be. Removed for now...

Who got the stealth edit? C'mon, CBOAT it!

This does sound very promising tho. Interested in Capcom, Namco and Sega's stuff in particular.

Liha

Banned
The AAA titles will come 2014/2015.

What was the last good exclusive Xbox game in the last 12 months?

Sony released TLoU and Beyond: Two Souls will hit us next month. The developers had not enough ressources for launch games.

Zok310

Banned
I think its great that they didn't, keep the money in house and push WWS to become better. And is it worth paying for time exclusives now a-day-anyway.

Leflus

So were Mass Effect and Ninja Gaiden.
This has already been adressed. Mass Effect came to the PS3 because Bioware got aquired by EA.

The same can't be said for Ninja Gaiden II, though. That game was probably always meant to be a timed exclusive.
Tecmo/Tecmo-Koei was perfectly capable of launching Ninja Gaiden and Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 on their own.

Gavarms

I think that one of the Sega games could be VF6.
That is one genre that hasn't been covered by ether systems announcements so far afaik

Please note I didn't mention Killzone in my post. I think that's going to a very solid launch title.

Knack and Driveclub are the two games that just irritate me to no end though, as they just seem like a waste of money IMO. No one gives a shit about these games. Well, almost no one, and they're going to get very mediocre review scores.

This is a classic case of someone projecting their own personal views onto everyone else. You don't care about those games so therefore it's a waste of money and will get terrible reviews. DriveClub is made by Evolution one of the most talented studios Sony has. Motorstorm has consistently reviewed well and sold well enough to spawn two sequels.

And you didn't mention Killzone because your whole argument won't make sense. And also conveniently left out Infamous coming in 2014 while gush about Titanfall. You could do this exact same thing to the x1 lineup or any lineup for that matter.

"Ryse is a waste of money and nobody wants it, KI lacks any content at launch and will review poorly, I won't mention Forza because I think it's a solid launch title, I'll forget about Titanfall coming out in 2014."

cornerman

That prostitute will whore herself out to other customers the following night. Titanfall is coming to ps4.

And it's also coming to 360 and PC, so that prostitute will also screw your dad and uncle behind your back, too.

you guys are killing me with the analogies...lmao...

Sony realizes that they can wait for timed exclusives to come to their console (and very likely the games will have extra content and maybe even run better) while they invest in their own studios. It's the best of both worlds.

Sony will probably bid for exclusives from mid-level developers over the course of the PS4 life span. Those small developer exclusives they have - RIME, Rapture, SOTB etc.. - are pretty good for the moment selling to a hardcore-minded gamer set.

Also, launch day 3rd party exclusives are quite high risk regarding quality because of deadlines, so waiting for an "LBP/Heavy Rain" stye pitch from a developer is a better idea.

Replicant

Sony realizes that they can wait for timed exclusives to come to their console (and very likely the games will have extra content and maybe even run better) while they invest in their own studios. It's the best of both worlds.

Come to think of it, it's crazy how Sony basically used the entire PS3 gen as a testing bed to develop and grow their 1st party lineups. But the result of that development started to pay off halfway through PS3' lifespan and we're now seeing Sony with 1st party lineups that people actually want to play on PS4.

Derrick01

Banned
That Level 5 game better be Dark Cloud 3 even though I know Level 5 sucks now. I just want that game to exist.

Warner Bros if it's not Batman or a new IP from Rocksteady then I have a hard time caring. I don't think they have any other noteworthy teams and the other IPs they have like Lord of the Rings they're always half assing games in them.

Amazing hints from Verendus as usual. Also when you include games like Sunset Overdrive, then games from Quantic Dream and The Order for example also count for Sony.

Xbox One is getting DR3, RYSE, Titanfall and that Insomniac game exclusively. Sony has a lot of good games too, but nothing exclusive from 3rd parties. Seems like Sony invested a lot of money into smaller indie games but most people don't care about those.

Why couldn't they just get 1 or 2 exclusive 3rd parties? They are good with Ubisoft maybe they should have paid them more to get Watch Dogs to release early on the PS4.

Because if I'm them, I'd rather give that money to Naughty Dog and SSM.

Some others too but will not say those just yet. This isn't including partnerships which wouldn't really be third party.

Verendus doesn't mention devs which are their 2nd party, that means Level 5's title could be Ni no Kuni 2
I hope SCEJ will collaborate with some talented Japanese devs.

