• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideo Kojima tweets: "What I prepared minutely spending a year became meaningless."

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
At the PlayStation Meeting he was talking about making a cross-compatible NGP/PS3 game. Maybe he feels PSP remasters has stolen the project's thunder?
That's my 'optimistic' interpretation...

I doubt somebody would translate this tweet if it had serious ramifications on Konami, his employer.

hopefully, it was a side project and he'll show us what's he's working on @ e3.

Goon Boon

Banned
My guess is Rising fell apart, that led to his new secret thing falling apart.

Unless something like his dog died I guess.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Sn4ke_911 said:
I think this is his original twitter account. Did he post anything interesting lately?

http://twitter.com/#!/Kojima_Hideo
I think these two are the same message as the OP, but hopefully in more readable Japanese.

Kojima_Hideo 小島秀夫
1年かけて精緻に準備したものが、意味のないものになった。
20 hours ago
小島秀夫

Kojima_Hideo 小島秀夫
やりきれなくて、なかなか前向きにはなれない。
21 hours ago

The Bookerman said:
I doubt somebody would translate this tweet if it had serious ramifications on Konami, his employer.

hopefully, it was a side project and he'll show us what's he's working on @ e3.

Wait, his tweet is translated and it's still in fucking engrish?

Tomat said:
What the hell can you make that would get you kicked out of the game industry?

Shit I want to know now.

He's just being overly dramatic. But my feeling is that his taboo project is a big budget game that doesn't really have a large appeal (like MGS). That's obviously going to be a tough sell to Konami.

daffy

Banned
Boken said:
This + the Raiden voice actor comments can only mean one thing...
Raiden game has been in development more than a year. Pretty sure that game is just an idea right now anyway.

He calls it a "refinement" in the Japanese tweet. I'm betting it was a failed prototype he was working on or something.. or a birthday cake.

Colasante

Chinner said:
does anyone know why kojima actually stays at konami? they're basically a sinking ship.

I believe Kojima is actually a Vice President at Konami. Konami is also responsible for giving him Kojima Productions, which has a couple hundred people working under him.

IrishNinja

Rising, or the Devil game he was on about...this is Konami, the house with one leg these days, and that leg is called MGS. still, with Raiden's voice actor saying he's heard nothing yet, could go either way?

ps be glad we got Snatcher and ZOE2. that's all we're getting.

Tron 2.0

I don't think Kojima is anything but tangentially involved with Rising. Can't imagine he'd be devastated if it fell apart.

Tron 2.0 said:
I don't think Kojima is anything but tangentially involved with Rising. Can't imagine he'd be devastated if it fell apart.

It's the younger staff on the team getting a chance to make a big project, so i'd imagine that he would be upset if that game was canned.

S. L.

Kojima bought the rights to the Dreamcast and has been working on a relaunch for the last year, but Konami won't have it

Colasante

SolidSnakex said:
It's the younger staff on the team getting a chance to make a big project, so i'd imagine that he would be upset if that game was canned.

It's the "minutely" involved part of the quote that makes it seem unlikely to have to do with Rising, but that could always be a fault of the translation.

Colasante said:
It's the "minutely" involved part of the quote that makes it seem unlikely to have to do with Rising, but that could always be a fault of the translation.

Oh, I wasn't saying that he was referring to rising. I was just saying he'd be disappointed if it were canned. This seems to be referring to that taboo game. Of course it could be related to PW PS3 also. But that doesn't make much sense considering that it shouldn't take a year to work on one of those remasters. Developers can finish a PS2 remaster in a few months.

Boken said:
This + the Raiden voice actor comments can only mean one thing...
Kojima is just the executive producer on Rising. I doubt he cares that much about the game. Must be something, where he's personally more involved. Others have mentioned a rejected prototype, but you don't work for a year on a prototype for a project that hasn't been greenlit.

Suzzopher

Gravijah said:
That doesn't seem to be worth tweets like this.

Could have been a really nice meal he had been planning on cooking for friends, now these friends have cancelled. A year of preparing the food is enough to make a man cry.

daffy

Banned
Colasante said:
Translation of the japanese tweet:

"The refinement was prepared over a year, became meaningless."

edit:
brotkasten said:
Others have mentioned a rejected prototype, but you don't work for a year on a prototype for a project that hasn't been greenlit.
Mml3projectlogo.png

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
kojima was carefully tweaking Peace Walker for PSN, then PSP->PS3 games came out and made his refinement MEANINGLESS /speculation

Hylian7

Maybe he means he actively spent a year working on it at some point, not necessarily the past year. Perhaps he was referring to Rising if that's the case?

brotkasten said:
Kojima is just the executive producer on Rising. I doubt he cares that much about the game. Must be something, where he's personally more involved. Others have mentioned a rejected prototype, but you don't work for a year on a prototype for a project that hasn't been greenlit.

Its very feasible that he was, especially if it was a taboo project that wouldn't get prototype funding. Even on the board of Konami, the project would need to go through approval processes. And its much harder to go elsewhere when you're on the board. The nature of the 25 year comment may indicate a fatigue with production itself.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
MalboroRed said:
Wait, his tweet is translated and it's still in fucking engrish?

No? That _EN account uses a translation software device or something. Mikami uses similar to make tweets for his English speaking followers.

Anyway, the sound of the tweets to me is: "The thing I've been working closely on for a year has stopped. I can't be happy nor can I be sad about it."

I think he was slightly too involved with his projected new game, Konami shot it down (not a MGS game I guess), and he wasn't too far into development other than it being deeply planned in his head to where he isn't disappointed (at not having invested so much into it) but is as at the time (for "investing" too much time into it personally).

Y2Kev said:
kojima was carefully tweaking Peace Walker for PSN, then PSP->PS3 games came out and made his refinement MEANINGLESS /speculation
Wouldn't Sony/Konami communicate the project though? Wouldn't Kojima have known about the PSP remasters? I would have hoped that one of the first games Sony thought about rejiging for the remasters series would have been Peace Walker.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Nirolak said:
I think these two are the same message as the OP, but hopefully in more readable Japanese.

Kojima_Hideo 小島秀夫
1年かけて精緻に準備したものが、意味のないものになった。
20 hours ago
小島秀夫

=

The thing that I spent one year delicately preparing became meaningless

Nirolak said:
Kojima_Hideo 小島秀夫
やりきれなくて、なかなか前向きにはなれない。
21 hours ago

=

I can't take it anymore (this is unbearable), I can't say positive.

Top Bottom