• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideo Kojima at San Diego ComicCon

Kittonwy

Banned
Amir0x said:
VF5, MGS4, GT5 and DMC4 being PS3 exclusive force me to buy it down the line, damn it all. I guess I shouldn't be mad, it'll be a good system I'm sure when I can afford it. But *sigh*, cash and all. I love my sequels :D

What about the Naughty Dog game? Wouldn't you like to play that too?

Amir0x

Banned
Kittonwy said:
What about the Naughty Dog game? Wouldn't you like to play that too?

Probably, but there's honestly just not quite enough known for me to champion it yet. If it's all real-time and looks like that in the real final game, I'll definitely call it beautiful at least.

jett

D-Member
There's no way MGS4 will run at 1080p. **** I hope Kojima Productions isn't aiming for that res. I want 60fps god****ingdamnit.

jett

D-Member
Bud said:
is 1080p/60fps for mgs4 even possible on the ps3?

It sure is, it's part of the HDMI spec. A game that looks like MGS4 and runs at 1080p will not be running at 60fps, though, for obvious reaons. :p

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I don't like the 1080p bit. Give me 720p with a great framerate.

I'm hoping that 1080p becomes no more common than 720p was on XBOX...

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Amir0x said:
Probably, but there's honestly just not quite enough known for me to champion it yet. If it's all real-time and looks like that in the real final game, I'll definitely call it beautiful at least.

From IGNs Q&A interview with Evan Wells, who is a designer on the Naughty Dog PS3 project:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/710/710266p1.html
IGN: To begin, let us just say that your trailer looks pretty awesome and we were immediately interested the moment we saw it. We weren't the only ones either; did you expect it to go over as big as it did?

Evan Wells: We've been working hard on this game for quite some time so it is good to hear that the debut of our trailer was met with enthusiasm.

IGN: Definitely. Of course, we think that the most important question that a lot of people have right now is "how much of that footage was CG and how much was real-time?"

Wells: The entire trailer was rendered in real-time using our PS3 game engine. All of the models, textures, shaders and effects are in-game.

Here is a realtime video of that game on PS3:D

http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/812/812550/vids_1.html

Amir0x

Banned
I'm well aware of what they said, Klee.

But as per my new precautionary guidelines on all next-gen games, I believe nothing until I see someone playing it.

ypo

"No way it will fit on a DVD9."

Sounds to me that he and his teams are just ****ing lazy, all 200 of them.

Mrbob

Metal Gear Solid is on PS1

Metal Gear Solid 2 is on PS2

Metal Gear Solid 3 is on PS2

Metal Gear Acid 1 + 2 plus Metal Gear Portable Ops on PSP

The trend is to put Metal Gear Solid games on Playstation systems, so if you want MGS4 buy a PS3!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Mrbob said:
Metal Gear Solid is on PS1

Metal Gear Solid 2 is on PS2

Metal Gear Solid 3 is on PS2

Metal Gear Acid 1 + 2 plus Metal Gear Portable Ops on PSP

The trend is to put Metal Gear Solid games on Playstation systems, so if you want MGS4 buy a PS3!

I'm not sure why everyone is so surprised why it's not coming to 360.

SolidSnakex said:
Sarcasm. Whenever a dev says they can't fit a game on a DVD certain people claim that developer is just lazy.

those people have learning disablities... don't tease them :(

with a game as large as MGS4 will likely be running at 1080(p?) with yummy textures and likely tons of repetition due to load... yeh the team is probably just lazy

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Amir0x said:
But Metal Gear Twin Snakes was on Gamecube and Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance was on Xbox

there's hope!

Substance was a shit port, and Twin Snakes wasn't even directed by Kojima (and it showed). :p

I guess I can see Sony encouraging them to do 1080p, but it's probably not likely to implement. It will be just that encouragement, nothing more.

Jokes aside as for anyone really going to call a team like Kojima Productions anywhere remotely lazy because of "can't fit on a dvd stuff," stop talking. These guys work ethics are just sick, how many times can you list a team that went through military combat scenarios/training and ate real snake meat just to get the proper mind of thinking when making their games. :lol

Mrbob

Amir0x said:
But Metal Gear Twin Snakes was on Gamecube and Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance was on Xbox

there's hope!

Yeah and how did those go. :p

I'll get the superior version of MGS4. You can wait for the potential crappy 360 port.

Holtz

AniHawk said:
MGS2S sold better on the Xbox, if I remember correctly.
Substance did better in the Xbox, because the original version had been out for a while on the PS2, it was cheap to get and Substance came out at full price for the PS2. But i wouldn't compare the MGS2 PS2 sales with the XBox one, that would be really embarassing. :lol

alterego

I hope they don't target 1080P. I just don't think it's worth the trade-offs when less than 1% of the gaming population could appreciate it.