Soi-Fong

I had some second thoughts about doing this, but what the hell? I don't think it will matter if it's like this. Sony has exclusive games coming from the following:

- Sega
- Capcom
- Level-5
- Namco Bandai
- Lockstarter (lol)
- Lazyeye (lol)
- Warner Bros.
- Koei

Some others too but will not say those just yet. This isn't including partnerships which wouldn't really be third party. It's okay though guys, Sony doesn't have any money. Poor people for a reason. Lockstarter? Who has even heard of them? Exactly.

Having said that, the larger focus is on improving their first party teams and taking things from there.

Edit -

Tis missing Atlus... I'm sad... :(

This is a classic case of someone projecting their own personal views onto everyone else. You don't care about those games so therefore it's a waste of money and will get terrible reviews. DriveClub is made by Evolution one of the most talented studios Sony has. Motorstorm has consistently reviewed well and sold well enough to spawn two sequels.

And you didn't mention Killzone because your whole argument won't make sense. And also conveniently left out Infamous coming in 2014 while gush about Titanfall. You could do this exact same thing to the x1 lineup or any lineup for that matter.

"Ryse is a waste of money and nobody wants it, KI lacks any content at launch and will review poorly, I won't mention Forza because I think it's a solid launch title, I'll forget about Titanfall coming out in 2014."

No, I'm projecting the viewpoint the vast majority of people seem to have about those games. No one in the gaming media is talking highly of Driveclub and Knack. They've gotten hands on time with both at recent trade shows, and again, no one cares. They're both going to bomb hard.

I've lost faith in Evolution as a studio. Each of the Motorstorm games failed to notably improve on the original, and in some ways they were steps backwards. The Metacritic scores also regressed with each game. Now they're throwing this uninspired pile out for the PS4 and it just leaves me depressed. At the very least Motorstorm offered up a nice looking off-road racer. When I first heard them describe Driveclub at the February event, the first thought that went though my head was "no one is asking for a team based racer". Sure enough, launch is around the corner and the buzz for this game is non existent.

The problem with Driveclub compared to a game like Ryse, is that Microsoft can dump Ryse like a bad habit if the game underperforms. The end. Sony unfortunately owns Evolution, and thus I fear we're going to be stuck with Driveclub sequels for the life of the PS4. I hope to god that isn't the case, but I fear it will be.

N.Domixis

Banned
lazyeye
An eye can be seen in the Neversoft logo
Neversoft is part of Activision
Activision are lazy, rehash Call of Duty every year
a year is 365 days
5-6-3 is equal to = -4
Call of Duty became mainstream with Cod: 4 MW
Crash Bandicoot is now owned by Activision
Activision making Crash Bandicoot 4 confirmed!

squidyj

lazyeye
An eye can be seen in the Neversoft logo
Neversoft is part of Activision
Activision are lazy, rehash Call of Duty every year
a year is 365 days
5-6-3 is equal to = -4
Call of Duty became mainstream with Cod: 4 MW
Crash Bandicoot is now owned by Activision
Activision making Crash Bandicoot 4 confirmed!

It almost seems too obvious.

Would be amazing if Naughty Dog got to make another Crash game.

Also, let me see if I got this right:

1st Party = a game funded and published by a console holder, regardless if they own the company and/or IP.
Examples:
- Company and IP owned: Mario, Uncharted, Halo

- IP owned, but not the company: Sony and Quantic Dream (Beyond), Microsoft and Remedy (Quantum break), Nintendo and Platinum (Wonderful 101)

- IP and Company not owned: MS: Gears of War, Alan Wake, Mass Effect 1, Too Human. Nintendo: Bayonetta 2, Older Rare games (Not including DKC). Sony: Spyro.

- Company owned, not the IP: Sony: Crash Bandicoot

Second Party = Publisher doesn't fund game, only distributes the game. (According to Phil Spencer at the end of this podcast)
Examples: Dance Central (Microsoft), Ninja Gaiden series (Ninendo and Microsoft)

Third Party Exclusive = A game one of the console manufacturers pays to only appear on their console (often for a limited time). The console manufacturer does not fund the game.

Examples: Bioshock, Metal Gear Solid 4, Titan Fall.

And for those who missed it, CBOAT on Dead Rising:
drsing is xboxed froever. tahs our monesy.

gogosox8

Xbox One is getting DR3, RYSE, Titanfall and that Insomniac game exclusively. Sony has a lot of good games too, but nothing exclusive from 3rd parties. Seems like Sony invested a lot of money into smaller indie games but most people don't care about those.

Why couldn't they just get 1 or 2 exclusive 3rd parties? They are good with Ubisoft maybe they should have paid them more to get Watch Dogs to release early on the PS4.

Dead Rising 3 and Ryse aren't third party exclusives. They are being published by MS making them first party games. We already know Titanfall will end up on PC and probably the ps4 eventually. That's probably the reason why they don't have many 3rd party exclusives. They end up on the other platforms any way, so it doesn't really pay to have them exclusive to your console in the long run. Sony should focus on their first party studios and games since they have more than MS and keep building relationships with indies and it appears to have worked since a lot of indies are happy with Sony right now and it looks like there will be a lot of neat indie games on the ps4.

IIRC it was at the tail end of the PS2 cycle, or the beginning of the PS3 one... that Sony said that they'd rather invest in first party games over paying for 3rd party exclusives... this was before most of the previously Sony console exclusive franchises went multi-platform. I think they made the right choice... except for not locking up Monster Hunter for the Vita... that was a sorely needed exception.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
According to my tastes, the only thing the Playstation consoles have really been missing is a Halo-style arena shooter. If the Playstation 4 had something like that, I'd have zero interest in ever getting an Xbox One.

Krakn3Dfx

No, I'm projecting the viewpoint the vast majority of people seem to have about those games. No one in the gaming media is talking highly of Driveclub and Knack. They've gotten hands on time with both at recent trade shows, and again, no one cares. They're both going to bomb hard.

I've lost faith in Evolution as a studio. Each of the Motorstorm games failed to notably improve on the original, and in some ways they were steps backwards. The Metacritic scores also regressed with each game. Now they're throwing this uninspired pile out for the PS4 and it just leaves me depressed. At the very least Motorstorm offered up a nice looking off-road racer. When I first heard them describe Driveclub at the February event, the first thought that went though my head was "no one is asking for a team based racer". Sure enough, launch is around the corner and the buzz for this game is non existent.

The problem with Driveclub compared to a game like Ryse, is that Microsoft can dump Ryse like a bad habit if the game underperforms. The end. Sony unfortunately owns Evolution, and thus I fear we're going to be stuck with Driveclub sequels for the life of the PS4. I hope to god that isn't the case, but I fear it will be.

We'll talk again at launch when this game gets easy 8s and 9s and plates of crow are passed out to the congregation.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I'm not quite as negative on driveclub and knack as you are, but both of them kind of feel like vanity projects, something Sony let them do because they wanted to. For Cerny who hasn't made a game in 10 years, as payoff for working on PS4, and for evolution because they seem to be crazy about cars.

If driveclub doesn't do so well (or even if it does), I still think we'll see a motorstorm from them. Just hopefully not like apocalypse - go back to the natural rock/dust/mud/jungle of the first two games (and snow from the PSP)

Sony knows they can't outspend Microsoft to buy up 3rd party exclusives, so they're focusing on their own studios.

They cant outspend MS, but that doesn't mean they cant do some spending of their own.

Sure, they can't match MS in the number of third party exclusives, but they could snag one or two of their own.

BigDug13

They cant outspend MS, but that doesn't mean they cant do some spending of their own.

Sure, they can't match MS in the number of third party exclusives, but they could snag one or two of their own.

But why? They're not suffering in sales. They're not suffering in exclusive titles. They've completely got the momentum on their side right now. I fail to see the "need" to do it.

Any third party title that is not purchased on either side is a title that both sides get to enjoy and that is the BEST thing. So why the push for them to spend money for the sole purpose of cutting the game off from other gamers? System list warz? Honestly paying for exclusive third party games only hurts the gamer in general for the purposes of trying to deny the other company some console sales.

Microsoft and Sony aren't the ones firing all their developers because they're not seeing the game sales necessary to sustain the studios, publishers are. Locking games out from being sold across as many platforms as possible only hurts development studios. That's why even at best they get a "timed exclusive" because the moneyhats are nice and all, but the game creaters want everyone to experience their game because it builds their franchise's brand.

That's why they're in the business to make games so that as many people enjoy it as possible. Buying exclusive rights that effectively cuts the developer's audience in half for a fat paycheck is instant gratification but not really why they make their games.