I'd prefer they keep this visual fidelity at 720p and have a rock solid frame-rate:

mgs4ch1.png

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The texture detail in that shot is amazing. This game gets me so excited.

Kojima might be having a tough time learning the PS3, but look at what he's ALREADY doing with it. He's like a calculus wizard having trouble in calculus IV.

Please aim for 60 FPS though...but MGS3 was still great even without it.

Bust out the "Give me all your ****ing money" shots!!

element

The entire trailer was rendered in real-time using our PS3 game engine. All of the models, textures, shaders and effects are in-game.
Without AI, user control camera, blah blah blah. It was a canned cinematic. Still awesome looking though.

alterego

element said:
Without AI, user control camera, blah blah blah. It was a canned cinematic. Still awesome looking though.

How specifically are graphics effected by CPU workloads?

I know we've seen differences between "realtime cutscene" and "in-game footage" in many games (some big, some small) but I'd be interested in knowing how/why this happens.

Relating to that would a more powerful CPU (performing only "typical" CPU work and not necessariy explicitly assisting the GPU) result in better graphics? Would it suffer less of a drop going from realtime cutscene to in-game?

Diatribe

The post is a fake.

The person who pasted that onto there wasn't the actual person. The 100% original copy is on GF. The dude that posted it there is an arsehole for claiming it's his and giving the original post no credit.

Kittonwy

Banned
HomerSimpson-Man said:
I guess I can see Sony encouraging them to do 1080p, but it's probably not likely to implement. It will be just that encouragement, nothing more.

Jokes aside as for anyone really going to call a team like Kojima Productions anywhere remotely lazy because of "can't fit on a dvd stuff," stop talking. These guys work ethics are just sick, how many times can you list a team that went through military combat scenarios/training and ate real snake meat just to get the proper mind of thinking when making their games. :lol

Now not only can Kojima Productions make great games, they're also deadly in combat.
Indifferent2.gif

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I think MGS4 will be "1080p" the same way X360 games are "1080i". Upscaled from 720p. Kojima would be insane to do anything else.

Diatribe said:
The post is a fake.

The person who pasted that onto there wasn't the actual person. The 100% original copy is on GF. The dude that posted it there is an arsehole for claiming it's his and giving the original post no credit.
But is the information correct?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Er....how can Sony "force" them to make it in 1080p? As long as Kojima meets the minimum requirements, can't they do whatever the hell they want? The only way I see Sony having a say in such a matter is if they really did give moneyhats (which wouldn't be surprising).

Cosmozone

Oblivion said:
Er....how can Sony "force" them to make it in 1080p?
The first post mentioned Kojima might have used the wrong word. People here seem to be afraid about that 1080p thing. :lol PS3 and Xbox underpowered, boo!

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Team Kojima....the laziest Game developers of all time :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Where are the rolleyes when you need them?

djkimothy

Kleegamefan said:
Team Kojima....the laziest Game developers of all time :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Where are the rolleyes when you need them?

It's cause they spend too much time radio podcasting that's why. :D

ypo

Why not? If Oblivion can fit on a DVD every game ever made from here on to eternity should be able to. And yet MGS4 can't, that's pure lazyness to me.

WalkMan

Banned
ypo said:
Why not? If Oblivion can fit on a DVD every game ever made from here on to eternity should be able to. And yet MGS4 can't, that's pure lazyness to me.
Or the Hideo Kojima magic.

Wollan

Oblivion reuses alot though. It's not like the enviroment in the gameworld changes that much.
Every dungeon for example is build up of blocks(which also makes every dungeon pretty much look the same).

ypo

Oblivion has like 100 hours of gameplay that's 7gb/100=20 MB per hour. MG4'll probably has 20 hours of gameplay so it's 70 MB*20= 1.4 GB. More proof!

<nu>faust

so u guys say actually some of the sony exclusive developers will choose to utilize the extra storage space that bd-rom offers instead of dealing with compression techniques and trying to fit the game in 1 dvd-rom?!?!..my god i knew it....sony domination & superiority are inevitable. ps3 4life, 360/wii am cry :lol

Chrono

Banned
1080p! Please be true. :O

dark10x said:
I don't like the 1080p bit. Give me 720p with a great framerate.

I'm hoping that 1080p becomes no more common than 720p was on XBOX...

Why?

If they can get it to run at 1080p and have a great frame rate then I don't see what the problem is. Just because you might benefit from it doesn't mean others won't (with 1080p TVs).

This reminds of the Wii/Nintendo fanboys saying HD resolution is a waste because not many have HDTVs. =\

Top Bottom