I guess when you get down to it, yes, this thread is about Titanfall. It's irritating to me that Sony allowed Microsoft to swoop in and snatch up the biggest new IP for next gen. I'd rather not buy an XB1, but Titanfall will probably end up being the reason I do.

For the past few years I'd been wondering what Respawn was working on. I just knew whatever it was, it was going to be a big deal. So it's irritating to me on some level that Sony got outsmarted and 1up'd so badly on this. I would love to know if Sony even had talks with EA/Respawn, because if they didn't they're idiots.

If only Sony could have gotten the exact same deal instead of Microsoft, this generation might truly be over before it even started.

It probably doesn't exist anymore, instead we get Bully: College Years as a PS4 exclusive

This I have no problem with. Bully (Canis Canem Edit for us Europeans upon its release) is one of R*'s most fun games ever. Not necessarily their best, but definitely one of the most fun.

- Sega
- Capcom
- Level-5
- Namco Bandai
- Lockstarter (lol)
- Lazyeye (lol)
- Warner Bros.
- Koei

Edit -

Awesome, I love having proper insiders here on GAF :) I'm gonna go all-out with the hype and guess:

- Sega
VANQUISH 2! (probably a Yakuza game in reality)
- Capcom
OKAMI 2!
- Level-5
NI NO KUNI 2!
- Namco Bandai
DARK SOULS 3!
- Lockstarter (lol)
Um... yeah
- Lazyeye (lol)
As above
- Warner Bros.
BATMAN ARKHAM 4!
- Koei
WARRIORS WHATEVER!

What was the last good exclusive Xbox game in the last 12 months?

Halo 4. Gears Judgement.

This has already been adressed. Mass Effect came to the PS3 because Bioware got aquired by EA.

I imagine MS had a five year publishing deal on it, and when that expired EA brought the game to PS3.

1st Party = a game funded and published by a console holder, regardless if they own the company and/or IP.
Examples:
- Company and IP owned: Mario, Uncharted, Halo

- IP owned, but not the company: Sony and Quantic Dream (Beyond), Microsoft and Remedy (Quantum break), Nintendo and Platinum (Wonderful 101)

- IP and Company not owned: MS: Gears of War, Alan Wake, Mass Effect 1, Too Human. Nintendo: Bayonetta 2, Older Rare games (Not including DKC). Sony: Spyro.

- Company owned, not the IP: Sony: Crash Bandicoot

Second Party = Publisher doesn't fund game, only distributes the game. (According to Phil Spencer at the end of this podcast)
Examples: Dance Central (Microsoft), Ninja Gaiden series (Ninendo and Microsoft)

Third Party Exclusive = A game one of the console manufacturers pays to only appear on their console (often for a limited time). The console manufacturer does not fund the game.

Examples: Bioshock, Metal Gear Solid 4, Titan Fall.

I don't think there's any certain definition for the detail of each term (some people don't even agree with the term 'second party'), but here's what I think with regard to exclusives:

First party -
In-house developer, IP owned by the publisher.
Examples: Uncharted, Halo, Zelda

Second party -
Developed by an external company, IP owned by the publisher
Examples: Beyond: Two Souls, Ratchet & Clank, Helldivers, The Wonderful 101

Third party -
External developer, IP owned by the developer, often funded and published by one of the platform holders
Examples: Gears of War, Alan Wake, Mass Effect, Bayonetta 2, Dead Rising 3

I guess when you get down to it, yes, this thread is about Titanfall. It's irritating to me that Sony allowed Microsoft to swoop in and snatch up the biggest new IP for next gen. I'd rather not buy an XB1, but Titanfall will probably end up being the reason I do.

For the past few years I'd been wondering what Respawn was working on. I just knew whatever it was, it was going to be a big deal. So it's irritating to me on some level that Sony got outsmarted and 1up'd so badly on this. I would love to know if Sony even had talks with EA/Respawn, because if they didn't they're idiots.

If only Sony could have gotten the exact same deal instead of Microsoft, this generation might truly be over before it even started.

This generation will not be decided on one game, and Titanfall alone will not be that important. As for Sony not courting EA with large cheques, I imagine they'd rather put that $100 million (or whatever it cost) into their own studios like Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch and SSM than pay EA for a 12 month exclusive. I'm willing to bet Stig's SSM game will be as exciting as Titanfall. It's been about 3.5 years since GoWIII released, so I reckon it's a big impressive game and it'll be ready for release before the end of next year.

Top Bottom